• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has political ideologues made a battlefield out of gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHA

I don't get it. It's art, it's subjective and its not passive. It is made by people for people of many different thoughts, beliefs and ideas globally for consumption. But it's starting to get to me that people complain about everything. And now I'm complaining about the complaints.

Why is it that the main narrative of "what is gaming" has to be pushed from the cultural biases of people in North America? Both sides have extremities of polarized political agendas? Why can't we enjoy gaming without this drivel of divisive politics trickling into the rest of the world? I feel like I am in the plot of Injustice, only both sides are the regime that need to police my thoughts or enjoyment.

Why can't I play Harry Potter with excitement or Starfield without someone popping a vein? I could care less what people do with a platform of entertainment in their privacy. Give people options. Let your community make of your game without the ire of external agenda setting pressures. Devs should be able to make the games they want to not compromise on the vision. Its freedom of expression for the subject at hand. You don't have to like it. Don't buy it or support it but don't rob people of their enjoyment.

We've let ridiculously sensitive people hijack the industry who have no lives outside of the need to feel important by thinking they're making some sort of change in a medium thats supposed to promote all forms of creative expression, only to create an even more toxic environment.

There is so much more, from the rampant fanboyism, shady journalistic practices, corporate greed etc but those are topics for another day.

Tl;dr people suck for making gaming an agenda setting political battlefield.
I get what you say but the contents we have these days aren't varied, it's really hard for 10 peoples to not have something in common in some way or the other.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Art has always been political, poets called for revolutions, playwrights wrote about conspiracies, illustrators drew political propaganda etc... etc...

And games are made by artists, writers, illustrators, directors much like films and books will mirror some of their political ideologies whatever they are into their artwork.

Turning an artform into a battlefield isn't new and as soon as the technology in video games allowed for more expressiveness with better graphics and voice acting it was inevitable, they get more serious.

Now as for why people keep fighting on social media, well two things. Social media gave a voice to everyone with an internet connection, so conversations are going to be more crowded and we're seeing a growing cultural rift between conservative and liberal in the US that is pouring into every art medium especially with social media galvanizing people on both sides.

No. Art has not always been political. Sometimes art is just a goofy picture or silly fat plumber saving a princess.

Just because you *can* look at anything through a political lens doesn't mean you should and doesn't mean that was the intent of the creator.

We got cry babies complaining about the lack of diversity in FF16, and cry babies complaining about being able to pick your pronouns in Starfield. Then both sides complain the other side are snowflakes, the culture war brain rot is real.
Oh cool it's one of those "both sides" non-arguments that only gets posted to make you feel better than everyone. Take your own examples.. they are the same problem.. one is pushing for creating change that nobody asked for, and the other is criticizing a change made that nobody asked for. Who keeps wanting these changes?

Red5

No. Art has not always been political. Sometimes art is just a goofy picture or silly fat plumber saving a princess.

Just because you *can* look at anything through a political lens doesn't mean you should and doesn't mean that was the intent of the creator.

Didn't mean to say all art has to be political but that it has always been part of politics, of course stuff like Dumb and Dumber or Crash Bandicoot aren't political.

But art, and video games being art, for the most part reflect whatever political trends the world is seeing. Post 9/11 we saw many video games about the war on terror, set in Afghanistan or Iraq, same for movies, comics and books. In the 90's it was about the post-Soviet collapse, now it's about gender identity.

What I'm saying is seeing real life politics reflected in video games, movies, books isn't something new, but the intensity of the discourse these days is being amplified by social media and influencers.

Twitter is going nuts over the Starfield pronouns thing. People are mad about it and then you have people who are mad about the people who are mad about it. A vicious circle indeed. I'm watching people who are friends or mutuals with other people unfollowing those people because of it. It's a real mess right now.

proandrad

Oh cool it's one of those "both sides" non-arguments that only gets posted to make you feel better than everyone. Take your own examples.. they are the same problem.. one is pushing for creating change that nobody asked for, and the other is criticizing a change made that nobody asked for. Who keeps wanting these changes?
Except there is. Isn't there a whole other gaming forum with people on the "other side," that are specifically asking for that change.

Hunnybun

I wish we could get past this stupid idea that games are art merely by virtue of game development being a creative medium.

Like any piece of media, a game is art if and only if it meets the definition of art, which is of course pretty subjective anyway.

The Expendables is a film but it is not art, and "Inside", say, is not a painting or a sculpture but it is a game AND art.

Last edited:
Historically, many artists (video game devs in this case) identify as activists and/or feel like putting messages in their art. It’s just that much of the artistic activism or messaging is particularly looney and preachy right now. It’s always been there, but it’s just worse than usual now.

bender

What time is it?
When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Hudo

These types of conversations happened before as well, just in a significantly smaller scope and not for everyone to see. Twitter and social media in general gave people the idea that it might be "peak freedom/peak democracy" if platforms were provided where everyone can voice his/her opinions publicly for everyone to see. Unfortunately, 99% of stuff that people have to say and share is just shit. And even worse: The people on these platforms started to segregate into subsets determined by "interests" and these subsets just serve as reinforcing echo chambers, where people pat themselves and each other on the back for their shit.

And retards being retarded when discussing games or really anything is just a consequence of that. That being said, in real life, those who scream the loudest on the internet are usually the quietest, And thank fuck for that.

Twitter and other social media platforms are the perfect example of why direct democracy is a bad idea and for all the flaws representative democracy has, it's still vastly superior when confronted with a populace like that.

Last edited:
I wish we could get past this stupid idea that games are art merely by virtue of game development being a creative medium.

Like any piece of media, a game is art if and only if it meets the definition of art, which is of course pretty subjective anyway.

The Expendables is a film but it is not art, and "Inside", say, is not a painting or a sculpture but it is a game AND art.

“The Expendables” is art to many people, because as you say, the definition of art is subjective.

Hayabusa83

Banned
I don't have a problem with people putting pronouns in their games, I simply don't play them. I do have a problem with the normalization and even celebration of mental health issues though.

Laieon

No. Art has not always been political.

What? Art has absolutely always been political (or, at the very least, ideological if we go back far enough to a time when "politics" wasn't a concrete thing yet), but not all art has fit that description. Sometimes, yeah, it's just a funny picture, but lets not pretend that's always the case either.

Looking at prehistorical art (probably, it's too old to really know for sure) in the form of cave paintings and other early art forms propped up religion, rituals, and various groups and tribes.

By the time we got to Mesopotamia and ancient art, we see kings, queens, priests, and other political leaders utilize it to promote and deify themselves, push their religion, gods, and/or other propagandize their viewpoints. From then on, that never really changed.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
What? Art has absolutely always been political (or, at the very least, ideological if we go back far enough to a time when "politics" wasn't a concrete thing yet), but not all art has fit that description. Sometimes, yeah, it's just a funny picture, but lets not pretend that's always the case either.

Looking at prehistorical art (probably, it's too old to really know for sure) in the form of cave paintings and other early art forms propped up religion, rituals, and various groups and tribes.

By the time we got to Mesopotamia and ancient art, we see kings, queens, priests, and other political leaders utilize it to promote and deify themselves, push their religion, gods, and/or other propagandize their viewpoints. From then on, that never really changed.

Politics using art != Art is political.

Political associations have always used art, but not all art is inherently political.

Last edited:

Killer8

There is no “both sides are bad” with this issue. Virtually all Western games are left wing. I can’t think of a single notable game in recent recent memory with even milquetoast, Ben Shapiro-esque right wing themes. The Hogwarts controversy is completely outside of anything to do with the actual game, which has the player pronouns and trans characters. And plus, JK Rowling is an old guard feminist. The entire controversy is an intra-left wing dispute. Comparing Hogwarts boycotters to the fat bald soy-raging British dude who reached a boiling point (admittedly embarrassingly so) to years of woke diarrhea spritzed over everything is a major false equivalency. The discord/resetera trans folks have the luxury of boycotting one game. If you want to not play a game with modern left wing politics, then you literally can’t play anything western made in recent memory or for the foreseeable future.

I can’t believe so many have been gaslit into thinking the the complainers of woke are worse than the woke. You can easily avoid online people with opinions. You can’t avoid the content of the game unless you abandon the hobby completely. Or just stick to Japanese games like I do.

Many, many Japanese games (as well as anime and movies) could be considered as thematically left-wing.

People clap like seals when a Japanese game has big tits or doesn't bend the knee to weird pronoun stuff, or some other surface level shite, but are then totally oblivious to the deeper messaging present in their works.

Metal Gear Solid V:

"Wow, Kojima sure is a chad putting in Quiet's massive gazongas to piss off the feminists"

MTi9rCR.jpg

Also Metal Gear Solid V:

Nuclear weapons have the capability to destroy us all. As more and more people get access to these weapons, the potential for catastrophe increases. Only complete disarmament and pacifism can save us from our doom.

Now here's an Obama quote in the secret nuclear deterrence ending to hammer the message home:

y2VpWpe.png

Based Japan, amirite?

DaGwaphics

Why can't you play Hogwarts Legacy or Starfield without people popping a vein?

That wasn't repeating your question, I'm asking you back. It's your decision what you play and enjoy. Just Like it's other people's decision and prerogative to find different value or disservice in those same games.

Just as you're welcome to make this topic, so are others to make topics of their own choosing, with neither the condemnation or self righteousness as caveats.

I hear you and @ Fahdis Fahdis both. While I agree with your "just don't give a shit about what someone else thinks and do your own thing" vibe, I can see where it can put you in an awkward feeling spot if the peer group you are used to interacting with sees you playing a game they deem as "bad" (maybe they are on your friends list or whatever). And then there is the impact that this type of thing can have on the devs themselves as they may feel pressured not to include something in a game they otherwise would for fear of the fallout (which I think is part of the point @ Fahdis Fahdis was making also.

I guess the easiest solution is just to not get overly entrenched into social media and block users that try and give you a hard time about silly things that shouldn't be a cause of concern (like the video game you are currently playing or the TV/Films you like).

Woggleman

All art is not political but political art has always existed. I see no issue with it existing. Gaming just like anything else has been infected with this polarization that we see today. People these days will politicize a glass of water.

Pejo

In my opinion, it's because ideologues with generally good/stable lives became game developers and writers. Since they haven't had many severe hardships in their life, they push these perceived ones and with social media adding in that "chemical x" to make it blow up. It caused a whole self-reinforcing feedback loop.

They could say obvious stuff like "Racism bad! Sexism bad!" and everyone pats them on the back saying "good job, way to fight those bigots!" which creates a positive feedback loop. Then before you know it, nobody cares about making things fun anymore or making good compelling stories because that won't get them social media pats on the back.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Twitter is going nuts over the Starfield pronouns thing. People are mad about it and then you have people who are mad about the people who are mad about it. A vicious circle indeed. I'm watching people who are friends or mutuals with other people unfollowing those people because of it. It's a real mess right now.

I'm not watching any of it and am better off for it in my opinion.

vpance

If you see how Gamergate started then you'll see how the mind virus first got its big foothold in the gaming industry, and on forums like this one. But now it's everywhere.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Its not just videogames its everything

one of the reasons is that they see creativity and expression as 'immoral' and obsess over control

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
The internet causes people to think that being a toxic asshole is productive, because being a toxic asshole drives engagement.

In terms of politics, I think creative people tend to be less conservative because looking at the world in a more fluid way, traditional norms are something you want to break in creative stories. In general, being less realistic and more imaginative is gonna unconsciously make more more progressive in terms of views.

Couple that with the fact creative field tend to attract a diverse set of people. As a creator, you naturally make the product that appeals to you.
And as a creator, you naturally want to make a product that appeals to as many people as possible.

This causes a lot of artworks to be considered political if you look for it. Even when it's not even consciously political.
Even a basic ass decision, such a me making an indian main character - can be considered political to some, and will piss off someone for one reason or another.

Pejo

I've played plenty of fun games, watched plenty of fun movies, and read plenty of fun books this year, last year, and every year I can remember. This seems more of a "you" issue.
Taste is subjective etc etc.

Having low standards also can help, not saying you do though, of course.

This topic is in the frame of games that are obvious politics bait, not games or entertainment in general.

Laieon

In terms of politics, I think creative people tend to be less conservative because looking at the world in a more fluid way, traditional norms are something you want to break in creative stories. In general, being less realistic and more imaginative is gonna unconsciously make more more progressive in terms of views.

Maybe, but I think painting creative people as being "less conservative" because they're "more imaginative" is a really weird way to paint it when you consider that conservatives tend to be more religious (ie: believe in imaginary entities) and willing to reject science and fact-based evidence (you don't get more realistic than that) when compared to liberals/progressives.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It’s only a battle if you choose to fight. I am just enjoying games and don’t give these things the time of day.

Pejo

Is having the option to choose your referenced gender in Starfield obvious political bait?
Yes? It was added for a very politically charged reason to pander to a very specific demographic that often causes lots of bemoaning both ways. Look at twitter and this very thread.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Really? There's lots of games that do that for a more customizable experience. It's an RPG. This feature is very benign.

It was added for a very politically charged reason to pander to a very specific demographic that often causes lots of bemoaning both ways.

How do you know it was added for that reason and not because it's an RPG with customizability options? As far as both ways bemoaning, it only seems like one way is bemoaning based on the video in the OP.

Look at twitter and this very thread.

I'd rather not look at Twitter more than I have to, and getting mad over a nothingburger like this is the height of snowflakery.

Pejo

Really? There's lots of games that do that for a more customizable experience. It's an RPG. This feature is very benign.
So why not just have the option to make a male character and be referred as "he" or female charater and then you're a "she"? Why go the extra steps to make it interchangeable? Why not go a Monster Hunter route and go Body 1 and Body 2, then let you pick? Because once again it's pandering to a very specific demographic. Just because you're ducking your head in the sand and pretending it isn't doesn't make it true.
How do you know it was added for that reason and not because it's an RPG with customizability options? As far as both ways bemoaning, it only seems like one way is bemoaning based on the video in the OP.
iu

I'd rather not look at Twitter more than I have to, and getting mad over a nothingburger like this is the height of snowflakery.
Projecting that i'm getting mad about this is pretty juvenile, honestly. I was just giving my opinion and discussing, same as anyone else.

Your argument here is in extremely bad faith.

Raonak

Banned
Maybe, but I think painting creative people as being "less conservative" because they're "more imaginative" is a really weird way to paint it when you consider that conservatives tend to be more religious (ie: believe in imaginary entities) and willing to reject science and fact-based evidence (you don't get more realistic than that) when compared to liberals/progressives.
The difference is that religious people aren't creating the stories of their religion. Growing up in a religious household, alternate creative interpretations of god are actively discouraged. It's the difference between faith and imagination, because to religious people, they literally view god as real, their view of god comes straight from their religious stories and not as something that comes from their own imagination.

Not to say religious people aren't creative, because you can channel faith to works of art (songs and paintings)

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So why not just have the option to make a male character and be referred as "he" or female charater and then you're a "she"? Why go the extra steps to make it interchangeable? Why not go a Monster Hunter route and go Body 1 and Body 2, then let you pick?

Because that doesn't have as many options and permutations as the way Starfield does it. If you're going with the "why not" line of reasoning, So why not just let Starfield give players the option to directly choose their referential pronouns? This is what makes English work.

Because once again it's pandering to a very specific demographic. Just because you're ducking your head in the sand and pretending it isn't doesn't make it true.

You keep asserting this but you don't have any facts to back this up. Just your feelings. I prefer the former when constructing arguments.

Care to actually answer my question instead of dodging the question? If you can't answer it, that doesn't make your line of reasoning look very sound.

Projecting that i'm getting mad about this is pretty juvenile, honestly. I was just giving my opinion and discussing, same as anyone else.

Your argument here is in extremely bad faith.

For one, I wasn't talking about you, nor did I single you out in the "getting mad" part. I was talking about the people online who are mad at this benign feature are exhibiting high levels of snowflakery. Therefore, I, who doesn't care about this customizability feature in a customizable RPG, am not going to get mad about it. Perhaps I'm not the one projecting here.

I have brought reasonable facts to the argument and have not made any assertions that are unsubstantiated. I also have a desire to communicate the issue honestly and have not made any disparaging assumptions towards you. This means that I am arguing in good faith. You, however, have accused me of being an ostrich while it is obvious that I am a cute and cuddly BDSM hamster.

Astral Dog

This is like a new trend by these 'intelectuals' to judge videogames merely through a political view and claim they need to follow modern politics to a slavishly degree to be considered good products

Yes, as videogame storytelling evolved,more complex themes have been introduced some of them dealing with 'serious' topics like war, but videogames have been made with the intention of having a good time, and selling units , they are 100% products of capitalism they weren't created to incentive players to vote for a political party

What is the message of a Kirby game?Mario Bros is just about jumping on turtles ,Sonic had a few things i seen these weirdos latch on like dr .Robotnik but that is not really something the target audience will catch on or suppose to care about ,its irrelevant to their characters their business model centers on selling these games to kids

certain games like DmC rely on political themes and satire,its a critic of capitalism or something made by Capcom of all companies,it was so dumb even part of the audience disliked it

Anyways, its all part of their effort to politicize everything 😪

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
We've let ridiculously sensitive people hijack the industry who have no lives outside of the need to feel important by thinking they're making some sort of change in a medium thats supposed to promote all forms of creative expression, only to create an even more toxic environment.

They can only hijack it if you allow them to.

And by “they” I don’t mean one particular side either. Both sides cry equally and both are nauseating.

Last edited:

Pejo

Because that doesn't have as many options and permutations as the way Starfield does it. If you're going with the "why not" line of reasoning, So why not just let Starfield give players the option to directly choose their referential pronouns? This is what makes English work.
I haven't played Starfield yet, so I can't argue about how they do it past what I've read in the various drama. What's more, I don't personally care about having pronouns in games, I will continue to just pick whatever matches my character and move on with my day. If you say that the character creator is done in such a way that this pronouns selector is required or makes sense within the confines of the system, I have to believe you.
You keep asserting this but you don't have any facts to back this up. Just your feelings. I prefer the former when constructing arguments.
Fair point. I don't have facts to back that up. I also am not ignorant of the general sentiments and hiring practices of the western game development community where perhaps the cooks making the soup are putting just a bit too many personal touches. But again, that is just a feeling, I don't have hiring documents and profiles on every developer working in the industry. Sometimes inference is necessary unless you plan on doing full 7 week audits on everything you make a message about in a videogame entertainment forum.
Care to actually answer my question instead of dodging the question? If you can't answer it, that doesn't make your line of reasoning look very sound.
To address your question directly, I don't have a single shred of evidence. I guess this is called "going with your gut".
For one, I wasn't talking about you, nor did I single you out in the "getting mad" part. I was talking about the people online who are mad at this benign feature are exhibiting high levels of snowflakery. Therefore, I, who doesn't care about this customizability feature in a customizable RPG, am not going to get mad about it. Perhaps I'm not the one projecting here.
My apologies about that then, I felt that it was a dig at me trying to paint me as acting out of anger when I made my post.
Whitney Houston GIF

MiguelItUp

I've played plenty of fun games, watched plenty of fun movies, and read plenty of fun books this year, last year, and every year I can remember. This seems more of a "you" issue.
This is typically how I feel about it majority of the time, at least with the ones that get upset and tilted about anything. It generally feels like those affected are just looking for things to get upset about. It's so nice to just shrug it off, see passed it, not be affected by it, etc. It IS possible to still enjoy plenty of things without raging about something or somone's opinion, perspective, or view of something.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Fair point. I don't have facts to back that up. I also am not ignorant of the general sentiments and hiring practices of the western game development community where perhaps the cooks making the soup are putting just a bit too many personal touches. But again, that is just a feeling, I don't have hiring documents and profiles on every developer working in the industry. Sometimes inference is necessary unless you plan on doing full 7 week audits on everything you make a message about in a videogame entertainment forum.

To address your question directly, I don't have a single shred of evidence. I guess this is called "going with your gut".

Cool. All I'm saying is that the dude in the OP is massively overreacting, and that there really isn't any good reason to think that Starfield is obvious political bait aside from just feeling like it is, and I don't think that's enough. Not enough to throw that degree of a tantrum that British guy did.

hamster mesmerizing GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom