• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 likely releasing in 1-2 years, says Yamauchi

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Presumably it will be sharing a lot of GT6.

There's no word on what happened to the real Yamauchi, or who this body snatcher is.

Polygon said:
Is this physics engine going to be shared with the Gran Turismo 7 that Yamauchi's team at Polyphony Digital are presumably working on now for the PlayStation 4? Yamauchi said that would be the case, going on to suggest that to him, at this point, hardware platforms don't matter quite as much as they used to. "The PlayStation 4's large memory size is a unique trait," he said, "but in terms of CPU performance, the PS3's Cell chip, while difficult to handle, is really capable. They both have different advantages. Besides, I think the online community aspect, one of the most fun parts of GT, doesn't have anything to do with the platform. The PlayStation 4 game which we'll likely call GT7 will be done in about a year or two, I think, and I think the community aspect's going to be vital there as well."
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/47...-talks-physics-engines-smartphone-linkups-and

LuchaShaq

Banned
The downgrade from Forza to GT is the biggest bummer for me in going PS4 only next gen.

Really hope GT7 is legit and doesn't have "Standard" crappy cars and a bloated slow UI/bad ai/lol level of damage modeling.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I feel like a price drop combined with GT7 will be when the PS4 really takes off in terms of mass market adoption.

Megaton.. Next-Gen GT is all I've ever wanted... be it this new gen, or the last, or the one before that, or the one before that.

Samyy

If they could do it winter 2014 that would be huge to put up against Halo. I feel like its most likely winter 2015 though.

I don't think we'll have to wait forever like we did with GT5. The PS3 was a nightmare to develop for, and it looks like it won't be the case with the PS4.

Anyway, PD should better take its time and really improve the AI and implement some decent damage systems instead of rushing the game.

This would be incredibly awesome if true, GT is basically the only racing series I play and I was hoping for a PS4 port but this is even better.

JawzPause

The downgrade from Forza to GT is the biggest bummer for me in going PS4 only next gen.

Really hope GT7 is legit and doesn't have "Standard" crappy cars and a bloated slow UI/bad ai/lol level of damage modeling.
Downgrade? I mean Forza is a great game but GT is still on another level.

Bundy

Banned
lol
Yeah, sure Yamauchi.
Quickly after Team ICO/Team Olympia... you're the next one of these "3484 years dev cycle" studios. So prove it first.
1-2 years releasing? Good, so we will see a first trailer/pic in one year then?
Nice, I'm waiting....

The three years to GT6 shows they have learned their lessons, my heart skips a beat just thinking of what these guys can do given PS4 hardware. GT5 has the highest highs of any console game, imagine them doing that consistently with GT6.

Mung

Can't wait. A Playstation doesn't really feel like a Playstation to me until it has Gran Turismo on it.

More than one year is very bad for the PS4. There should have been a GT product in the launch window.

Going by PS4 pre-orders. It's not having much of a negative effect.

GT6 on PS3 will make far more money than GT6 on PS4 would have made, due to the vastly bigger PS3 userbase.

Grayman

I don't think we'll have to wait forever like we did with GT5. The PS3 was a nightmare to develop for, and it looks like it won't be the case with the PS4.

Anyway, PD should better take its time and really improve the AI and implement some decent damage systems instead of rushing the game.
I don't think it was related to the PS3 nightmare. Prologue and even HD were ready very early but the game had no content with each car taking a man month to create.

Skeff

lol
Yeah, sure Yamauchi.
Quickly after Team ICO/Team Olympia... you're the next one of these "3484 years dev cycle" studios. So prove it first.
Nice, I'm waiting....

The First gameplay trailer is GT6 Replay mode.

This isn't going to be a whole new game, He's previously said that GT6 will be coming to PS4 but they don't know what to call it, it may be GT6 t may be GT6 XL or it may be GT7, With the lack of Backwards compatibility for the first time on a Sony console launch it's imperative to get this out the door quickly.

Obviously, everything will be improved from GT6 but the basis will be there.

Also GT5->GT6 is only 3 years, considering the difficulty of PS3 and PS4 development and how "new" GT7 will be, 1-2 years seems like a pretty good timeline.

Also GT5->GT6 is only 3 years, considering the difficulty of PS3 and PS4 development and how "new" GT7 will be, 1-2 years seems like a pretty good timeline.

They also rebuilt their engine during the GT5-6 transition so that it was cross-gen ready. That'll also cut down significantly on development time,

The_Monk

Thank you for posting fellow GAFfer.

Will be there Day One, no doubt. I think we will wait more than that but if not, better. I just want them to make the game amazing with a decent Sound too.

Makes sense, but its still an anvil to my precious nuts.

And I have no reason to even hold them to their two year upper bound there.

Just like the beginning of current gen: This is waiting....

Bundy

Banned
The First gameplay trailer is GT6 Replay mode.

This isn't going to be a whole new game, He's previously said that GT6 will be coming to PS4 but they don't know what to call it, it may be GT6 t may be GT6 XL or it may be GT7, With the lack of Backwards compatibility for the first time on a Sony console launch it's imperative to get this out the door quickly.

Obviously, everything will be improved from GT6 but the basis will be there.

Well, I believe it when I see it!

fake edit:
beaten!

Verendus

Banned
It's nice that he's going public about it; makes it more official. That also means he's confident with whatever progress they're making. Granted, things can be quite dynamic and change pretty easily. I'm in two minds about the best way to do things though. Gran Turismo 7 in Holiday 2014 would be a tremendous boost and momentum builder. On the other hand, the price is already a big benefit, so it could be a good idea to just use the extra time and bring it out around Fall 2015. It's not like there won't be other games next year.

spuit*11

Banned
The engine is pretty much good to go for next gen, the premium car models are all ready. So yeah that seems plausible. It might still take longer, you never know with Yamauchi.

i3HgMyh00BOMW.gif

The waiting will be worthwhile if we get:

* All premium cars
* Night and weather change in all tracks
* Revised snow and dirt handling
* AI improvements
* A more dynamic campaign structure
* A complete revamp of the audio (how could I forget this?)

That's all I need as a predominantly single-player gamer. Then keep the cars, tracks and miscellaneous items coming as DLC.

http://i.minus.com/i3HgMyh00BOMW.gif[//img][/QUOTE]
Don't know what you're laughing at. We're looking at years of waiting for a true next-gen GT. The downgrade here is the comparison to next-gen Forza isn't it?

ethomaz

Banned
Late 2015 is the perfect time to release GT7... that give enough time to play and finish everything in GT6.

LeBoef

no disrespect to that guy, but thats some yamauchi bs talk again.
no way he has all of a sudden such an effective project management to get his gt7 on the next gen level he always expects of himself (btw gt5 on release was nothing i expected after his talks of perfectionism) in such a short time... or he will take a lot of old assets into the new world but i hope he keeps his talks about phiysics and stuff for himself this time.

Waaghals

I'm hoping they improve the engine sounds.
For some reason they all sound like electric razors/vacuum cleaners.

Obviously I haven't driven even a fraction of the cars featured in the GT games, but I have trouble imagining that they all sound so soulless.

lol
Yeah, sure Yamauchi.
Nice, I'm waiting....

what? save from gt5, all the other gts came out reasonably on time.

Top Bottom