• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"No Girls Allowed": Why the Stereotype of Games for Boys Exists [Polygon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Tracey Lien has just put out a fascinating article on the reason why games are primarily thought of - both by gamers and more generally - as being a primarily masculine activity. It's a very interesting read, asking a question that I hadn't even thought to ask before.

It also has some gorgeous illustrations if you're into that, too.

Long before a video game hits retailers, the marketing machine is already well in motion. Before games like Call of Duty, Madden or Grand Theft Auto are even made, marketers are working with game developers to determine the game's content, how they'll represent it, who they're making it for and how they'll reach that audience. Most of the time, they know exactly which market they want to capture before they even start considering game ideas. Many of the decisions about what gets green-lit and what doesn't are based on hard data and analytics. Marketers know who plays which games, how big the audience is and what they're hungry for. Like the pink aisle, there is little to no prodding in the dark.

Most marketers will explain that trying to target a general audience in one campaign is a bad idea. It dilutes the marketing message. People want things that have been designed just for them. A product is more than just a product; it carries meaning and often a promise — a promise that we'll look better, feel better, have more fun and improve our lives in some way.

President of the marketing firm A Squared Group Amy Cotteleer says that marketing is so powerful that it can shape our values and beliefs, and we're often not even aware that it's happening. Coca-Cola's marketing campaigns in the 1920s are the reason why the modern-day image of Santa Claus is a jovial, plump man in a Coca-Cola Red suit. Prior to Coca-Cola, there was no consistent image of Santa. He was often represented as a skinny man who sometimes wore green and sometimes wore brown. So if Coca-Cola could sell us the modern-day Santa, the game industry would not have had much trouble selling the idea that video games are for males.

"Marketing is insights-based," Cotteleer says. "People land on something, something resonates, it appeals to a certain gender or category of the population and it makes sense from a marketing perspective to go after it."

In a magazine advertisement for the Atari game PhotoMillipede (1982), a young girl stands in front of the arcade machine with her hands on the buttons, her face visibly excited by the action on the screen. An older woman, presumably her mother, stands beside her, hand on her shoulder, equally excited, a little bit awkward.

In another ad for Atari's home computers demonstration center, a woman with red hair and brightly flushed cheeks stands in front of the center with a controller in her hands while a man stands behind her. Cheesy grins on faces, both appear to be enjoying a game of Pac-Man. There's a company making Christian video games for Atari 2600 — it also has a magazine ad. "Bible Video Game BRINGS FUN HOME," it declares, as a little blond boy and girl sit in front of the television guiding a pixelated Moses across the Red Sea.

In the 1990s, the messaging of video game advertisements takes a different turn. Television commercials for the Game Boy feature only young boys and teenagers. The ad for the Game Boy Color has a boy zapping what appears to be a knight with a finger laser. Atari filmed a bizarre series of infomercials that shows a man how much his life will improve if he upgrades to the Jaguar console. With each "improvement," he has more and more attractive women fawning over him. There is nothing in any of the ads that indicate that the consoles and games are for anyone other than young men.

There are also iconic video game box covers that started to emerge, like the cover of the game PhotoBarbarian, which featured a scantily clad, buxom woman at the feet of a barely clothed man. She's not a playable character in the game, of course. Her pixelated curves can be seen watching the game's action from the grandstand in the background. The ad for Battlecruiser showed an attractive blond woman wearing only a bra, one finger coyly in her mouth, with a copy of the game placed in front of her crotch. "She really wants it," the caption reads. The game is about fighting alien aircraft in space.

By the late 1990s and early 2000s, video games appeared to be growing up alongside the young players who had latched onto the medium at the time of the Game Boy. Games and consoles were getting more sophisticated. Titles like Wipeout, Tomb Raider and Gran Turismo showed the world what video games could offer. For the most part, it showed what video games could offer men. There's a well-known commercial from 1998 for the original PlayStation where a grown man sits in a movie theater with his girlfriend. She's nagging him in an almost cartoonish way. Crash Bandicoot, from the PS1 game of the same name, is soon patrolling the theater, shining a flashlight on the man and telling him, "You are so totally whipped." A busty Lara Croft appears next to him, and he's given the choice of going home with his girlfriend, who is still nagging, or taking Lara Croft. He chooses the latter. The commercial ends with the tagline: "Live in your world. Play in ours."

"The Nintendo Entertainment System was targeted toward boys under 10. If you look at the Super NES five years later, it starts targeting boys ages 10-15," says Jesse Divnich, vice president of insights and analysis for Electronic Entertainment Design and Research (EEDAR). "So we're seeing this natural progression of the idea of once you're a gamer, you're always a gamer."

But Romero points out that if we go back to fall 1993, two significant things happened in gaming. One is the release of Doom, which heralded the start of the male-dominated first-person shooter genre. The other, in the same year, is the launch of Myst, which had an overwhelmingly female player base. "Myst dominated the charts, and we don't say games are dominated by women," Romero says. "So I've never felt that way. The Sims has more female players than it has male players, but I don't use those statistics to paint all of games."

In fact, the 1990s is filled with exceptions. There's Tetris on the Game Boy, which was popular with both men and women. Tim Schafer's LucasArts adventure games perform well across the board, demographically. Sim City was more popular with women than it was with men. By the end of the 1990s, we already had Bejeweled.

"Maybe our perception of the problem is the problem, rather than there actually being a problem," says Ian Bogost. "We're not looking at diversity in the marketplace. We're looking at where there isn't diversity and we're saying those games are the most valid games."

Bogost points to games like FarmVille, Candy Crush Saga and Words With Friends — hugely successful games that have enormous male and female player bases — but they're rarely acknowledged as being the same thing as what is traditionally thought of as a video game. "Those games somehow get the technology industry stories about the rise of these big companies, whereas something like Call of Duty is talked about as an example of gaming, and probably a negative example."

Part of the problem, he explains, is when people think about video games, they think Doom, Mortal Kombat and Call of Duty. Meanwhile, FarmVille and Angry Birds are considered something else entirely and associated with a different domain. This can be attributed to a different kind of marketing.

"It's worth pointing out that public sentiment and public discourse around video games is also a kind of marketing," Bogost says. "It's just not marketing that you pay for. So when Sandy Hook or Columbine happened, those events act as a kind of negative marketing for games in general."

More at the link. I urge you to read the article fully before commenting. Thanks to Jared Rae for spreading the word.

I'll read this for sure after work.

But I'll just say, if you're writing about these types of topics, just go to graduate school. Seriously, get into academic and use their resources so you can really go all out with this topic.

Also, that's a huge topic. I think narrowing it down a bit might be helpful, but we'll see, I haven't read it yet. I'm looking forward to it, and I'll surely return back to this thread.

Sophia

I really hated the excessive "boy" focus of ads in the late 90s. I can't imagine I was the only one who felt excluded, despite regularly playing games like SimCity.

By the late 1990s and early 2000s, video games appeared to be growing up alongside the young players who had latched onto the medium at the time of the Game Boy. Games and consoles were getting more sophisticated. Titles like Wipeout, Tomb Raider and Gran Turismo showed the world what video games could offer. For the most part, it showed what video games could offer men. There's a well-known commercial from 1998 for the original PlayStation where a grown man sits in a movie theater with his girlfriend. She's nagging him in an almost cartoonish way. Crash Bandicoot, from the PS1 game of the same name, is soon patrolling the theater, shining a flashlight on the man and telling him, "You are so totally whipped." A busty Lara Croft appears next to him, and he's given the choice of going home with his girlfriend, who is still nagging, or taking Lara Croft. He chooses the latter. The commercial ends with the tagline: "Live in your world. Play in ours."

That ad doesn't sound right. It has the PS2-era slogan for a PS1 game?

Kazerei

Banned
I noticed too, when I was a kid, that NES commercials always seemed to feature boys playing. Even though in my personal experience, both boys and girls played about equally. Hell, adults played too. And then there was the GameBoy, which says it all in its name.

Sophia

Found it, it's accurate.

Wow, that's surprising. And rather disgusting. Ugh. :\

I noticed too, when I was a kid, that NES commercials always seemed to feature boys playing. Even though in my personal experience, both boys and girls played about equally. Hell, adults played too. And then there was the GameBoy, which says it all in its name.

Game playing with the extended family was about even in my household too. Mind you, there were about three girls to every boy. But we still played all the same games growing up.

Jintor

I was a little surprised at the fact that Nintendo was largely to blame when they revived the games industry, but thinking about it, it was probably a natural consequence of uniting video gaming with the marketing-driven Toy industry.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
There must be/have been something about making video games a 'boys' thing that appealed to 'us'. I feel like it might have found a foundation on the already polarized view of boy/girl activities - girls with dolls, boys with cars etc.

So with mostly boys being in engineering/software (because men were encouraged to pursue this path and women were not, at least not until recently) - they made more games that appealed to the male ideal (again, maybe we can take this back to some sort of societal enforcement), which then appealed to young boys, who were already being marketed to for liking 'boy' things, like racing cars and shooting guns.

I don't think it was particularly insidious, or entirely without biological incentive, but I do think it was probably a whole host of these sorts of factors coming together, pushing us in this direction.

rpmurphy

I'll read this in full later, but holy cow, that page's design is extremely obnoxious. I'll probably have to copy the text to notepad.

pizza dog

Banned
Just flipped through it to see how long it was, love the illustrations.

ElVmdYY.png

Zoc

I think the real story is why "girl games" used to be masterpieces like Myst or Grim Fandango, and are now candy-colored freemium bullshit.

I for one greatly enjoy lots of books and movies marketed to women (I'm a man), and would be happy if there were an equivalent in games.

I think the real story is why "girl games" used to be masterpieces like Myst or Grim Fandango, and are now candy-colored freemium bullshit.

I for one greatly enjoy lots of books and movies marketed to women (I'm a man), and would be happy if there were an equivalent in games.

I suppose the problem is that the developers of Myst or Grim Fandango didn't set out to make a "game for girls", women just were naturally attracted to the games, whereas Candy Crush Saga was pretty much designed and marketed squarely towards middle aged women. I suppose part of the problem of how much marketing dictates the direction of the game, not just in the marketing.

Duster

That was a great article but I think he may have missed the more interesting point by focusing on the gender, I think the way the marketing men have fragmented things into ever smaller niches and the effects that have had on the games themselves and the wider industry is the bigger issue, gender is just the first and largest of those niches.

Compare these parts of the article:

Then
"We never really discussed who our target demographic was," she says. "We didn't discuss gender or age. We just did games we thought would be fun."
Now
Before games are even made, marketers are working with game developers to determine the game's content, how they'll represent it, who they're making it for and how they'll reach that audience.

That's a big shift in philosophy which effects the final game, now there's long-term monetisation strategies on top of that issue as well.

The bit about "public sentiment and public discourse around video games is also a kind of marketing" and the way casual iOS games and console FPSs are classified differently plays into that as we let them divide us.
It goes deeper than that divide to the point people that people grew up playing happily playing any type of game have now given up on entire genres, teenagers avoid Nintendo's "kiddy" games (or even kids do as they want what the teenagers are playing), sports games get lumped in with the casual titles, FPSs are for dudebros, RPGs are stuck in the 90s etc.

As a result many turn a blind eye to practices they don't like when it doesn't effect them directly but sooner or later it starts hitting the games or platforms they do enjoy.

I know this is nothing new and we've been discussing it in different ways for years but I think we're all too willing to go along divide ourselves into ever smaller groups and it harms us all in some way even if we don't realise it.

Steel

Banned
Myst was an epic game at the time. Wish games at least took a look at the narrative and puzzle aspect of it. It just seems nowadays games are trending toward mindlessness. Perhaps it has something to do with the male focus of the industry? Sad, if true.

ArjanN

Part of the problem, he explains, is when people think about video games, they think Doom, Mortal Kombat and Call of Duty. Meanwhile, FarmVille and Angry Birds are considered something else entirely and associated with a different domain. This can be attributed to a different kind of marketing.

Is it due to marketing? Or is that those just are two very different things. I'd say the latter.

Is it due to marketing? Or is that those just are two very different things. I'd say the latter.

they're all videogames.

i feel like this article should be expanded into a book. you could dedicate entire chapters to things like the influence of gender roles, the imbalance in education between the sexes (in the past), regressive stereotypes in the workplace, etc etc. it's all really compelling and completely valid reasoning for the male-domination of the gaming industry, it just feels like nobody is going to take the time to really document and research it.

Cipherr

Those ads.....

Jesus fucking Christ looking back on them now with open eyes as an adult. Awful awful shit. How does clearly angling a product AWAY from 50% of the freaking world even make sense from a marketing perspective?

Not all video games are created equal.

yes but all of those titles in the quote are videogames. they're "very different things" in that one game might feature cartoon birds you fling at pigs and the other is about gunning down brown people with military grade weapons. both games should be considered equally as appealing and appropriate for either sex, however due to marketing, they are not.

tokkun

The main points of the article:

- Originally, publishers didn't know the composition of their audience, so they marketed games to a general audience.
- The advent of market research showed that the majority of the market was male.
- Advertisers decided to target the male majority audience, almost exclusively.
- This created the perception that the audience was exclusively male.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really give much insight on why the audience was majority male to begin with, aside from some well-worn arguments about men being more interested in new technology - basically explaining one gender-specific stereotype with another.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Those ads.....

Jesus fucking Christ looking back on them now with open eyes as an adult. Awful awful shit. How does clearly angling a product AWAY from 50% of the freaking world even make sense from a marketing perspective?

Read the article it makes it abundantly clear why.

Steel

Banned

- Originally, publishers didn't know the composition of their audience, so they marketed games to a general audience.
- The advent of market research showed that the majority of the market was male.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really give much insight on why the audience was majority male to begin with, aside from some well-worn arguments about men being more interested in new technology - basically explaining one gender-specific stereotype with another.

The problem is, there were plenty of games that were majority female(Like the Myst example, great game for anyone tbh) before advertisers decided to target majority male audiences. It also helped that they targeted males only with their marketing and negatively targeted the female audience with some ads in such a way as to say that women aren't even in the picture.

Margalis

Banned
Speaking as someone who has had to fill out "what is your target demo" forms it really sucks.

You feel compelled to say "males age 16-25" or something like that, since the conventional wisdom is that that's who buys games. I always want to say "people who like games" or "people who like games in this style" but that's never an option. And once you decide that your target demo is males 16-25 everything is viewed through that lens - why are we making half the playable characters female when we said the target demo was male? Shouldn't we add more blood and some curb-stomping?

If you're making a Civ-style game you can't say "our target demo is gamers who would like a Civ game except set in outer space", you have to say "middle-aged men", even though for many games genre and game comparisons are more relevant than age / sex.

As a developer I know what people who like Civ like. I don't really know what 18-year-old males like, or believe that they like the same things.

Interesting read. I agree that it didn't explain that much (or it's because I've done research on this and it didn't seem that new) but it had some good insights. I liked the bookstore sections comparison and how video games could be seen as books.

Jintor

I know this is nothing new and we've been discussing it in different ways for years but I think we're all too willing to go along divide ourselves into ever smaller groups and it harms us all in some way even if we don't realise it.

Yes, I think this is a great point.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I think that's because that subject is an article unto itself, actually likely more thesis material, as you'd have go much further than the 80 or so years (really it's 40) than the article goes into detail about. It's a far more complicated matter than what this article was designed discuss.

Quite enjoyed the article, illustrations included. A topic well worth covering, and definitely interesting to read when talked about by the right people.

Pretty obvious article, but I suppose every site that takes games "seriously" needs one. Games are predominantly designed and made by males.

Edit: Polygon with the wanky illustrations again. When the pictures have nothing to do with the content, it says a lot about the quality of your content.

wsippel

Banned
The article has some valid points, but it's really hit and miss overall. Might be based on experience - my little sister was a bigger gamer than me at some point, and while she was more into Chrono Trigger and Harvest Moon, she was also pretty damn good at Doom and such. Though granted, back then, marketing wasn't a big deal. But there really might be gender specific tastes to some degree. And no, my sister was never into pink and dresses and shit.

I think it's also kinda funny that Nintendo, the company supposedly responsible for the gender segregation according to the article, is the company that made Style Savvy, with the intent to make a good "girl game" - because other games targeted mainly at girls are shit. I'm not even making this up, the development team said so in an Iwata Asks. The game was produced and designed by the same woman who produced Sin & Punishment 2 and Fire Emblem: Awakening and co-wrote Xenoblade, and Nintendo got fashion designers, makeup artists and a company doing fashion shows on board to get it right. No half assed bullshit. And if you're male and can get over the theme and the fact that you have to play a female characters in a world where every male character looks like a model (that door swings both ways after all - women apparently like cute boys about as much as men like cute girls, not that this is in any way surprising), you should play it - it's actually really good.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
"Maybe our perception of the problem is the problem, rather than there actually being a problem," says Ian Bogost. "We're not looking at diversity in the marketplace. We're looking at where there isn't diversity and we're saying those games are the most valid games."

go to any gender related game thread and you'll see this happen. Someone says "of course this happened, because women don't play games." then someone suggests that there are a lot of female gamers, by using things like numbers, and the FIRST THING that comes out is "but those aren't REAL games."

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The article has some valid points, but it's really hit and miss overall. Might be based on experience - my little sister was a bigger gamer than me at some point, and while she was more into Chrono Trigger and Harvest Moon, she was also pretty damn good at Doom and such. Though granted, back then, marketing wasn't a big deal. But there really might be gender specific tastes to some degree. And no, my sister was never into pink and dresses and shit.

I think it's also kinda funny that Nintendo, the company supposedly responsible for the gender segregation according to the article, is the company that made Style Savvy, with the intent to make a good "girl game" - because other games targeted mainly at girls are shit. I'm not even making this up, the development team said so in an Iwata Asks. The game was produced and designed by the same woman who produced Sin & Punishment 2 and Fire Emblem: Awakening and co-wrote Xenoblade, and Nintendo got fashion designers, makeup artists and a company doing fashion shows on board to get it right. No half assed bullshit. And if you're male and can get over the theme and the fact that you have to play a female characters in a world where every male character looks like a model (that door swings both ways after all - women apparently like cute boys about as much as men like cute girls, not that this is in any way surprising), you should play it - it's actually really good.

The article does state this about Nintendo. Nintendo used the gender specific marketing to stabilise the industry. Once it had reached a saturation there's was no need to market specifically at one gender anymore, as it was simply limiting your potential consumer base, so they switched gears and went for a more gender neutral approach with also gams targeted at girls.. Hence the wii marketing etc.

Gender neutral marketing is mostly what Nintendo uses now.

mnemovore

The only issue I have with the article besides the Santa Claus thing is that its answer to the titular question seems to be "history" rather than "sexism". There's no real attempt to see the connection between the video game industry and society. It's like the video game industry exists in a bubble.

Edit: I would even dare to say that this article is in denial of systemic sexism.

How so post your evidence.

Anyway very well written and researched article very insightful.

This picture is from 1898, before the Coca Cola company even bottled its own drink.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santa/cocacola.asp

It is technically false, but while Coca Cola didn't invent it they certainly popularised and cemented it.

"Prior to Coca-Cola, there was no consistent image of Santa. He was often represented as a skinny man who sometimes wore green and sometimes wore brown." These are completely false statements.

Htown

how about we stop nitpicking the Santa Claus bullshit and get into the actual meat of the article, hmm?

how about we stop nitpicking the Santa Claus bullshit and get into the actual meat of the article, hmm?

Santa Claus is used as an example of marketing changing public consciousness. Since it is false, it perhaps calls into question the premise of the article as it relates to sex-based marketing for video games.

Htown

Santa Claus is used as an example of marketing changing public consciousness. Since it is false, it perhaps calls into question the premise of the article as it relates to sex-based marketing for video games.

No it doesn't.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I seriously doubt J. R. R. Tolkien was influenced by Coca-Cola marketing when he started writing and illustrating the Father Christmas letters in 1920.

It's not about who designed father Christmas or where it originated. It's not a coincidence Coca's advertising over the years which heavily featured red, decided to popularise to a far greater degree a common red and white Santa image.

You could argue that if the most popular Santa was green Coca-Cola wouldn't have popularised it or changed their branding to green. Or they could have popularized a green Santa.

But they played a large part in popularising and cementing it. Had they not other images of Santa may have been more prevalent today than they currently are.

The only issue I have with the article besides the Santa Claus thing is that its answer to the titular question seems to be "history" rather than "sexism". There's no real attempt to see the connection between the video game industry and society. It's like the video game industry exists in a bubble.

Edit: I would even dare to say that this article is in denial of systemic sexism.

This picture is from 1898, before the Coca Cola company even bottled its own drink.

"Prior to Coca-Cola, there was no consistent image of Santa. He was often represented as a skinny man who sometimes wore green and sometimes wore brown." These are completely false statements.

Popularised sir, at that period of time different versions of Santa were still prevalent even if he was the most popular at that time. That is not the case today and Coca-Cola had something to do with that.

Jintor

How so? If anything, the answer (even via the marketing route) appears to boil down to already-present gendered stereotypes existing in wider society.

Perhaps the Coors "Ice Cold" beer and the Pantene/Old Spice divide is more compelling?

Htown

Oh never mind. Derail complete. Good job, now we don't have to actually talk about gender-related stuff. You got what you wanted, I guess. Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom