• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One day 1 update only takes about 15-20 min

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wii u sized update coming. 20 minutes under high stress server load? Should be fun.

JWong

Banned
Since Microsoft doesn't acknowledge place with poor bandwidth, most users is probably 100 terabits per second..

Hawk269

That must be pretty big update. On the 360 when doing the Beta's it would take only a few minutes for it to complete the whole thing. Granted, the memory footprint for the OS is a lot bigger this time, but still that seems like an long time.

Seeing that it takes me upwards of two hours to download a gig on XBL on a 50/25 connection, I'd be willing to bet they're absolutely full of shit. Xbox Live has always been laughably slow at downloading anything.

hawk2025

Only?

I've never had a 360 update take this long, not even close.

Then again, maybe he should have given an approximate file size instead of a completely meaningless time :p

How can you possibly estimate the DOWNLOAD TIME?! Maybe installation time as that should be fixed but this is completely meaningless. There's no way to know when connection speeds and bandwidth varies so drastically

What about people with extremely slow internet? Hours?

Just imagine a family getting one for Christmas and having to wait forever just to use the damn thing.

frizby

I think they'll be surprised how many returns this day one update will drive.

Assuming it's a brick until patched.

EGOMON

How large is the Xbox One’s Day One update? How long will it take to install?

MARC WHITTEN, XBOX ONE CHIEF PLATFORM ARCHITECT: We are optimizing Xbox One so that the day one update is as fast as possible. While we’re still finalizing the details, we expect that the download will take between 15 and 20 minutes for most users.
not gonna fall for words-play anymore

Mobius 1

Q: How big is it?
A: FIFITEEN MINUTES DUHH!!!111

Why not disclose the size in MB and let people plan accordingly?

Amir0x

Banned
He said they're "finalizing the details", which in Microsoft speak means that maybe it's 5 minutes, maybe it's 20 minutes, maybe it'll be delayed, maybe they'll patch it in parts, maybe they'll decide to add more things to the patch at the last moment, maybe they'll remove the patch because it has a bug in it, maybe they'll change the patch after complaints, maybe they'll decide the patch is the wrong way to implement it

but it's part of their vision

Pudge

Maybe if we all complain they'll instead offer the update on a flash drive included with every console!

Brannon

Every launch game should have the update on the disk, so there will be as little network congestion as possible, so when the console finally goes online, most of the people with disk games will be able to just pass a few kb's and be done, leaving the majority of the online updaters to those that are getting their games digitally. It would alleviate so much pressure

But it's not going to be ready before the games go gold, so yeah. That's just going to be so fun...

CLEEK

The big news is that Microsoft Maths™ now also applies to networking, not just computational power.

Downloads take 15-20 minutes for all, no matter the speed of your connection!

Latency on their streaming service is 45ms, regardless where you're located!

Majanew

Banned
Seeing that it takes me upwards of two hours to download a gig on XBL on a 50/25 connection, I'd be willing to bet they're absolutely full of shit. Xbox Live has always been laughably slow at downloading anything.

It takes you 2 hours to download 1GB at 50megs down? Uh, you might want to check your setup, something is wrong. I have 30megs down and can download 1GB on Xbox Live in roughly 5-10 mins.

Top Bottom