• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Brazil, a total of 0 PS4s have so far been sold

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
People from brazil save money by flying to America and buying their electronics and flying back with it than buying them in brazil. Happens with computers all the time

slapnuts

People from brazil save money by flying to America and buying their electronics and flying back with it than buying them in brazil. Happens with computers all the time

I was just thinking about this...but don't customs at the airport make you fill out a form asking if you bought any merch when coming back to your country? They usually give a fine if you do not "claim" anything to pay the taxes for your purchases.

I live in Brazil and I have already imported 2 PS4's. The first one I had preorderd on Amazon and the second one I bought on ebay last friday. The one that I bought on ebay has a interesting story.

There was this seller who was selling PS4's only for brazilian customers for US$399. It would be shipped through DHL and the shipping was free. The seller sold 108 consoles in 40 minutes and then he was sold out. A lot of people who had bought from this seller was afraid of not receiving the console because they (and I'm included) though it was a scam but since we payed with Paypal, we weren't sooo afraid.

Today almost all PS4's were delivered by DHL and the consoles all seem to work. The curious part was that one person decided to email the seller to know why they were selling the console for $399 and with free shipping. The reply was that Sony Brazil had contacted them to offer those consoles because they wanted to bring some consoles to the brazilian customers for a better price. It was interesting that this offer appeared on the same day that the Xbox One launched here.

That's a great story if true.. shows that Sony does care. I really hope they can get that official price down sooner rather than later.

Well considering the price of them in Brazil I'm not shocked. Sony should start manufacturing them there to help bring down the cost and increase sales.

i'm kinda surprised there wasn't one overly wealthy person that went for it. but hey, good for them, no one should have to pay that much for a game console. those taxes are ridiculous.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I was just thinking about this...but don't customs at the airport make you fill out a form asking if you bought any merch when coming back to your country? They usually give a fine if you do not "claim" anything to pay the taxes for your purchases.

hell if i know the exact details, but i think even then if they get a fine or if they claim what they are bringing back it still costs less

Yes, you have to provide proof of purchase for everything you have on you when you leave the country, so they know it's yours when you get back.

When you enter Brazil, you can bring anything personal (clothing, 1 cellphone, 1 camera, shoes) for free, plus $500 of anything else. You pay half the value of what exceeds that. So, if you bring a PS4 and 4 games, that's 640 dollars, so you'll pay 70 dollars in tax (total 640, minus 500 = 140, half of that is the final 70).

But that's if you go trough the tax route. At the customs, you have the option to get the declaring line, or the nothing-to-declare line. The former is what I said above, and the latter is a gamble. If you look suspect, are nervous or unlucky, they'll ask you to show your stuff. Then, instead of 50% of what exceeds $500, you have to pay 100%. If they don't pick you, you're tax free.

What people usually do is they go to the US with nothing but their clothes, money, ID and their cellphone's SIM Card. When they get there, they just buy everything they need, as it will be less than half the price of stuff here and tax free. That's my plan anyway.

People outside Brazil still believe in this tax bullshit from Sony? smh

The Wii U costs US$ 300 and is sold here for R$ 1900. Imported.
The PS4 costs US$ 400 and is sold here for R$ 4000. Imported.

And while this happens, Sony is trying to push PS3 here as long term as they can.

Sendou

People outside Brazil still believe in this tax bullshit from Sony? smh

The Wii U costs US$ 300 and is sold here for R$ 1900. Imported.
The PS4 costs US$ 400 and is sold here for R$ 4000. Imported.

And while this happens, Sony is trying to push PS3 here as long term as they can.

Interesting

Ennoia

Banned
Ha, the first wave of PS4 arrived in Beijing was priced at more than ¥8000 (>$1300), after several weeks the price was stabilized at ¥5000(>$820) across the country, at least hundreds of units were sold here so far.

Top Bottom