• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Big Publisher] is the worst thing that ever happened to [Purchased Developer]

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
This came out of a couple of other threads:

[Big Publisher] is the worst thing that ever happened to [Purchased Developer]

I've only worked up two of the first variables so far:

EA is the worst thing to have happened to Popcap.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Bioware.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Bullfrog.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Pandemic.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Criterion.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Westwood Studios.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Visceral. Formed by EA as an internal studio
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Origin.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Dice.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Maxis.

Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to High Moon Studios.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Radical Entertainment.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Infinity Ward.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Neversoft.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Sierra.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to RedOctane.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Luxoflux.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Bizarre Creations.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Infocom.
Activision Blizzard is the worst thing that ever happened to Blizzard, which before that was the worst thing that ever happened to Swingin' Apre Studios.

Would honestly love if somebody could insert two variables and get <> True out of it. Offhand maybe if variable #1 = Valve?

Thanks to Jotamide for the original EA half of the equation, and Halfbeast for reminding me about Origin.

EDIT: MORE GOOD ONES BASED ON SUGGESTIONS:

Microsoft is the worst thing that ever happened to Rare.
Microsoft is the worst thing that ever happened to FASA.
Microsoft is the worst thing that ever happened to Ensemble.
Microsoft is the worst thing that ever happened to Lionhead. (?)

Konami is the worst thing that ever happened to Hudson.

Sony is the worst thing that happened to Psygnosis.
Sony is the worst thing that happened to Sony Liverpool. (?)

Ubisoft is the worst thing that ever happened to Nadeo.

SquareEnix is the worst thing that ever happened to EIDOS, which before that was the worst thing that ever happened to Core.
SquareEnix is the worst thing that ever happened to Taito.
SquareEnix is the worst thing that ever happened to SquareSoft. (?)

THE BRIGHT SIDE

Activision is the NOT worst thing that ever happened to Treyarch.
Nintendo is the NOT worst thing that ever happened to MonolithSoft.

YET TO BE SEEN

Sega & Platinum Games
Sega & Atlus
EA & RespawnNot owned by EA
Zenimax & id

Nokterian

Goddamn..hurts so mutch.

crying-waterfalls.gif

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
...then people will end up resenting them just as they do EA/Popcap.

Aim_Ed

I never understood the Activision/Blizzard one. If anything, since their formation Blizzard has been more productive.

I just don't understand how Activision deserves flak for Blizzard's shortcomings/lackluster releases.

Enix was the worst thing to happen to Squaresoft.

Activision ---> Neversoft

EA to Visceral

Microsoft to Rareware...oh rareware :'[

Imbarkus

***Cough***realmoneyauctionhouse***cough***

Well maybe these are things where it does not count for:

2K Games is the worst thing to have happened to Irrational Games.

or

2K Games is the worst thing to have happened to Fireaxis Studios.

Both are arguably not true. Know there are plenty of haters of their output afterwards though. But worst thing?

Also Naughty Dog and Sony. Probably other Sony studios too.

epmode

Watching Activision slowly bleed Blizzard is awful but no one can beat beat EA for pure industry hostility.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I suppose it still remains to be seen with Ubisoft/Redlynx

that Trials Evo PC port was pretty shoddy though

It certainly has seemed that way for Ubisoft/Nadeo

ZServ

I never understood the Activision/Blizzard one. If anything, since their formation Blizzard has been more productive.

I just don't understand how Activision deserves flak for Blizzard's shortcomings/lackluster releases.

Yeah, I don't get this one either. It's not like Activision buying them suddenly made them lazy-- they were going down this path long before Activision stepped in.

id being purchased by Bethesda was awful. Not that id seemed to know what they were doing anyway, but truthfully, I'd have rather seen them just shut down and never get another Doom, Quake, or Wolfenstein game as opposed to whatever crap Bethesda will push out now that they own those licenses.

terrisus

EA is the worst thing to happen to Origin
To think that the company responsible for the amazing Ultima games is now just synonomous with a download service is very depressing.

Also, Square is the worst thing to happen to Enix.
Enix should have just let Square die off in their folly.

Sentenza

Origin is still the one that hurts the most for me, subjectively, just because I used to be a Ultima fanatic, but Westwood Studios is probably EA's worst crime from a more objective standpoint.

I'm not even sure there was any other studio capable of being so consistently stellar across such a wide variety of genres and products:
Dune 2, Command & Conquer, Legend of Kyrandia, Lands of Lore, Blade Runner, Eye of The Beholder, Nox, Battletech...
And then EA turned them in some dull incubator for rushed Command & Conquer serialized products.

Uh screwing the pooch on their biggest franchise in the west by fucking up item balance to push players to a real money trading system and make more money doesn't count?

Imbarkus

I thought the Pandemic closure was a bunch of bull too. Saboteur was great!

Well maybe:

2K Games is the worst thing to have happened to Irrational Games.

or

2K Games is the worst thing to have happened to Fireaxis Studios.

Both are arguably not true. Know there are plenty of haters of their output afterwards though. But worst thing?

Also Naughty Dog and Sony. Probably other Sony studios too.
A pretty decent amount of Sony's studios were purchased (ND, SP, GG?, Bend, Liverpool, Cambridge). Worked out pretty well for must of them, but our hearts will never heal from the loss of Psygnosis.

Imbarkus

I thought Liverpool got a raw deal too.

Lately, it feels like what has happened to DICE after the EA purchase is really really bad. Not only have they only done Battlefield, they're not particularly good at it. First they dropped most of their own ideas to chase after Battlefield, and now they're releasing bugfests while doing it.

epmode

EA is the worst thing to happen to Origin
To think that the company responsible for the amazing Ultima games is now just synonomous with a download service is very depressing.

EA renaming EA Download Manger to Origin is fucking criminal. It's spitting on the grave of one of the all-time best developers. Even worse when you consider that they played a big part in its death.

terrisus

The problem was never the AH, the problem was that you could play three hundred hours and only find shit. I think I was paragon lvl 80 when I quit, having only found shit for virtually all paragon levels.

If anything the gold AH allowed me to upgrade my equipment. The old trading system from D2 was much, much worse.

Exactly. There were certainly issues with the games, but people pretending the issues were just the AHs, and that getting rid of them is some magical solution, was completely missing the point.
Those underlying issues should have been addressed, with the AHs left alone. Getting rid of the AHs make the game significantly worse than it was.

Imbarkus

Lately, it feels like what has happened to DICE after the EA purchase is really really bad. Not only have they only done Battlefield, they're not particularly good at it. First they dropped most of their own ideas to chase after Battlefield, and now they're releasing bugfests while doing it.

Don't forget Medal of Honor multiplayer! Hot!

lt519

Microsoft ---> Bungie

If you were a fan of the Myth games. Arguably stunted their growth anyway, I mean look at destiny.

Edit: I guess they weren't purchased so I fail. But still, fuck you MS I want my Myth back!

Imbarkus

I really hope we never have to say

Activision: bungie

Usually Activision acquires everybody. The last significant 3rd party developer i can think of who published through Activision was Silicon Knights.

EDIT:

But Microsoft didn't buy Bizarre, Activision did.

Got that tragedy covered in the OP.

Top Bottom