• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is better than the original N64 game.

Timeless

How many times will people get this wrong?

How is Link's Awakening better than Link's Awakening DX?
How is Wind Waker better than Wind Waker HD? (I haven't played Wind Waker HD, so maybe it really is worse.)
How is Ocarina of Time better than Ocarina of Time 3D?

Any top 10 list that messes this up loses a lot of credibility. Before you say "but they included videos of the newer versions", I argue that the video production staff for this video just grabbed whatever footage of the game was the easiest to find. They probably already had video lying around of WW HD and LA DX, so they put that in. edit: I was wrong on this. See the quote in this post.

These lists are of the BEST Zelda games. If Link's Awakening is your #3 best Zelda game, I have a pick for your #2 or #1 slot. It's called Link's Awakening DX, and it is better than Link's Awakening. It is fully in color and has an extra optional dungeon.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a better game than the original Ocarina of Time. The graphics are much better. The biggest complaint about the original game (the Water Temple) has been addressed in a subtle and unobtrusive way. (They changed the temple by
adding additional signage above some doors, indicating what the water level would be if the switch behind the door was activated
.) The iron boots are now an item rather than equipment, and they can be added and removed with the press of a single button. OoT 3D runs at 30fps, rather than the 20fps or less that the N64 version ran at.

The only legitimate argument I've ever seen on why OoT is better than OoT 3D is that the atmosphere of the game is different in certain spots. Some buildings in Hyrule Castle Town were darker in the original game, and one of the boss fights (
Ganon
) was darker as well. I disagree with this argument because I found the new game to be plenty atmospheric in its own way, including additional graphical flourishes that weren't in the original game.

Wind Waker HD is on the shakiest ground -- you could definitely argue that the graphics of the original had more charm.

If you think the original Ocarina of Time (not the 3D version) is the best game ever (not just your favorite game, but the objective best game ever), why? What does OoT offer that OoT 3D doesn't do at the same level or higher?

edit:
Not going to get into it with you about how opinions like which Zelda is best can't be wrong, but I feel something needs to be explained about the GT Top 10 Zelda list.

We considered OoT3D/OoT/MQ, LA/LA DX, and TWW/TWW HD as the "same game". If you watched the video, we use OoT 3D footage for the OoT entry, LA DX footage for the LA entry, and TWW HD footage for TWW entry.

As to why somebody might the original over the other...there are plenty of reasons. Some might prefer the original interpretation of TWW's visuals over the HD alteration.

FZZ

Banned
As it should be.

Edit: To be fair to the sites that do top tens, you usually don't list remakes or definitive versions.

mstevens

I completely agree. My friend texted me a week ago saying he was going to play OOT for the first time on a 64 he just borrowed. My instant reaction was to offer to let him borrow my 3DS instead. The graphics upgrade / inventory access makes the game much better, IMO.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
You're taking the lists way too literally. OoT 3D is a flavor of OoT, the base game. It is indeed a better flavor, but in that case why not make a list that has Ocarina of Time and Ocarina of Time 3D as separate games if you are treating them as such (have them in different positions, possibly 1 and 2 on the same list)? The obvious reason is that at their core they're the same game. It's silly to get upset by this.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
what? were there really people arguing that OoT 3D was not better than the original? The n64 version is a classic but the 3ds remake is even better. It's like taking an amazing old film, and restoring then rereleasing it on blu ray.

ohlawd

3ds has easier item management so it wins anyway

OoT on N64 was embarassing to play at launch. *shudder* It's like Banjo Kazooie bad.

Mistle

Timeless said:
These lists are of the BEST Zelda games. If Link's Awakening is your #3 best Zelda game, I have a pick for your #2 or #1 slot. It's called Link's Awakening DX, and it is better than Link's Awakening. It is fully in color and has an extra optional dungeon.
I don't think you're grasping lists properly

You're taking the lists way too literally. OoT 3D is a flavor of OoT, the base game. It is indeed a better flavor, but in that case why not make a list that has Ocarina of Time and Ocarina of Time 3D as separate games if you are treating them as such (have them in different positions, possibly 1 and 2 on the same list)? The obvious reason is that at their core they're the same game. It's silly to get upset by this.

Came in to say this. They're listing the original for the sake of simplicity.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
OoT on N64 was embarassing to play at launch. *shudder* It's like Banjo Kazooie bad.

jQfG5Hc.gif

This thread is insane.

However, if I list my favorite game ever, I'm still going to say ocarina of time not ocarina of time 3d. The 3ds version is still a remake and had nowhere near the groundbreaking impact of the original. My best experience with the game was still the N64 version, thus it deserves to be called the best, despite it being cleaned up technically at a later date.

Anth0ny

same shit whatever

I prefer to play it on a TV, though. If they released an HD version of OOT 3D for Wii U, that would be the definitive version, absolutely.

Timeless

Solution:

Here are our top 10 Zelda games
We're only listing the best version of each one, or both if it's a tie (like perhaps WW and WW HD)

Draconian

Yes, it is OP. It's the definitive version of the game and the version of the game that truly realizes what Nintendo intended.

I played the original OoT so much that the smoother frame rate felt weird.

Anyway, I guess I agree with the OP, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. That and I hope they don't take the 3DS version and HDify it for Wii U... I already have the game four different ways and I know I'd end up buying it again...

Fugu

They list OoT and not OoT 3D because the legacy of the title is associated with the original, not the slightly modified version that came out a decade and a half later.

Also, the opinion that LA:DX is better than LA is controversial, to say the least. The graphics may be better but the colored tunics destroy the balance of the game and the colored dungeon itself is a bit of a stinker.

Probably because it came out 16 years ago or so. In 2011 its a medicore game that shows its age.
I beat it for the first time this year (on the N64 no less, sorry OP) and it's definitely one of the best games I've ever played, and I've played a lot of games.

Games don't "age"; design characteristics go in and out of fashion. Ocarina of Time is as modern as it gets for a fifteen year-old game. The technology is jangly as all hell but the game itself still feels perfectly fresh.

mikeyw85

Banned
You must have been one of those elite PC gamers with a high end Pentium 1 at the time.
Ha, yeah. OoT and BK were absolutely mind-blowingly fantastic to me. My personal golden age in gaming. I was obsessed with both.

And to the OP...

Games reviews usually consider the past when reviewing a game. FIFA 09 may score 92%, but FIFA 10 only 80%, even though FIFA 10 is a small improvement, it's not enough to be considered better. Same can go for the COD series. Yes, OoT 3D is an improvement on the origonal, but it's a remake and it's well over a decade later. It almost disrespectful to the origonal to consider it a worse game when you can't have 3D without it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Solution:

Here are our top 10 Zelda games
We're only listing the best version of each one, or both if it's a tie (like perhaps WW and WW HD)

The point is, who cares? You know what they mean. Does OoT being remade 13 years after its release have any impact on its position on the list? I really doubt it. People aren't amazed by OoT in 2011, but they were amazed by it in 1998. The people making "best of" Zelda lists aren't thinking "You know, I really couldn't get into OoT when it came out, but OoT 3D really changed that."

Timeless

same shit whatever

I prefer to play it on a TV, though. If they released an HD version of OOT 3D for Wii U, that would be the definitive version, absolutely.
Screen size should pretty much never be considered in judging a game's quality. Screens can and do change. If I see Citizen Kane on a 15 inch tube TV, I'm not going to call the film bad - just the experience of watching on such a small screen.

You can play Link's Awakening DX on around 10 different screens (consoles). No reason to assume that OoT 3D's legacy will be any less varied.
Came in to say this. They're listing the original for the sake of simplicity.
Because it was so difficult to utter the phrase "three dee"? And much more work to type out two extra symbols?

Keep it simple. Why not just have one list item?
1. Zelda

There it is, the top one Zelda game. Let's not confuse anyone by being any more specific than that.

How many times will people get this wrong?

How is Wind Waker better than Wind Waker HD? (I haven't played Wind Waker HD, so maybe it really is worse.)
How is Ocarina of Time better than Ocarina of Time 3D?

Not going to get into it with you about how opinions like which Zelda is best can't be wrong, but I feel something needs to be explained about the GT Top 10 Zelda list.

We considered OoT3D/OoT/MQ, LA/LA DX, and TWW/TWW HD as the "same game". If you watched the video, we use OoT 3D footage for the OoT entry, LA DX footage for the LA entry, and TWW HD footage for TWW entry.

As to why somebody might the original over the other...there are plenty of reasons. Some might prefer the original interpretation of TWW's visuals over the HD alteration.

Sinoox

Banned
I didn't like the new look, though I bought a 3DS and gave it a shot it didn't change my mind. The N64 had a look more grounded in realism and it seems like they wanted a more mature feel based on all the blood, religious references and the Fire Temple chanting. Perhaps that's an incorrect perception on it, but that's just what I get out of the differences.

Pretending that Ocarina of Time 3D is a vastly different game and should have a seperate spot is in an exercise in futility. It's a gussied up version of the same game you played in the 90s. Except now you don't have to go to the menu to keep switching to the iron boots. It's just really silly to get this worked up over a top 10.

Timeless

Well, I guess it's time to leave my own thread. And it was going so well!

Perhaps future videos could make the blurring together of remakes a little more clear? Or a note in the description, or something?

zulux21

that one is easy, the map glitch in the original link's awakening (that was fixed for DX) was a ton of fun to goof around with, I spent hours just goofing around with that glitch on a second playthrough and sorely missed it in the DX version.

Well, I guess it's time to leave my own thread. And it was going so well!

Perhaps future videos could make the blurring together of remakes a little more clear? Or a note at the beginning, or something?

Totally our fault for not clarifying we lumped together remakes. I guess we relied on the footage to convey that. In the future we'll do a better job with that sort of stuff.

Nerokis

By this reasoning, we would have lists like

9). OoT
8). Link's Awakening DX
7). Majora's Mask
6). WW
5). Twilight Princess
4). Skyward Sword
3). WW HD
2). OoT 3D
1). ALTTP

Timeless

By this reasoning, we would have lists like

9). OoT
8). Link's Awakening DX
7). Majora's Mask
6). WW
5). Twilight Princess
4). Skyward Sword
3). WW HD
2). OoT 3D
1). ALTTP
Does the American Film Institute put out lists like this?

1. Citizen Kane (Blu-Ray)
2. The Godfather (Blu-Ray)
3. Citizen Kane (DVD)
etc.

There's an implication in "best movies" lists that the viewer will be watching in the highest quality that they can get their hands on. That implication is not present in games. Citizen Kane is called Citizen Kane whether it's on Blu-Ray or DVD. It doesn't have the problem that OoT has -- it's not "Citizen Kane HD" on Blu-Ray and just "Citizen Kane" on DVD.

The games are not different enough to have separate spots on the list. I'm not that crazy. But I am crazy enough to say that OoT 3D is better than OoT. OoT doesn't belong on Game Trailers' list because OoT 3D is a better game.

Hermii

Yes it is better, they are improved versions of the same game. However relative to when it came out, the originals were better.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Except all the improvements to WW are gameplay specific... and from its interface, the streamlined or generally improved gameplay, hero mode, and Miiverse integration, I'd say those all make WWHD a way better experience. Thus making literally the oniy thing to complain about WWHD is its visual presentation. I'd call that kinda ironic.

Griss

Totally our fault for not clarifying we lumped together remakes. I guess we relied on the footage to convey that. In the future we'll do a better job with that sort of stuff.

99% of your audience understands that a straight remake like OoT or LA DX is all considered one game. I'm not sure you really need to clarify anything. The OP was completely bizarre to me.

Eusis

Except all the improvements to WW are gameplay specific... and from its interface, the streamlined or generally improved gameplay, hero mode, and Miiverse integration, I'd say those all make WWHD a way better experience. Thus making literally the oniy thing to complain about WWHD is its visual presentation. I'd call that kinda ironic.
Given how the original visual style was reviled on initial reveal, that is true. Seeing it MOTION (and just getting over the shock) changed everything though.

But yeah, I think it's that WW HD is objectively the best, but the original version may be preferred for the visuals and because the changes arguably aren't the kind that truly render an older version obsolete or hard to get into (though at the same time that's why they'd get stacked for a list like this), something like the Dragon Quest remakes are a better example of that to me as even though there may be charm in the original visual style there's too many little usability improvements made, and some balance tweaks that don't completely nerf the game into a joke but make it more reasonable.

Crayolan

Agreed. I can't speak for WW HD or LA DX, but OoT 3D was the better version. The only thing that's better in the original is the final Ganon battle, which, admittedly, is kind of a big deal. 3DS version completely ruined the lighting and scale on that fight.

3ds has easier item management so it wins anyway

Hell-no.gif

Top Bottom