• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack confirmed Suckage. No redemption. Lord Karnage does not approve

Andrew.

Banned
I was under the impression a large portion of GAF actually really enjoyed Knack. I've heard nothing but good things about it myself.

jwk94

I loved Knack and would enjoy a second installment in the series. Obviously the game could use some improvements, but it's not horrid or anything.

MaDKaT

Can't(well, shouldn't) watch the video while I'm at work. Played through the game twice, half way through a 3rd. Honestly, it is a solid, quite enjoyable game.

dsigns1

I've really enjoyed Knack. My wife who's not a gamer plays it with me and we have fun. It's not a goty contender or anything but you can tell that most people who say it sucks haven't played it.

wwm0nkey

Knack was okay but holy shit that story was just the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. Just bad....really really bad.

pa22word

GAF also liked god hand.

Pretty much everyone except one dumbass at IGN (who was even called out in the comments by a fellow IGN staffer) liked GodHand, so what's your point?

EDIT: Also holy shit is this a negative CGR review? Is the damned sky falling? Are the nukes in the air? Are the fucking little green men running around outside?!

Huh, I didn't expect this from Mark.

I don't know much about Knack, but it seems to be a sorta child-oriented brawler-lite kinda in the same vein as Skylanders, which he's a big buff of.

Maybe I'm totally off base with what I know about Knack. I was just surprised by Mark's negativity about it.

edit: Maybe the game crashing really soured him? Technical problems do that to some people. It's just odd, because Mark is normally so tolerant of games with a bit of jank.

K.Sabot

If knack was translated onto a canvas, this is what it would look like.

554194738_8edc01ae64_m.jpg

GAF also liked god hand.
And Deadly Premonition.

But it does seem like Knack is getting praise across the internet from actual users. Whether that's people who have never played a Nintendo game to compare it to, people who are wearing launch goggles, or neither of the above, who knows. I'm intrigued by it though so will be giving it a rent once I've completed KZSF and SM3DW in the next couple of weeks.

I hope they keep the franchise going. I liked it.
Needs a creative shot in the arm, but I think there's plenty of room for creative expansion of Knack's character action.

zeopower6

A lot of people here really liked Knack with a very vocal minority taking every chance they can to say "oh, I hated this game like the person above" or whatever. x_x

taoofjord

I've certainly had some fun with the game. It has a nice little repetitive feel to it akin to comfort food. But then the game was also unforgivingly difficult, pulling you out of that comfort zone, and had gameplay that's too simple to make the difficulty enjoyable.

The story is awful, but slightly enjoyable as a random diversion, but that's the whole game in a nutshell.

It's so shoddily put together that it feels like some b-grade early xbox/ps2-era game where devs were still exploring how to make interesting 3D worlds and trying to create the next big mascot. Unfortunately for Knack, the art direction is as bland as it comes.

Nevertheless, as my B2G1 free game, I've managed to have some fun with it. And I'll probably finish it over the next 3-4 weeks before trading it in toward something else.

Side note: I also picked up Skylanders: Swap Force. This has that same comfort food gameplay to it. And it's also... a legitimately great game. I'm having a blast and recommend that anyone looking for something light action/adventure fun, and has some money to burn, to pick it up.

Mesoian

I was under the impression a large portion of GAF actually really enjoyed Knack. I've heard nothing but good things about it myself.

They did.

The game may not be the greatest thing in the world, but it's certainly a fair platformer.

Again, I think this just falls in the lap of people who, for some stupid reason, associate console launches as these big events where everything changes and is paramount to a life changing experience. Console launches suck. They always have and they always will, for one reason or another.

But of course, it's a lot of easy clicks if you're a loud youtube celebrity who acts like Cerny and Knack shot their mother in the leg before stealing her purse.

Sometimes good games don't click with him for some kind of weird reasons. He hated Ridge Racer 7 because he didn't like the announcer. He could have just turned the announcer off but...

JoeFenix

Knack is a solid little game with some pacing issues. It's not a masterpiece but it's fun in 1-2 hour sessions, I'm near the end and still enjoying it.

Neff

If you've bought a PS4, you've got to try and like something on it, or you're just going to look silly.

Knacks ok, in an industry with bloated scores a 5/10 is basically garbage, but If I was forced to give it an honest score 5/10 seems fine.

edit: I only play on hard mode, im sure normal or easy would bore me to death.

Endo Punk

I really like Knack. I like Mark too, doesn't mean I always have to agree with his reviews.

The dude can find good things about most every game. For him to say it's really bad and actually have the game freeze on him twice while others run fine shows just how much of a mess it is. I think Gaf might not realise this until launch hype is over sometime in the new year.

Z3M0G

Knack is a game you, as a core gamer, can play with you wife/girlfriend/child. That is the beauty of it.

Jamix012

Time to hear your first bad impression on GAF then: It's kind of awful. It's ok in Co-OP but there are dozens of better games in the similar genre.

Top Bottom