• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low Winter Sun - Season 1 - Mark Strong & Lennie James crime drama - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
K5rhMT0.jpg

Low Winter Sun premieres on AMC after Breaking Bad on Sunday, August 11th. The police drama set in Detroit is based the British miniseries of the same name and boasts a talented cast that includes Mark Strong, Lennie James, and David Costabile among others. There are some concerns that the television landscape is becoming overly saturated with grim, antihero dramas, and this show appears to fit in that mold. It's just a matter of whether the acting, plotting, or setting provide enough of a unique look to transcend the genre. The first season will consist of 10 episodes.
AMC said:
The AMC Original Series Low Winter Sun is a contemporary story of murder, deception, revenge and corruption in a world where the line between cops and criminals is blurred. Low Winter Sun begins with the murder of a cop by a fellow Detroit detective. Seemingly the perfect crime, in reality the murder activates forces that will forever alter the detectiveís life, and pull him into the heart of the Detroit underworld. Based on the award-winning 2006 British miniseries of the same name, Low Winter Sun stars Mark Strong (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Zero Dark Thirty) and co-stars Lennie James (The Walking Dead, Jericho, Snatch). Chris Mundy (Criminal Minds, Cold Case) serves as writer, executive producer and showrunner. Season one consists of ten, one-hour episodes.

VZePBrX.jpg

Cast:
  • Mark Strong as Frank Agnew
  • Lennie James as Joe Geddes
  • David Costabile as Simon Boyd
  • James Ransone as Damon Callis
  • Billy Lush as Nick Paflas
  • Sprague Grayden as Maya Callis
  • Althena Karkanis as Dani Kahlil
  • Ruben Santiago-Hudson as Charles Dawson
AJCBWtH.jpg
JmzBXiT.jpg
i8BgwEQ.jpg
sSCOZHg.jpg

Videos:
Links
News:
Promo Pics:

Reviews:
- Tim Goodman @ THR: Low Winter Sun: TV Review
The Bottom Line: A solid, if a little too somber, addition to AMC's drama roster.

Kaladin

I'll be giving this a shot. Guess I'll go ahead and add it to my Amazon Instant Video subscriptions. AMC doesn't like Hulu for some reason.

Kaladin

I really hope this, Halt and Catch Fire and Turn are good and successful. I really love the casts and premises for all three so I want them to be hits like MM and BB.

First I've heard of those series. Turn looks really good and Halt & Catch Fire looks ok.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
First I've heard of those series. Turn looks really good and Halt & Catch Fire looks ok.

I would say I'm of the opposite feeling. Turn I think is the harder of the two to pull off. Spies and intrigue in 1778 is a bit abstract for most people and properly portraying the setting isn't easy either.

Meanwhile H&CF is basically Mad Men in the 80s tech industry at its most basic. So I feel like that's a show they can get running out the gate, where as Turn might take some time to really develop into something great.

Back on topic, Low Winter Sun I think will do well because they have a great lead in with the first few episodes covering the original British mini-series that was really solid and interesting, so hopefully the rest of the season can maintain that quality and build off of it.

I would say I'm of the opposite feeling. Turn I think is the harder of the two to pull off. Spies and intrigue in 1778 is a bit abstract for most people and properly portraying the setting isn't easy either.

Meanwhile H&CF is basically Mad Men in the 80s tech industry at its most basic. So I feel like that's a show they can get running out the gate, where as Turn might take some time to really develop into something great.

Back on topic, Low Winter Sun I think will do well because they have a great lead in with the first few episodes covering the original British mini-series that was really solid and interesting, so hopefully the rest of the season can maintain that quality and build off of it.

Agreed, 80's tech industry sounds ripe for an awesome show. That's the one that's going to be run by a Southland Writer/Producer as well.

Kaladin

I think the historic background is what makes Turn the more interesting of the two. I agree though that it would be harder to pull off, but given how well they have done Hell On Wheels it shouldn't be a problem.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tim Goodman's review confirmed what I had deduced from the promo photos: that this show is a Serious Drama, with little to no humor, at least in the early going, which is a shame considering the fact that all of the actors involved have very nice smiles.

Clevinger

Glad to see James Ransone getting work.

May try it out, but the trailer didn't look so hot and I can't get over feeling it's silly to remake a show and cast the original actor again.

Tim Goodman's review confirmed what I had deduced from the promo photos: that this show is a Serious Drama, with little to no humor, at least in the early going, which is a shame considering the fact that all of the actors involved have very nice smiles.
Unfortunately, that's very similar to what Maureen Ryan and Ryan McGee said about it on their podcast last week. It's concerning, but I'll watch at least a few based on the cast and see how it is.

RS4-

Oh fuck, Trombley and Ray from Generation Kill are in this.

Mark Strong and Lennie James are the best.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Unfortunately, that's very similar to what Maureen Ryan and Ryan McGee said about it on their podcast last week. It's concerning, but I'll watch at least a few based on the cast and see how it is.

Yeah, I mean, a dearth of humor in a drama series isn't a deal breaker for me or anything, especially if the drama parts are actually good, but it is a tad disappointing.

What's wrong with a serious drama and why is it concerning? I'm looking forward to it.
There's nothing wrong with serious drama. My main concern is that we're seeing a lot of similar shows these days, and one thing that's lacking in the third(?) generation of these shows is some of the tonal variety that was very useful to shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, etc... If you're just going to be a grim show about cops, you'd better be a damn good one.

- Variety review
It’s hard to think of a more compelling combination than the British duo of Mark Strong and Lennie James, and their pairing alone (sans accents) is enough to recommend checking out “Low Winter Sun,” an AMC redo of a 2006 U.K. miniseries, with Strong reprising his central role. Their appeal is tested, however, by a too-familiar tale of police corruption, a relentlessly grim tone and an abundance of terse, jargon-riddled dialogue. Riding piggyback on “Breaking Bad’s” last stand, the series merits a look, certainly, but the first two episodes mostly live down to the title — throwing off limited heat, and even less light.

Am I the only one that feels like FX is doing a better job of managing shows than AMC?
Nope - I hear that from a lot of people. FX's push to dramatically increase the amount of original content they produce in the next few years is ambitious and a little scary in terms of scale, but up until now they've done a great job.

- EW.com review (bottom of the page)
If you don't know who Mark Strong is, you won't soon forget him after this. Bald and sharp-boned, with a gaze so fierce you can practically feel him peeling your eyelids back, the British actor has reprised his role as homicide detective Frank Agnew in AMC's version of this U.K. miniseries. The drama's just as intense as Strong, who's clearly earned his last name. B+

Wiktor

Really like the idea to set it in Detroit. That alone elevated Detroit 1-8-7 to something good and that was run of the mill cop procedural.

JeTmAn81

I love to hate Ziggy Sobotka. Doing a rewatch of The Wire Season 2 right now and I was just wondering what that guy was up to.

Am I the only one that feels like FX is doing a better job of managing shows than AMC? AMC has had a lot of duds recently.

I think the only network I would say is doing a better job is HBO right now, and you could make an argument that FX is doing better than them.

AMC has some great potential in the pipeline though.

- Maureen Ryan's Review: 'Low Winter Sun' Gives Off No Heat
Mark Strong, who played the main role in the U.K. miniseries, also plays the lead in the U.S. version, and he and co-star Lennie James turn in their usual capable performances. But the show ends up being a labored, uninspired compilation of cop-show cliches: bodies on morgue slabs, charged dialogue between mismatched partners and sketchy characters who are trying to get away with something. On "Low Winter Sun," despite the presences of fine actors like James Ransone ("The Wire") and David Costabile ("Breaking Bad"), many scenes come off as overwritten and stiff.

ivysaur12

Banned
DARK DRAMA MIDDLE-AGED MALE ANTI-HERO DEPRESSING SETTING DARK DARK DARK DARK DARK KILLER DARK

No thank you, AMC, I will not watch your paint-by-numbers cable drama. Or, I will, but I'm not happy about it!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hmph, those reviews are about what I expected after watching the initial trailer, but I'm nevertheless disappointed. Let's hope the show finds itself sooner rather than later.

What's wrong with a serious drama and why is it concerning? I'm looking forward to it.

Nothing, but there are so many serious dramas out there already (and many of them in the cop/murder genre) that this show needs to do something to set itself apart, at least tonally.

AMC has had a lot of duds recently.

Not really. Their output is really tiny - Low Winter Sun is their first new original scripted series in nearly two years. Hell on Wheels is pretty lifeless (though I hope things will change with a new showrunner in charge of season 3) and The Walking Dead has its problems, but other than that they're doing fine.

- Black Hollywood Live Video Interview: Ruben Santiago Hudson
In this episode, Black Hollywood Live hosts Derrial Christon, Jesse Janedy and Courtney Stewart interview special guest Ruben Santiago Hudson. Ruben Santiago-Hudson is not only a Tony and Obie award-winning actor, but also an accomplished writer and director. He recently received the 2013 Lucille Lortel and Obie Awards for Best Direction of August Wilsons The Piano Lesson. Ruben stars in AMC’s gritty crime drama Low Winter Sun which films in Detroit and debuts on Sunday, August 11. Low Winter Sun about dark anitheros, boasts a stellar ensemble castwhich includes Mark Strong and is based on a 2006 British mini-series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom