• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite visuals used as propaganda by conservative group on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
FxrFBK7.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=668588979860658&set=a.451425028243722.130624.330201017032791

I'm not the only one thinking this is gross, right? Like, I thought the way Bioshock Infinite dealt with race issues was pretty iffy, but to see it being co-opted as actual racist propaganda makes me pretty uncomfortable.

MilkBeard

If you go to the comments on the image, tons of people are ripping the page owner a new asshole. It is a funny sight to see.

Linkyn

I would say the fact that they are promoting themselves with a piece of media created as satire for the very things they stand for shows how ridiculously stupid they must be.

NeoGash

Only natural that people with small minds would be dumb enough to find something from a game. I also hope some idiots don't use this against Bioshock to push their own agenda.

EDIT: So what is this group about? I CBF logging into Facebook but I can't see much if I don't log in, other than the stupid comments. Maybe the people play games?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Isn't Ken Levine a hardcore libertarian?

Or am I confusing him with John Carmack?

Griss

I do find that poster quite hilarious though. The Irishman and Mexican particularly appeal. As an Irishman myself I would have been well up for joining the foreign hordes supposedly attacking Columbia. Beautiful place to live if you could get your hands on it. Maybe their paranoia was correct!

Infinite had some stunning art, no doubt about that.

Ogimachi

Oh well, it's not news that neocons make us conservatives look worse every day. You'd think they'd at least check where it comes from, though.

Abriael

Banned
BioShock Infinite's lead character artist just told me Irrational already knows, so it won't probably be up much longer.

iro·ny
noun \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\
: a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony
a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning
b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony
c : an ironic expression or utterance
a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity
b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play —called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

I don't think it helps the way Infinite handled race was one of the weaker parts of its plot.

Columbia as an ironic and dark take on people's nostalgia-tinted glasses on the USA's history is effective at times, but stuff like being shocked at OH NO DON'T THROW THAT BASEBALL AT US or having the Vox Populi almost immediately turning into child murderers when given the chance undermines part of its message. While I doubt this group even know Bioshock exists, I could see somebody being dumb enough to take away from the game that racism isn't that big of a deal because the plot feels intentionally restrained when dealing with race, likely to avoid offending people.

Guevara

Much of the art (most?) in Bioshock Infinite was based on real world ads and WWI-era propaganda. I wouldn't be surprised if this was, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom