• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on The Minish Cap

Mr-Joker

Banned
Minish Cap is a great game but like Windwaker the game is far too short, I also hated how you couldn't get the mirror shield until you finished the game.

Makes me wonder if the development time was cut short.

I loved the whole shrinking down and that talking hat whos name I suddenly forgot.

The hat name is Elzo.

Never played Majora's Mask though.

You should play Majora's Mask it's a great game.

All you people calling it easy must be forgetting the gauntlet before the final boss fight and the final boss fight, all without any check points.

That part is only hard if you don't have the remote bombs to deal with the knights.

ThisOne

Minish Cap is better than the DS Zeldas, but probably worse than every other Zelda for me. It was a fun game, but felt too easy and too short. It does have a cool look to it though. I really like 2D sprites. Wish the new 3DS Zelda was using sprites instead of weird looking 3D models.

Ragus

Banned
The funny thing is, it's the last Zelda, about which I can't say a bad thing. After MC, every new Zelda bothered me in one way, or another. I hope that ALTTP2 will change that.

Very, veeeeery good game.

Greenzxy

Capcom definitely has some really good spriters. Every single time I start a new game of Minish Cap and I see that rich Hyrule grass, BAM, I'm in awe.

Platy

My favorite zelda.

I can't even explain exactly why, since every other zelda does something better than it.

But I guess it is how it is so much fun and easy and you just go walking in this pretty world =3

The hat name is Elzo.

Ezlo

Alboreo

It's my second favorite Zelda game, behind Wind Waker. I loved the art style, the dungeons were fun, and the world was very interesting to me.

wmlk

Absolutely loved it. The art style was so whimsical and the world felt really interesting. To me it's the perfect Zelda game with child Link in it. I don't know how to explain it but child Link just fits into that world like a glove.

wmlk

Just check out this world, man...flawless. It all reminds me of how adventurous Hoenn is for Pokémon.

Hyrule_(The_Minish_Cap).png

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's okay. It looks great, but the overworld is boring, sometimes what you have to do to advance makes no sense at all and kinstones are simply annoying.
It's a good game, but one of the weaker Zelda games (still miles ahead of the DS games).

Chao

Gba zelda games were erased from my memory after beating them. They are that bland and uninspired. The tiny link mechanic was so stupid, served no real purpose.

I also hated that graphical style.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Gba zelda games were erased from my memory after beating them. They are that bland and uninspired. The tiny link mechanic was so stupid, served no real purpose.

I also hated that graphical style.
there's only one GBA Zelda unless you count 4 Swords but why would you do that

Too short, beat in 2 days of casual playing. It's fun and has a nice light story, but it needed maybe 2 more dungeons or something.

Tiktaalik

I played this through in one shot, which has got to say something, yet at the same time nothing particularly stands out in my memory. Solid but not groundbreaking perhaps?

I recall it has great art.

One of my least favorites. Too short, too easy. It looks pretty though.

As far as Capcom Zeldas go, the Oracle games were much better, IMO.

rahmz

Neo Member
You're going to make me cry. Nostalgia...

I played this game when I was in grade 9. I would play it in the mornings just before going to school. Those mornings with minish cap... and it was during the winter season too! So, I would occasionally have some hot chocolate nearby...*sniff

but yeah, great game for sure! It was my first handheld zelda game, and back then I only liked my zelda on consoles... My preferences changed completely afterwards though.

GBA era was sublime.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
in terms of portable entries

Spirit Tracks > Link's Awakening > Minish Cap > Phantom Hourglass

maxcriden

I'll throw my name in as another who considers this their favorite Zelda. I am a big fan of the seres, especially the N64 and Oracle games, and I think this is an inspired and satisfying entry with a terrific sidequest. The visuals and soundtrack are great too.

Love it! It's what PHantom Hourglass and Spriti Tracks should've been since it uses the same WW character design

I miss that team that made this and the Oracle series. They did a better job than Aunoma's handheld team, although my mind will hopefully change once LttP2 comes out.

I think Aunoma and his team was trapped under the whole casual craze when they made the DS Zeldas. Judging the game on the trailers, LttP2 looks like the creative chain was broken loose and they went all out on a handheld Zelda we've been waiting for since Minish and Oracles.

valouris

It is so so good.

I had tried starting it a couple of times, but for some reason the beginning always dragged on too much for me, and I put it down both times. (I still think the beginning is weak).

6 months ago I tried it again, and it really really stuck, and it really blew me away. Fantastic overworld, some really cool dungeons, and a really pretty game, still.

I totally recommend it, for me it is better than the Oracles, nearly as good as Link's Awakening.

When Minish Cap first came out it looked so different from the other 2D Zelda games... I loved it!

Link's Awakening is still my favorite 2D Zelda because of the fond memories I have associated with it but Minish Cap is a very close 2nd.

OnPoint

It's okay. It looks great, but the overworld is boring, sometimes what you have to do to advance makes no sense at all and kinstones are simply annoying.
It's a good game, but one of the weaker Zelda games (still miles ahead of the DS games).

I don't remember getting stuck or things not making sense. But I agree with you on most of your other points.

I did like the game when I played it though.

AdamMPSP

Love this game. I remember playing through it on a christmas break while visiting family, all on my Gameboy Micro. Such good times.

alf717

I remember not giving the game much attention when released. Then my niece was telling me about so I pick up a copy and found the game to be really good. Would be nice to see more Zelda titles like this. The whole miniature thing was well done and added a neat way to solve puzzles and find quest items. When it comes to Zelda hand held titles they don't get much attention from me. I played and beat Link's Awakening and Minish Cap. I own both seasons and both DS titles but they didn't hook me in. Minish Cap reminded me of A Link to the Past which could be why I enjoyed it so much.

Top Bottom