• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has political ideologues made a battlefield out of gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Success

This nonsense that "gaming has always been political" needs to stop. Now. Its getting tiresome.

Some video games may have contained minor elements or sub-themes of politics, but they were never fully political until the recent decade. Originally, these themes were merely used to serve as a vessel or mediator to string together an interesting and engrossing story plot. Not to spread mindless nauseating propaganda, agenda or indoctrination. Like, geopolitical themes used to conjure suspense and intrigue and weren't meant to back some slacktivist statement.

The instance of Mortal kombat was more birthed in counter culture if anything. Jack Thompson was a lunatic who rightfully got ridiculed years ago. Now we're dealing with a horde of "Thompson copies" that are equally ridiculous as he was back then. Not to mention, this notion that "everything is political" has granted c-suite executives substantially more influence over the creative development in video games by employing people who support this perception.

Its bothersome how twisted this perception has become and how this deranged notion is being propped as an excuse to continuously inject and validate political bullshit in places where it clearly doesn't belong. We should be discouraging this instead of actively encouraging it.

/rant

I know it is hard to understand but politics in gaming and "woke" developers have always been in gaming.

It is just now that you disagree with it.

Look at Nintendo unveiling Samus being a woman back in the day.

Many people would have argued that Nintendo is bringing unnecessary politics into their games by making Samus into a woman.

You need to face the reality that gaming is changing and leaving you behind. This is the cycle of things.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There's an audience for everyone. Some people also chose to not play Hogwarts Legacy so they wouldn't lose subscribers.
Also, everything you said about that streamer is very specific, I think you are feeding algorithms of counter- counter culture warriors who made their videos exposing that person.
Either that or you're just obsessed with that streamer and you never miss a video lol.

I'm not feeding algorithms if I'm not sharing the name and video links and embedding Tweets in an effort to help stir up the drama. The thread here on the matter already got closed and I wasn't in it.

It's just one example, there's a thousand out there. As you say, there's an audience for everyone, but I'm not the audience for either side and yet I'm constantly barraged with it because people can't help themselves but react to it. I've played and enjoyed Hogwarts, BG3 and will be doing the same with Starfield tomorrow because they're fun video games, not because I agree or disagree with developers adding more options to the character creation screen.

Meanwhile a certain subsect of people like to screech and cry about these options because they believe developers are "injecting their politics" into the games, which conflicts with - wait for it - the politics that complainer is bringing to their experience of the game. They can just ignore it. The video game is not going to reach through the monitor and inject them with oestrogen. If they don't want to support it that's entire their prerogative, but yelling into the void of the internet about it, like anyone cares, is just free publicity. That's exactly what happened with Hogwarts.

Ozzie666

This is why you don't negotiate with terrorists. Give them an inch, they want a mile and it never fucking stops, always finding something else to bitch about. The commonsense train has long since left the station and humanity is doomed. Also, why do you care what people think about a game you enjoy. How does that impact you or your enjoyment of the game. Do yourself a favour and get off the internet for a while, because social media was a mistake and people just want to see the world burn.

I feel somewhat the same with the original Battlesra Galactica.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Honestly? It's to maintain the status quo: ordinary people have way more in common than what divides them - if we weren't at war about movies and videogames we might start talking to each other about the way things in this world are run; we might find that we largely agree on how hard we're all being fucked by the same system. That kind of solidarity is dangerous for the people at the top: better to have us fighting over the latest comic book adaptation than agree on what fair wages and honest governance look like.

No coincidence that these issues have taken the limelight in the last few years. People are more pissed off than they've ever been and that anger needs to be channeled. A couple of hundred years ago if you fucked people one-tenth this hard, they'd come for you - they'd burn half a city down over a tax hike (the Moscow Salt Riots, for example). These days, the folks in charge are better at managing and dispersing that anger.

Last edited:
Welcome to 2013-2014. That’s when all this stuff kicked off. 2014 was such a barren year for releases and Bayonetta 2 was pretty much one of the only few good games that released and should’ve easily won GOTY. Instead fucking boring-ass Dragon Age Inquisition won because muh “male gaze” sjw losers complaining about how “sexist” Bayonetta was.

Fast forward to today, the same losers memory holed that and now love Bayonetta because she’s a supposed “queer icon,” and then their head cannon was ruined by Bayonetta 3 where she was confirmed to be straight (or at least bi). These people just want to complain about everything so they can always play victim and swap opinions to match their party affiliated approved messages constantly.

Tedditalk

The only significant demographic shift the nation had faced in the past decade or two is more Hispanics. And I can assure you won’t find many in support of the LGBT propaganda or preaching about toxic masculinity. And funny enough we haven’t seen a proportional increase in Hispanic representation in games over the years. Only seems to be LGBT and black woman. That new market majority you speak of.
I bolddd the thing that made me the most curious, as it Is true. The most notable addition is the significant increase in Spanish language support, and an added Spanish character here and there. The industry needs to catch up on this.... and it tells alot about who on the dev teams has sway. I will look more into this aspect because I do find this valuable to me.

The rest though, you find plenty of Spanish elders talking about machismo and how it killing young men because they join gangs. There Is a growing acceptance of LGBT amongst the community aswell, although yeah they are more conservative than normative. Not much comment regarding black women being added more, as like black men, they are strongly represented in the entertainment industry.

I know it is hard to understand but politics in gaming and "woke" developers have always been in gaming.

Many people would have argued that Nintendo is bringing unnecessary politics into their games by making Samus into a woman.

You need to face the reality that gaming is changing and leaving you behind. This is the cycle of things.

Very funny. That's you framing it as it was always purposefully going for a political angle from the get-go. I largely disagree with any kind of misuse/abuse of video games to be used as a political soapbox.

I don't recall a huge uproar about Samus' gender back then. Did it shock some people that it was unexpectedly a woman under all the dense armor? perhaps. If you were a dweeb who had a problem with playing as a woman then that was just weird.

You need to face that you have distorted the perception of how much space politics actually occupied throughout gaming to validate its current state.

Last edited:

Hudo

Welcome to 2013-2014. That’s when all this stuff kicked off. 2014 was such a barren year for releases and Bayonetta 2 was pretty much one of the only few good games that released and should’ve easily won GOTY. Instead fucking boring-ass Dragon Age Inquisition won because muh “male gaze” sjw losers complaining about how “sexist” Bayonetta was.

Fast forward to today, the same losers memory holed that and now love Bayonetta because she’s a supposed “queer icon,” and then their head cannon was ruined by Bayonetta 3 where she was confirmed to be straight (or at least bi). These people just want to complain about everything so they can always play victim and swap opinions to match their party affiliated approved messages constantly.
You can tell that 2014 was a shit year because Dragon Age Inquisition won GOTY. That tells you everything you need to know.

DareDaniel

Banned
I'm not feeding algorithms if I'm not sharing the name and video links and embedding Tweets in an effort to help stir up the drama. The thread here on the matter already got closed and I wasn't in it.

It's just one example, there's a thousand out there. As you say, there's an audience for everyone, but I'm not the audience for either side and yet I'm constantly barraged with it because people can't help themselves but react to it. I've played and enjoyed Hogwarts, BG3 and will be doing the same with Starfield tomorrow because they're fun video games, not because I agree or disagree with developers adding more options to the character creation screen.

Meanwhile a certain subsect of people like to screech and cry about these options because they believe developers are "injecting their politics" into the games, which conflicts with - wait for it - the politics that complainer is bringing to their experience of the game. They can just ignore it. The video game is not going to reach through the monitor and inject them with oestrogen. If they don't want to support it that's entire their prerogative, but yelling into the void of the internet about it, like anyone cares, is just free publicity. That's exactly what happened with Hogwarts.
You're still giving them clicks. You can just ignore this thread and streamers who talk about that stuff. You seem to waste too much time with things you don't want to read/watch.

The character creator in hogwarts legacy was woke but they at least when I created a male character the game didn't assign me "He/Him" pronouns and didn't ask me if I wanted to keep them or change them. They found a clever way to go around it by just asking you in which dormitory you wanted to sleep, so the woke side of it could be ignored. Pronouns were never mentioned as far as I remember.
Starfield forces that shit on you in a different way. Besides, if the game gives you "them/them" option, what about all the other billions of pronouns?

Sure they might be just be playing fake offended audience but they could also be very upset about it as they see it as something that breaks their immersion in games. Lol as far as I know no one is being harassed for simply playing Starfield and I don't think anyone is telling others to not buy the game, a couple of streamers complaining about pronouns can't be compared to the insanity that happened with hogwarts legacy.

Last edited:

Dutchy

Thank you.

Luckily I've seen a lot of the extemists get banned in the past few weeks. I think a lot of it has to do with the craving of general affirmation.

''I like this thing so much, I need to defend it at all costs.''

I grew out of it quickly myself. Live and let live is an excellent way to be happy and content.

DareDaniel

Banned

Samus isn't woke, it she just broke stereotypes. There was no forced political agenda at the time to make more female characters in games.

Btw her reveal would trigger the woke mob today:

yall-are-talking-about-a-game-series-that-began-by-v0-4al6bfpulfj81.jpg

Physiocrat

There is a movement amongst many in the arts that do not actually care about making great art but see it merely as an end to a social goal. It is now longer art for arts sake but to push a social goal. I am not saying art never pushed a message but it did so whilst respecting the norms of story telling and, say, painting.

This movement has mostly been from left wing ideologues which is most obvious from Netflix adaptations.

Gaming is now more popular amongst teenage males than film and TV (IIRC). Also since it was and has a predominant male user base, it is a dangerous space which needs feminist gatekeeping - the feminist movement has relentlessly attacked male only spaces for 60 years.

So we have an art form that is much bigger than it was and wasn't gatekeeped as other older art forms were. Consequently it became a new battleground to prevent wrongthink.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You're still giving them clicks. You can just ignore this thread and streamers who talk about that stuff. You seem to waste too much time with things you don't want to read/watch.

The character creator in hogwarts legacy was woke but they at least when I created a male character the game didn't assign me "He/Him" pronouns and didn't ask me if I wanted to keep them or change them. They found a clever way to go around it by just asking you in which dormitory you wanted to sleep, so the woke side of it could be ignored. Pronouns were never mentioned as far as I remember.
Starfield forces that shit on you in a different way. Besides, if the game gives you "them/them" option, what about all the other billions of pronouns?

Sure they might be just be playing fake offended audience but they could also be very upset about it as they see it as something that breaks their immersion in games. Lol as far as I know no one is being harassed for simply playing Starfield and I don't think anyone is telling others to not buy the game, a couple of streamers complaining about pronouns can't be compared to the insanity that happened with hogwarts legacy.

Being in this thread isn't giving anyone clicks. My information is second hand.

In Hogwarts every player character is referred to as they/them through the game, you didn't have a choice and you didn't even notice it happen apparently. There wasn't even a he/him option for people to go in and choose. Starfield does not FORCE you to choose, it assigns you the default he/him for that "body type" and then you can change that if you like by going out of your way to do so if you wish. If you want to be a he in the first place and the game says "you're a he" by default, why would you care?

But you're right in that I'm wasting too much time just by being in this thread, so it's the last I'll say on the matter. It's just incredibly boring seeing any and all acknowledgement of transgender people as woke, to the point where optional settings in video games upset people so much. Each to their own, I just don't care if it's there because it doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Don't discount "Poochie the Dog" syndrome. The imposition of what is perceived to be fashionable with the target demographic as a driving aesthetic.

The interesting part of the whole "Gamergate" thing was how the initial, personal, conflict elicited a coordinated response from seemingly the entire enthusiast press, revealing them to be an entirely homogenous group ideologically. Essentially that whole "expert" media class set out a manifesto and, I don't think its unreasonable to think that would have had an impact on creatives and business people as to what apparently is "down with the kids".

I mean, its pretty undeniable that a message was sent that going against this consensus would not go well for anyone foolish enough to try!

A very powerful statement when you consider that an element changed by Gamergate was the way in which publishers schmoozed reviewers in order to get favourable coverage (remember review events and lavish goodie bags?) - leaving businesses in need of another way to curry favour with these taste-makers.

DareDaniel

Banned
Being in this thread isn't giving anyone clicks. My information is second hand.

In Hogwarts every player character is referred to as they/them through the game, you didn't have a choice and you didn't even notice it happen apparently. There wasn't even a he/him option for people to go in and choose. Starfield does not FORCE you to choose, it assigns you the default he/him for that "body type" and then you can change that if you like by going out of your way to do so if you wish. If you want to be a he in the first place and the game says "you're a he" by default, why would you care?

But you're right in that I'm wasting too much time just by being in this thread, so it's the last I'll say on the matter. It's just incredibly boring seeing any and all acknowledgement of transgender people as woke, to the point where optional settings in video games upset people so much. Each to their own, I just don't care if it's there because it doesn't affect me in the slightest.
I meant you gave a click to that streamer by watching his/her content.
Tbh I didn't notice it at all.
I didn't say that Starfield forces you to choose a pronoun. All I said was that it throws gender ideology at your face by assigning you pronouns.
No one said that trans women didn't exist.

You are completely missing the point here.

The gist is that, if Samus would have been revealed today as it was back then, without any single alteration, pleople like you would scream: woke! political agenda! left propaganda!
This is not because of the actual material, but because of the obsession some developed in recent years.

Take also MGS2 for example. If it was released today, a single picture of Raiden would've caused the screams of !!woke!! to be heard outside our galaxy, even though everything regarding the character is well justified in the narrative.

Another example (movie this time) Everything Everywhere All At Once. This movie could be very well the ultimate woke hymn, but i haven't heard of it bothering anti-wokers (i mean, did it?), because it is simply well wrtitten, creative and self aware. A masterpiece some would argue.

So, what you are actually condemning is simply the bad writing most contemporary artistic endeavours suffer from, because, as i exemplified, these subjects have always been there, but much better presented.

Why would I attack Samus and Raiden today? You need to be more clear.

"Legos and Barbie has ALWAYS been political. Didnt you know that, chuds?"

Makes you wonder why they insist on reframing the past when modern things are criticized. Strange behavior

HL3.exe

OP could've stopped at 'People suck'

Yeah, the hijacking stuff is stupid and disingenuous, just like the 'keep politics out my games' crowd.

People should not pretend that games from the 90's didn't have political underpinnings or perspectives. It's natural. Like Fallout 1 and 2 where not a satire and critical of late-stage capitalism in the 90's. Give me a break haha.

DareDaniel

Banned
"Samus isn't woke, it she just broke stereotypes."

Things are called woke precisely because they break stereotypes.

The new Ghostbusters cast being all female instead of male = woke
If the new Ghostbusters cast was all male then the movie would not have been called woke.

Like I said before, the current politics in games just does not agree with your political views.
There has always been politics in games like the "woke" Samus reveal.
You don't know what woke is.
Samus was an original character in a new game. She has a nice background story. Her reveal wasn't woke.
Female ghostbusters was pure IP vandalism and no one liked that movie.

Samus isn't woke, it she just broke stereotypes. There was no forced political agenda at the time to make more female characters in games.

The forced political agenda is not making more female characters. Literally, no one outside of the oft-cited "incel" boogeymen, has ever had any issue with female characters or a prevalence of them in gaming.

The actual agenda being pushed today that pisses everyone off, is the complete revisionist history view that women characters have never before existed in gaming and that the poorly developed, wooden caricatures masquerading as characters in today's games are somehow some seminal moment in gaming history where "strong female leads" are being pushed for the first time.

The issue people have with the agenda being pushed is not the race, sex, or sexual orientation of modern game characters... It's the relentless, incessant focus on these meaningless traits to the absolute detriment of story-telling, character development, and overall game quality.

X-Wing

Nice use of happy buzzwords to not even say anything. You didnt address that how there is an idealogical invasion going on which is ruining the culture. No problem there, right? Typical rhetoric to play innocent and dodge all accountability.

Hey your house is a great place, invite everyone in and do as they please! Dont advocate for people to create their own environments where they can thrive and be content, you must let them in or else you have an absurd worldview! What kind of host are you! It belongs to everyone

This by far the most original, and by proxy the dumbest, spin on the "take them to your home" take I have ever read. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Thanks for this.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

The actual agenda being pushed today that pisses everyone off, is the complete revisionist history view that women characters have never before existed in gaming and that the poorly developed, wooden caricatures masquerading as characters in today's games are somehow some seminal moment in gaming history where "strong female leads" are being pushed for the first time.
James Cameron got the blunt end of this when Wonder Woman released. Many were heralding the movie as a new dawn for female leads; when Cameron pointed to his own canon of work over the past thirty years and its numerous non-sexualized, universally admired female leads he got okay-boomer'd out of the room.

Last edited:
This by far the most original, and by proxy the dumbest, spin on the "take them to your home" take I have ever read. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Thanks for this.
Once again avoiding the entire premise with your air of superiority. How about engage with the analogy. You hire in these new people at a game development company, and they begin involving these social justice practices into the games being made, and people are saying "who asked for this?" Your answer is ..HA these backwards fools are so hateful.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The real question is, why aren't there more conservative creatives? That really the heart of the matter. I would pay money to see more of that in the medium, purely out of interest to see what work they would produce.
There’s probably conservatives making games. They’re probably the ones who don’t shove their politics and ideology in your face on social media and in their games, and make games that don’t carry any kind of “message”. Maybe because they think that’s not absolutely necessary to make and promote a video game.

Every time a game developer doesn’t put a rainbow flag in their Twitter icon on Pride month. Every time there’s a pretty woman showing a bit of skin in a game. Every time a game with a character creator doesn’t have pronouns options, or a black character, or a nonbinary character. Every time a game dev doesn’t speak up about certain issues. And every time people on the “other side” call some devs Nazis for exaggerated reasons. There’s your conservative creatives, probably.

"If you were a dweeb who had a problem with playing as a woman then that was just weird."

Look at your message.

It is a political statement.

Your message is no different from what people are now saying:

"If you were a dweeb who had a problem with playing as a trans-woman then that was just weird."
Nah, man. That's just you desperately trying to cling onto anything in order to legitimize your narrative/perspective.

It seems like you got issues with perceiving everything under a political microscope/lens. I guess there's no sense in pursuing this conversation any further.

Fahdis

The forced political agenda is not making more female characters. Literally, no one outside of the oft-cited "incel" boogeymen, has ever had any issue with female characters or a prevalence of them in gaming.

The issue people have with the agenda being pushed is not the race, sex, or sexual orientation of modern game characters... It's the relentless, incessant focus on these meaningless traits to the absolute detriment of story-telling, character development, and overall game quality.

Very well said. Gender identity politics should be the last thing on my mind when I'm playing a game. People can have them if they like but it should not deter from anything else of value to make the game the best version of itself.

This reminded me of that writer at insomniac who made it a big deal on Twitter to say she advocated for Rivet to be Gay. Who the FUCK CARES? An anthromorphic animal alien is now deferred to Human agenda setting sexual orientation. Why does it have to be front, back and center in my face? I could care less, if she's an interesting character I will like her regardless.

Absurdity.

Success

You don't know what woke is.
Samus was an original character in a new game. She has a nice background story. Her reveal wasn't woke.
Female ghostbusters was pure IP vandalism and no one liked that movie.

Get educated.

In the original Metroid manual Samus is referenced as a man.

You don't see her as being woke because it agrees with you.

Nah, man. That's just you desperately trying to cling onto anything in order to legitimize your narrative/perspective.

It seems like you got issues with perceiving everything under a political microscope/lens. I guess there's no sense in pursuing this conversation any further.

I get your point and was just talking about that depending on the perspective somebody is going to get offended. GG, for our discussion.

RaduN

There’s probably conservatives making games. They’re probably the ones who don’t shove their politics and ideology in your face on social media and in their games, and make games that don’t carry any kind of “message”. Maybe because they think that’s not absolutely necessary to make and promote a video game.

Every time a game developer doesn’t put a rainbow flag in their Twitter icon on Pride month. Every time there’s a pretty woman showing a bit of skin in a game. Every time a game with a character creator doesn’t have pronouns options, or a black character, or a nonbinary character. Every time a game dev doesn’t speak up about certain issues. And every time people on the “other side” call some devs Nazis for exaggerated reasons. There’s your conservative creatives, probably.
Nah, that's the moderates.

DareDaniel

Banned
The goal is to normalize it but it ends up having the opposite effect.

Get educated.

In the original Metroid manual Samus is referenced as a man.

You don't see her as being woke because it agrees with you.

I get your point and was just talking about that depending on the perspective somebody is going to get offended. GG, for our discussion.

Ah the "get educated" line, I knew it would come at any moment!

Bruce Willis is a human in Sixth Sense until he's revealed to be a ghost by the end of the movie. Learn what a plot twist is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_twist

BbMajor7th

Progressive social politics probably has the smallest total impact on our everyday lives. Western foreign policy on the other hand has a huge and enduring impact on everything from immigration to economics and is routinely pushed as a heroic narrative in mainstream military shooters. They extol the virtue of the 'might-is-right' military force employed by the West almost entirely to the exclusion of other options. You might agree or disagree, but it is, in every sense, political propaganda - not only a single option in a character creator but the underpinning philosophy of the world's most prolific and popular gaming franchise.

Any conversation about 'politics in games' that does not involve Call of Duty is like talking about 'online search engines' without talking about Google.

JCK75

Being mad at JK Rowling for thinking Men in pigtails don't belong in womens sports even though she's an LGBT ally in every other way is a radical position.
Being annoying at the pronoun trend is not a radical position.

Success

The goal is to normalize it but it ends up having the opposite effect.

Ah the "get educated" line, I knew it would come at any moment!

Bruce Willis is a human in Sixth Sense until he's revealed to be a ghost by the end of the movie. Learn what a plot twist is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_twist

Good response DareDaniel.

I will leave to

BbMajor7th BbMajor7th

properly explain my point. He knows how to discuss.

Chronicle

Yes, I agree ts, but you know why. It's things that have been proven to make us polarized. Facebook and social media feed/affirm our biases.

So those crazy screaming loons actually think they're right even though they're ruining entire countries.

DareDaniel

Banned
Good response DareDaniel.

I will leave to

BbMajor7th BbMajor7th

properly explain my point. He knows how to discuss.
Ahahah, leave it to him because you reached a dead end 😂
Also, no one got hurt with samus being revealed as a woman in metroid. meanwhile, there are so many detransitioners saying that pronouns were their entrance ticket to gender ideology and how it ruined their lives.

Tl;dr people suck for making gaming an agenda setting political battlefield
I think you've misunderstood the function of art.

Hint, art is a reflection of the culture its created in and designed to evoke some kind of reaction in those that see it. The entire point of art is to be a battlefield.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Once again avoiding the entire premise with your air of superiority. How about engage with the analogy. You hire in these new people at a game development company, and they begin involving these social justice practices into the games being made, and people are saying "who asked for this?" Your answer is ..HA these backwards fools are so hateful.

You are finally getting it.

Progressive social politics probably has the smallest total impact on our everyday lives. Western foreign policy on the other hand has a huge and enduring impact on everything from immigration to economics and is routinely pushed as a heroic narrative in mainstream military shooters. They extol the virtue of the 'might-is-right' military force employed by the West almost entirely to the exclusion of other options. You might agree or disagree, but it is, in every sense, political propaganda - not only a single option in a character creator but the underpinning philosophy of the world's most prolific and popular gaming franchise.

Any conversation about 'politics in games' that does not involve Call of Duty is like talking about 'online search engines' without talking about Google.
No argument there. Anybody still supporting the military industrial complex at this point is bought off or blinded by faith etc. I havent played the recent entries into CoD and I dont remember hearing much controversy in the likes of female or gay soldiers, what have you. That was battlefields job haha... But I wonder if CoD was left alone for a reason, it being the dedicated placeholder for neocon agenda..

You are finally getting it.
Cool youre going with condescension now. Keep showing your slimy colors when you originally preached about being open and embracing

thegame983

It's because we have cultivated a society where we listen to retards instead of mocking them.

In a different time these people would have only found work in the freak show of the circus. Now they work for the new York Times and in HR departments.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
A political agenda is just a political theme that you don't agree with.

It's quite easy to agree with a political agenda, but still be critical if that agenda is being given prominence over storytelling or gameplay.

Good art is when politics and social messaging are included in a way that improves a piece of work, not spoils it.

Good art = Deep Space Nine
Bad art = Nu-Trek

Good art = Bioshock
Bad art = Battlefield 5

Good art = Oppenheimer
Bad art = Nearly everything Disney has put out recently

Last edited:

Killer8

You do realize if a prominent western game director created a character like Quiet in present day, and it somehow managed to get through all the corporate filters, they would at the very least never be allowed to work in the business again and possibly even harassed into suicide by deranged leftists. I’m sorry but that’s no small thing in light of the recent surge of hyper masculine, butt ugly girl boss characters. And as far as reducing nuclear stockpiles goes, I wouldn’t exactly consider that some type of far left issue. The INF treaty, which was also referred to in Metal Gear, was signed by Reagan and near unanimous in the congress. Also this is from the perspective of a Japanese native who grew up in post war Japan. I’m sure it has a different meaning to him than some self hating white American leftist that wishes we could have dropped the bomb on the bad whites instead of the bad Asians.

And playing Japanese games isn’t really about thinking Japan is “Based” (although their takes on immigration/views on outsiders would definitely fit under that category) it’s about a cultural escapism from current day shit which is not merely a “surface level” thing as you suggest. These sick people are upending millennia of cultural and biological norms in the span of a decade or two. But a good amount(I never said all) of their games are a fresh return to what was normal a mere decade or so ago. There are no LGBT Mario characters forced upon children, you don’t play as Zelda in lieu of Link

I don't disagree with what you say here about how heated and ridiculous the Western political climate is. I condemn the often sadistic treatment of people who go against the grain as much as anyone, and that is why i'm on Neogaf and not Resetera.

But I think you are turning a blind eye to a lot of things present in Japanese gaming and what their creators think.

Death Stranding features a new straight white male protag which is like a big foot sighting nowadays

Yes, and Death Stranding, in Kojima's own words:

"The attacks and violence seen online these days are out of control. So I designed this for people to take a step back and by connecting, relearn how to be kind to others. I don't think anyone in the world is opposed to that. Trump is building a wall, and the UK is leaving the EU. In this game, we use bridges to connect things. But destroying those bridges can instantly turn them into walls. So bridges and walls are almost synonymous. That's one of the things i'd like the players to think about in the game."

"This is about an era of individualism. Everyone is fragmented, in America or Europe, but at the same time we’re connected by the internet. This magical technology should have made people happy, but we’re battling each other."

It's painfully obvious where Kojima's political views lie and the intention of Death Stranding, whether it was effective at it or not, was to influence the player into the same viewpoint. I'll repeat again that focusing on the race of the character (which was only that way because it was modeled on his buddy Norman Reedus) is surface level stuff. You could say literally skin deep. It misses the forest (ie. we need a more communal, less individualistic world unlike what the right wing is creating) for the trees (the character is white, gaming is saved!!!).

Kojima is not chummy with Hollywood liberals like Guillermo del Toro for no reason.

they remade a classic where a blonde blue eyed straight male rescues a blonde blue eyed typical female

If you are referring to Resident Evil 4, there is a whole range of things which people (*not me personally for some of these points) complained about being woke:

Hunnigan, and i'm surprised no one mentions the merchant too, were race-swapped to black. Really didn't detract from anything.

Ashley no longer wears a skirt and the game prevents you from creeping on her (personally this was mega sad for me). The VR port of the original RE4 to Quest 2 also cut this.

The playful flirtation of Leon with Hunnigan was removed (Leon in general is really de-nutted in the remake). The Hunnigan conversations are now just very dry mission talk. The VR port of the original RE4 to Quest 2 also cut this in a really ham-fisted way by flat out removing lines of dialogue.

Ending dialogue was changed to be more yass queen:

gAP0UJ2.png

9zH51di.png

53cQVsK.png

Removed:

K1mk8Fe.jpg

It's one of the more egregious examples of a game that has been thoroughly sanitized to avoid accusations of sexism. But also not surprising considering the leaked internal Capcom documents showing they are moving in a more politically correct direction:

Yakuza, according to the creator was a “story about men, written by men, primarily for an audience of men.”

I'm glad you brought up Yakuza. Yakuza may have been a “story about men, written by men, primarily for an audience of men.”, and to a large extent that remains true (although the audience for Yakuza now encompasses a broader range than who it was originally aimed at). However, Yakuza: Like a Dragon was one of the most on-the-nose political games i've ever played. A fair warning as there will be some spoilers here. A villain in the game is a group called Bleach Japan, a puritanical NIMBY group which is very reminiscent of socially conservative interest groups, who want to purge Japan of its 'gray zones' where illegal activities like prostitution are more permissible. The leader, Sota Kume, is essentially a Japanese Ben Shapiro, and the group is an arm of the Citizens' Liberal Party, whose leader Ryo Aoki is the major antagonist in the game. People might think 'Liberal' in the name would suggest a left wing nature of the party but anyone who takes even a cursory glance at Japanese politics will see that the long ruling political party in Japan is the "Liberal Democratic Party" - which has a nationalist conservative platform. The CLP is portrayed in the same vein as the LDP and can be viewed as a fictional stand-in. The game doesn't just stop at the ragtag group of outcasts fighting with Bleach Japan in the streets either - you literally run against the CLP in an election. I don't know how all of this can be viewed as anything other than a direct critique of status quo Japanese political conservatism, or at the very least trying to contextualize the experiences of the people it's against.

The game might be about masculinity but it touches on numerous aspects that could be considered left wing particularly in its sub-stories:

j9xxc7h.jpg

VLDabGF.jpg

nhA98tM.jpg

Also if it was Tosh Nagosh that the original quote about it being a “story about men, written by men, primarily for an audience of men.” belonged to - well, he left the company years ago to grab the Chinese NetEase money.

SEGA have also tried to sanitize the image of some aspects which could be considered transphobic in the West, such as the sub-quest in Yakuza 3 where Kiryu is forced to flee a crossdressing NPC and refers to it as, well, "it". This was removed not just in the West but in all regions of the remastered game to comply with, to quote the producer, a change in moral values.

EVL2QjU.png

This is not surprising considering the following:

RGG Studio changes its Twitter icon like every other company during pride month:

WXCZifh.png

Western gay people love Yakuza, and i've hung around plenty of Discords that lean right who absolutely loathe the series, for the exact same reasons.

As for Nintendo, it doesn't really have any examples in its games, I agree. It's purposefully ambiguous in part to get mass appeal. Nintendo's stances as a company though would surely piss off a lot of Shapiro conservatives:

Nintendo Japan Recognizes Same-Sex Marriages, in Defiance of Country’s Laws​

Last edited:

Tangerine

OP: Because nutters are being allowed to rule the asylum. They are actively encouraged by their ideology plus continued successes on their crusade; including capitulation from the masses.

But like I said I believe it's being actively encouraged. Divide and conquer. If we are fighting each other along gender, racial, sexuality etc. We aren't focusing our rage and discontent at those above pulling the strings.

Those fuckers in power out for themselves, actively trying to destroy the economy and increase their power. Widening the gap between rich and poor etc etc. They have an agenda that runs counter to what most of us would consider a fair democratic, free country. That's my opinion after years of paying attention to what's going on.

It's all a distraction.

OP: Because nutters are being allowed to rule the asylum. They are actively encouraged by their ideology plus continued successes on their crusade; including capitulation from the masses.

But like I said I believe it's being actively encouraged. Divide and conquer. If we are fighting each other along gender, racial, sexuality etc. We aren't focusing our rage and discontent at those above pulling the strings.

Those fuckers in power out for themselves, actively trying to destroy the economy and increase their power. Widening the gap between rich and poor etc etc. They have an agenda that runs counter to what most of us would consider a fair democratic, free country. That's my opinion after years of paying attention to what's going on.

It's all a distraction.
This is the correct take at the core. This is real leftist, humanist theory here.

Like the old saying goes, "you go far enough left, you get your guns back".

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
There has always been politics in games like the "woke" Samus reveal.
If you think "Samus being a bikini clad woman" reveal is anything else than the devs happy to draw a sexy sprite and putting it in their game, you my friend are essentially wrong. It is human beings 101

If you absolutely want to find a deeper meaning lets say that at the time when NO girl was playing videogames, seeing one in Metroid's ending made you feel like you spend all your time playing with one, you just didn't know it yet. It was the first intimate moment with a woman for a bunch of 90s kids. It showed you how women were not the frightning creatures you thought but ressourceful people who could achieve great things with your help. And in that way it was extremely woke. But not in the current meaning when you just have to comply with the correct thought pattern and never question the dogma, it was woke in the way sjw will never achieve even tho it is their goal. It was not about giving merits or demerits based on stuff you can do nothing about like birth or sexuality. It was about uplifting everyone and nade you understand and love each other.

Nothing political, everything human.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Games is made by people and people have their own politics and ideology that influence their art they make, wether it’s painting, books, movies or games.

For me devs can make whatever they want, even put their own ideology or politics. At end of the day all want, all I ever wanted is interesting game, if they make interesting game with political or without I’m in.

People say games like new Saint Row, failed because it was ”woke” but to me that game failed because just fucking dry and boring game, woke or not.
The developers themselves probably don't agree ideologically on everything.

It's all a distraction.
I believe you are half correct that we are preoccupied by all the social clashing and unable to focus on fixing/destroying the overhead system. It seems to me thats convenient for them to let us battle instead of actually designing it. There is an active subversion happening that has been set in place decades ago, and the destruction of the West is chugging right along. Powers That Be have their guidebooks and have no personal agency within the system, play along to get their benefits or face the humiliation rituals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom