• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New JXD s7800 android gaming tablet (has integrated buttons/sticks)

Vorg

Banned
This is the new JXD gaming tablet.

jxd_s7800_102.jpg

For some reason JXD decided to launch 2 models with different SoCs but on the outside they're exactly the same.

Model A comes with a 1Ghz Allwinner A31 Quad Core cpu, an SGX 544 mp2 gpu and 1 gb DDR3.
Model B comes with a 1.6Ghz Rockchip 3188 Quad Core cpu, a Mali 400 mp4 gpu and 2gb DDR3.

The price difference is minimal at 10 dollars. Model a is $159 and model b $169.

Both come with a 7 inch IPS screen, 8gb of internal memory, front and back cameras, front facing stereo speakers, micro SD card slot, HDMI out and android 4.2.2.

Also, through proprietary software, onscreen overlay controls in games can be translated to the physical controls.

Here's a couple videos:

Model A unboxing (hit the mute button):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF2n8wsY6bI

Model A running emulators:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCux0XElnZQ

Personally I love the form factor and have a model b pre-ordered. What do you guys think?

redlemon

I'm hoping there going to release the 5 inch version. The vita knockoff look of the previous version put me off it. 7 inch's seems a bit too big. I'd rather get a normal tablet at that size.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I have an older version of these, the software is very hit and miss. Not the emulators themselves but the whole screen overlay connecting to buttons thing.

Crashes all the time and random reboots. You get what you pay for.

Why do these devices always use that kind of buttons that are found on like some knock-off "Tiger"-type handhelds from the 90's?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Given how Yoshida was talking not too long ago, I kind of wonder if something like this won't be the eventual Vita successor (assuming one exists).

it should've been the vita all along.

sony's whole ecosystem battleplan is such a mess. you have their phones and tablets on android, their vita/TV family on whatever the vita's O/S is called, the PS3 on XMB/PSN -- which is completely incompatible with the PS4's XMB/PSN.

you can understand why they're going at the gamer demographic so hard.

Vorg

Banned
Which specs are better? I'm looking for a new tablet to replace my ancient Acer A500, and this looks kinda ok.

Not sure this is great as a replacement for your tablet. It's more of a gaming device and it's missing some stuff people usually take for granted on a tablet like Bluetooth.

ash_ag

Given how Yoshida was talking not too long ago, I kind of wonder if something like this won't be the eventual Vita successor (assuming one exists).

Depending on Vita TV's success, that's what I expect from the PlayStation platform. A core system (only available on the PS# hardware) and a more casual platform (available across other Sony devices, like Xperia, "PlayStation TV" and Vaio). A PlayStation tablet featuring optimised input options (most of all, a DualShock-esque buttons configuration) could essentially be Vita's successor -- and it won't be as much of a risk as Vita, since its games will be available elsewhere.

Here's hoping Sony will soon step it up with the PS Mobile service, and start offering games you'd normally expect on Vita there. Then again, maybe there's no saving that, and they should instead rebrand it.

Hesemonni

Banned
Am I completely wrong with my recollection that pretty much all JXDs before have sucked donkey b4llz and we shouldn't have high hopes for these either?

QaaQer

it should've been the vita all along.

sony's whole ecosystem battleplan is such a mess. you have their phones and tablets on android, their vita/TV family on whatever the vita's O/S is called, the PS3 on XMB/PSN -- which is completely incompatible with the PS4's XMB/PSN.

you can understand why they're going at the gamer demographic so hard.

Yeah, everything is so disjointed. Why don't they want people with Sony phones playing Vita games?

They needed to do the iphone ipod touch thing, where people could play vita games on their sony phones, and for those who just wanted games they could just buy the phone-less version. It is like Sony is this giant company where the parts don't talk to each other or work together. Maybe they should be broken up.

Of course they would need a controller shell or something, but how hard would that have been to make?

If really don't need the buttons, a Nexus 7 should be great.

Not sure this is great as a replacement for your tablet. It's more of a gaming device and it's missing some stuff people usually take for granted on a tablet like Bluetooth.

Yeah, build quality also seems questionable, I use my tablet a lot on the sofa while watching tv to surf the net and watch some videos, youtube....

I'll get a proper tablet, maybe an ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7 or a Nexus 7, I'm also looking at the Chuwi v88, which is a cheap chinese tablet that is highly regarded.

Damian.

Banned
If the hardware is quality, then this will be a beast. But most of the time on these kinds of tablets the quality is shit.

Boerseun

Banned
With regards to JXD's tablets and handhelds, it's usually a good idea to wait a couple of months after release before getting one. By then the community will likely have produced the necessary software fixes to get them running smoothly (as was the case with the 7100 and 7300).

fernoca

I have the S7300. Is quite nice. You can map touch inputs to any button, so you can play any game with "traditional" controls. Also has HDMI-out and support for USB devices. But I mostly got it to play Android games with a controller at a relative low cost and it did that quite great. Bought a few games like Riptide 2 and Prince of Persia.

Pic of mine back in July:

Vorg

Banned
If the hardware is quality, then this will be a beast. But most of the time on these kinds of tablets the quality is shit.

I hope it isn't too crappy as I went in blind and it's already paid for :s. Fernoca's post is kinda reassuring though. As long as the D-pad and buttons don't suck too badly I'm good I guess.

Rashid

Banned
Would these be good for PSP emulators? I've tried using PPSSPP and it's slow on my 1.5GHz quad-core S4 Pro w/ 2GB RAM phone and Adreno 320, so I'm not sure whether a tablet would be any better. I've considered a Vita, but pretty much the only reason I want it is to use it for PS4 remote play and waiting for a hack to play Crisis Core at full speed with the best hardware controls portably.

Duke2k

Neo Member
I have a s5110, though the build quality is good it does not seem reliable. The analogue stick lasted about two weeks, making the device junk.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Would these be good for PSP emulators? I've tried using PPSSPP and it's slow on my 1.5GHz quad-core S4 Pro w/ 2GB RAM phone and Adreno 320, so I'm not sure whether a tablet would be any better. I've considered a Vita, but pretty much the only reason I want it is to use it for PS4 remote play and waiting for a hack to play Crisis Core at full speed with the best hardware controls portably.

Your S4 is likely faster.

Hmm, interesting device, but the CPU/GPU combo seems sort of 'weak', which is fine for its price point I suppose

the high-end tablet has the same specs as a old Galaxy S3 (Outside of the weaker CPU).

Would love to see one of these things rocking Bay Trail or AMD (or a Arm v8 SnapDragon)

$h@d0w

Looks like JXD are randomly placing sticks and buttons next to a screen and calling it a device once again.

Vorg

Banned
So I finally have my B model, so if anyone is interested and want to ask anything, feel free to do so.

A few points.

This thing is huge. I had seen pics but I guess I wasn't expecting it to be this big. Seriously, the s7800 gives the Game Gear a run for it's money in terms of size, and while I haven't touched a Game Gear in a while, I suspect JXD's console is actually bigger. Just looking at it, I find it amazing that something like that actually got made. Thanks, China!

Some games seem to work with the twin stick controls out of the box, like Dead Trigger and Expendable Rearmed. I'm guessing the games see it as some kind of controller.

The controls feel surprisingly confortable, nice and solid. Even playing Dead Trigger with the analogs felt great. I was expecting the control placement to be a problem, but it's not.

Some of the most recent android hits like Dead Trigger 2 and Dead Effect don't seem to be compatible with it on the Play Store. I've seen videos of people playing them on youtube though, so I'm pretty sure they can be side loaded.

It comes with some bugs out of the box, like icons you removed reappearing, and some bug on SuperSU that doesn't allow for root access, but I guess JXD will address those issues in coming updates. After all, it only came out a few days ago.

Vorg

Banned
How is the d-pad? Is there any lag on emulators?

The d-pad is ok. It's no Saturn or SNES d-pad but it's no 360 either. You can play fighting games with it. No lag on any emulators I tried. If you want me to try a specific emulator, just ask.

So where can you buy the JXD? Anyone have any experience with a reseller who ships to NA? I think I might grab a Model B since they're pretty reasonable, and the GCW Zero's d-pad is such a disappointment...

Heads up. Just bought this on dx.com for less than 50$. Can't wait for it to arrive and see what it can offer.

How does that price work? How does free worldwide shipping work?

Regardless, thanks for that. Didn't expect I'd be walking into a thread and impulse buying a tablet. Cost me less than Battlefield 4, so didn't see any other option really.

Osorio93

Neo Member
WTF
Great deal!!! I just bought a quadcore 2gb RAM gaming tablet for just 35€ !!!
It cost me less than a new videogame. LOL
Thanks GAF

Top Bottom