• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prima's Top 10 Zelda games

Kuroyume

Banned
Windwaker is only worthwile for the art. Shit dungeons. Shit overworld. Shit soundtrack. At least I've played through the top 3 (and some of MM, LoZ, LA)... Looks like I haven't missed anything worthwile in the Zelda universe post WW.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, they're so close I think I would find it hard to argue against any permutation of those 10 games. I do think WW deserves the second spot, for the record, and I'd probably remove LoZ to make space for one of the Oracle games, and maybe put LA higher, but yeah, sure.

They're all good.

Mike M

Nick N
OOT is so ridiculously overrated. For every innovation it brought to the series, it also introduced a detriment that continues to be included iteration over iteration because of some misplaced sense of tradition. Even at the time of release, I couldn't understand all the breathless hyperbole about it.

I mean, it was good and I enjoyed it, but I feel like it's always at the top of lists because people fear the backlash of not naming it such.

Thores

3. Skyward Sword / LTTP (tie)
2. Wind Waker
1. Link's Awakening

I'm aware that I'm kind of a huge weirdo when it comes to taste in Zelda games though

ctothej

Gahhh, this list is killing me because it's so close to perfect. But MM and LA at 7 and 10? What?

Even though I would personally rank them higher, I'd put MM at least 4 and LA 6. TP and SS should definitely be near the bottom - unlike the upper tier Zeldas, they both have really glaring flaws.

EDIT: Oh, and switch out Minish Cap for one of the Oracles. That game was straight up boring.

I find Wind Waker's spot hilarious considering before Twilight Princess 95% of people would have put that game at the bottom of a Zelda list. People didn't appreciate the graphics or art style as much as they do today, the game was far too easy, the Triforce hunt butchered the ending of the game, etc. It's funny how in ten years time that game has went from shit to second to Ocarina of Time. Goes to show how batshit insane Zelda fans are.

Regardless Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask are far too low on the list. Everyone always complains about the Zelda formula being stale and repetitive, and they always forget that the series went through substantial shake up with those two titles and are the best because of it.

RoySFNR

Windwaker is only worthwile for the art. Shit dungeons. Shit overworld. Shit soundtrack. At least I've played through the top 3 (and some of MM, LoZ, LA)... Looks like I haven't missed anything worthwile in the Zelda universe post WW.

Wait what?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I don't think I can do a top 10 myself. Maybe a top 5:

5. MM
4. WW
3. OOT
2. LTTP
1. TP

I think MM would climb much higher with a remake, dependent on quality.

DaBoss

Wind Waker is way too high. Could be at 9 or 10 I guess, but that's being generous. Good game, but pales in comparison to the rest of the series in terms of dungeons, pacing, and content. The final boss is the absolute best in the series though.

Link's Awakening is way too low. So is Majora's Mask.

Wind Waker is far too high, Majora and Link's Awakening too low. The rest is okay. OoT and MM are the best Zelda games by far so if either is top, I'm kay.

Megatron

I personally would drop Minish Cap and replace it with the Adventure of Link. I haven't played TP or SS enough to really comment on those. I don't think it's a bad list overall.

TentPole

I really don't want to agree with Boner Donald. But I do.

FargoDog

Banned
I am completely okay with this list.

Majora's Mask should probably be higher, but it's always been the black sheep. People either love it, or find themselves distanced by it. Ocarina is certainly the best, in both legacy and overall design, and Wind Waker's astonishing personality and craftsmanship overcome the pacing issues. I've yet to play Twilight Princess, but I've just finished Skyward Sword's Ancient Cistern and I'm absolutely loving it after a shaky start. Been told it only gets better, too.

I think the fact that people have so many. opinions on which games are better and more meaningful shows that there is enough variety and diverse ideas between games so that people find themselves more attracted to one over the other. If Zelda was all the same, as many critics claim it to be, then we wouldn't have people heralding Wind Waker as both the best and the worst Zelda. We wouldn't have debates over the successes of Majora's Mask. The games are different, and thus they mean different things to different people.

Are we doing our own lists yet?

1. Link's Awakening
2. Four Swords (Gamecube)
3. Oracle of Seasons
4. OOT
5. LTTP
6. Minish Cap

I haven't really beaten that many zelda games

DMiz

10) Link's Awakening
9) Minish Cap
8) Legend of Zelda
7) Majora's Mask
6) Skyward Sword
5) Twilight Princess
4) Link Between Worlds
3) Link to the Past
2) Wind Waker
1) OOT

10) Link's Awakening
9) Minish Cap
8) Legend of Zelda
7) Majora's Mask
6) Skyward Sword
5) Twilight Princess

10) Link's Awakening
6) Skyward Sword
5) Twilight Princess

Travesty.

I kid, I kid - partially. LA still sits within my constantly rotating top 3.

Top Bottom