• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One day 1 update only takes about 15-20 min

i've less and it's just fine.

In fairness I've always been connected through official Microsoft wireless adapters on both of the 360s I've had, so it's quite possible those are shit though. But I've been on 15Mb/s,25M/bs, and 50M/bs and my download speeds on XBL have been shit on all of them.

frizby

He said they're "finalizing the details", which in Microsoft speak means that maybe it's 5 minutes, maybe it's 20 minutes, maybe it'll be delayed, maybe they'll patch it in parts, maybe they'll decide to add more things to the patch at the last moment, maybe they'll remove the patch because it has a bug in it, maybe they'll change the patch after complaints, maybe they'll decide the patch is the wrong way to implement it

but it's part of their vision

hannibal22.gif

hawk2025

Oh, man.

This will be the first stress test of their Azure servers.

They better be ready, because if shit goes wrong...

hohoXD123

The big news is that Microsoft Maths™ now also applies to networking, not just computational power.

Downloads take 15-20 minutes for all, no matter the speed of your connection!

Latency on their streaming service is 45ms, regardless where you're located!

To be fair, he said it'll take that long for most people, whether he is using whatever user connection data they have over at MS or some other source for "most people" who knows.

Iacobellis

It takes you 2 hours to download 1GB at 50megs down? Uh, you might want to check your setup, something is wrong. I have 30megs down and can download 1GB on Xbox Live in roughly 5-10 mins.

You might want to check yours, too. I have 18Mbps down and can download a gigabyte file in the same time you mentioned.

It takes you 2 hours to download 1GB at 50megs down? Uh, you might want to check your setup, something is wrong. I have 30megs down and can download 1GB on Xbox Live in roughly 5-10 mins.

My Xbox is on a unprotected zone on my router, and the Xbox shows full open NAT. My laptop consistently pulls the full 50+ down. This has been consistent through two different Xboxes (each Elites from around when they were adding HDMI ports standard and "fixing" the red ring shit) and four different router configurations.

e: And judging by how long it took my buddies to download patch data and map data for BF3, my performance doesn't seem like an outlier at all.

B.O.O.M

They basically dodged the question by being vague again. Like I said in the other thread, if they can guestimate a time range then there is no reason why they can't just tell us a size range for the patch.

Famous last words, but I'm not really worried about launch day server load. MS is as well prepared as anyone to handle that and they should be able to predict it based on preorder numbers.

Raptor

This reminds me when I got my PS3 like in 2011/2012 or something, with the console updates and GoW3 updates I think it was close to 4 hours to start playing lols.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Wii u sized update coming. 20 minutes under high stress server load? Should be fun.

If Microsoft is using the same servers as Windows Update they'll be more than ready. Still a silly thing to do, launching with an incomplete OS if that's what they're doing.

Jack_AG

Banned
20 minutes if you are the only one downloading or 20 minutes while the server is getting hammered?

This will be a fun watch.

Majanew

Banned
You might want to check yours, too. I have 18Mbps down and can download a gigabyte file in the same time you mentioned.

So I might be off a few mins -- Much different than 2 hours. I don't time it every time I download. I just know it zips by before I have much time to do anything else. Hits 80% and then says finished. .

I wonder how long it would take with my 1mbps download speed.
I wish they would just say how big the update was instead of dodging the question.

Nintendo use Akamai Technologies, one of the big players. And downloading the initial WiiU update took for-fucking-ever on my 25Mbs connection.

I still feel like a lot of that is the Wii U itself. I got mine well after launch and the update still took forever.

MS should be prepared to handle this. If they are able to handle things like the Windows 8 launch this should be a walk in the park.

Seeing that it takes me upwards of two hours to download a gig on XBL on a 50/25 connection, I'd be willing to bet they're absolutely full of shit. Xbox Live has always been laughably slow at downloading anything.

That makes no sense at all. The problem is your set up and not XBL, Microsoft, or anyone for that matter. Are you using wireless, and if so what type of router are you using? Most likely you are using a pretty crappy one because its bottlenecking your internet speeds.

Connect your Xbox using wired and you will finally be able to take advantage of your internet speeds.

a916

If Microsoft is using the same servers as Windows Update they'll be more than ready. Still a silly thing to do, launching with an incomplete OS if that's what they're doing.

Let's them launch months earlier, or work on the OS til the very last minute.

Nintendo did the same thing, and I'd be shocked if Sony didn't either... day-1 patches means they can update things in that would've required being thrown on the HDD which have to be set months before.

Top Bottom