• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty is goddamn hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there's a thread for the first ep, but more people should watch this show. If the relationship between Doc Brown and Marty McFly was more fucked up. Doc Rick is a manic, alcoholic crazy scientist and Morty is just a dumb naive kid. If you like Adventure Time's insanity, you should check it out. Great mix of biting family humour and cool sci-fi hijinks. The co-creators: Justin Roiland does the sci-fi shit, Dan Harmon does the family shit. Only 3 episodes so far and I'd say it's up there with other Adult Swim greats.

is5KHLsip2Sm.gif

iWIpEUetRNYnw.gif

Doc Rick's drunken belches are great. Also, both titular characters voiced by the co-creator. First episode is for free on youtube.

Let the cast describe it to you:
Here's what it comes down to. This show is disgusting, completely inappropriate, and you're going to want a bag of doritos and a bong and watch it over and over again!

RICK AND MORTY FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS
sjxajHW.gif

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I watched the inception episode the other day, first time I had ever seen the show. Thought it was brilliant and hilarious. I've been meaning to watch more episodes since.

It took a little bit for me to fully click with the show, but holy shit it's awesome. The pilot does a good job of not only serving as a pilot, but screwing with your traditional "paper-thin show pitch" interpretation by completely throwing your usual ending out the window with the whole
"i haven't really been subconsciously teaching you anything, it's from those intradimensional space seeds you butt-smuggled and you're going to lose about 30 points off your IQ for the next 72 hours once it wears off"
aspect.

For being Flash-based (I think), all of the weird, fluid jankiness that all of the characters have helps breathe some life into the animation.

The opening theme is great, too. The only thing that's felt weird about it so far is that Scary Terry (the Freddy Kruger parody) is treated as a cheap knock-off of some ancient movie. Which he is, and isn't an issue with the show, mind you, but weird in the "holy shit 1984 was 30 years ago" sense. I also kind of wish they had gone with a different approach to the whole "this is for emphasis, bitch" catchphrase but eh, what are you gonna do. "Welcome to prime time, bitch!" is probably the most well-known thing Freddy's said in all the movies in the first place, so props to them for at least drawing some reference from the character rather than pulling your traditional zero-research pop culture reference like so many shows try nowadays.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I love rick and Morty, its a lot like doctor who if the doctor just wanted to be drunk and perform experiments for the sake of science or money.

Violet_0

Banned
watched the first episode, I rather like it! I thought this was from the Adventure Time guys but apparently it's from the Community guys?

Yup, it's pretty great. My only flaw about the show, is that the scientist guy drools a little too much. Not that big of a problem, just a little something I dislike.

After that, the show is pretty funny.

I thought the first episode was pretty okay, but the second one pretty much sealed the deal for me loving the series. Very catchy theme tune as well

And for the love of everything holy, don't watch the original pilot if you have family around the screen

I just convinced my mom to watch the first 2 episodes during dinner. At the end of the second episode all she said was "amazing" :D

Mariolee

I didn't clock into Community, liked it enough but didn't become a huge fan. But this, this is fucking great.

To all the people who like the show:
ib2zLd2y02sz04.gif

Give Community another chance. Try the one hour season premiere on January 2nd on NBC and see it still doesn't clock in for you. These were written by the same reinvigorated Harmon that made Rick and Morty, so hopefully they'll be just as good.

Wow, I'm surprised to see all of the positive impressions in here. I work at Gamestop and there was a god-awful promo on Gamestop TV all throughout the month of November. For some reason I can't find it on youtube, but it's the one where Rick and Morty are facing the camera and then the doc proves to the kid that it's just a promo by making him turn to reveal that his backside hasn't been animated. I must have seen that shitty commercial over 150 times while working, and it really, REALLY soured me on ever wanting to watch the show.

GAF has rarely led me astray in the past though, and I DO love Adventure Time, so I guess I'll reluctantly check the first episode out.

It seriously brilliant. The way Rick and Morty interact is pretty hilarious, and all of the dialogue and plot so far has been really entertaining.

Can't wait for more!

sn00zer

I imagine the twist is that Rick isnt Morty grandpa and that he killed his grandpa and just used some sort of machine to make everyone believe he is a relative

Glad R&M is gettin love on GAF. Stayed tuned for crazier Eps.

Yep. One of my former professors works for Starburns Inc. and I got to see the pilot episode a couple years back. They originally weren't going to use Roiland as the voice actor, but the pilot was clearly better with him voicing. I mentioned that to an executive producer after watching the pilot. I feel like I contributed something lol

blamite

This show is so fucking good, and I'm glad to see so much love for it on GAF. I don't have a lot to add other than everyone should watch this and Community and listen to Dan's podcast Harmontown. I'll be so happy to have all three going on at once next year!

I can't seem to find episode 2 and 3 on their yet channel

It seems like they usually have each episode up one at a time for a week after they air, but they seem to have rotated back to the pilot for now. Otherwise I guess you have to sign in through a cable provider to watch the other episodes on the Adult Swim site. :/

Crocodile

Episode 1 bored me out of my skull. I saw part of what I think was the third episode (at some anatomy park or something) and it looked to be pretty gross humor so I didn't stick around. Not really interested in catching more.

Azzurri

Watched ep 3 and it was much more funnier than the pilot. I love the make out scene when rick ask morty to find the nipple. Also, she has a puffy vagina, didn't see that coming.

Lijik

it seriously is. Saw the episode with the inception stuff and fell in love.

yeah thats my favorite one so far
"its just like inception Morty! so if its stupid and doesnt make sense, then so does everybodys favorite movie!"

Yeah I was quite pleased with the Inception dig. That movie is entertaining but it seriously gets an incomprehensible amount of praise. It's #14 on the IMDB Top 250. I mean what the fuck?

Mariolee

Episode 1 bored me out of my skull. I saw part of what I think was the third episode (at some anatomy park or something) and it looked to be pretty gross humor so I didn't stick around. Not really interested in catching more.

At least watch the Inception Episode, it's the best one in my opinion.

Alric

Just watched the first 3 episodes with my Fiance and we loved it. I immediately checked wiki to see if more episodes were coming out and we get at least 7 more.

I really hope it gets picked up for another season because so far its really funny.

Alric

Also, the artist really loves drawing ballsacks on things. Everything has a ballsack in some visual form or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom