• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One day 1 update only takes about 15-20 min

Raptor

i+knew+this+was+going+to+happen+_bf2524481a66a9ac2d1c726c7e124923.jpg

ahahahah yeah!! This was the joke!!

:D

a916

Its the entire completed OS. Sony should have a similar day 1 update but not as large.

Source? It would make more sense to put a stable early build in the HDD during manufacturing and then provide an update. The entire OS just sounds stupid.

Anything online is probably going to be a clusterfuck on either system on launch day. I'd considered doing that $10 PS3/PS4 upgrade for Battlefield 4, until I realized that downloading a double-digit GB game on a day when untold thousands of people would be doing the same thing would likely be a slow, crawling misery. So, yeah, I feel for everyone downloading this update.

That's good. Definitely better than the Wii U. Nevertheless, based on load and the variable speed of Internet, I wouldn't put much faith in that number though.

viveks86

They could be referring to the average broadband speeds that MS was quoting from Akamai when they were justifying always online. Think it was 2.9 Mbps. Going by that calculation, it would be ~325 to 435 MB in size

But knowing MS, they could be assuming anything to be the bandwidth that "most users" have.

Let's them launch months earlier, or work on the OS til the very last minute.

Nintendo did the same thing, and I'd be shocked if Sony didn't either... day-1 patches means they can update things in that would've required being thrown on the HDD which have to be set months before.

Yeah I think this is why no one is showing the final UX yet. I'd be surprised if Sony does not have one, although it should be considerably smaller given there is no DRM impact.

Yawnier

Banned
This needs an answer. Is the console a useless brick without the update ?

I'm curious as to that as well. This might sound Adam Orth-ish, but something does tell me people who can afford spending over half a grand for a Xbox One and a few games at launch probably have access to the internet one way or another even if it is a really shitty, slow connection because of the area they live in.

Amir0x

Banned
How can they be if they are beta tested in the future?

that's so that when we get to the future we won't have to wait for details to be finalized.

Let me explain.

Right now, Microsoft is behind the detail finalization curve. Because they started out always in "finalizing the detail" mode, we as consumers have to wait for them to finalize said details, and when they are not finalized - which is frequently - we get frustrated.

The new strategy is quite brilliant. With them beta testing in the future, details will have been proactively decided on by the time we arrive at those future points in time. In other words, in those future timelines there are people that will always be perpetually waiting for the details to be finalized, while those in the past will always be able to read the finalized details without waiting.

The only complexity is that it is difficult to know whether we are in the timeline where the details are always being finalized, since, as it happens, we are in a timeline where the details are always currently being finalized. The paradox being we don't know if we have yet to initiate the future beta testing into the future or if we are the future that the past is being beta tested into.

That makes no sense at all. The problem is your set up and not XBL, Microsoft, or anyone for that matter. Are you using wireless, and if so what type of router are you using? Most likely you are using a pretty crappy one because its bottlenecking your internet speeds.

Connect your Xbox using wired and you will finally be able to take advantage of your internet speeds.

This is through four different router connections, wired is not plausible in the apartment I'm currently living in. I was actually wired in the last place I lived on 25/10, and the download speed was just as shitty. I just ran a speedtest on my computer that's currently connected wirelessly and pulled 62/18. Either the Xbox's wireless adapter blows donkey dicks or their servers suck, and I'm going with the second based on my experience with them wired.

Majanew

Banned
This is through four different router connections, wired is not plausible in the apartment I'm currently living in. I was actually wired in the last place I lived on 25/10, and the download speed was just as shitty. I just ran a speedtest on my computer that's currently connected wirelessly and pulled 62/18. Either the Xbox's wireless adapter blows donkey dicks or their servers suck, and I'm going with the second based on my experience with them wired.

It's on your end.

a916

Yeah I think this is why no one is showing the final UX yet. I'd be surprised if Sony does not have one, although it should be considerably smaller given there is no DRM impact.

Sony doesn't have a DRM reversal, but that doesn't mean they won't use all the time allotted to make it as good as they possibly can. I'd be beyond shocked if they didn't have a day 1 patch.

IT Slave

Banned
Source? It would make more sense to put a stable early build in the HDD during manufacturing and then provide an update. The entire OS just sounds stupid.

Poor choice of words. They'll have to update the entire OS. It has to be substantial since MS still can't bring itself to demo it for potential customers.

Skeff

Correct question is can you play a game without installing the update? If so, your question is moot since both next gen consoles went to manufacturing before the OS was complete.

No DRM is turned off during this update, confirmed by major nelson here on GAF.

Hawk269

In my opinion, day one on both consoles is going to be patch city. Both systems will have OS updates, then there will be game updates and most likely for every single title. With the crunch time to get things ready, I am sure that almost every game will have some update, but thankfully, both systems will do updates in the backround so that is going to be a good thing.

Respawn

Banned
Goodbye DSL owners you will be last in line to taste that data. I can guarantee this is going to a catastrophe when the entire nation boots up their consoles.

SpyGuy239

This is crazy, things are never going to go smoothly on launch day, unless maybe Microsoft have their Azure servers all up and ruining, ready to do stuff.

Can someone just explain to em why MS cannot ship the consoles with the hardware pre-installed?

Bsigg12

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sony has one as well. From the time that the production OS was sent in for manufacturing to launch is a long time both companies have to optimize their systems.

This is crazy, things are never going to go smoothly on launch day, unless maybe Microsoft have their Azure servers all up and ruining, ready to do stuff.

Can someone just explain to em why MS cannot ship the consoles with the hardware pre-installed?

Even before the change of policies they were planning a day one update. Every system will have a mostly finished OS, but they had planned on every console being connected to the internet so they essentially are allowing OS development to go into the last possible minute. The first run.of the systems will.have the preupdate OS but any system manufactured after the update is completed and live, should theoretically be already have the update.

BigDug13

In my opinion, day one on both consoles is going to be patch city. Both systems will have OS updates, then there will be game updates and most likely for every single title. With the crunch time to get things ready, I am sure that almost every game will have some update, but thankfully, both systems will do updates in the backround so that is going to be a good thing.

If you just want to get to gaming on day 1 though on PS4, just don't connect it to the Internet right away. It's playable out of the box.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Goodbye DSL owners you will be last in line to taste that data. I can guarantee this is going to a catastrophe when the entire nation boots up their consoles.

Actually this is something MS should be able to handle just fine. After all they host updates for a much larger number of clients for Windows patches.

Top Bottom