• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting harder to tell which posts are legit

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been getting harder and harder to tell what posts are serious and what are sarcasm or a parody or some kind of inside joke. It's on both gaming and off-topic but I made the thread in here. Who else has trouble? It's rampant on the gaming side, you have to examine posts carefully to tell if the guy is doing a parody or trolling or what have you. Is this post even real? Yes, it is but I'm just saying. Maybe my trolldar is malfunctioning or something.

Opiate

It's been getting harder and harder to tell what posts are serious and what are sarcasm or a parody or some kind of inside joke. It's on both gaming and off-topic but I made the thread in here. Who else has trouble? It's rampant on the gaming side, you have to examine posts carefully to tell if the guy is doing a parody or trolling or what have you. Is this post even real? Yes, it is but I'm just saying. Maybe my trolldar is malfunctioning or something.

In many ways this is harder for me as a moderator, but I also appreciate the emergence of this phenomenon (which I have also observed). Dry humor is the best kind, and parodies of real life are always the most effective when they are very believable.

In many ways this is harder for me as a moderator, but I also appreciate the emergence of this phenomenon (which I have also observed). Dry humor is the best kind, and parodies of real life are always the most effective when they are very believable.
Have you ever banned a dude by accident for doing a crazy parody post? The thing is...you have to follow the forum super closely otherwise you have no idea when it's an obscure reference to a crazy post from months ago, even years sometimes. I guess that's more of a reward than a negative. Still a bit of a chore

Yawnier

Banned
The irony

image.php

Opiate

Have you ever banned a dude by accident for doing a crazy parody post? The thing is...you have to follow the forum super closely otherwise you have no idea when it's an obscure reference to a crazy post from months ago, even years sometimes. I guess that's more of a reward than a negative. Still a bit of a chore

Yes, specifically when people have made obscure references that virtually no one could feasibly know. For example, a parody of a 1970s TV show that would just come off as inflammatory trolling to everyone who has not watched it.

At some point, you can't realistically expect people to catch your reference. In some cases, the "fault" or honus for the reference is on the reader; but as the reference becomes increasingly obscure, the honus falls more and more on the poster. If I were to parody a racist 1840s Vaudeville play that 3 people on GAF total have even heard of, then I can't complain about getting banned for being a racist jerk.

FStop7

Banned

All of my posts are serious. Deadly, deadly serious. Knife edge serious.

Yes, specifically when people have made obscure references that virtually no one could feasibly know. For example, a parody of a 1970s TV show that would just come off as inflammatory trolling to everyone who has not watched it.

At some point, you can't realistically expect people to catch your reference. In some cases, the "fault" or honus for the reference is on the reader; but as the reference becomes increasingly obscure, the honus falls more and more on the poster. If I were to parody a racist 1840s Vaudeville play that 3 people on GAF total have even heard of, then I can't complain about getting banned for being a racist jerk.

I'm willing to lend you my entire collection of Barney Miller episodes on Blu Ray if it would help.

OnPoint

Yeah, this happens. I got banned once for "image spam" when I posted a picture of Will Ferrell in Old School streaking by himself in response to someone asking people to play a long-dead online game with them.

Long time ago. Dick response by me. But I always felt that the "image spam" as the ban reason was just because the mod didn't get the joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom