• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Japanese PS4 commercial

Endo Punk

This ad is for Japan? If anything the vibe I got from this ad is very anti-Japan. It basically says that we have the world so fuck you Japan get on board or get out.

Wonder if the Japanese feel hyped about the ps4 or insulted that the rest of the world got a Japan-based console before them?

But anyway, excellent advert.

Elvick

Banned
Looks like a horrible commercial for Japan. Did the US agency make it or something?

Even the music didn't seem right for Japan. And rubbing it in that other places of the world got it before them is hardly a good idea to me.

Error404

Banned
That's exactly what I said. How is this commercial going to get Japanese gamers hyped?
it isn't. why would you advertise a console to gamers when you know they will buy it anyway.its not like hardcore Japanese gamers have any other options

Kimawolf

Yeah, don't seem like they really want the Japanese to buy the thing to me. But it's Sony, the most un Japanese Japanese company there is at the moment.

Elvick

Banned
it isn't. why would you advertise a console to gamers when you know they will buy it anyway.its not like hardcore Japanese gamers have any other options
That doesn't explain why this commercial exists. Unless you're saying this commercial isn't to advertise the PS4.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Why can't I hold all these japanese games in the commerc... oh wait
That's the thing, I feel like the commercial does a better job getting everyone else excited about their own launches (and Japan joining in), than getting the Japanese excited about its release. Not even a whisper of FFXIV, Dynasty Warriors or Nobunaga's Ambition in there. Just a couple guaranteed flops like Knack, Playroom, Infamous and Killzone.

Sinfamy

You know what, I think it may work.
Maybe the Japanese are tired of having everyone try to cater to them as an alien species.
No need for obscure J-Pop, Vocaloid or abstract ad.

Everyone expects something weird simply because its Japan, those aren't successful.
Look at the impact Apple had over the hundreds of local manufacturers.

That commercial doesn't look particularly Japanese.

What constitute a Japanese ad for you? More wackiness perhaps? Some animu threw in the mix?

It basically says that we have the world so fuck you Japan get on board or get out.

Really? I didn't get the "fuck you Japan", but I am not an expert in Japanese culture like some of the people that are starting to show in this thread.

Edit:

Looks like a horrible commercial for Japan. Did the US agency make it or something?

Even the music didn't seem right for Japan. And rubbing it in that other places of the world got it before them is hardly a good idea to me.
That was a terrible advert that seem to be geared toward Western market rather than the Japanese market.
Why would anyone hold crap?

Yep, the Japanese experts are already here, by the tone of their posts they seem, dare I say... Mad?

Into

"PS4 is successful in the rest of the world, so whatever, buy it Japan.. i guess"

Joking aside, its a cool commercial

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That's a terrible approach to have, There's already been a mass exodus from console gaming to mobile in Japan already. Treating them like is just going to push them anyway even further and may even make it bomb like the Vita did.

Elvick

Banned
That's the thing, I feel like the commercial does a better job getting everyone else excited about their own launches (and Japan joining in), than getting the Japanese excited about its release. Not even a whisper of FFXIV in there. Just a couple guaranteed flops like Knack, Playroom, Infamous and Killzone.
Playroom is on every console... it's not sold to people, it's pre-installed software. And they get Knack for free in Japan for the delay...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Playroom is on every console... it's not sold to people, it's pre-installed software. And they get Knack for free in Japan for the delay...
I'm just listing the games shown. Whatever will show up at retail, will flop. Whatever is packed in, is packed in and doesn't come into play.

I dunno. The commercial was pretty cool to me.
Like an invitation to go beyond the velvet rope.
The party just started, everyone's got a drink in 'em.
Come on in Japan, show the world how to make it hype.

Or they could have a commercial with the quick cuts of the jp launch window games, then cut to Ground Zeroes Snake, "Kept you waiting, huh?"
PS4.

Daedardus

So what games are they going to try to sell them? The fact that this commercial is light on games makes it obvious that they won't focus on Japanese games for now.

Takao

Banned
So what games are they going to try to sell them? The fact that this commercial is light on games makes it obvious that they won't focus on Japanese games for now.

Dengeki reports that this ad will only run for a week. So I'd expect to see more commercials with a focus on Yakuza Ishinn, Deep Down, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends, etc as we get closer to launch.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What constitute a Japanese ad for you? More wackiness perhaps? Some animu threw in the mix?.

1. It doesn't highlight any Japanese games. Why not at least put in something like the Mosou game they're getting?
2. It doesn't have any Japanese people in it.
3. The music in the background is not Japanese.
4. All of the quick cuts is really a very Western-style of editing.

It doesn't have to be wacky or animu in order to be catering to the Japanese audience. But this looks more like a post-launch brag reel for the international audience up until the very end. Hell you could still edit this commercial and use it for the US or Europe.

Marc

"Even Gaijin love this shit! Get on board and play Knack, its better than Mario."

Weird advert, not crazy enough and too western... needed more dragons, robots and monsters destroying stuff. *watches 'hologram' dragon in Rome, robots in playroom and giant knack stomping on crap all godzilla like* Hmm... wait.

Top Bottom