• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack confirmed Suckage. No redemption. Lord Karnage does not approve

Grinchy

Banned
"He's like the Pontiac Aztek of videogame characters"

lol yes he is. I'm not a huge fan of this game so far. I might give it another shot but as of now I think it sucks donkey balls

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
"He's like the Pontiac Aztek of videogame characters."

I'm having fun with the game, but I completely agree that the character design is truly awful.

Ouch. CGR likes pretty much every game.

yeah, it's rare to see Mark hate on a game. So far the only negative reviews I have seen from him so far have been this game and the Ridge Racer series.

But I think it is safe to say that Knack is a pretty polarizing game. I haven't played the game myself, but it looks rather average from all the videos I have seen of it.

dengatron

If knack was translated onto a canvas, this is what it would look like.

554194738_8edc01ae64_m.jpg

Now this is art I can really get behind. None of that psuedo-intellectual bullshit covering the canvas left open for interpretation. Just true art.

Knack is fun. Play it, it'll probably be a PS+ freebie at some point. I enjoy my time with it.

I enjoyed playing through knack. It certainly has its flaws and I would probably agree it's not a 60 USD title but I think a more polished Knack 2 would make for quite a good game

That is of course my opinion and is likely objectively wrong...

Blackage

Knack is simple fun lol, it's not a great game, but it's not unplayable or buggy or frustrating. This game lays a decent foundation, it's possible they'll make a sequel that fixes alot of this game's issues and we'll have another good IP platformer to look forward to.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This kinda confirmed what Ive seen in the next gen screenshot thread, it always looks really empty, and theres always rocks..rocks....more rocks...a rock over here...a rock over there, just nothing but rocks.

kurbaan

Banned
I was under the impression a large portion of GAF actually really enjoyed Knack. I've heard nothing but good things about it myself.

I think that large portion is just trying way to hard to like it. Its a mediocre game at best. Has some redeeming qualities but its just a total bore. By the books no surprises at all in this game.

Knack sucks.

polg

I watch a couple of people play via the PS4 Twitch app the other day. The game didn't look fun.

Well which is harder to like? Killzone or Knack?

In my case? Killzone, can't even pretend I care about it. But I don't need to say knack is great because I have Resogun, and If they all sucked I would have just let my dumb console collect dust till something interesting came out, not everyone needs to force justification over getting some box.

A lot of people here really liked Knack with a very vocal minority taking every chance they can to say "oh, I hated this game like the person above" or whatever. x_x

Vocal minority dislikes Knack? What in the world..

I'd say the vocal majority dislikes Knack m'dude. It's overwhelming how negative the impressions have been for this game. What planet are you living on?

methane47

What is wrong with that guy's Voice. It seems like he's struggling to sound like that. like he's forcing himself to sound as much like a radio voice as he can.

I was under the impression a large portion of GAF actually really enjoyed Knack. I've heard nothing but good things about it myself.

People are forcing themselves to like it because Resogun is the only good PS4 exclusive. The fact that Mark doesn't like it when he's incredibly easy to satisfy says it all.

CrisKre

yep. Knack is pretty crap. I think people want to like it because its a launch game and people are pretty high on the ps4 right now.

Endo Punk

I liked the story and knack, what, exactly were you expecting from a game aimed at kids?

The game doesn't really know who its aiming. for. The art style and simple controls imply children but the difficulty implies core gamers. Pleasing neither group.

wwm0nkey

I liked the story and knack, what, exactly were you expecting from a game aimed at kids?

More than that! Shit I've seen better developed "villains" when I was a kid than whatever Victor was. I don't even know what the guy wanted to do!

Then there are like a million things that are never explained and a few things left unresolved by the end of the game.

The "its for kids" excuse only goes so far.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

I really enjoyed the game but you can tell it was bare.
It needed to be a bit more flushed out but with some deadlines I can understand.
I wish they would make a sequel to redeem itself.

yep. Knack is pretty crap. I think people want to like it because its a launch game and people are pretty high on the ps4 right now.

Kameo is far and away a better title than Knack. It's a damn shame we have yet to see a sequel or universal praise for that game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'd describe Knack as a kids God of War without the gore or interesting characters. It is mediocre, but decently enjoyable.

i've been pleasantly surprised by the launch games in contrast to their reviews. Killzone was actually amazing, and while I haven't played Knack, impressions and livestreams make it look really fun. Of course Resogun is addicting as fuck. Conversely, well reviewed 2k14 pisses me off alot, despite having good graphics and some great gameplay moments.

Voliko

Lord Karnage is very kind in most of his reviews, so a negative opinion from him goes a long way with me. So yeah, confirmed.

What is wrong with that guy's Voice. It seems like he's struggling to sound like that. like he's forcing himself to sound as much like a radio voice as he can.

He sounds like this in real life, and in the hundreds of other video he's made over the years. Why are you attacking this otherwise harmless guy over a bad review score?

mario games are primarily aimed at kids as well. However many people have high expectations on any release of that series. Not saying knack is bad or worse than mario or anything but being aimed at kids doesnt mean its bad

Oni3298

The game wasn't terrible itself, but my goodness, the story was just god awful. Like seriously, terrible... I shook my head so many times, and I'm one of those guys who is so lenient when it comes to this sort of stuff.

I remember watching the Cerny interview on GameTrailers during E3, and how my heart just sank when gameplay footage for it was shown for the first time. Ever since then it always looked shit and I'm not surprised that it turned out to be shit in the end.

For anyone who says "Knack was aimed at kids, what do you expect?" all I have to say is:

Nintendo. It seems people find every excuse in the book to defend this game lol

JCX

Knack is the launch game that people play up at launch, but forget afterward. Truly the Blink of this generation.

It was kind of fun for me until I played 3D World.

Apoc87

Banned
Just what I was thinking. Is it a character?

No. I've been watching this guy for ages (I like the fact he does journalistic reviews, rarely swaying to one side or the other, letting you form your own opinions) but if he says Knack is bad (I cant watch cuz work), then I will unsubscribe from him.

I loved Knack, and my fiance and daughter enjoyed watching it. Fuck da haters mayne, Knack defense force here.

heyf00L

It looks like the Sonic Unleashed Warehog levels, although not even as fun or visually interesting as those.

Although I've played neither, just seen videos.

LAA

I'm liking Knack so far too really.
I don't quite understand the negatives about it.
If anything the cutscenes which seem kinda pointless is one thing I can criticise, but it doesn't annoy me in the slightest really.

The thing for knack so far is it seems brutally hard, ha ha and seeing this was supposed to be designed as a "Childs first possible game", I think this is way too hard for that, ha ha, unless the game plans to break the child's limitations so they'll have no problems later on in their gaming life, ha ha.

Personally, I don't think it deserves the reviews its been getting really, but I can understand the reasons why it got them. I think the main issue seems to be the combat, which can be seen as repetitive, but i think the game deals with that by making it very hard, ha ha, in a lot of cases 1 hit kills, so you have to master the combat.
I'd love to see sequel too really, I think Knack seems like a great character for Playstation, maybe combat wise they can add things like making his hand act like a sword/hammer/gun, or roll into a ball, etc. I think that seems like a missed opportunity there, apart from that, loving it so far and can see it lasting a while actually.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I agree. I started the game hoping to like it, wanting to like it, I tried, for Cerny and SCEJ, but I couldn't. It's one of the worst games I've played in a long, long time.

It should've been a PS3 game, Puppeteer deserved that launch spot.

gngf123

Damn, a negative review from Mark. He never does negative reviews.

Also the "what do you expect from a game aimed at kids?" argument is really stupid. Nintendo have been producing fantastic games that kids can enjoy that also function as extremely well designed games generally, it can be done.

Top Bottom