• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RemotePlay with PS Vita TV is a lagless, slightly compressed experience - GamesRadar

CamHostage

I have a ton of problems with my PS3 just connecting to my router and downloading PSN games (as many do... and I'm too lazy/dumb to port-forward), so I'm a little dubious about how well this will work outside of a controlled environment.

But the quality results are encouraging and I have enjoyed Remote Play on my PSP for non-game uses so I'm very glad that Sony is rededicating itself to this initiative. (Funny how this is being thought of as "new" to a lot of people, wasn't Remote Play between PS3/PSP first talked about at the same conference that Calling All Cars was unveiled?) I've seen videos of people already enjoying PS3-to-Vita Remote Play with few complaints in the few games that support it, the PS4 push should finally pay off on all that promise if gamers actually take to it.

sajj316

Journalist not knowing how Remote Play works = nothing strange

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82708361&postcount=232
Both direct and access point connection will work.

Not just journalists but many GAFers had to be educated on this when God of War Collection and Ico/SOTC games were patched with Remote Play

It doesn't take a network engineer to figure out but its also not the most promoted thing with PS3 to PSP/Vita Remote Play.

CamHostage

Just interested, because in the article it says "not sure how this will work on wifi at home". Ad-hoc would be used at home.

It ends up with the same problems that PS3-to-PSP had as far as Remote Play using the wifi card for the same purpose, though, right? The wifi can only do one job at a time on PS3, so unless you had both a wifi and a wired connection, you couldn't do online functions when in Remote Play. Unless PS4 has a means around that (does it? I don't know the specs behind this, but as far as I know there's not two wifi radios?) that'll be a huge issue for PS4 because online is even more a factor given the number of games meant to be played online and also the chances that Netflix or Gaikai or other streaming is the reason you're place-shifting and also Trophies and all of that. Hopefully Sony has an answer for that...

When PS3 and PSP launched the Wifi Alliance only had the adhoc mode for peer to peer connection and limited in features which led them to create Wifi Direct. Its just a software stack that works on any Wifi card, it allows for simultaneous infrastructure and peer to peer connection. Wifi Direct is a marketing label and is not required for a device to support said features and pretty much anyone can roll there own like Apple, Nintendo and you will not see any Wifi Direct label on their product or spec sheet.

...Or maybe they do. Didn't know that about the WiFi Direct protocol, will look it up, but if it's designed for simultaneous radio communication, we're golden.

EDIT: Reading up on it, the spec allows for simultaneous infrastructure/ad-hoc, but it's up to the provider. Does the PS4 spec confirm that it's a simultaneous connection device? (They'd be crazy not to, but I don't know if that's been listed?)
http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge-cent...-regular-wi-fi-network-and-group-wi-fi-direct

EDIT2: Actually, lots of spec analysis of PS4 versus Xbox One mention that one of the disadvantages of PS4 is that it does not use WiFi Direct, so where does that leave things?

EDIT3: Sounds like it's just a certification, though not any kind of chipset or special configuration (which Danhese said in his post, shame on me,). I still want to know what the PS4's wifi can and cannot do, not sure if the public specs have been specific enough about that?

And to add clarity to the question about what WiFi Direct is and is not, here's a comment from the WiFi Alliance's FAQ about WiFi Direct:

Will legacy devices be upgradeable to support the specification underlying the Wi-Fi Direct certification program?
The Wi-Fi Direct certification program does not require new hardware to operate, so some vendors may offer software upgrades. However, it’s important to
note that interoperability between devices certified under the Wi-Fi Direct program and legacy devices is a key element of the underlying specification, so even non-upgraded devices can join a network certified as Wi-Fi Direct.
http://www.wi-fi.org/download.php?f...oads-public/faq_20101021_Wi-Fi_Direct_FAQ.pdf

DieH@rd

Banned
Not just journalists but many GAFers had to be educated on this when God of War Collection and Ico/SOTC games were patched with Remote Play

I am making PS4 Remote Play |OT| thread, so hopefully we gaffers will get education.

Any suggestions for the thread title?

As a lover of remote play its interesting to see how far opinions have changed regarding it. So many people were bashing the WiIU and still continue to bash its Off-TV play as something that "doesn't justify the gamepad." Yet Vita Off-TV is announced and not a single negative comment about it. I dont know if its just the usual Nintendo hate and people are only caring now cause its Sony or because they're finally starting to see the qualities of Off-TV play.

see, this might be enough of a reason for me to get 3rd party multi plat games on ps4 instead of pc.

always liked the idea of nvidia shield, but currently no nvidia card, so a 770+ shield = $700 vs ps4 (already got a vita)'s $400.

Tripolygon

Banned
It ends up with the same problems that PS3-to-PSP had as far as Remote Play using the wifi card for the same purpose, though, right? The wifi can only do one job at a time on PS3, so unless you had both a wifi and a wired connection, you couldn't do online functions when in Remote Play. Unless PS4 has a means around that (does it? I don't know the specs behind this, but as far as I know there's not two wifi radios?) that'll be a huge issue for PS4 because online is even more a factor given the number of games meant to be played online and also the chances that Netflix or Gaikai or other streaming is the reason you're place-shifting and also Trophies and all of that. Hopefully Sony has an answer for that...

...Or maybe they do. Didn't know that about the WiFi Direct protocol, will look it up, but if it's designed for simultaneous radio communication, we're golden.

EDIT: Reading up on it, the spec allows for simultaneous infrastructure/ad-hoc, but it's up to the provider. Does the PS4 spec confirm that it's a simultaneous connection device? (They'd be crazy not to, but I don't know if that's been listed?)
http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge-cent...-regular-wi-fi-network-and-group-wi-fi-direct

EDIT2: Actually, lots of spec analysis of PS4 versus Xbox One mention that one of the disadvantages of PS4 is that it does not use WiFi Direct, so where does that leave things? Sounds like it's just a certification, though, not any kind of chipset or special configuration. I still want to know what the PS4's wifi can and cannot do, not sure if the public specs have been specific enough about that?
Correct

whitehawk

Banned
As a lover of remote play its interesting to see how far opinions have changed regarding it. So many people were bashing the WiIU and still continue to bash its Off-TV play as something that "doesn't justify the gamepad." Yet Vita Off-TV is announced and not a single negative comment about it. I dont know if its just the usual Nintendo hate and people are only caring now cause its Sony or because they're finally starting to see the qualities of Off-TV play.
well not every game has off-screen support, all (99.9%) of ps4 games will. plus the gamepad increased the price of the Wii u, while the vita is optional.

DBT85

I am making PS4 Remote Play |OT| thread, so hopefully we gaffers will get education.

Any suggestions for the thread title?

YES, PLAY IT ANYWHERE YOU CAN GET A WIFI SIGNAL!

Subtle.

Oh there are plenty of people that think PS4 remote play is stupid. The most common question is "why not just play on the PS4". There are however plenty of people that love the idea of having a VitaTV for a separate room, or just playing Resogun on the crapper.

I think the WiiU gets hate becasue it's so limited, like PS3 RP was. PS4 RP is not developer supported, its an OS feature that all games will be a part of, unless they NEED to use the camera or Move. Plus the range is infinitely better because you can do it on any WiFi connection. So even if you have a massive house as long as you can get on the WiFi access point you can do RP.

The lack of fake Vita Remote play Gifs on a Remote Play Thread is very disheartening GAF... I'm disappointed

Since I care... I'll give you three
i2GigPNx2M3B5.gif
ieiAnHprzY0rT.gif
iIbdlh4bVc7xS.gif

It's because it's optional and not shoehorned in like with WiiU. One of the reasons the WiiU costs what it does is because the game pad is included. It has nothing to do with Nintendo hate or Sony love. I really haven't seen anybody complain about WiiU off tv play, just about the price of the WiiU being too high because the game pad is packed in.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I really hate this argument, because you're spinning it so much. The vita TV and Vita are both optional, so if you already own one or were planning on getting one (vita TV), then you have the bonus of the remote play and ps4 extender (which btw the gamepad allows you to use remote play, but it doesn't allow you to connect it to another tv similar to the vita TV), that being said for people who don't give a shit about this, of which I'm sure there are plenty, they aren't forced to buy anything. The gamepad is a gimmick ultimately, that people simply don't care enough about, and figure the money would've been better spent on developing an online platform, or improving the graphics. Just my 2 cents.

DieH@rd

Banned
The lack of fake Vita Remote play Gifs on a Remote Play Thread is very disheartening GAF... I'm disappointed

Since I care... I'll give you three

I made all of those... :) and now, i present you with the newest one [sorry for the shitty color scheme that destroyed the look of the Vita hardware]:

0Ix4.gif

[btw, im very interested to see RP compression artifacts in this scene, tons of shit flying]

driver116

I really hate this argument, because you're spinning it so much. The vita TV and Vita are both optional, so if you already own one or were planning on getting one (vita TV), then you have the bonus of the remote play and ps4 extender (which btw the gamepad allows you to use remote play, but it doesn't allow you to connect it to another tv similar to the vita TV), that being said for people who don't give a shit about this, of which I'm sure there are plenty, they aren't forced to buy anything. The gamepad is a gimmick ultimately, that people simply don't care enough about, and figure the money would've been better spent on developing an online platform, or improving the graphics. Just my 2 cents.

And the fact that the PSP had it, far, far before the Wii U.

VanWinkle

Do you know if any of the same people that bashed Off-TV Play are being positive about Remote Play?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And the fact that the PSP had it, far, far before the Wii U.

To be fair, the PSP remote play is horrendous. The gamepad has been flawless in that respect (when it comes to lag).

I have great hope that PS4 remote play with the Vita will be MUCH better, though.

VanWinkle

To be fair, the PSP remote play is horrendous. The gamepad has been flawless in that respect (when it comes to lag).

I have great hope that PS4 remote play with the Vita will be MUCH better, though.

You don't have to hope. This very thread is about impressions from people who have tried it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You don't have to hope. This very thread is about impressions from people who have tried it.

See, though, I'm still seeing lag on that screen. When they showed it at E3, there was clear lag. It's improved, I just hope it isn't enough to be distracting. Wii U is programmed to have the pad lineup with the TV--is that possible for this?

Either way, still excited, and glad to hear it will be much better than the PS3 remote play.

Daingurse

Can't wait to play Knack in the tub. Hell, all my games in the tub lol. Will be fucking glorious. Self-soothing y'all, self-soothing.

I made all of those... :) and now, i present you with the newest one [sorry for the shitty color scheme that destroyed the look of the Vita hardware]:

0Ix4.gif

[btw, im very interested to see RP compression artifacts in this scene, tons of shit flying]

I never meant that I made them... sorry :)

Also nice Deep Down vita gif the hardware looking old and brown makes the GIF even better

DBT85

See, though, I'm still seeing lag on that screen. When they showed it at E3, there was clear lag. It's improved, I just hope it isn't enough to be distracting. Wii U is programmed to have the pad lineup with the TV--is that possible for this?

Either way, still excited, and glad to hear it will be much better than the PS3 remote play.

Seeing lag in the video and perceiving it while palying are two different things though. Both sites claimed no lag. Now clearly the IS lag, there HAS to be some lag, but they didn't notice it while playing. Maybe it's more noticeable in a faster paced game.

I've not seen any videos of the WiiU outputting the same screen to the TV and the pad to see if there is any lag between them. I don't quite get how there couldn't be, since each TV has a different lag, plus one is wired with HDMI and one isn't.

I´m ashamed to ask a stupid question, but everything i read still makes me confused:
let´s say i buy a PS Vita TV.

Can i play Vita games on it, using a TV and a Dualshock?

Or i need all of that AND a regular PSvita to stream the game?

Genuine question. Couldn´t find a FAQ in english.

DBT85

I´m ashamed to ask a stupid question, but everything i read still makes me confused:
let´s say i buy a PS Vita TV.

Can i play Vita games on it, using a TV and a Dualshock?

Or i need all of that AND a regular PSvita to stream the game?

Genuine question. Couldn´t find a FAQ in english.

You can play Vita games on a Vita TV using nothing more than 1) a VitaTV, 2) a controller 3) a game 4) a TV. You do not need a regular Vita to play Vita games on the VitaTV.

You also do not need a regular Vita to Remote Play from a PS4 to the Vita TV.

You can buy a VitaTV, use everything it can do (Vita games, Remote Play, Gaikai), and never own a regular Vita.

Dragon

Banned

This works for all games.

Nintendo's solution doesn't.

You cannot take the WiiU controller with you outside of your home to play WiiU games remotely (Note: Still remains to be seen how well this works with Vita).

blackflag

I never bothered to actually buy a Vita, but if the remote play works as well as it seems to work, then I wont be able to resist much longer.

Playing graphical masterpieces like the Witcher 3, Killzone shadowfall and battlefield 4 on my vita while laying in bed seems mindblowing to me.

This really. This is why I have Vita and 3ds. For some reason in my old age i like to use handhelds but I like console type games. I don't have much free time so I'll watch some tv in the background and play handheld. This is PERFECT for me.

and goddamn if they release Dark Souls 2 on PS4....life over.

The Vita TV isn't limited to streaming though. It can be used as a stand alone console as well.

Plinko

Seeing lag in the video and perceiving it while palying are two different things though. Both sites claimed no lag. Now clearly the IS lag, there HAS to be some lag, but they didn't notice it while playing. Maybe it's more noticeable in a faster paced game.

I've not seen any videos of the WiiU outputting the same screen to the TV and the pad to see if there is any lag between them. I don't quite get how there couldn't be, since each TV has a different lag, plus one is wired with HDMI and one isn't.

There is absolutely zero lag with Wii U. The analyses done after launch showed that the gamepad actually was something like 100ms ahead of the system. In some cases, the gamepad was actually slightly ahead of the TV. It works perfectly, which is why I was asking if it was possible with PS4.

IGN's video impression of Knack Remote Play with Vita!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TmlgVTMKgM&hd=1

"The game does look spectacular [on vita], its running without any lag whatsoever... Ammm... Actually... Yeah, I'm honestly amazed about how good it looks right now. "

Yeah, I'm pretty much sold on it working as advertised. I guess no amount of people saying it works perfectly will be good enough for others though. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

There is absolutely zero lag with Wii U. The analyses done after launch showed that the gamepad actually was something like 100ms ahead of the system. In some cases, the gamepad was actually slightly ahead of the TV. It works perfectly, which is why I was asking if it was possible with PS4.

Forgetting what we're hearing people who have used the off tv play say for the moment. I would expect Sony's solution to perform at least as good since they have the expertise of Gaikai. Wouldn't you think?

Plinko

Forgetting what we're hearing people who have used the off tv play say for the moment. I would expect Sony's solution to perform at least as good since they have the expertise of Gaikai. Wouldn't you think?

Are they even utilizing Gaikai right now? I don't know--I hadn't heard anything.

Seeing that IGN/Knack video made me a believer, though. Wow.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Are they even utilizing Gaikai right now? I don't know--I hadn't heard anything.

Seeing that IGN/Knack video made me a believer, though. Wow.
They are, the gaikai team has been helping out with PS4's remote play.

XBGahld.png

Remote Play was a large factor in whether or not I was getting a Vita, and honestly the input lag was the one thing that was keeping me on the fence. After this news, I'll definitely be picking one up at the end of this year. Hopefully the OLED models will get a price cut.

Question: If they have this kind of functionality, couldn't they use the Vita for a second player as an alternative to split screen? So you would pop your game in the PS4, player 1 plays on the big screen, with the screen all to himself, and player 2 remotes in through their Vita, and has their screen all to themselves.

http://gearnuke.com/playstation-4-r...op-2-screens-one-playstation-4-even-internet/

Turns out I was right!

DieH@rd

Banned

No. You were talking about splitscreen sharing, with each player seeing fullscreen on his display. That is not happening with PS4 remote play.

PS4 can share ONE SCREEN on up to 4 displays. Everyone gets same image, but all can control their own character (Rayman, Diablo, Guardian of Light, etc). If we get any splitscreen games on PS4, Remote Play will share both sides of the screen to everyone.

Top Bottom