• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on The Minish Cap

Kenka

Favourite Zelda with Majora's Mask.

Talking about Majora's Mask, I would love to be surprised during today's ND.

Myriadis

One of the best 2D Zelda games. Great dungeons, the best town of the 2D Zelda games, a ton of optional sidequests and areas and great gameplay. It's just a bit short though, Ezlo talks too much and it's too easy for 80% of the game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty low in my ranking of the Zelda games. I'd say that it's better than Zelda II and the DS Zeldas, but that's it. The only thing really special about it is the art style. Really pretty.

Lotto

I completed it 100%

I loved it.
I actually watched my siblings beat the other Zelda games but this was the first Zelda game I beat on my own

GamerJM

Banned
Top 3 Zelda game and the best 2D one (but I haven't played LA/Oracles yet). I typically play the games for the dungeons mostly but Minish Cap has some really really great sidequest stuff though some people think it's kinda tedious. Also the fact that you can roll sort of makes the other 2D games feel archaic to me.

$200

Banned
I thought it was bad and was the game that started the downfall of handheld Zelda and completely do not understand why gaf loves it.

redcrayon

I love it, it wipes the floor with the DS Zeldas. Up there with LA, LTTP and LBW as one of my favourite entries in the series.

The only thing I don't like is all the kinstone and figurine stuff, but you can pretty much just ignore it, especially the figurines. Is there any reason to actually collect them at all? On both of my playthroughs I've spent about half an hour buying figures but it just seems so pointless.

I really liked Minish Cap, but it feels so unfinished. The concept was fun and they made good use of the miniaturisation. I don't know what the fine folks at Flagship are doing these days, but I'd be up for another 2D Zelda game by them.

The parts I didn't like were that the Kinstones felt pretty pointless. I liked them when they unlocked new things in the world. When they basically unlocked another kinstone piece, which it did plenty of times, it was straight up wasting my time. Another thing that bugged me a bit was that the game often felt box-y. This is entirely due to the fact that there were no diagonal walls. The quality of the assets were amazing and the straight 90° corners took away from that a bit. I'm also pretty sure this game has a couple of permanently missable in the PAL version.

One thing to note is that there is a "chapter" in Okami that reminds me a whole lot of Minish Cap. I know this may be entirely due to sharing the "becoming small and meeting tiny people concept", but since both were made by Capcpom, I couldn't help but make the connection. It also happens to be my favourite part of Okami.

Taker666

I really liked the big/small mechanic..far more interesting than the light/dark world variation. I'd quite like to see it replicated/expanded in a mainline console Zelda.

redcrayon

I've read you can obtain a piece of heart from figurines, while with the fusion thing there are a lot of items you can gain.
Oh, the kinstone fusion I don't mind quite so much as you can chip away at it with everyone you meet, but the figurines is really tedious. Do you have to get them all for the heart piece or something? It's so slow buying them individually, I reckon that must take a total of at least a couple of hours of game time just standing there pressing the button to get the set of 130, plus you can only carry so many shells, it's not like it requires any kind of thought or skill whatsoever. Must be one of the longest and least rewarding sidequests (considering the time and cost required to complete it) in the series.

If I play through it again it's the only sidequest in a Zelda game that I just won't even bother starting.

peronmls

i felt claustrophobic playing this game. I think it was my least favorite out of all. Most likely wont replay it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Beautiful graphics for a GBA game, and the relationship between Link and Zelda is so cute :3 Really love reading the manga adaptation, where their relationship is even cuter <3 <3 <3 <3

Still not as cute as Spirit Tracks though.

balgajo

Really love ALBW and ALTTP, but Minish Cap is my favorite 2D Zelda. MC is a lot immersive, the main city is so lively with tons of thing to do...great memories!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Believe it or not this is the only handheld Zelda (besides the Oracle games, that'll be another thread) I haven't played. Where do you consider this among the Zelda games? I do know that the SS director started as Minish Cap's over at Capcom and I really loved Skyward Sword.

It's rather easy and short. Nice graphics and entertaining all the way through though.

If you are OCD and love to 100% games, this one is evil with its capsule collecting though.

dumbyugi

It's my favourite 2d Zelda game to play through. It's also my least favourite Zelda game to 100%. If it wasn't for the heart piece you need to get all the figures for I would be fine with getting 100% but it's so tedious getting all of them.

SegaShack

A very generic by the books Zelda game that offers no challenge, no great characters, and is too short and too easy. Considering that this game came out after the DS was already released I was very disappointed. The Oracle Games and Link's Awakening or awesome, this is just a mediocre game. I bought this game at full price on release and followed Nintendo Power's articles about it up until its release, it did not come close to any expectations I had.

Tygamr

My favorite handheld Zelda, and the best 2D Zelda... Well, tied with ALttP anyway.
The sidequests in this game are really fun, and while the world isn't huge, it feels like it's filled with secrets. The NPCs are all pretty interesting too, in contrast to some other games in the series with very bland NPCs (ALBW was filled with uninteresting characters).
Like others have mentioned, the world just kinda feels more there.

RiggyRob

Ah, the forgotten Zelda. Recently bought it physically a while back, I forgot how much better than the DS Zeldas it was. Well worth playing either on GBA or the Virtual Console (when it releases).

Dr. Buni

Good game, but as far as top view Zelda games are concerned, Link's Awakening, the Oracle duo (mainly Seasons) and A Link to the Past are much better.

roytheone

This game was actually the very first zelda game I played. It was kinda short, but I absolutely loved it. The graphics were fantastic for a GBA game, the music was amazing, the dungeons where fun, the overworld had a lot of things to do. This game made me a fan of the series, and it is still my favorite 2D zelda game (maybe because of the whole "the first you play will always be your favorite" thing).

StayDead

I loved Minish Cap but there was a few moments where I got completely dumbfounded and had no idea where to go.

Cool dungeons (like the minecart one) but not enough of them, still a great game though.

A great game, not the best Zelda, but certainly not the worst. I really liked the characters they created even if it wasn't the most memorable Hyrule.

E-phonk

Banned
Also, the artwork for minish cap features the best designed kid-link.

smIaGlx.jpg

Lurch666

Enjoyed the game but never finished it.Timed battle against 4 wing nuts then a boss battle without checkpoints.If I had known in advance I would have stocked up on health but by time I made it to that part all my bottles were empty.I could either gone back to the main world to stock up again (long trek) or tried to beat the final part on just one set of hearts.Gave up in the end.Never went back.

Maybe it's time to try again with foresight.
Actually got around to doing this again.

Dunno why but first time round I missed the warp points and the fact it's easy to get back to the main world from the path that leads to the final battle (Must have been drunk first time)

That last battle is still a pain and the final boss has way to many forms but thanks to quicksave I beat it (I didn't have the patience to do it properly).

Apart from the end its a great Zelda but no where near the beast.

Teppic

I replayed this after completing ALBTW a little while ago. My first impression was "this is the worst Zelda game" but after playing it a bit more I started to like it.

I think the game is good, but has a few flaws. Combat feels really weird after ALBTW. I did get used to the combat after playing more, but I don't think it's that good. I found the fusing to be fun, but also a bit repetitive. Having to go from big to small Link got old after a while. Dungeons were fun, and I had fun fighting all the bosses. Music isn't that great, but not that bad either.

I had fun replaying it, mostly because I didn't remember much from the last time I played it. It had a rough start, but got more fun as the game progressed and you got more items that made your progress through the world faster.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I agree with those calling this the best handheld Zelda-game, even though Link's Awakening probably made a bigger impression on me when it first came out.

Permanent missables. Full of busywork backtracking for fusion prizes almost never worth the effort. Some non-intuitive boss mechanics that lead to trial and error of items rather than strategy and execution.

One of my least favorite Zelda games.

That said, the shrinking mechanic had some good puzzles and was used really nicely in some boss fights.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It's one of the better Zeldas, but it's far too short (only 6 dungeons???) and far too easy. The shrinking gimmick could have been cool if presented in a more holistic way, but all it was used for was more lock-and-key style puzzles. Plus the kinstone fetch quest wasn't terribly exciting.

Boss of the wind caves is one of the most clever 2D Zelda boss battles though.

Quite good, but was way to easy and short and lacks the level of quality that the Oracle games exude. It was still really well designed, charming, and fun to play, just not quite as impressive as other Zeldas.

Lunar15

Minish Cap is great. It's pretty light on content though, but I enjoyed what I played. I really liked the shrinking mechanic and I kind of wish it had been a little more fleshed out. It'd be cool to see it return in another title somehow.

Top Bottom