• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Brazil, a total of 0 PS4s have so far been sold

With the PlayStation 4 finally launched worldwide at this point, there’s one nation where the price to nab on could cost you an arm and a leg. I’m talking about Brazil. The PS4 was officially released there this Friday, and at a whopping $1,850, the most expensive anywhere in the world, it’s not too surprising that not many units had been sold. Sony has commented that the extremely high rate of taxes and import fees affects the price of the item in the country.

What’s nuts is that up until the time of publishing of this report via G1 news network in Brazil, no PS4 units had been sold. No sales occurred at midnight, and G1 reporters were at various retail outlets and saw no lines, no visible posters or banners even advertising the product and its launch games. Apparently, any potential customer had to seek a sales clerk in store to even know of the existence of the device and its location in store, as many were hidden behind boxes and other obstacles.

http://pixelenemy.com/in-brazil-a-total-of-0-ps4s-have-so-far-been-sold/

Update: As some commenters have noted, it appears there are indeed PlayStation 4 units being sold through unofficial channels via the grey market.

Brohan

Waste of units indeed, ps4 is sold out here in the EU and many many people are still empty handed and eager to buy one.

I don't think that 0 PS4s have been sold. I'm sure there are some people who are rich enough to buy them. I'm sure there are people in other countries who will pay that price to buy one in ebay. It's just that you don't see people buying them in a store. Sure they sold a couple of hundreds. But still that price is crazy. Hope there aren't that many PS4s waiting in stores while people in other countries are wainting for a PS4

Man, the price there is just fucking brutal. Sony really needs to do something about those prices if they want to have any kind of market penetration at all.

Price in Colombia is U$672, it's insane. Even taking into account import taxes and VAT, it would only go as high as U$504. It's fucking crazy.

entremet

Why did they launch there? Seems wiser to allocate units to higher demand territories until they can get the price down.

Alvarez

Banned
At that price point, you could literally build 4 PCs--each more powerful than the PS4--and a high-end monitor as well for the same price.

ethomaz

Banned
I think nobody will buy official.

But I found a store near Osaco Station selling PS4 at R$2700... and when I was talking with the guy the last console got sold.

I will mine tomorrow at Sta. Efigênia... I expect to pay less than $R2200 with cash... I found some places with $1950 but no additional controller or game.

The original source (G1) says some consoles are being sold in online store.

DD

In portuguese It doesn't say that no unit were sold. It just says that there were no midnight sale/launch event.

And yes, the price is brutal.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Good. I was expecting there would be a few dumb people with money who would actually buy locally at this price, but good to know it wasn't the case this time (so far).

Sony knows damn well that their market will be dominated by grey imports. Any local official units sold is luck, and from the filthy rich who barely blinks at that price.

Why did they launch there? Seems wiser to allocate units to higher demand territories until they can get the price down.

So that they can legally, and officially provide customer service support + network services ( PSN, etc ) for PS4.

Sony ( and MS ) knows that a large majority of the consoles in these kind of markets will be 90% dominated by grey imports that are significantly cheaper.

However, these companies still make an official launch so that they can officiate launch of their network and customer support services there.

kmg90

Is it to be believed that the reason for the price is Brazil's import taxes and fees? Not Sony's decision?

Top Bottom