• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Launch Expectations

nib95

Banned
Third parties are also in a bad position right now when it comes to pushing next gen versions since most of their games are cross gen and have to be optimized for five or six platforms. Once current gen is dropped and they start focusing purely on next gen and PC there will be a massive jump.

This is very true. Later in to the gen when they don't have to worry about Wii, PS3, 360 and Wii U (jk) ports, they'll have a lot more man power and resources free'd up.

Have they really been showing cross gen games not on PC though?

Not too many, but let's look at them:

Assassin's Creed 4: 1080p/30 SP and 1080p/60 in MP on PS4
COD: Ghosts: Will easily be 1080p, and 60fps of course
FIFA 14, Madden, NBA: I'll be shocked if they're 720p
NFS Rivals: Same as above, I'll be surprised if it's 720p
Watch Dogs: No reason to think it won't be 1080p/30

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
My expectations are to be blown away, of course this feeling will not be at launch because I will play in store kiosk first chance I guess.

Speaking of which...where are they? Consoles launching in November, thinking October maybe late September we shall see them popping up in GameStops.

Yoday

I think what makes things different this generation is the gap between consoles and PC's going into the generation. In generations past the new consoles were generally powerful enough to be able to surpass what even the best PC's were doing. However, we are starting this generation off with PC's able to vastly outperform the new consoles. I think it comes down to a psychological thing where people feel like the consoles should be performing at the same level of high end PC's from the very start, and they aren't. I can look at something like Killzone and it blows my mind. That game is easily the best looking game I have ever seen, and will be running in 1080p with at least a rock solid 30fps in SP and 60fps in MP. But even still when I hear about the PS4 version of BF4 lagging behind the PC version I start to panic, even when I don't think the game looks as good as Killzone.

I know this feeling will pass though, and a much bigger deal is being made out of it than it should be. Developers are still optimizing their launch games, and what people have seen are slapped together builds hanging together by a thread and running at lower settings in order to keep things running smoothly. By this time next year we are going to start to see some truly amazing looking games on these consoles, as developers will have had some time to learn the systems and games will be developed specifically for them. I also think we are going to be entering a time of huge diminishing returns this generation. We are already seeing it in PC games where the difference between Ultra and High settings are completely unnoticeable. Unless 4k adoption rates go through the roof in the next few years, the PS4 will be plenty powerful enough to keep up with PC's with only minor concessions. I'm a bit more worried about the XBone, which is why I don't currently plan on investing in one, but only time will tell.

People are restless and eager for this overly long generation to come to an end. Once the PS4 and XBone launch, console gamers aren't going to care about this crap anymore.

OP, you keep tossing all these devs under the bus and saying their games are going to look and perform like shit on next gen consoles, has there even been any launch title confirmed to be 720p yet? The only one that seems iffy is BF4...

And almost every launch title I've seen has had smooth framerates with the exception of Dead Rising 3.

Most are upscaled. And most are running on PCs.

You don't have to believe me. Get excited. And then let's talk after launch.

Mrbob

I want to see Madden 25 in action on PS4. I need me a new Football game badly.

Me too. I have it preordered even though every bone in my body is telling me it's going to suck. Hopefully the launch halo is enough to carry it.

I've given up on trusting Tiburon to deliver. They can't even fix the wind meter that was broken in last years game. Expecting the next gen versions to be the same garbage as the current gen games.

Quasar

My expectation is despite pre-ordering pretty early I get a call from my store saying they didn't get enough for launch day.

Horp

Regarding KZ:SF
Someone said "Will run @ 60 fps", I mean common the developers haven't even promised that, and developers have a hard time even keeping the promises they make. KZ:SF is targeting 60, but is currently around 30 with dips to 15. If you expect solid 60 you are set up for disappointment. I expect unlocked framerates between 60, 30 and sometimes 15 when lots of stuff are on the screen.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Someone said "Will run @ 60 fps", I mean common the developers haven't even promised that, and developers have a hard time even keeping the promises they make. KZ:SF is targeting 60, but is currently around 30 with dips to 15. If you expect solid 60 you are set up for disappointment. I expect unlocked framerates between 60, 30 and sometimes 15 when lots of stuff are on the screen.

You don't come out and say your game is going to target 60 fps and that it's important for MP unless you're confident you'll reach that goal.

Also, you're wrong. The footage at gamescom that was shown live was running close to 60 fps, probably 45-60 fps range.

All other footage has been encoded at 30 fps, and any dips to 15 have been erratic and probably just certain parts of their streaming engine not being fully optimized.

Most are upscaled. And most are running on PCs.

You don't have to believe me. Get excited. And then let's talk after launch.

Fair enough, just have to wait and see then. I'll be shocked if they're just upscaled and not native. The PS4 and Xbone are essentially PC parts so I'll be surprised if they're having trouble with them.

I want to see Madden 25 in action on PS4. I need me a new Football game badly.

Me too. I have it preordered even though every bone in my body is telling me it's going to suck. Hopefully the launch halo is enough to carry it.

I've given up on trusting Tiburon to deliver. They can't even fix the wind meter that was broken in last years game. Expecting the next gen versions to be the same garbage as the current gen games.
http://youtu.be/5aQnmAaQaTE

Doesnt look to hot to be honest

nib95

Banned

No it's not. Only higher frame rate footage we have is Blim's from the UI test at the conference, and it was running at an average of around 50fps according to Blim, with a few drops here and there. No reason to believe they won't be able to get it at 60fps given it's already at roughly 50fps. Look at how much the Sony first party games have improved graphically already, in such a short space of time.

Fair enough, just have to wait and see then. I'll be shocked if they're just upscaled and not native. The PS4 and Xbone are essentially PC parts so I'll be surprised if they're having trouble with them.

They are mid range PC parts. So if you aren't developing to their strengths, which the final dev kits just came out last month, you're going to get mid range pc performance.

Horp

No it's not. Only higher frame rate footage we have is Blim's from the UI test at the conference, and it was running at an average of around 50fps according to Blim, with a few drops here and there. No reason to believe they won't be able to get it at 60fps given it's already at roughly 50fps. Look at how much the Sony first party games have improved graphically already, in such a short space of time.

Average around 50?? It's vertically synced, yes? 50 would mean terrible tearing. I saw the 60 fps video on gamersyde, and it was only 60 during some moments.

And if your game is dipping to 15, getting it to stable 60 in a few months isn't really doable. We'll see, but I'm totally willing to eat it up if this game releases and is solid 60. But if its not, which it wont be, then I hope you're there to eat up all your extreme expectations.

Edit:
Rewatched the gamersyde 60 fps video. There's a bit more 60 fps than I remembered. But still, that level is nowhere near as complex as the darker level in the long video.

I merely expect all of these to hit my doorstep without delay

MioIiGZ.png

THxzLMs.png

amDugMw.png

krcbkFl.png

DRF1qAy.png

ov9wAF8.png

nib95

Banned
Average around 50?? It's vertically synced, yes? 50 would mean terrible tearing. I saw the 60 fps video on gamersyde, and it was only 60 during some moments.

And if your game is dipping to 15, getting it to stable 60 in a few months isn't really doable. We'll see, but I'm totally willing to eat it up if this game releases and is solid 60. But if its not, which it wont be, then I hope you're there to eat up all your extreme expectations.

Edit:
Rewatched the gamersyde 60 fps video. There's a bit more 60 fps than I remembered. But still, that level is nowhere near as complex as the darker level in the long video.

I didn't see any drops to 15fps in Blims video. Probably running around 45-60fps through most of it. In the extended 6min clip (which is encoded at only 30fps), only in one or two rare moments does it drop to anything noticeable, and those could just be glitches for all we know. Remember, this build is still alpha.

I don't know why people continue to doubt GG lol. They're capable of astonishing and always optimise late cycle. As do Evolution.

There is obviously a slim chance they don't hit they're intended target, but given its already as smooth as it is, performance is not going to be anything to worry about. It already looks spectacular too.

I gotta say I loved COD 2. Just me?

It was really fun. That's the thing I didn't really mention is that the games are usually quite fun at the time. Maybe it's the launch glow - or just the jump over the prior gen - but the games are always fun. They just aren't indicative of what's to come.

Yoday

Crew mode and My Team are being left out of the PS4/XB1 version.
This never made sense to me. Why do they cut features from next gen versions of sports games? They cynic in me thinks they know people are going to drop the money on the next gen version anyway, and leaving out features on purpose gives them something to add in later years.

Lucent

Nah, you're not alone. It was one of the first games I played on the 360 kiosks before the 360 was launched. It blew me away.

But now there are so many first person shooters out following that I've become pretty indifferent to them. Killzone and Destiny I will give a go, though.

Also, I will say I'm not disappointed with how the launch games are looking. Killzone, Drive Club, and Infamous Second Son look amazing. I think people forget how the generation starts.

AOC83

Banned
I expected next gen graphics at launch and Sony is delivering that. What third parties do is another story but i´m not really interested in most of their games coming around launch anyway (Battlefield 4 depending on the performance and AC 4 are on my list).

I remember dropping my jaw when I fired up COD2 for the first time on my 360. I also got NFS: Most Wanted and Kameo and both blew me away. The picture in the OP doesn't do it justice, it still looks pretty damn good today when in motion. And the richness and details of the world in Kameo was amazing at launch.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
By the way, next-gen makes me almost more excited about heavily decreased booting, loading and waiting times than visuals. If the launch titles can deliver on that (e.g. if the few seconds it took to jump from OS into a multiplayer game during Sony's gc press conference are not faked) I am more than satisfied.

casmith07

My launch expectations are for the hardware to turn on and function when I plug it in.

Everything after that is pure, unadulterated, delicious gravy. I am so hype for next gen.

Your claim is baseless.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
So a few saying they loved COD 2 as well. Maybe the solution is never to look at PC games so you don't know what your missing :)

I think I am easy pleased anyway. When I played the Rage demo on 360 I just kept think that I wanted a Fallout game that looked like that.

I'm not worried about the 3rd party performance stuff because all the 1st party showings are REALLY GOOD and shows the consoles are very capable. There is a definite improvement and trend going towards particle effects in next gen launch, I fuckin love them!

iTerzT4GbI1IU.gif

Terrible. It's tradition for me to grab a sports game at launch but between NBA 2K cutting features and EA Sports being EA Sports, I don't think it's going to happen.
Well by default im buying madden Im a sucker for it and already playing m25 early release. With that said, yes im still dissapointed.

BigDug13

Can't really argue with your examples, I think it's just harder to control our expectations with such a long previous generation, and a pc market that has shown us what technology is now capable of. I am trying to control my expectations, so hopefully I am not disappointed, and I really don't think I will be.

Yeah, the fact that the systems have similar architecture as PC's and we can guess at what video card level each machine is equal to, we're setting up expectations that it can at least produce similar visuals as PC games at those specs.

Duxxy3

I only expect to have fun and use a controller that I fell in love with back in february. Been stuck on the DS3 for so long, I can't wait to put it down.

cormack12

Gold Member
Good post, I was going to post the CoD 3 example myself yesterday but couldn't confirm which SS were from PS3. Another good example would be GR:AW2.

The biggest leaps (from gameplay vids) appear to be lighting, particles, LoD of in-game assets and density of AI assets. Which is great. I do feel from what I've read and seen too many developers are obsessed with creating vast, spanning open worlds on next gen hardware. I'd sooner a small town where you can enter every building and quickly learn the 'map'.

Yoday

I subbed to Gamefly recently, so I have been playing console games again, and I have to say that the most important thing that the next gen needs to accomplish is a resolution high enough, and textures sharp enough that things don't look like a complete blurry mess. As long as PS4 games are at least close to 1080p console only gamers are going to be absolutely blown away by the difference.

Top Bottom