• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Umihara 3DS) confirmed for NA via eShop by Natsume, in early 2014

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/2...ka-farewell-umihara-kawase-coming-early-2014/

Siliconera can announce Natsume will publish Agatsuma Entertainment’s Farewell, Umihara Kawase in North America as Yumi’s Odd Odyssey. "We have been interested in releasing this unique title for awhile now," said Hiro Maekawa, President and CEO at Natsume. "We are working very closely with Agatsuma Entertainment to bring this game to our fans, who we know appreciate games that are a little different, and also have lovable characters."

Yumi’s Odd Odyssey is slated for release in early 2014 as an Nintendo eShop download.

ibuoU3IbqI9VQO.png
i9ZbqmetLbygT.png

Takao

Banned
Would Medarot really sell worse than the likes of this, Mystic Chronicles, and Carnage Heart EXA?

Oh, and that special skill is not that special. I can do that.

Tizoc

Ok, now confirm it for EU as soon as possible.

Likewise! Odd they'd call her Yumi, though it could work as her nickname.

Wonder if this means the PSX Umihara game may be coming to US PSN by the end of the year...

meppi

Finally confirmation. Now let's get this for Europe as well!

Already have the Japanese copy myself, but haven't picked up a Japanese 3DS.
Seems like I may be able to hold off a little longer. ;)

Last Umihara game in the west.

I dunno. If this does well we might see the Super Famicom version released in the VC.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Woohoo, I love platformers and obscure japanese games. How good is that series?

meppi

Every game in the series has been brilliant so far except for the botched PSP port job.

Wouldn't call it a pure platformer though as it's very dependant on the fishing line physics.
The original definition of rubbering action game still fits to this day. ;)

Clov

I'm a little disappointed there won't be a retail copy, but I'll still be picking this up. I'm glad to see that it's made it over!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Awesome. Seems like an interesting game, especially since I liked the BC Rearmed games. Now to wait & hear how much it'll cost.

Whoally shit—Day -1 for this, please. I really hope this 3DS version can satisfy me for good, because this game's nuts.

Also, that plot explanation is silly. Everyone knows Yumi's a school-girl trapped in an Evangelion-like dream-world trying to make it to the end of the school day.

Once I got the hook physics down it became one of my favourite platformers. Stages sometimes branch off with different exits so you get a progression curve where you may opt for the easier doors at first then begin to challenge yourself with the other ones on replays and it becomes really satisfying. I prefer the sequel over the first due to it toning down on enemy spawns. The games have a great kooky atmosphere going for them and the music is just relaxing to play to.

Tenki

I don't like the crappy anime look, as it looks amateurish, but the game looks neat. I like the hook gameplay. Now I need an announcement for Europe.

butman

A lot of Gafers exited for this game.
So some info might be great for who doesn't know anything:

- What it is about?
- How many games of this franchise they are to date?
- They are serialized?
- We missing something if we don't play the rest of the games?
- Can we find the previous games on english so we can understand something? or it's not necessary?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
A lot of Gafers exited. So some info might be great.

- What it is about?
- They are serialized?
- Can we find the previous games on english so we can understand something? or it's not necessary?
Basically, take the swinging from Bionic Commando, make it a bit more bouncy/rubbery, and more focused on physics & puzzles. The only "real" entries are on Super Famicom & PS1 (if you have a JPN PSN, you can download it onto your PS3) with a PSP port of the PS1 version that people don't consider that good, though there was a DS port of the both games that was better received. I don't think there's a huge language barrier. Hardcore Gaming 101 did a write-up of the SFC & PS1/PSP versions.

Edit: This guy also did a review of the Super Famicom version that informed me about the game/series.

A lot of Gafers exited. So some info might be great.

- What it is about?

Girl equipped with elastic, physics-based platforming device explores point-A-to-multiple-B levels. The games are challenging, highly skill-based, and conducive to leaderboard-based play.

The SFC original, a PlayStation remake, a shoddy fan-port on the PSP, and this installment.

- They are serialized?

Each game's a variation on the same concept, no story knowledge needed.

Differences in game mechanics and balancing, really, plus different levels per game.

No need for English translations until the later games; the SFC version barely has any Japanese text anyway.

Top Bottom