• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption a Wii Masterpiece

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Metroid_Prime_3_Packaging.jpg

Original Release
NA August 27, 2007
EU October 26, 2007
AUS November 8, 2007
JP March 6, 2008

Developer
Retro Studios

Director
Mark Pacini

Producer
Kensuke Tanabe

Review Quotes

Nintendo Power said:
The stunning visuals and immersive gameplay of the finale to the Prime series proves that the Wii is ready for the mainstream gamer.

Gametrailers said:
The original "Metroid Prime" is one of the highest-rated games in existence, but Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is easily superior. It’s far less frustrating, and more action packed, while managing to redefine console shooting controls in the process.

Nintendo World Report said:
A true gamer's game, a lovingly crafted science-fiction magnum opus, a showcase title not only for excellent motion controls but also stunning artwork that rivals anything in gaming.

Game Informer said:
Corruption isn’t just the best-looking Wii game to date; it’s the best Metroid Prime game period. This is due in large part to the fluid controls. The highly debated, stubborn lock-on aiming system has been replaced with something far better. You can finally look around while moving by aiming the Wii remote.

IGN said:
Not only do the new controls respond quicker and with more precision than any dual-analog-helmed FPS ever created, but the gesture system works brilliantly, too. Meanwhile, the title delivers everything a Metroid fan could hope for, including spectacular environmental puzzles, epic boss fights and intense combat, all wrapped up in a package that spans multiple worlds and is filled with re-traversal exploration.

Soulflarz

Banned
Did i really randomly pre order and buy that when i was 9/10 without any previous primes played?

*pats younger self on back*

But yeah, that game was fun

The only thing I didn't like was the marines and having interaction with them. Also I felt the game was a bit disjointed with the way they broke thinks up. But other than that it was enjoyable. Not as good as the original though

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The game that showed us that the Wiimote was the future of console shooters, too bad no one listened.

The trilogy collection for the Wii is straight up the best value in gaming. Even at it's most expensive, about 120, you're getting 3 amazing games for the price of 2.

It's the worst Metroid Prime game and yet, yes, it is a masterpiece.

That's how good that trilogy was, goddamn. Gonna go look up Skytown's music now.

Tookay

I don't know if this was objectively better than Prime 1, but I definitely know I personally enjoyed this one a lot more.

Really helped prove the potential of FPS controls on the Wii too... which then went pretty much to waste.

Kurod

Banned
It's a fantastic game. I got it when it first came out and again with the trilogy. There were times in veteran mode where the boss battles would last a good while and my arm would start to tire out but in the end it made the victory all the sweeter.

I also enjoyed the other hunters in the story for a change too.
Rundas... :(

Loved the game. Yeah the planet system meant the game lost the classic Metroid interconnected levels that create one whole "planet", but I felt the formula didn't lose that much by not having those nodes that connect to other nodes in other levels. I found that a surprisingly minor omission.

But hoo boy, it had fantastic environments. SkyTown still remains one of the most breathtaking environments of last generation. The perpetual sunset, the ethereal music, the soft rolling thunder in the background, the bizarre architecture, and the knowledge that the entire city has been abandoned for ages makes for an amazing gaming experience.

Flandy

I should get around to playing the Prime games one of these days. I got the Prime Trilogy for $30 back before they announced it was discontinued. Got stuck at some snowy area in Prime and never went back to it.

Loved it. Putting in a cockpit seems like such a minor detail in the grand design of a game, but it really added something to the atmosphere of that game.

Love love live the planet with the floating chuncks held down by chains. Some great skyoxes.

TnK

Did i really randomly pre order and buy that when i was 9/10 without any previous primes played?

*pats younger self on back*

But yeah, that game was fun
You make me feel old...I was in my summer vacation after high school before going to uni.

That being said, I only finished MP1 and have 2&3 left. How much am I missing out?

Masterful game. The level design was a bit less demanding than Prime or Prime 2's but the overall gameplay really delivered. Puzzles and combat were on par with the preceding games in design, though several instances were enhanced by the motion controls. Also it has to be one of the snappiest and smoothest FPS games I've ever played. I don't know what they did with the controls and/or character physics but that shit was fucking butter. Art was the best of the trilogy imo and Retro's commitment to 60FPS even on ancient hardware remains glorious. Definitely one of the best games of last gen. Very overlooked.

You make me feel old...I was in my summer vacation after high school before going to uni.

That being said, I only finished MP1 and have 2&3 left. How much am I missing out?

A lot. Metroid Prime 1 is the best one, but 2 and 3 are still amazing games.

Loved Metroid Prime, loved MP2: Echoes. Played a couple of hours of Corruption and never went back.

The fact that the world was split up into a heap of smaller chunks rather than a single consistent world felt like a cop out to me, and combine that with the Saturday morning cartoon villains that wouldn't look out of place on Ben 10, I didn't love Metroid Prime 3.

I am sure I will go back and give it another chance at some point though.

Fantastic game that is part of a fantastic trilogy. Definitely worth a playthrough.

Now let's return to 2D side-scrolling Metroid on the 3DS please!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Definitely the best Prime game, and the reason why I don't want them to make a new Prime. Impossible not to be disappointed with a new Prime game that doesn't use a wiimote.

masud

Banned
I have to admit I only played the first couple of hours and it's actually the game that made me sell my Wii. I just couldn't tolerate the graphics anymore. I'll have to pick it up again someday.

Prime 2 has a very steep difficulty curve compared to Prime 1, and Prime 3 is the easiest of the bunch. 2 relies on parallel worlds and a light/dark beam mechanic with ammo rather than the traditional power/plasma/wave/ice beams, and is more confusing due to it. And Prime 3 has stacked beam upgrades without any beam switching and is more linear. Prime 2 has the series' best boss fights and Prime 3 has the worst.

Both of the later games are fantastic but Prime 1 will always be my favorite. Also the best area of any Prime game is in the second game: Late game spoiler:
Sanctuary Fortress

Ninjimbo

I've never played this game. Part of it is because at the time of its release I was feeling burned out on Metroid. After finishing Echoes, I began to feel the formula had run its course especially since Echoes took everything from Prime 1 and amplified it to the Nth degree. You could say it was almost too much Metroid.

Be that as it may, I haven't played a Metroid in a few years and I've been feeling the itch to buy some Wii games that I missed out on.

Has Corruption aged well?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Long ago, in the ancient hill nation of Texas, where whiskey runs freely, horses are ridden, the hot sun shines forcefully, and public transportation is shunned in favor of the automobile, there was a moment in history where any game that filled all 3 of the following critera:

1. was first-person view
2. featured shooting in some capacity
3. was made in Texas

had a 50+% chance of being a masterpiece. It was a golden age. A time of innovation and game design mastery. Metroid Prime 3 was one of the last of its kind.

Doom
Quake
Duke 3D
Turok 2
Deus Ex
Quake 3
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Metroid Prime Series

*tips cowboy hat euphorically*

Blearth

Banned
Worst game in the series.

Completely forgettable outside of the boss fight with ice dude. That part was awesome.

Neiteio

The first Ridley encounter, where you're fighting in free fall, was some epic Gandolf-vs.-Balrog goodness. He literally holds you in the palm of his hand.

Best Ridley encounter ever... or at least tied with Meta Ridley in Prime 1.

I've seen this game catch a lot of hate on GAF. It was my first and only Metroid game and I absolutely loved it. I'm gonna replay it one of these days. I should really get around to playing the SNES Metroid game and the original Prime too.

The first Ridley encounter, where you're fighting in free fall, was some epic Gandolf-vs.-Balrog goodness. He literally holds you in the palm of his hand.

Best Ridley encounter ever... or at least tied with Meta Ridley in Prime 1.

Such a shame that almost no other FPS (if any tbh) has done bosses as well as the Prime games. First person is a great perspective for things like focusing the player's attention solely on the boss itself (no character in the way) and establishing scale (shout-outs to Quaddy from Prime 2 :3).

It's tied with Super Metroid as my favorite game in the franchise.

The presentation may have kinda deviated from the Alien-inspired sci-fi horror of the past games, but the gameplay still has everything you would expect from a Metroid game and it's just the game in the series that is the most fun to play for me. I especially like Hyper Mode because it addresses an issue I have with the first two Prime games (enemies taking way too long to kill on Hard difficulty).

I wanted to like this game, as I had discovered and unexpectedly loved Prime 1&2 the year before it came out...

I think it was the controller, honestly. When I look back on my time with the wii, I only have positive memories of games that allowed me to use a normal controller.

I didn't get far. Only 2 or 3 hours. Maybe the Prime formula was wearing thin for me by then?

Now that I think about it, this is the only Metroid game I haven't beaten. Oh, and Hunters, I suppose.

Pachinko

This is the only prime game I actually had fun playing. The first prime did next to nothing for me, frustrating at too many points, the end game fetch quest was just a total snore and well, even shortly before that the game requires you to fight room after room of color coded pirates which annoyingly require you to switch your weapon every 30 seconds or so.

I didn't play too much of the second game so I can't judge it nearly as harshly , seemed like more of the same really.

The third game though, starts off with an amazing boss fight and by splitting the entire thing into 3 smaller zones and offering up stronger weapons as well as a control scheme that didn't bug me as much , it just felt much easier to get into. It was harder to die and most of the encounters weren't as frustrating.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Motion controls killed it for me. I've gotten about ten hours into the game on two separate occasions, and both times the controls just wouldn't click. The extra effort and attention it took to fight the controls made it constantly impossible to really submerge myself into the game. A total immersion killer.

And what's worse: I hated the controls in the first two Metroid Prime games, too. I can't win, haha. It's one of many reasons I prefer 2D Metroid.

My favorite videogame trilogy. I said it!

Mine too. With Metroid Prime pretty much being my favorite game period. If the need existed, I think someone could make a very strong argument that the original Metroid Prime is the "best game ever released," assuming there is such a thing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the pirate homeworld level was amazing. my favorite of the entire prime series. and dat remix hnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg.

Top Bottom