• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square: Type-0 and Dissidia are more popular among teens than mainline Final Fantasy

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I realize we have a separate thread about the Dissidia part of this interview, but I thought this was interesting enough to warrant its own discussion.

Obviously he's referring to Japanese teenagers.

For reference, here are the years the mainline games released and what age someone who is a teenager today (13-19 years old) would have been when the game released.

Mainline:

2001: Final Fantasy X - [1 to 7 years old]
2002: Final Fantasy XI - [2 to 8 years old]
2006: Final Fantasy XII - [6 to 13 years old]
2009: Final Fantasy XIII - [9 to 16 years old]
2010: Final Fantasy XIII - [10 to 17 years old]

Dissidia/Type-0:

2009: Dissidia: Final Fantasy - [9 to 16 years old]
2011: Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy - [11 to 18 years old]
2011: Final Fantasy Type-0 - [11 to 18 years old]

Siliconera said:
“When you ask kids in their teens about their favorite Final Fantasy titles, Final Fantasy Type-0 and Dissidia are more popular than the main-numbered series,” shares the producer, while mentioning that there are many who were still children when they first experienced playing Dissidia Final Fantasy.
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/1...-introduce-final-fantasy-new-generation-fans/

Jackpot

Banned
Well if this gen is all they've been exposed to then those games are significantly better than the console entries. X and XII really weren't that memorable.

Village

while I wish to elaborate on this further in a thread on its own.

When I was a kid, and even now the final fantasy( 7 forward) presented in cut scenes, was quite different than the FF presented to me in game. The games were still good, however they weren't.. the cutscenes, very melodic turn based exsperiences. When games like KH and DMC came out, I actually got to play the game I had been shown, so to speak. And being able to do all the cool stuff you see it the cutscenes ( albeit sometimes powered down versions) was pretty cool and connected with me. KH and DMC are two of my favorite video game franchises.

I think its very understandable that they like the game they actually get to "play"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
These spinoff were also on Plattforms which were in a way more popular system for this target group. Nothing against the PS3, but the PSP sold twice as much in Japan and games like Dissidia are fanservice deluxe while the FF 13 trainwreck has been selling less with each iteration.

Put a game like Dissidia on a system like the PS4 instead of 3DS or PSP and it might not attract as many teenagers.

McDougles

Well if this gen is all they've been exposed to then those games are significantly better than the console entries. X and XII really weren't that memorable.

image.php

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If I was in high school I know Type-0 would've suited my taste more. Big Yu Yu Hakusho and Bleach fan at the time. High school anime action-adventure stuff.

I realize we have a separate thread about the Dissidia part of this interview, but I thought this was interesting enough to warrant its own discussion.

Obviously he's referring to Japanese teenagers.

For reference, here are the games released while they were alive and what age they would be, assuming a teenager is 13 to 19.

Mainline:

2001: Final Fantasy X - [1 to 7 years old]
2002: Final Fantasy XI - [2 to 8 years old]
2006: Final Fantasy XII - [6 to 13 years old]
2009: Final Fantasy XIII - [9 to 16 years old]
2010: Final Fantasy XIII - [10 to 17 years old]

Dissidia/Type-0:

2009: Dissidia: Final Fantasy - [9 to 16 years old]
2011: Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy - [11 to 18 years old]
2011: Final Fantasy Type-0 - [11 to 18 years old]

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/1...-introduce-final-fantasy-new-generation-fans/

Whut m8?

FFXII is a grown ass man's game.

DJIzana

I'm more interested in this.

Additionally, the hit SNES title, Chrono Trigger, will be celebrating its 20th anniversary in a little over a year. For the occasion, Hazama states his desire to connect Chrono Trigger’s original story writer, Yuji Horii (also known as the father of the Dragon Quest series,) with former Squaresoft producer and director Hironobu Sakaguchi, to create the “ultimate dot-art” game. However, he states that the hurdles are high and might be difficult to do.

Skilletor

These spinoff were also on Plattforms which were in a way more popular system for this target group. Nothing against the PS3, but the PSP sold twice as much in Japan and games like Dissidia are fanservice deluxe while the FF 13 trainwreck has been selling less with each iteration.

Put a game like Dissidia on a system like the PS4 instead of 3DS or PSP and it might not attract as many teenagers.

Sure, it's fanservice if you've played the previous games, but considering the age groups of people in this survey, I don't think that would be the case.

Maxim726X

So they wrote FF13 for children, and they still didn't like it?

They really are destroying the brand. Instead of spending years upon years for 13, they should have just re-released FF7 and introduced the series to an entire new generation of people.

Oh well.

Village

I think its the structure really, Dissidia is a fighting game , not a traditional one but a fighting game none the less.\

Which do you think looks cooler, the game that takes time with all the numbers, or the game where jetch can hit cloud upside the head, still with numbers but less take turns. Kingdom Hearts isn't the fastest game, however the amount of people wishing they could play a FF game like that is far larger than you would imagine.

Esura

Banned
while I wish to elaborate on this further in a thread on its own.

When I was a kid, and even now the final fantasy( 7 forward) presented in cut scenes, was quite different than the FF presented to me in game. The games were still good, however they weren't.. the cutscenes, very melodic turn based exsperiences. When games like KH and DMC came out, I actually got to play the game I had been shown, so to speak. And being able to do all the cool stuff you see it the cutscenes ( albeit sometimes powered down versions) was pretty cool and connected with me. KH and DMC are two of my favorite video game franchises.

I think its very understandable that they like the game they actually get to "play"

I believe it to be a combination of this, being on PSP, and just being FF fan service game in general is why it's so popular.

I'm a bit indifferent to it only because when it was first announced as a fighting game I was thinkin more....Fate/unlimited codes and less....Power Stone with RPG stuff. Guess it's my fault for expecting something different. T_T

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well, Type-0 was much better than the last few mainline FF, so I'm not that surprised.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Makes total sense, especially when you consider that they're on handhelds, feature multiplayer, and were big releases of this generation.

Also, typically kids like what they grew up with.

However interpreting this data at face value is the wrong way to go about this. Just because they like these titles doesn't mean they don't like the mainline series. It might just mean they don't have exposure to it.

At least that's what I'd wager.

Nugg

Are they aware that it's because teens these days were too young or not even born when the mainline Final Fantasy games were actually good?

Mesoian

Is it any real surprise that the positive memories of the Final Fantasy Franchise for kids who were teenagers in 2009 gravitate towards good games, and not towards bad ones?

It has nothing to do with mainline games being less popular than mobile, it's more that those mobile games were significantly better than...well...FF13.

But it's not like people were losing their minds over the mobile crystal chronicles games or anything.

Well its not a bad game so.....

Opinions
It is doe

Village

I believe it to be a combination of this, being on PSP, and just being FF fan service game in general is why it's so popular.

I'm a bit indifferent to it only because when it was first announced as a fighting game I was thinkin more....Fate/unlimited codes and less....Power Stone with RPG stuff. Guess it's my fault for expecting something different. T_T

I have to agree, however I think a console version would not do too badly actually they would just need incentive to play it. I dunno FF crossover game with another RPG series.

They don't like FFXIII because it's a bad game, not because it's not an Action-RPG.

Its not just ff13.

Also there is a more complicated point how kids can indeed like bad games, or rather ones you may consider bad. So it being bad may not be the real excuse here

No surprise with Type-0. It's set in a school/academy so there's that to relate to. Militarised schools seem to always be a cool thing. It helps the gameplay is pretty good, too.

Ninjimbo

Not really surprising considering the popularity of the PSP amongst teenagers. Those were well made games on a popular system. Plus, the whole academy thing with Type-0 should resonate well with teenagers.

Caronte

Its not just ff13.

Also there is a more complicated point how kids can indeed like bad games, or rather ones you may consider bad. So it being bad may not be the real excuse here

My point was, not being an ARPG is not the real excuse. Otherwise they wouldn't like Pokemon and games like Persona would be less popular too.

I think this clearly speaks volume on the damage XIII (or the lack of good mainline games) did to the franchise. Is even more funny that Type-0 isn't even avliable on the west.

I hope for SE that XV is mindblowing or the series might keep going down to the irrelevance hole.

Village

My point was, not being an ARPG is not the real excuse. Otherwise they wouldn't like Pokemon and games like Persona would be less popular too.
I am not saying my theory is absolute, however I will say this.

Pokemon games have theme, and TV show, a card game and other bunches of media going for them. Along with being a very simple RPG with a very easy to follow story, and nowadays online play and other added aliments that help Pokemon do well. Along with it the handheld part.

Also persona.. isnt that popular. Its popular but using that as an example against two of the highest selling Jrpg franchises period is.. rather silly and out of place.

I am never going to say that ARPG's always will do better than more traditional ones, however I am saying the way FF has presented itself as a visually for a long time, may go over well with kids and teens in ARPG formats.

Yeah the pokemon that comes on the tv isn't as clear cut as the games, but on a basic level its still turn based and stays faithful, at least to some degree, to its source material. FF advent children? all I kept thinking is I wanna play that.

Timeaisis

Well, that's completely Square's fault. They took forever to make XIII, it turned out to be crap, and they decided to keep making sequels for it to satiate it's fanbase. Back when I was a teenager VII, VIII, IX, and X all came out in like a 5 year stretch. There's nothing to get excited for in the FF series anymore, so of course their not going to gain any fans re-hashing the same game over and over (except those that actually enjoyed FFXIII, of course).

Caronte

Also persona.. isnt that popular. Its popular but using that as an example against two of the highest selling Jrpg franchises period is.. rather silly and out of place.

I said Persona because it's a turn-based series that's growing a lot in popularity since the original release of Persona 3, not because it sells the same as Pokemon, Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

When you make a good RPG it will sell. It doesn't matter if it's turn-based or action (in Japan, at least).

Also, I think Lightning Returns is going to sell less than XIII-2 even though they are trying to sell it as an Action RPG. The genre is not the problem with this series.

Toth

And people wonder why SE is focusing on the mobile markets. The mobile market is where it is at at Japan and the popularity of these titles on handheld devices is not shocking at all. This has nothing to do with dislike or like of FF12 or 13. Kids want to play their games on the go.

Village

I said Persona because it's a turn-based series that's growing a lot in popularity since the original release of Persona 3, not because it sells the same as Pokemon, Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

When you make a good RPG it will sell. It doesn't matter if it's turn-based or action (in Japan, at least).
Good stuff bomba's in japan too.
Also, I think Lightning Returns is going to sell less than XIII-2 even though they are trying to sell it as an Action RPG. The genre is not the problem with this series.
They sell it as an Action RPG.. but actually... eh.
And while I do think 13 is rather bad, I do think this may have been a notion far before lightning had even been in the picture.

I am going to leave it here, I wanna do a thread on astronomical leaps in visual narrative vs actual game play in the FF series.

Mesoian

More like the first poor one. XII trumps X in every category, at least IMO.

More like the first poor one. XII trumps X in every category, at least IMO.

Haeralis The BRave
(Today, 11:49 AM)
Multi-Quote This Message Quote
image.php

Naw it's cool, FF12 was a good game, it was just dramatically different from traditional RPG's that it scared a lot of people off. I know someone who refused to play past the first hour because his couldn't wrap his mind around the gambit system.

I like FF10 more as well, but I just think it's a shame how FF12's plot was hobbled due to focus testing and demographic pandering. I really want to know what the game could have been if Basche and Ashe were the main protagonists like they were originally penned to be because Square decided they needed a spunky kid to appeal to younger demographics.

Asd202

And people wonder why SE is focusing on the mobile markets. The mobile market is where it is at at Japan and the popularity of these titles on handheld devices is not shocking at all. This has nothing to do with dislike or like of FF12 or 13. Kids want to play their games on the go.

Well if that's how it is they should just put every game on mobile and be done with it.

Top Bottom