• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth exposes the industry

ok this is fair considering that Square's expectations for games are absolutely ridiculous. that being said, it still sold half of what FF7Remake did in the timeframe- which was 3.5 million according to some sources... So my 2 million estimate was actually overshooting it if anything

And according to that Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami post

That seems to line up with the PlayStation store sales....

To note, I was referring to FF16

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There’s zero hard data on this. So we cannot say that at all
3.5 million in 3 days for FF7Remake.
O94jGUx.png

Normally it wouldn't be the best measure to use 3 days to compare to 2 months, but the game itself sold 7 million as of September 2023.
GHjIXEq.png

The sales drop off was wild. Needless to say I'd assume that 3.5 million didn't rise by much over the coming months, maybe up to 4 million, going by the fact it sold 5 million around August 2020.
ofwGnsV.png

The only hard data we have for FF7 Rebirth sales is that it sold half of what FF7Remake sold in the same timeframe. and since that's around 3.5-5 million copies, it's probably sold 2 or so million.

Seyken

Guys...Final Fantasy games will ALWAYS be divisive games by nature. The fanbase as a whole is insufferable and cannot agree on anything, and that goes for every.single.forum I've ever seen talking about the series. Some people want the franchise to go in one direction, some people want it to go in another. Square is caught between a rock and a hard place here.

That being said, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is BY FAR, the BEST RECEIVED Final Fantasy game in the last 20 years. And like I've said in another thread, I think what's hurting the game right now is not the game itself, it's bad decisions made by Square with previous games.

FF13 had convoluted story and jargons, bland characters and sketchy combat.

FF15 was unfinished and a disappointment compared to what we were promised.

FF16 was such a 50/50 game. Half of it is made of pure greatness and the other half is pure shit.

FF7 Remake deciding to end with a very.fucking.confusing ending for anyone that doesn't engage with online discussions and haven't played the original, which is fucking stupid decision making. The first game in a remake trilogy should be great at onboarding new fans, but the ending just threw that out of the window and pretty much wants you to have played the original to get the true impact of what's happening. They could still have gone for the ambitious changes, but they should have had a more measured hand in the first game of a trilogy.

All that culminates into FF7 Rebirth releasing in a weird climate where I feel like excitement for the FF franchise is at the lowest it's ever been.

Devil May Cry 2 shat the bed when it came out and DMC3 achieved lower sales because of it. Does anyone here think DMC3 is a bad game...?

It feels like Square needs to string a few bangers together to get people to say "Final Fantasy is back", just like Capcom needed some bangers to get out of their Crapcom days. FF7 Rebirth is the first step.

You cannot look at me in the eye and tell me that Rebirth's combat isn't the best combat Square has ever produced. Hell, it's probably one of the best combat systems I've ever seen, and I didn't think they had it in them. It's such a monumental step up from even Remake. It succeeds where FF16 failed, it mixes both action and strategy/RPG perfectly, and manages to make characters feel distinct in the process.

The game oozes charisma, the scale is amazing, they're throwing a lot of variety at you even within the confines of Ubisoft game design, always trying to change how you interact with traversal and so on and they managed to make exploration rewarding. Pretty much all the complaints from FF16 were addressed here, and guess what? Apparently it's still not good enough for some of you guys.

Sometimes it really feels like you guys have a hateboner for this series, and no matter what Square puts out, complaints will ensue. Like y'all have an idealized, perfected version of what FF should be in your heads and any deviation is seen as sacrilegious.

Last edited:

GymWolf

- call it “Remake” when it’s really some multiverse fan fiction bullshit

- start it as a contract job, later move it in house and reboot development because of quality concerns

- will easily take over a decade to complete + will likely span 3 console generations

- pump it with filler that nobody wants in order to justify selling it as 3 separate full priced games

- steep drop in sales for part 2 compared to the first

Yeah I’m sure the industry + investors are taking notice but not in the way OP imagines.
The narrative that you needed a 3 part remake to remake ff7 was always some grade A bullshit, i'm not even surprised that they bloated the shit out of the second part aswell with shit that nobody asked for.

Yeah hopefully the industry is gonna learn jack shit from squarenix.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

The narrative that you needed a 3 part remake to remake ff7 was always some grade A bullshit, i'm not even surprised that they bloated the shit out of the second part aswell with shit that nobody asked for.

Yeah hopefully the industry is gonna learn jack shit from squarenix.

To make the remake into three parts was purely a business decision. A revenue decision, a profit decision. To cash in with the franchise. To milk the cash cow.

This is like Square's The Hobbit trilogy.

Kokoloko85

This is a poor take and as Colin Moritarty states, what Ubisoft open world game has the level of location variety, character variety, side content variety and mini game variety as Rebirth? I can't think of any.

A ton of the mini games are amazingly well built, like Chocobo racing and just very fun to play.

Going by your posts in the OT I recall you put in something like 150 hours into the game. It reminds me of one of my friends who will finish the main narrative path of a game and say he enjoyed it, then he can't help himself but try to platinum it and burns himself out in the process. Then he'll make it sound like its the worst game he's ever played. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Agreed.
Fools love to compare everything to Ubisoft now days. Its mostly from people who havent played the game

- Ubisoft like exploration
- boring mini games everywhere
- hidden lore locked behind awful mini games
- forces gameplay with characters that no one wants to play.
- game is too long, section that once was an hour, now is 3/4 hours that adds nothing, ( midgarsorm on OG was way more impactfull than that swamp section on Rebirth as exemple ).

Game is Ok, but imo It exposes nothing, follow some really dated trends, bloats gameplay time without any good reasson and there is quantity over quality when doing sidecontent.
I call these "map icon" games and I can only play them in moderation.

MH3M3D

This video isn't about the quality of Rebirth really more about how Square were correct not to chase high end graphics for every single asset and focus on FFs core strengths. I.e. amount of content, globe trotting adventure unique combat system etc.

If you have finished the game you know what I mean. The amount of unique content is staggering I'm at 170 hours on my first playthrough. I haven't really grinded or got stuck either. Whatever your thoughts are it's incredible this was shipped in 3 years.

It's interesting that the video author feels it's fine for other studios to push high end graphics as it's part of there identity like Naughty Dog.

Before you complain about FF Rebirth graphics a couple of things to consider.

Maxmillion Dude downloaded a 4k texture pack for FF Remake that was 49 gigs. How big would an equivalent be for Rebirth?

Ghost of tsushima, Last of Us Part 2 and Doom Eternal all released about the same time as Remake. FFVII has been out for 2 months, the studios of the above games haven't released a trailer between them for their next game.

What are your thoughts GAF? I think it's hard to argue with the above video. I think every studio should probably try to incrementally improve graphics at their own speed genre and budget depending. Chasing the cutting edge is ridiculous though only a small subset of studios should be attempting that.

Only Rockstar should be trying to attempt cutting edge graphics and massive scale and even they have there limits.

How are you at 170 hours on a first playtthrough? Im at 80 hours in chapter 12. Done every single side-quest, card game and other activity in every region.

Neolombax

I liked it enough to not regret it. It's way better than FF7 Remake, but the minigames were a tad bit too much for me, and towards the end I was starting to dread it. I think the way they implemented it, making a regional completion percentage popup after every activity sort of pushed me to 100% every region, which made it exhausting to be honest. Also I found the story to be quite confusing, so it just made matters worse. I'm fine with how zany FF7 rebirth is compared to remake, it feels like a Japanese RPG.

How are you at 170 hours on a first playtthrough? Im at 80 hours in chapter 12. Done every single side-quest, card game and other activity in every region.
Where are you in Chapter 12?

A shitload of Side quests open up during in Chapter 12. After you finish the game a bunch of other stuff becomes available and the final dungeons is LOOONG.

Also the final boss takes about 10 hours....I'm only half joking here!

Osram

Neo Member
- game is too long, section that once was an hour, now is 3/4 hours that adds nothing, ( midgarsorm on OG was way more impactfull than that swamp section on Rebirth as exemple ).

Game is Ok, but imo It exposes nothing, follow some really dated trends, bloats gameplay time without any good reasson and there is quantity over quality when doing sidecontent.
I just logged in for the first time in years to say thank you for saying exactly how I've been feeling trying to get through this monstrosity of a game.

Guys...Final Fantasy games will ALWAYS be divisive games by nature. The fanbase as a whole is insufferable and cannot agree on anything, and that goes for every.single.forum I've ever seen talking about the series. Some people want the franchise to go in one direction, some people want it to go in another. Square is caught between a rock and a hard place here.

That being said, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is BY FAR, the BEST RECEIVED Final Fantasy game in the last 20 years. And like I've said in another thread, I think what's hurting the game right now is not the game itself, it's bad decisions made by Square with previous games.

FF13 had convoluted story and jargons, bland characters and sketchy combat.

FF15 was unfinished and a disappointment compared to what we were promised.

FF16 was such a 50/50 game. Half of it is made of pure greatness and the other half is pure shit.

FF7 Remake deciding to end with a very.fucking.confusing ending for anyone that doesn't engage with online discussions and haven't played the original, which is fucking stupid decision making. The first game in a remake trilogy should be great at onboarding new fans, but the ending just threw that out of the window and pretty much wants you to have played the original to get the true impact of what's happening. They could still have gone for the ambitious changes, but they should have had a more measured hand in the first game of a trilogy.

All that culminates into FF7 Rebirth releasing in a weird climate where I feel like excitement for the FF franchise is at the lowest it's ever been.

Devil May Cry 2 shat the bed when it came out and DMC3 achieved lower sales because of it. Does anyone here think DMC3 is a bad game...?

It feels like Square needs to string a few bangers together to get people to say "Final Fantasy is back", just like Capcom needed some bangers to get out of their Crapcom days. FF7 Rebirth is the first step.

You cannot look at me in the eye and tell me that Rebirth's combat isn't the best combat Square has ever produced. Hell, it's probably one of the best combat systems I've ever seen, and I didn't think they had it in them. It's such a monumental step up from even Remake. It succeeds where FF16 failed, it mixes both action and strategy/RPG perfectly, and manages to make characters feel distinct in the process.

The game oozes charisma, the scale is amazing, they're throwing a lot of variety at you even within the confines of Ubisoft game design, always trying to change how you interact with traversal and so on and they managed to make exploration rewarding. Pretty much all the complaints from FF16 were addressed here, and guess what? Apparently it's still not good enough for some of you guys.

Sometimes it really feels like you guys have a hateboner for this series, and no matter what Square puts out, complaints will ensue. Like y'all have an idealized, perfected version of what FF should be in your heads and any deviation is seen as sacrilegious.

Think about what you said. Final Fantasy has been divisive for the last 20 years for a reason, because Square Enix lost sight of what made Final Fantasy popular.

Look at the remake of Persona 3 for better or worse it is a faithful recreation. That game came out only 5 years after Final Fantasy X. When all is said and done Persona 3 Reload will probably have outsold FF7 Rebirth and if it doesn't it'll certainly be close, but in terms of profitability it is no contest.

FF7 Remake and Rebirth are still divisive and there was absolutely no reason for them to be. I've purchased the original game probably 4-5 times. Twice on PS1, one of them being a greatest hit. The third time as a PlayStation Classic, I've purchased the PC version of the game at least once, if not twice, and I bought the remaster. I bought Kingdom Hearts because of its connection to FF7. I bought Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core. I watched Advent Children and Last Order. My avatar is literally from FF7 and I've been rocking it since the late 90s.

I bought FF7 Remake but I did not buy FF7 Rebirth.

If that doesn't tell you Square has a problem, I'm not sure what will.

FF7 deviated from FF6. FF8 deviated from FF7. FFIX deviated from FF8. FFX deviated even further. FFXI was an MMORPG. FFXII tried to recapture some of the roots like FFIX and was definitely a deviation. Most fans even the ones that didn't love FF12 will tell you that the series didn't go downhill until FF13.

But 13, 15, 16, and 7Rs making the most prestigious JRPG and making it an action game franchise has lost it its fanbase and they continue to learn the wrong lessons.

I'll eventually play both FF16 and FF7Rebirth, but they'll mostly likely have to be PS+ games or drop to 20 dollars or so. I can wait 10+ years to play them if I have to, there is no burning desire, which is crazy since FF used to be my favorite franchise and FF7 is probably my favorite game of all time.

jm89

The blurriness in performance mode is unacceptable, for me that's all they need to fix. I'm not fussed about the occasional shitty textures.

But yeah the amount of decent side content was staggering. The side quests seem a step up from ff16 aswell.

Last edited:

Seyken

Think about what you said. Final Fantasy has been divisive for the last 20 years for a reason, because Square Enix lost sight of what made Final Fantasy popular.

Look at the remake of Persona 3 for better or worse it is a faithful recreation. That game came out only 5 years after Final Fantasy X. When all is said and done Persona 3 Reload will probably have outsold FF7 Rebirth and if it doesn't it'll certainly be close, but in terms of profitability it is no contest.

FF7 Remake and Rebirth are still divisive and there was absolutely no reason for them to be. I've purchased the original game probably 4-5 times. Twice on PS1, one of them being a greatest hit. The third time as a PlayStation Classic, I've purchased the PC version of the game at least once, if not twice, and I bought the remaster. I bought Kingdom Hearts because of its connection to FF7. I bought Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core. I watched Advent Children and Last Order. My avatar is literally from FF7 and I've been rocking it since the late 90s.

FF7 deviated from FF6. FF8 deviated from FF7. FFIX deviated from FF8. FFX deviated even further. FFXI was an MMORPG. FFXII tried to recapture some of the roots like FFIX and was definitely a deviation. Most fans even the ones that didn't love FF12 will tell you that the series didn't go downhill until FF13.

But 13, 15, 16, and 7Rs making the most prestigious JRPG and making it an action game franchise has lost it its fanbase and they continue to learn the wrong lessons.

I'll eventually play both FF16 and FF7Rebirth, but they'll mostly likely have to be PS+ games or drop to 20 dollars or so. I can wait 10+ years to play them if I have to, there is no burning desire, which is crazy since FF used to be my favorite franchise and FF7 is probably my favorite game of all time.

I agree that they lost sight of it, and I'm critical of many parts from 13, 15 and 16 like I said in my post. Hell, I'm critical of some parts from VII Remake. It had terrible level design and the final chapters dragged too much, plus the ending thing I talked about.

I was skeptical of VII Rebirth because of those things I just mentioned. Hell, I was skeptical even after seeing the glowing reviews. But I just love this series and this specific title too much to not give it a shot. And the result actually surprised me a lot. It feels like the first time Square actually tried to recapture what makes a Final Fantasy game in the last 20 years. Everything is there - great combat, story (even the side quests are entertaining!), characters, world map, exploration, strategy, rpg, personality. Can you maybe find fault in some rough edges in the open world structure due to their lack of expertise in that area? Sure, but it's their first try and you can actually tell they put a lot of effort and thought into it and succeeded in many ways. If they manage to take another leap and refine things even further in the 3rd game, we're in for something very, very special.

Trust me, this game took a quantum leap in quality compared to Remake. The franchise's reputation is in the gutter right now and it'll take some more games like this to get it out of there. Word of mouth will take its time to spread, people like you will have to start letting their guard down and give it a try. FF16 is not it, even with its qualities, its faults are too big and it deviates too much from what makes a Final Fantasy game. This is it. This is the game that made me believe that Square still has it.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Well said. It's crazy to think that the series still hasn't found it's identity after so many entries. Quite the complete opposite of Dragon Quest.

Imho they did a mistake when moving to action combat, wish they had expanded the turn based combat instead or just go to the job system of V or XII.

Well said. It's crazy to think that the series still hasn't found it's identity after so many entries. Quite the complete opposite of Dragon Quest.

Imho they did a mistake when moving to action combat, wish they had expanded the turn based combat instead or just go to the job system of V or XII.

12 is not really turn based. If you think about it, that's when the series moved towards being more action-y.

Well it had a pretty successful identity for nearly 20 years then they started chasing the dragon.

The bottom line is that people play FF for the narrative and the narrative of FFVIIR sucks. If this was the story FFVII released with back in 1997 it wouldn't be considered a classic today.

Questions of action vs turn-based combat are secondary. Yes, Squenix should have just stuck with turn-based combat, but it's not like action RPGs don't sell if they're good games. The problem with FF since XIII is that the stories are bad, period.

The bottom line is that people play FF for the narrative and the narrative of FFVIIR sucks. If this was the story FFVII released with back in 1997 it wouldn't be considered a classic today.

Questions of action vs turn-based combat are secondary. Yes, Squenix should have just stuck with turn-based combat, but it's not like action RPGs don't sell if they're good games. The problem with FF since XIII is that the stories are bad, period.

You're not wrong.

It's almost as if they've turned to parody of themselves...

You're not wrong.

It's almost as if they've turned to parody of themselves...
Absolutely. I think it was Hayao Miyazaki who said à propos of anime, and I'm paraphrasing, that in the old days people would bring their life experiences into their work, but the new crop don't have any life experiences, they're shut-ins who only watch anime. So the entire art becomes self-referential and sterile.

That's clearly happened to Squenix. All the old masters with vision (Sakaguchi, Matsuno, Takahashi, plus more obscure figures who only made one game or who never got a shot) are gone, and the studio is mostly made up of fanboys who only know how to make derivative art.

FFVII was a story about environmentalism, terrorism, and capitalism. FFVIIR is a story about FFVII. FFTactics was a story about class and religion, FFXVI is a story about making FF more Game of Thrones.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

The stories of FF7R and FF16 are better than anything since the ps1 days

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Nah the PS1 stories are far superior then anything FFVIIR and FF16 have going for them. I admire your fandom though!!

Nah you still aren’t reading correctly, I never said they were better

FFXVI has an amazing story for the first like five hours, then it falls apart. By the end it's solidly in XIII/XV shlock tier. FFVIIR mostly consists of actively ruining an already existing story with fanfiction inserts.

FFX and FFXII are both leagues better.

FF16’s story is fine throughout. It has the mistake all these games have even in the ps1 days and results in getting to magic based and over the top with the antagonist.

The lore throughout is fantastic

FF7R is just as good as the originals, it’s largely the same

FFX and 12 aren’t as good as either

Just revisionist history or nostalgia on display, nothing more

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

Fucking nailed it.

FF16’s story is fine throughout. It has the mistake all these games have even in the ps1 days and results in getting to magic based and over the top with the antagonist.

The lore throughout is fantastic

FF7R is just as good as the originals, it’s largely the same

FFX and 12 aren’t as good as either

Just revisionist history or nostalgia on display, nothing more
If you think FFVIIR's story is "largely the same" as the original's I have no idea what to tell you. You have the critical distance of a small child.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
"The stories of FF7R and FF16 are better than anything since the ps1 days"

You did. And there are several games with compelling narratives during PS2 generation and beyond not limited to Final Fantasy. Legacy of Kain Saga in it's entirety craps all over many recent games.

Not to mention Shin Megami Tensei, KotoR, BG3, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, Baten Kaitos, Golden Sun, Dragon Quest XI, The Witcher Trilogy.

divisive fan opinions he says!!!! (not really)

as opposed to armored core 6, which was on every platform imaginable at release.

we have no official FF7R numbers....so yeah, that lines up with what exactly?

keep saying metacritic doesn't matter in terms of objective quality, the user score is also extremely high. yeah, not divisive at all homey.

Just as films, small budget indie stuff can be judged on critical reception.
Mega budget, blockbuster type productions are always primarily judged on sales. The fact that they already announced that part III will take less time to come out (i.e. smaller budget) tells us all we need to know.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
If you think FFVIIR's story is "largely the same" as the original's I have no idea what to tell you. You have the critical distance of a small child.

It is at the macro level, with obviously a lot of characterization changes along the way

It hits the same basic beats with a few unique twists but the overarching story is largely structured the same and it’s just as good

"The stories of FF7R and FF16 are better than anything since the ps1 days"

You did

Can you read what “since means” ?

Guess not.

Not to mention Shin Megami Tensei, KotoR, BG3, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, Baten Kaitos, Golden Sun, Dragon Quest XI, The Witcher Trilogy.

:LOL:

Last edited:
Top Bottom