• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Launch Expectations

People seem to be disappointed by the news coming out of Gamescom of a lot launch games confirming that they aren't 60fps or they aren't 1080p or in some cases... both. I can understand being upset about this... but honestly this is not out of the ordinary. In fact, good launch games are out of the ordinary.

I think part of the reason why people thought this gen was going to have a bigger bump at launch is that the systems are closer to typical PCs than older generations. While this is true... if you are developing games as PC games the PS4/Xbox1 are very middle of the road PCs. A game needs to be coded to take advantage of what these systems are capable of because if you are just porting over PC code you aren't going to get great results. PC can use brute force of extremely powerful hardware to overcome the fact that games aren't designed to specific hardware (like nothing is designed specifically for a GTX... but the titan is so absurdly powerful it just makes everything better). So the fact that these games weren't built to take advantage of these consoles means they will be pretty mediocre.

As with any other gen... the standout games is most likely to be games made specifically for the platform.

For instance the 360 launch lineup was as follows in the US:

Amped 3
Call of Duty 2
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Every Party
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
Gun
Kameo: Elements of Power
Madden NFL 06
NBA 2K6
NBA Live 06
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
NHL 2K6
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Project Gotham Racing 3
Quake 4
Ridge Racer 6
Tetris: The Grandmaster ACE
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

Guess what... Most of those games look awful. Tony hawk is a bit of a joke now but it was pretty huge then - so that was a pretty huge cross-gen game, like BF4 or CoD now, and the graphics are just complete crap. The sports games were all awful... madden didn't even have announcers. The games that stood out and still hold up ok were designed for the system.... Kameo and PGR3 specifically... also Condemned was strong and still pretty solid.

Oh look, a launch NFS game. Wanna see a bullshot of it?
1132277072.jpg

That's a bullshot!!! Look at that nonsense. That's the same hardware that Forza 4 is on.

Developers are more entrenched in the "HD era" now than they were then - and budgets are bigger, the architecture is more familiar, etc. I get all of that. This launch will likely be stronger than previous ones but not by as much as a lot of people are hoping. Most games aren't going to be 1080p/60fps with amazing particle effects and lighting. The games designed specifically for these systems - like Forza and Killzone, will be the games that stand out. Much like PGR3 for the 360 or Resistance for the PS3...

I recorded a podcast about this if you would like to hear more of my sophomoric explanation why launch games are usually crap.

Also... EA just had a conference a few months from launch didn't show a second of gameplay in Madden or FIFA. Given their previous generational transitions I think it's safe to assume those games are going to be complete garbage. NBA 2k also... there's like one picture of Lebron's head. Are they keeping it a secret because it's fun to have secrets? Or does it suck...

Call of Duty 2 360 launch game.

Call of Duty 3 PS3 launch game

TL;DR - Rushing towards launch, cross gen games are mostly going to be crap. These consoles are like PCs, yes, but mid range PCs. If you don't take advantage of the hardware you're going to end up with mediocre performance.

Pro tip: If you want the best graphics possible, no matter if a new system just launched or not - get a PC. It's cheaper in the long haul anyway when you factor in software.

P.S. - I expect to get yelled at for the transgressions of these developers, that's ok. I'm not apologizing for them though. I'm just saying we had no reason to expect otherwise - judging by every console launch ever.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Good topic

PS4 launch game:

ieMF3148lYzoM.gif

ibjAScO62m53mq.gif

untitled-1kxu07.gif

killzownedppsgz.gif

Will run @ 60 fps and this is multiplayer

Yeah, imagine what's going to happen 2-3 years from now. Going to be incredible.

LEGGZZZZ

Good topic

PS4 launch game:

ibjAScO62m53mq.gif

untitled-1kxu07.gif

killzownedppsgz.gif

Yeah, imagine what's going to happen 2-3 years from now. Going to be incredible.

I remember back in Feb when people said this game looks like something that could have be possible on PS3 in later life. Ridiculous.

Kydd BlaZe

Nice thread. A lot of people definitely need to get their expectations in check.

& those Killzone gifs look incredible.

nib95

Banned
Good topic

PS4 launch game:

ieMF3148lYzoM.gif

ibjAScO62m53mq.gif

untitled-1kxu07.gif

killzownedppsgz.gif

1080p as well.

Should also be mentioned that DriveClub is also targeting 1080p/60fps and looks like this.

5Cj7.gif

dcf7az27.gif

My launch expectations are blown away.

thefit

Nice thread. A lot of people definitely need to get their expectations in check.

& those Killzone gifs look incredible.

Yeah don't expect to be blown away by launch titles that's just silly here is something that is new this time around though patches! This is the first gen were we will at least have the benefit of patches almost immediately to fix issues with games.

You all have to admit that the Dreamcast launch lineup was maybe the best ever though because it was.

Jonboy

Do we know yet if Infamous will be locked at 30? That game is so gorgeous, I really hope they get it running smooth.

Edit: Yes, I know it's not actually "launch."

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Me too. I have it preordered even though every bone in my body is telling me it's going to suck. Hopefully the launch halo is enough to carry it.

I'm hoping they can do a fully featured 1080p/60fps version on PS4. I remember the launch versions of the last gen iterations were gimped in features. I see no reason why we should be given the shaft this time.

I'm hoping they can do a fully featured 1080p/60fps version on PS4. I remember the launch versions of the last gen iterations were gimped in features. I see no reason why we should be given the shaft this time.

It's a new engine so I wouldn't be surprised if it's gimped on features. Depends on how long ago they started development I guess. Hopefully they are better prepared than last gen. I mean EA Sports always has generational issues (even skipped year 1 on the ps1 because it was such crap) but the start of this last gen was brutal for sports games.

Also - all of these amazing looking gifs - first party games designed specifically for the system - not cross gen multiplats. There's a reason why no one has even seen BF4 on a xbox one and just recently saw it for the first time on a ps4....

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
PS4/Xbone launch are about ten times better than PS3 and 360.

Games that not only look good, but will also be fun and a good amount will be 60 fps.

Wurdfurd

I'm suuuper hyped for KZ:Shadowfall. I'm picking up a PS4 day 1 for it
plus i also need a new bluray player
Edit: Driveclub

Not a lot on XB1 grabs my attention right now, but I still plan on picking it up for COD: Ghosts and Forza, then eventually Titanfall.

The majority of my holiday hype is for BF4 which I will be playing on its proper platform.

KZ smokes everything on PS3 so badly. it's ridiculous. the direct feed footage has left me in shock. i haven't really gotten loud and riled up by any of the PS4 launch titles' graphics at all, but consider me a believer now. and i don't even really like MP.

i don't think i could say that about any of the PS3 launch titles. sure, some of them looked obviously better, but none of them utterly crushed some of the better looking PS2 games.

Can't really argue with your examples, I think it's just harder to control our expectations with such a long previous generation, and a pc market that has shown us what technology is now capable of. I am trying to control my expectations, so hopefully I am not disappointed, and I really don't think I will be.

ButchCat

I love how people are spamming KZ gifs left and right in all the threads on topic or not and I don't blame them the goddamn thing is a feast to the eyes.

GamerJM

Banned
I think this topic makes a valid point, but it's not always true. Rouge Leader was a Gamecube launch game and we hardly saw anything that looked better than that for the entire generation (in fact, up until recently it was rare for a game to look better than that on a Nintendo platform). I think it's fair to be disappointed, especially if we're expecting 30 FPS or certain resolutions to be standard.

drproton

I'm primarily a PC gamer, and still find these games impressive. Too often the PC version of a game is just scaled up from the console version. At least now we can also get this kind of lighting and particle spam instead of just higher res textures and more AA.

I think Killzone will look good for sure, coz that's what Guerilla do. Just look how beautiful their Vita KZ game is.
X-Gen games will be a mixed bag though, you have DICE saying PS4/XBONE are superior in every way in graphics, fps, players, while IW seem pretty candid in saying Ghosts is the same game across the generations, just PS4/XBONE will look nicer.

I have no faith in AC4 or Watch Dogs blowing anyone away on next gen, it's not Ubi's style. Sports games too.

ALSO:
From your list, I'd argue that Kameo and Condemned still look "nice". Hardly impressive, but for launch games they held their own for quite a while.
Don't forget how nice DOA4 is too, that was released a month after launch.
And Oblivion, just look how amazing that game was and how it blew away everything from the previous generation. Oblivion came out just 4 months after 360's launch and what companies like to now call "Launch window". Oblivion was a must buy for a whole generation, how many "launch window" games will be that for PS4/XBONE? huh?

OP, you keep tossing all these devs under the bus and saying their games are going to look and perform like shit on next gen consoles, has there even been any launch title confirmed to be 720p yet? The only one that seems iffy is BF4...

And almost every launch title I've seen has had smooth framerates with the exception of Dead Rising 3.

I was expecting the launch games to look like current gen with better performance, maybe slightly nicer looking.

Killzone and Driveclub have blown my wiener into oblivion.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What I find impressive is that, for instance in UE4, every particle emits light to the environment.

ue4_elemental_gpu_parjxuop.png

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm interested in seeing Fable Legends (UE4 confirmed) footage for the crazy magic particles we're bound to see.

It's only a tool in the toolbox, it's up to the game to use it in the desired and possible quantity. Knack apparently also uses UE4, but has been ok, but not mind-blowing up till now.

GPU-generated particles were one central aspect of the UE4 Elemental demo. Even in KZ:SF they are still CPU-generated. That shows some untapped potential there.

However, although I also expect the quality of games to improve over the generation, I don't expect that drastic level of increase that we saw this generation. Developers are already used to HD content pipelines and rendering with programmable shaders.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
expecting UPS to call it quits before sending out all the ps4 on friday.
I'm not sure if you're joking, but I wonder how they will handle that. How do UPS / Fed Ex / etc. usually handle massive product launches?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lol, the thread is primarily around cross gen launch games, not exclusives...

But yeah, I'm not expecting much. CoD Ghosts got a lot of laughs at it when it showed off the next gen version but it's going to remain focused on current gen until the new consoles build a solid userbase. I would still expect this stuff to happen for the next year.

At retail I expect to not be gouged, or forced to by accessories

At home I just expect to be able to get into a game within 5 minutes without having to do a ton of patching or account set up. The bar isn't exactly high.

nib95

Banned
Lol, the thread is primarily around cross gen launch games, not exclusives...

But yeah, I'm not expecting much. CoD Ghosts got a lot of laughs at it when it showed off the next gen version but it's going to remain focused on current gen until the new consoles build a solid userbase. I would still expect this stuff to happen for the next year.

If the exclusives can pull these kind of visuals and performance off, then cross platform games can too. They're probably still getting used to the hardware, and it's no surprise first party devs are ahead of the curve on this front.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If the exclusives can pull these kind of visuals and performance off, then cross platform games can too. They're probably still getting used to the hardware, and it's no surprise first party devs are ahead of the curve on this front.

Oh, I know. But that's the same with his examples, the cross gen 360 stuff was AWFUL looking. It's more showing to not burn the devs at the crosses for not immediately being on par with the exclusive games, they have alternate focuses for now.

Kuro

It's only a tool in the toolbox, it's up to the game to use it in the desired and possible quantity. Knack apparently also uses UE4, but has been ok, but not mind-blowing up till now.

GPU-generated particles were one central aspect of the UE4 Elemental demo. Even in KZ:SF they are still CPU-generated. That shows some untapped potential there.

However, although I also expect the quality of games to improve over the generation, I don't expect that drastic level of increase that we saw this generation. Developers are already used to HD content pipelines and rendering with programmable shaders.

Knack doesn't use UE4

I have yet to see any cross-gen game have sub-1080p besides possibly BF4 on next gen consoles, so I'm not even sure he's talking about.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Third parties are also in a bad position right now when it comes to pushing next gen versions since most of their games are cross gen and have to be optimized for five or six platforms. Their teams are probably stretched to the limit and can't take advantage of the higher scope or more efficient rendering pathways next gen consoles have. Once current gen is dropped and they start focusing purely on next gen and PC there will be a massive jump.

Top Bottom