• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Umihara 3DS) confirmed for NA via eShop by Natsume, in early 2014

Laws00

About time this thing came out in the USA

I remember reading a awhile ago maybe 2009 that this game was suppose to come out on psp

This game has a special place in my heart. If anyone remembers buyrite videogame the website 2001 or something. They used to to have deals or something. I bought a converter for my ps1 bought DBZ ultimate battle 22 (dont judge me) and a free game came with it. Out of all of them Umihara Kawase Shun 2nd edition seemed interesting. Mind you I just said fuck it and picked a game that seemed interested. Who knew i'd end up playing this game longer then that DBZ lol

SLPS-02549.jpg

I wonder why they changed her name? It seems like a frivolous thing to change. Is Yumi really any better than Umihara? Or just Umi? I am curious why they did that.

The gameplay is pretty darn brutal, especially if it is like the PS1 game and has no checkpoints. The game is all about mastering the character and getting more mobile. I found it exhausting in long stretches, but the pick up and play nature is perfect for the 3DS.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder why they changed her name? It seems like a frivolous thing to change. Is Yumi really any better than Umihara? Or just Umi? I am curious why they did that.

The gameplay is pretty darn brutal, especially if it is like the PS1 game and has no checkpoints. The game is all about mastering the character and getting more mobile. I found it exhausting in long stretches, but the pick up and play nature is perfect for the 3DS.
Yeah, I'm kind of intrigued by the change in name. Umihara's Odd Odyssey just not have the same ring or something?

& there's one character that allows you to make checkpoints, so I guess she could be considered a form of Easy Mode, along with the other girl that can slow down time in order to better time your grabs. They sound like the characters to use if you're new to the game to get a hold of the mechanics.

zroid

Banned
Hopefully it's reasonably priced, I really hate paying more than $20 on digital stuff. That's not limited to the eShop either, just in general. I miiiight swing for 30 though, because of what it is.

Umihara Kawase is a difficult Japanese expression that would sound over-long or disappointingly odd in English (something to do with fish, I remember). This is a decent title change.

rjc571

Banned
Sayonara Umihara is my GotY so far, so anybody who doesn't own a Japanese 3DS should pick it up. Unfortunately, you're going to be missing out on the sublime bonus soundtrack CD which shipped with the retail game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Umihara Kawase is a difficult Japanese expression that would sound over-long or disappointingly odd in English (something to do with fish, I remember). This is a decent title change.
Something about how each kanji in the name relates to sea, belly, river, & fat, referencing an idiot in Japan about how "Sea fish are fat in the belly; river fish are fat in the back." from what I've heard/read.

I'm fine with the "Odd Odyssey" part, but considering her name is Umihara, I don't get why they didn't just shorten it to Umi, though I guess Yumi is a more common name. I completely understand changing the title since the name doesn't really give any hint about the game to an US audience.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I remember playing the SFC Umihara Kawase some time back, it was a lot of fun. I hope this comes over to Europe...

fek

Awesome! Wish it was a physical release but I can understand why they are going digital only. Will buy day one.

Camjo-Z

Sweet! A fellow gaffer all but confirmed this to me a few months ago but it's good to finally see it officially announced.

chrono01

I remember watching Arino play one of these games on Game Center CX [I think it was the SFC version]. It looked like a lot of fun and I'll definitely be purchasing this one when it's released. I'm surprised, and excited, to see it get a NA release.

Shame about the digital-only, though. I would have liked a physical copy. :(

Voliko

Hell yeah. One of the 3DS games I really wanted to see come over. Shame about the digital only, but it's not really a surprise.

georly

Never played the original, but I watched the game center CX. Gameplay doesn't really do anything for me, but if it comes out at a good time, i'll buy it just to support these types of games being localized. I might find that I like it anyway.

I have been a fan of this series since I watched Arino play the first game on GCCX. It's one of my favorite episodes.

Super excited for this, but I don't know if I'll be any good at it. Will still pick it up immediately.

Well, at least one of these games finally came out here. Shame we had to wait two decades for a download-only handheld release... of the last game in the series ever. I'm just a little frustrated at that.

But yeah, I'll buy it, of course. It'll be nice for an Umihara game to be available through some other means than a rare import.

RM8

YES. Wow, I can't believe this is happening. I hate digital only, but it's either that or no localization with games like this and Kokuga.

Kumubou

I don't even mind the digital only release (this game is so niche no retailer would put it on a shelf anyway), but man do I hate Nintendo's DD system. Do I hate it enough to not buy this, though?... nope. Finally glad to see a game in this series get released outside of Japan, even if it was 20 years later than it should have been.

apricot

Great news but... that name huh

Well I won't look a gift horse in the mouth! I haven't played any of the previous titles but I'll definitely give this one a go

-Horizon-

First time I'm hearing about this game and series. I might look into this, based on the reactions so far in this thread, a lot of people really like it.

Great news. Also, the Game Center CX episode of this is a must-watch.

I just came in to say that. Also, its a double-edged sword, but this is why i'm ok with the digital future. Unlike Capcom and Wright, i doubt we would have ever gotten this game if could have only been a physical release.

Lijik

wow not even the end of 2013 and 2014 GOTY has already been decided

so much fucking hype, im so happy this is getting localized

Eusis

Wonder if they had trouble convincing retailers to stock the game? Or simply didn't have much faith themselves it'd take? At any rate I'm glad it's coming here, and not only DD assuring it's less likely it'll be canned but the fact it's a GOOD version. Don't doubt the PSP version ultimately fell through because of the purportedly FUBARed physics.

duckroll

I'm really surprised that the game is getting localized. I hope it's good, and if there aren't any nasty bugs this time I'll definitely be picking this up on the eShop. :D

L~A

Pretty good news, though not unexpected (Agatsuma Entertainement themselves said they wanted to bring this in the West even before the JP release). Hope a European release won't take 6 months or so, like Code of Princess...

rjc571

Banned
I'm really surprised that the game is getting localized. I hope it's good, and if there aren't any nasty bugs this time I'll definitely be picking this up on the eShop. :D

I've beaten it 100%, it's really good and there aren't any bugs from what I remember. The boss fights are garbage, though.

I've seen a vid and... am not hyped at all.

What's so good about this game exactly?

It's an extremely technical platformer that requires mastery of its controls to get the most out of it. As you play the game more and more, you become better adjusted to the game's physics and you start to learn how to pull of more and more advanced moves, which are required to see everything the game has to offer. This type of learning curve makes the game extremely rewarding as you can tangibly feel yourself getting better as you progress, in a way that few other games can match.

It's also an extremely charming game (despite the hideous graphics) and has very calming music, which helps prevent you from getting too angry after you fail a stage for the hundredth time.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Wonderful! Will definitely buy this. I'm kinda sad it's download only, but with a game like this it's probably this or nothing, so I'm okay with it.

Despera

Banned
It's an extremely technical platformer that requires mastery of its controls to get the most out of it. As you play the game more and more, you become better adjusted to the game's physics and you start to learn how to pull of more and more advanced moves, which are required to see everything the game has to offer. This type of learning curve makes the game extremely rewarding as you can tangibly feel yourself getting better as you progress, in a way that few other games can match.

It's also an extremely charming game (despite the hideous graphics) and has very calming music, which helps prevent you from getting too angry after you fail a stage for the hundredth time.
Sounds like my kind of game. Thanks for the rundown.

Top Bottom