• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Brazil, a total of 0 PS4s have so far been sold

Guerilla

While I don't expect many sales there due to the ridiculous price why is this trash being posted as if it's a fact? They're making retarded assumptions based on anecdotal evidence.

That's gonna be a waste of stock. A waste of stock that could be sold cheaper elsewhere. And moving them to another country would probably raise the price regardless. I wouldn't know, I'm not a taxing man. I'm an engineering man.

Harlock

When Sony started to sell PS3 in Brazil they bring the games first, before the hardware, because knew that a lot of PS3 already had been sell in the gray market. And import the PS3 would be expense like the PS4 now.

But they cant do the same thing at a hardware launch. What Sony could do is what Microsoft did before start to produce the 360 in Brazil, having a subsidiary shipping hardware to Brazil at lower price than the retail price. I dont think that Sony (and particularly Sony Brazil) has that good will.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
In chile the PS4 is RS1500.

airplane_sunset.jpg

The columbian Peso has been dropping all year against the dollar and that trend seems like it will continue. It's going to be cheaper importing because you only have to juggle the exchange risk once, they have to do it for the life of the console and you can't raise prices due to the foreign currency losing value. I'm not saying prices like in Brazil are justified but it shouldn't be a surprise at all that places like columbia will likely have higher domestic prices than if they imported.

Oh, yeah, absolutely. With the exception of the PS3, I've imported every console I've ever owned. I believe I'll do the same for PS4, as soon as I feel confident that I'm not getting a BPOD or some other hardware failure.

Athreous

I'm from Brazil, and I imported my PS4 Killzone Bundle from Amazon... It cost me around 1047$ with all the shipping and import fees =]

Much better than the current 1800$ here...

Btw, I know a least 3 guys from my school who got their ps4s here, so that information of Zero ps4s sold here is kind a lie =p

Is it to be believed that the reason for the price is Brazil's import taxes and fees? Not Sony's decision?

huh?

why would that be Sony's decision? lmao.

Sony Conference : " We all hate Brazil right? "

Everyone : " RIGHT! "

Kaz : " cool lets put the PS4 up for nearly 2,000$ "

Everyone : " YES! "

Everyone : " Down with sales! Down with sales! Down with sales! "

Kaz : " now lets go out there and get our 0 sales! RRIDDGEEE RACCCEEERRRR "

Galdius

I live in Brazil and I have already imported 2 PS4's. The first one I had preorderd on Amazon and the second one I bought on ebay last friday. The one that I bought on ebay has a interesting story.

There was this seller who was selling PS4's only for brazilian customers for US$399. It would be shipped through DHL and the shipping was free. The seller sold 108 consoles in 40 minutes and then he was sold out. A lot of people who had bought from this seller was afraid of not receiving the console because they (and I'm included) though it was a scam but since we payed with Paypal, we weren't sooo afraid.

Today almost all PS4's were delivered by DHL and the consoles all seem to work. The curious part was that one person decided to email the seller to know why they were selling the console for $399 and with free shipping. The reply was that Sony Brazil had contacted them to offer those consoles because they wanted to bring some consoles to the brazilian customers for a better price. It was interesting that this offer appeared on the same day that the Xbox One launched here.

Hexa

I live in Brazil and I have already imported 2 PS4's. The first one I had preorderd on Amazon and the second one I bought on ebay last friday. The one that I bought on ebay has a interesting story.

There was this seller who was selling PS4's only for brazilian customers for US$399. It would be shipped through DHL and the shipping was free. The seller sold 108 consoles in 40 minutes and then he was sold out. A lot of people who had bought from this seller was afraid of not receiving the console because they (and I'm included) though it was a scam but since we payed with Paypal, we weren't sooo afraid.

Today almost all PS4's were delivered by DHL and the consoles all seem to work. The curious part was that one person decided to email the seller to know why they were selling the console for $399 and with free shipping. The reply was that Sony Brazil had contacted them to offer those consoles because they wanted to bring some consoles to the brazilian customers for a better price. It was interesting that this offer appeared on the same day that the Xbox One launched here.

That's actually pretty great of them to do that, but I feel that if they get caught it won't be pretty.

Given that Sony themselves have said the price is way to high and they will work to drop it ASAP I am not shocked.

You would have to be one hardcore mother fucker to buy one of those systems in Brazil.

satam55

Banned
Can someone explain why Sony isn't currently manufacturing PS4s in Brazil? They made a big deal about manufacturing PlayStations in Brazil at the Sony Brazil event back in May, so it's weird that their not currently manufacturing PS4s now.

Ishan

Can someone explain why Sony isn't currently manufacturing PS4s in Brazil? They made a big deal about manufacturing PlayStations in Brazil at the Sony Brazil event back in May, so it's weird that their not currently manufacturing PS4s now.

They said they were going to start doing it and trying to set up asap. Im sure setting up something which can manufacture ps4s isnt that easy. And honestly with the US Europe launches I'm sure the asian and south american market concerns were on the backburned intitally. I'm sure theyll figure it out in a while. It just launched ppl.

The first part of releasing a product us releasing a product. Both consoles are released at a very incomplete state. Both are making millions. All they care about is getting it to the masses in the first place.

People are buying them via online and other places, and I'm sure Sony knows that. A sale is a sale and that's all they care about.

Once the production issues (if any) are resolved, that's when the globalization comes in. As of now its made it China or Japan. Soon they'll be build or packaged elsewhere when they find the right place to repackage it.

Its a very shitty scenario, but there are ways to purchase it for those that really want to do so.

That's strange. You'd think there are enough rich people in Brasil.

The PS4 is about 200 bucks more here in Mexico, I'd prefer to buy it to a random dude that resells them over here for less than support the crazy prices. Seeing it being 1800 bucks in Brazil means everyone would just buy it for at least half the price on their country by other means.

Tmac

There's a lot of brazilians with a ps4 right now but most bought it by alternative methods like direct import that even with around 100% impost tax fee still goes for half of what sony is asking domestically.

For Sony the best thing to do was not release the ps4 here at all.

They have a huge fan base that whould buy the console anyway. With the official release the big outlets (like wallmart) can't sell the cheaper independent import (half of sony asking price), because they are forced to sell the official one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
why is the price so high ?

educate me gaf

High tariffs and a poor infrastructure that brings the price up even higher. Brazil is flush with money from harvesting natural resources (and the boom in resource commodity trading these past few years), but they've been choosing to invest it in a welfare state before strengthening their basic infrastructure. The book "Breakout Nations" by Ruchir Sharma talks all about Brazil, and why a hotel room in Rio would cost about twice as much as a similar one in Manhattan... very interesting.

allansm

High tariffs and a poor infrastructure that brings the price up even higher. Brazil is flush with money from harvesting natural resources (and the boom in resource commodity trading these past few years), but they've been choosing to invest it in a welfare state before strengthening their basic infrastructure. The book "Breakout Nations" by Ruchir Sharma talks all about Brazil, and why a hotel room in Rio would cost about twice as much as a similar one in Manhattan... very interesting.

The idea is that investing in welfare growths the internal market, so the economy is not so heavily affected by international crisis. In fact, this was the biggest reason Brazil haven't suffered that much due to the financial crisis.

About infrastructure, in the last few years the government has shown the intention of increasing investments in infrastructure at least, but I haven't seen any numbers to show if it was just intention or they are in fact increasing investments. However, it's not easy to get something going anyway. The bureaucracy is huge. The Brazilian state always had problems with bureacracy, but the fear of corruption made everything even worse: stupid mechanisms were created to stop corruption and they do more damege than help. Thanks to these mechanisms, just a suspicion of corruption is enough to stop any construction work for months, the money lost due to this break usually being far more than what would be lost if any corruption was happening.

Massa

Update: Sold at R$4k, PS4 is well received

- no official numbers released by Sony Brasil;

- they talked to people at Sony Stores, Fnac and Magazine Luiza, and they all said they were close to sold out;
- UZ Games (biggest games retailer) didn't get the console at all for sale.

Seems like Sony shipped a very small number of PS4's just so they could say they released the thing. They didn't have a launch event to promote the system, and games are not available at retail yet (only PSN), despite having been localized.

Very pathetic release all in all. It's a shame they couldn't get their shit together, this thing for R$1999 would be selling like hotcakes.

The stores that supply the grey market are selling the PS4 for $850, which translates to a $1100 price locally. When supply issues in the US are resolved the price should drop to $600 or $700 for consumers.

Update: Sold at R$4k, PS4 is well received

- no official numbers released by Sony Brasil;

- they talked to people at Sony Stores, Fnac and Magazine Luiza, and they all said they were close to sold out;
- UZ Games (biggest games retailer) didn't get the console at all for sale.

Seems like Sony shipped a very small number of PS4's just so they could say they released the thing. They didn't have a launch event to promote the system, and games are not available at retail yet (only PSN), despite having been localized.

Very pathetic release all in all. It's a shame they couldn't get their shit together, this thing for R$1999 would be selling like hotcakes.

The stores that supply the grey market are selling the PS4 for $850, which translates to a $1100 price locally. When supply issues in the US are resolved the price should drop to $600 or $700 for consumers.

What a weird launch. I guess they had their arms tied behind their backs but wow.

Zen

Banned
They probably aren't going to really launch the PS4 until they've got production rolling locally, which is their aim. It will take time though.

Well there has to be some logical reason for the high price. They want to sell units.

And they've already said that they've started looking to produce PS4 locally to reduce the cost.

AniHawk

i think more than anything, the world over will remember this as the end of sony's dominance in the eighth generation.

Top Bottom