• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic is 1.8 million words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

So I went to fanfiction.net, as I presume all of you do on a hourly basis, and noticed that many stories were pretty long. Some were up to 100,000 words, which is probably longer than the scripts for all the Sonic games combined. Then I realized you could search by the longest stories and I was stunned at how long some of them are. This Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic is 1.8 million words. To put that in perspective, IT'S LITERALLY LONGER THAN ANY NOVEL EVER PUBLISHED EVER IN HISTORY EVER. Moby Dick is 208k words and the first sentence of that book is probably more captivating than any sentence in the Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic.

Writers and fanfic experts: how can people write so much, especially about a property that's not even yours? You could probably make an epic heptology with your own characters and world in a fraction of 1.8 million words.

I know of a (really terrible) Doctor Who fanfic that clocked in at around 2 million words.

As for why, people enjoy writing. Fanfiction is great practice for it, since you get instant feedback on what you are doing right or wrong.

Peff

kxPqlZ6.jpg

WillyFive

Writers and fanfic experts: how can people write so much, especially about a property that's not even yours?

Because the characters and universe captivates and interests you.

You could probably make an epic heptology with your own characters and world in a fraction of 1.8 million words.

Yeah, but not everyone finds that as fun. However, that is why I've stopped writing fanfiction; I'd just make my own stuff.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't write fanfic but I really wish I was capable of writing like a crazy motherfucker in a short period of time, even if it's all garbage. I guess I'm not as passionate about it as the writers of mega-fics.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
A friend and I have a game we play on Facebook where she goes on fanfic.net and fictionpress and just finds random stories and sends me their descriptions, and I react to them

Its a fun game

Eidan

Jesus Christ. What the hell does the guy have to talk about? Isn't the primary struggle in the series a card game?

Is 500,000 spent on one card battle, explaining what every single card does, and reiterating the same points about a character every single turn?

Jarate

Banned
fuck, I read Romance of the three Kingdoms, and that was apparently only around 800,000 words, and that shit took like almost a quarter of a year to read. I couldn't imagine someone actually reading that entire thing

bonercop

Four hours later, Obama stepped out of his dimensionally traveling police box. Behind him came his close friends and allies. Fidel Castro and Bill Ayers were directly behind him. Castro had, of course, been rejuvenated by Secret Nazi Cuban Science once again, for purposes of this sojourn. The crew was rounded out with Jeremiah Wright and Osama bin Laden; these two were much less friendly than Castro and Ayers, glaring at each other suspiciously.
"Bill, I'm not going back. I'm staying here. I... I think I found love." With that, Samus' mouth opened, and rotated towards Obama's crotch.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5110279/1/Obama-and-Samus-Aran-Fight-the-Fascists

Oxirane

Do they get the rules of the card game correct? Or do they use the flavour text on normal monsters to make up random card effects?

Here is the ending.

"Haga," Yugi responded, voice quiet as they looked across the fire pit that had been made, to where the boy was holding his sister close. "I hit my head on the plane," he admitted, "So while the others got out, Ryuzaki helped me get through the door. But I didn't see Jonouchi-kun," he went on, swallowing. "Not until Haga went back..."

The silence that followed was almost stiffening. Stiffening, and all at once chilled in a strange sense. Rather than break the silence however, he found himself slowly leaning back against the chair he'd been propped against, looking away. There were a few things he could foresee, and a few things he could come to expect.

To have been rescued by Haga, when only 6 hours ago he had threatened to end his very life, was very far from one of those things. And as the fire burned, small portions of their luggage recovered from the wreckage, they one by one fell into an uncomfortable sleep...

Never once realizing, as they drifted to the comfort of their minds, that they were not as alone as they thought.

in comparison, the story I'm reading just published its epilogue and weighs in at 236k words. Yowza.

EDIT: NOT a Yugioh fanfic. I probably should have said that.

The only experience I had with uber long fic like that was the one I mentioned in my first post here, the Doctor Who one. It had a ton of reviews, so I figured it was decent, and I was bored enough.

I quickly figured out why it's word count was so high. Basically, it would exposition EVERYTHING. Even things it expositioned in the previous chapter. Over, and over, and over again. It was the most annoying shit I'd ever tried to read. I made it about 200k in before I questioned my own sanity for trying to continue and stopped.

G-Fex

The only experience I had with uber long fic like that was the one I mentioned in my first post here, the Doctor Who one. It had a ton of reviews, so I figured it was decent, and I was bored enough.

I quickly figured out why it's word count was so high. Basically, it would exposition EVERYTHING. Even things it expositioned in the previous chapter. Over, and over, and over again. It was the most annoying shit I'd ever tried to read. I made it about 200k in before I questioned my own sanity for trying to continue and stopped.

I read a transformers fanfic once.

It was the worst thing I've ever read in my entire life.

MisterHero

Is 500,000 spent on one card battle, explaining what every single card does, and reiterating the same points about a character every single turn?
It's easier to multiply that count. Just when you think you know the rules, everything gets TURNED UPSIDE DOWN!

Then when you thought the show was over, they introduce motorcycles and AR visors!! The game has TURNED UPSIDE DOWN AGAIN!!

I read a transformers fanfic once.

It was the worst thing I've ever read in my entire life.

There is some really, really amazing fanfic out there.

You just have to be willing to dig through a lot of crap to find it.

I however cannot speak for transformers, since I have no interest in reading transformers fic :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom