• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cornerstone - Wind Waker + Dark Souls + crafting + physics + open world

Saw this game on Reddit, thought it was a game GAF would be interested in. I'll update when there's new info
---
http://ascensiongames.tumblr.com/

tumblr_mrkhcm1S4w1s3fdoko1_500.jpg

tumblr_mrh7siu8Ug1qfoasdo1_500.jpg

Cornerstone: The Song of Tyrim by Ascension Games
An open world, action/adventure/puzzle game with an emphasis on physics and player-choice, for PC, Mac and Linux.
August Gameplay Trailer
Boss Gameplay Trailer
Alpha Gameplay Trailer
Pre Alpha Footage
---
Well… think The Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker meets Dark Souls. Throw in some physics and a Crafting System, a little player choice and exploration, then you’re not too far off. We are Ascension Games, a two man team from Sweden (we get some outside help sometimes), and this is the best game we could think of…

From August 29th:
...the kickstarter will be up in 2-3 weeks and you’ll see much more then! be ready to support us there!

tumblr_mruhlp77jV1s3fdoko1_1280.jpg

Quatsch!

Neo Member
Looks great. What's the timeframe for release looking like?

(also, why all these comparisons with Dark Souls?)

Looks great. What's the timeframe for release looking like?

(also, why all these comparisons with Dark Souls?)
Well according to the devs, a Kickstarter will be launching in 2-3 weeks

And as for Dark Souls, the devs made the comparison. The combat seems to be lock-on focused like DS, blocking, maneuvering to get around enemy shields.

Derpstar

Banned
I don't see anything Dark Souls-ish at all. Seems like a lot of indies just throw out the name to get hardcore "cred" or something... LE SIGH

I don't see anything Dark Souls-ish at all. Seems like a lot of indies just throw out the name to get hardcore "cred" or something... LE SIGH
New post from the devs
Dark souls inspired?
Hey! we noticed that we need to show more of what makes our game inspired by Dark souls, the wind waker aspect is easier to show since the graphics and the looks of how you play is similar.
So what’s coming up next is some intense in-game combat, encountering multiple enemies at once with different abilities. Showing the importance of using your environment and crafting to your advantage, and planning your moves.

Jordoon

Do kickstarters ever make it to consoles or are they typically released only on PC? I wouldn't mind this on my vita or (future) PS4.

jontaguse

Neo Member
Do kickstarters ever make it to consoles or are they typically released only on PC? I wouldn't mind this on my vita or (future) PS4.

Hey all! i'm jonathan from ascension games, we would really like to make the game for consoles, nothing that we could promise since we don't have much experience in that area and there is licensing costs etc.

If we get enough funding we would definitely give it a shot!

The game do support controllers though! ;)

eXistor

Not seeing much in terms of level-design. And the physics-based puzzles seem very finnicky from what I can see. Not convinced watching these videos at the moment, but hey who knows, there's potential in this at least. I'll keep following it maybe it'll look better in the future, it's still early days.

EMT0

Banned
All I saw was the thread title. Give me Wind Waker-style sailing and you've got my money simply out of curiosity.

Servbot24

Banned
Doesn't look at all like WW to me. Tbh I've yet to see a project that tries to tap into WW graphics not look like a GameLoft game or something.

jontaguse

Neo Member
The game is (despite the "polished" graphics) in it's pre-alpha stages we're posting a Kickstarter to be able to go all out with this project. The content we have now is to show the potential of the real game!

When the Kickstarter launches we will have more videos on level design and some gameplay showing the features of the game!

Feel free to ask us anything, we love all feedback! ;)

Tuck

They need to tighten up the main character's movements but it looks pretty nice. Glad to see some indie devs tackling 3D environments.

Tuck

Doesn't look at all like WW to me. Tbh I've yet to see a project that tries to tap into WW graphics not look like a GameLoft game or something.

A Hat in Time looked pretty close then they changed some stuff (like the water) and it doesn't look all that similar anymore (Except for maybe the main character).

Zeroth

Hey all! i'm jonathan from ascension games, we would really like to make the game for consoles, nothing that we could promise since we don't have much experience in that area and there is licensing costs etc.

If we get enough funding we would definitely give it a shot!

The game do support controllers though! ;)

You are a good soul and you are doing God's work. Please be sure to tells us when we can donate all our physical belongings for your cause.

Everything wants to be Wind Waker all of a sudden.

Technology marches on. I'm inclined to believe you find more indie games inspired by WW now because it's easier to make that kind of game nowadays than it was, say 5 years ago.

Stulaw

Looks more Skyward Sword in terms of colours and character models than Wind Waker ( I'm viewing this on my phone if that makes a difference).

Sendou

It seems like every other game is inspired by Wind Waker these days. What a twist of fate! Watched the gameplay trailer and while it looks a tad crude it certainly has some potential. Keeping this on my radar.

Phazon

The game is (despite the "polished" graphics) in it's pre-alpha stages we're posting a Kickstarter to be able to go all out with this project. The content we have now is to show the potential of the real game!

When the Kickstarter launches we will have more videos on level design and some gameplay showing the features of the game!

Feel free to ask us anything, we love all feedback! ;)

If you need some info about Nintendo or getting an idea about the costs to port it to Wii U, you should contact this guy here: https://twitter.com/Dan_Adelman

He can help you answer your questions or give you a better idea about what it takes to bring the game over :)

That being said, the game looks very interesting. I'm curious to see more of it in the near future.

Top Bottom