• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on The Minish Cap

Believe it or not this is the only handheld Zelda (besides the Oracle games, that'll be another thread) I haven't played. Where do you consider this among the Zelda games? I do know that the SS director started as Minish Cap's over at Capcom and I really loved Skyward Sword.

Gadirok

Its actually my favorite zelda game. I despised LTTP but loved Minish Cap.

I loved the whole shrinking down and that talking hat whos name I suddenly forgot.

I've also never been a big fan of the 3D zelda games on the Wii but I enjoyed Ocarina of Time and the short time I had with Wind Waker. I may get a WiiU down the line and finish Wind Waker.

Never played Majora's Mask though.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the minority, but it might be might favorite Zelda. It's one of the most beautiful sprite-based games.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Good game. A bit short. Feels like Oracles-lite in a lot of ways, so if you enjoy it OP you're in for a treat when you get to them.

Aeana

Honestly? It's probably my favorite 2D Zelda, although I really need to replay a couple of them to make that deterimination for sure. I couldn't put it down when I play it, played all the way through in one shot.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Solid, but not great. Overworld is a tad small, and it feels like it ends to quickly.

What's there is fun, but I feel like an extra dungeon or two would have really helped flesh out the experience.

I liked it, short and sweet, nice melodic music, and had a pretty unique feel for a Zelda game. Very cheerful tone. Couple annoying things but overall it was great.

Boogiepop

I recall it being a nice little game. I definitely liked the sidequests with all the stuff to collect (I got it all!) but the main game felt a little short, IIRC. Didn't it have a pretty low dungeon count for a Zelda? I really should replay it sometime, though. Have it from the Ambassador program sitting on my 3DS, but I haven't played it since its original release way back when on the GBA.

Gadirok

I should rephrase that. I didn't despise it but the game really annoyed me when I got halfway through. It felt like it began dragging along when I reached the Mirror world (and it felt like more or less the same world to me with minor changes) and some of the dungeons (forgot what you call them in the game) I was getting fed up with how bland the game was getting.

Jamix012

My favourite 2D Zelda, a little easy but so well designed. Everything just flows so smoothly and this thread makes me want to replay it.

I love the more arcade-y and platform-y feel of it, and wouldn't mind seeing more Zelda games that pick up on that aspect. The new abilities feel great, and I dig the cartoon vibrancy of the world. The dungeons are pretty good for the most part, and the bosses are fun, but the overworld feels a bit cut and dry imo. There's something a little too pat and inorganic about it, similar to the Oracle games (no surprise). The tight pacing and level of interactivity endear it to me however. I also like the thematic variety between areas, although some are definitely more developed than others.

Overall It's a damn sight better than the DS games, but it falls well short of Link to the Past and Link's Awakening imo, even though there are certain mechanics I think it does better. My take is that it's a very good Zelda game, especially for a portable, but not a stone cold classic. Still, I prefer it to any of the other post-MM Zelda games. At least it's to the point and fun to pick up and play. I'll take a shorted but densely packed Zelda to the tedious padded out sprawls I've come to associate with modern Zelda games any day.

Ugh Link's Awakening is the worst 2D Zelda in my opinion.

Haven't played the NES games properly, but I'd agree with this. The map design in LA is quite annoying to navigate through (like some maze) and the Oracles did much better covering up the Gameboy's issues.

Randomizer

Great game but it's quite easy and short. It's far down my list of favourite Zelda games though. Also nowhere near the best 2D Zelda or even handheld as Lttp, LA and the oracles games are all better.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I replayed it last year immediately after replaying LttP and found I preferred MC quite a bit. Great game with lots of extra stuff to do.

And the singing Malon sprite in the game is probably the most kawaii thing I've ever seen.

Esque7

I honestly cannot get into any of the 2D Zelda games, with the exception of the original. LttP was a chore for me to finish, I have no drive to continue playing Link's Awakening, and I can't bring myself to play (start) the Oracle games either. I have Minish Cap on my 3DS from the Ambassador program but I have the same issue, I just can't be bothered to play past the beginning.

Only the original NES Zelda game lured me in and is one of my favorite games ever.

RE_Player

Haven't played the NES games properly, but I'd agree with this. The map design in LA is quite annoying to navigate through (like some maze) and the Oracles did much better covering up the Gameboy's issues.

Agreed. It just didn't have any charm to it as well. Even my least favourite Zelda games, Skyward Sword and Zelda II, had some hook in them.

Top Bottom