• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: 999 - 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Wholey shitballs!! (Some Marked Spoilers)

Falcs

Banned
OMFG! This game is AWESOME!!

So I had read a few things about this game here on GAF over the last year or so and had been meaning to get it. I finally managed to get my hands on it and I pulled out my DS for the first time in like, 3 years. And wholey crap, this game is so damn good!!

So I just finished my 3rd playthrough. For those of you who have already finished this game...
My first ending was
the axe ending. I must admit, I was bummed that my journey came to a sudden end, but I wasn't all that surprised about Clover going nuts after what happened to Snake. I kind of saw it coming.
The next ending I got
was the knife ending. This one I did NOT see coming. Again, I didn't make it out alive! Dammit! And the killer? It wasn't revealed!!
But I bet I know who it was. Clover was at it again! I know it! That cute, adorable, little biatch! First she mysteriously goes missing, and then poor Lotus gets it in the chest, and then all of a sudden... BAM, I'm out. Just like that. It HAS to have been Clover.
And now I just finished my 3rd playthrough and the ending I got
was the Submarine ending. This ending was NUTS! Everyone is dead? WTF?! Was it Zero? Was it the guy I found in the Captain's room in the Axe Ending? And that final scene with Junpei and Kanny, hot diggidy damn! Such an awesome story.

This game is amazing! I'm getting feels from this game that I haven't experienced since I played through the Phoenix Wright games 3 years ago.
Anybody who hasn't played this game again, you NEED to get it NAAAOWW!
So now I'm about to start my 4th playthrough. There are still so many unanswered questions. What's with all the stuff about information being transferred telepathically (ie. The picture of the dog)? What's the full story with the pharmaceutical company? Why were Junpei and June chosen for the game? Was it just a coincidence? Who is Zero? What's with the stuff about the Titanic? I must have answers!!

Back into it I go!

We got another one Gaf!

2ake3ir.gif

#proud

Tizoc

In regards to your 2nd ending spoiler
Beat the game 100% then we'll tell you ;p
Enjoy mate and do check out it's sequel Virtue's Last Reward.
999 was a blast and I recently got my friend hooked to it XD.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
*high five*

I'd say you can safely wait a while before playing VLR. I was also very late to the party on 999 and LOVED it. So I started playing VLR right after X number of 999 playthroughs and got a bit burned out. Will pick up VLR again at a later stage for shure though!

FEED ME YOUR DELICIOUS REACTIONS

YO DUDE NONE OF THAT

He fixed his spoiler, you should fix your quote of the spoiler.

Edit: Nevermind we're all cool!

Hey I spoilerized that ish! Alright fine, I'll fix it.

Yeah but it's easy to think that if you've SEEN the ending, the killer's identity isn't a significant spoiler. If I were OP I would totally click that and find out stuff I shouldn't. All good now, though. =]

Ocaso

Just a tip regarding your next playthrough: use a guide. The criteria for the last two endings are very specific and arbitrary, and you're unlikely to stumble onto it on your own. But yeah, the game spins one hell of an intriguing yarn.

Nibel

I don't read books and prefer games with thought-through gameplay

999 is one of the best games ever - makes everybody who plays it a believer in visual novels. This game manages to create such a crazy tension and horrorfying atmosphere in the palm of your hands which is such a great achievement. I mean almost no AAA game reaches its level when it comes to establish its scenario with its dangers etc.

Play VLR, asap

Just a tip regarding your next playthrough: use a guide. The criteria for the last two endings are very specific and arbitrary, and you're unlikely to stumble onto it on your own. But yeah, the game spins one hell of an intriguing yarn.

I agree with this, sorta. By the time you have three endings... all the endings that are left have very specific paths. You might attempt to get one of them without a spoiler free guide, but you may end up replaying the game several times in your attempts to discover the last endings, seeing only things you've already seen. It can get frustrating, even if your playthroughs are now dramatically shorter.

Amazing, amazing game! The story and final twist are truly great. Only problem is that it made the ending of another great game launched this year a little bit "duh"

So now I'm about to start my 4th playthrough. There are still so many unanswered questions. Who is Zero?

Question to people who played this a lot. If 999 and VLR were spoilered to me by revealing who is Zero and that VLR's
action is taking place on the moon
is it still worth playing or because I know the whole "shocking thing" playing is pointless?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I never played this game, is it worth buying it from Amazon and paying international shipment just to try it?

Another one I heard was good too is Ghost Trick, should I get both? And maybe The World Ends With You too. Damn, now that I have a 3DS I'm realizing how many games I missed due to not owning a DS.

Personally one of the best parts/ twists for me was not a death scene/murder but
when you find out Akane basically runs shit, the amazing ending with Jumpei and her real number was 0 and her brother's being 9, do the math and it still ends up working for their respective doors :O

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Enjoy! 999 is anazing.

And now the NA 3DS eShop version of VLR has fixed the save glitch and reduced the price, there's never a better time to jump in to the Zero Escape games.

I never played this game, is it worth buying it from Amazon and paying international shipment just to try it?

Another one I heard was good too is Ghost Trick, should I get both? And maybe The World Ends With You too. Damn, now that I have a 3DS I'm realizing how many games I missed due to not owning a DS.
yes, yes and yes

FEED ME YOUR DELICIOUS REACTIONS

The first time I saw
axe ending Clover's menacing twisted smile seared itself eternally into my mind.
I spent the entirety of VLR waiting for a scene to match up to the
mass murder, and was pleasantly surprised by the mass suicide in one of the many endings.
So deliciously gruesome.

Personally one of the best parts/ twists for me was not a death scene/murder but
when you find out Akane basically runs shit, the amazing ending with Jumpei and her real number was 0 and her brother's being 9, do the math and it still ends up working for their respective doors :O

The reveals holy crap. Even just reading you talking about them makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Reveals within reveals. All so mindblowingly fantastic. I was amazed because it was so well crafted, everything fit into place so well, and even so, I never saw it coming.

Tizoc

He fixed his spoiler, you should fix your quote of the spoiler.

Edit: Nevermind we're all cool!

Yeah but it's easy to think that if you've SEEN the ending, the killer's identity isn't a significant spoiler. If I were OP I would totally click that and find out stuff I shouldn't. All good now, though. =]

Yeah I just remembered why I shouldn't have written it like that seeing as it would've been a bigger spoiler anyways XP.

AniHawk

LttP: 999. Don't be fooled. (spoilers) january 3, 2012 - thread from an unbeliever
LTTP: 999 - Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors (SPOILERS!!!) may 22, 2012
LTTP: 999: Don't do what I nearly did -- you absolutely MUST play this game! september 9, 2012
LTTP: 999 - 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors november 17, 2012
LTTP: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors(spoilers) february 15, 2013
LTTP: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (ongoing spoilers) april 28, 2013
Lttp: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors may 10, 2013

this is the 8th lttp thread for this game, which doesn't include the original thread. that has to be some sort of record, surely.

LiK

Question to people who played this a lot. If 999 and VLR were spoilered to me by revealing who is Zero and that VLR's
action is taking place on the moon
is it still worth playing or because I know the whole "shocking thing" playing is pointless?

That reveal means nothing without actually finishing the game completely. Probably the least holy shit moment in the game anyway. You can still play it.

ehh for me when the game (true ending spoiler)
just started changing everyone's numbers all willy nilly it screamed deus ex machina to me.

I should really get into Virtue's Last Reward.

get all 3. Ghost Trick was really quite underrated imo. Best capcom DS game not named Pheonix Wright.

I don't read books and prefer games with thought-through gameplay

999 is one of the best games ever - makes everybody who plays it a believer in visual novels. This game manages to create such a crazy tension and horrorfying atmosphere in the palm of your hands which is such a great achievement. I mean almost no AAA game reaches its level when it comes to establish its scenario with its dangers etc.

Play VLR, asap

I don't remember a game ever making me feel so damn un-easy. Playing it till like 2:00am with headphones on my DS actually scared me. Something most AAA console games fail at.

The music and atmosphere = perfection. And that image of
Ace's eye.
LAWD! That will be burnt into my brain forever. The game is just incredible......the very definition of memorable!

That
you are Zero whole time

Forget that you know this. It doesn't matter. Without context it's almost a meaningless spoiler. Play it, love it, and when the ending comes, you may yet be surprised.

just started changing everyone's numbers all willy nilly it screamed deus ex machina to me.

It didn't change anyone's numbers, did it? It just turned out that the numbers on the bracelets were not, in actual fact, the real bracelet values for all the players, despite appearances to the contrary. The numbers never changed. They were the same all along.

i have a man crush on Santa. Was
disappointed he never showed up in VLR but glad he was mentioned somewhat anyways. Hope he's in the 3rd game

marrec

Banned
Forget that you know this. It doesn't matter. Without context it's almost a meaningless spoiler. Play it, love it, and when the ending comes, you may yet be surprised.

What a weird spoiler to give someone about VLR. It doesn't even make sense when you say it out loud.

AniHawk

i think 999 was
heavily reliant on japanese puns in order to get that to work. it's not so quite out of nowhere in the original language (supposedly).

vlr is a far better game than 999. the pacing is a lot better, and there are more puzzles (and you don't have to repeat them unless you really want to). it's the story that feels like something of a letdown. part of it is being a sequel, and part of is in how it loses a lot of the tension of its predecessor. it's a direct trade off of gameplay and story between the two, just because of how each one is structured.

thank you GAF

you recommended Ghost Trick to me and you were not wrong.

This I will be playing with the girlfriend...

or should I play it alone?

Jintor

i think 999 was heavily reliant on japanese puns in order to get that to work. it's not so quite out of nowhere in the original language (supposedly).

vlr is a far better game than 999. the pacing is a lot better, and there are more puzzles (and you don't have to repeat them unless you really want to). it's the story that feels like something of a letdown. part of it is being a sequel, and part of is in how it loses a lot of the tension of its predecessor. it's a direct trade off of gameplay for story between the two, just because of how each one is structured.

I agree largely.

But man, dat story.

thank you GAF

you recommended Ghost Trick to me and you were not wrong.

This I will be playing with the girlfriend...

or should I play it alone?

Playing with her how? She watches? If she enjoys watching you play visual novels it'll probably be fine during the narrative parts, but she may get bored watching you solve escape the room segments.

Anihawk I did a ninja edit to spoiler tag my post and it looks like you quoted it before that.. Maybe you should spoiler tag it too

edit: cool thx

and now I clicked a VLR spoiler by accident, dammit lol I'm out

Jintor

One of my favourite bits is after all the twists and turns of the true end and the ceaseless revelations [TRUE END SPOILERS]
you get out of the ship and you're in the fucking desert and Uchikoshi has fucked up this assumption that you may not even have known you were holding.
Masterful.

LiK

Playing with her how? She watches? If she enjoys watching you play visual novels it'll probably be fine during the narrative parts, but she may get bored watching you solve escape the room segments.

Or maybe she'll enjoy helping him solve the puzzles.

Top Bottom