• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Big Publisher] is the worst thing that ever happened to [Purchased Developer]

This came out of a couple of other threads:

[Big Publisher] is the worst thing that ever happened to [Purchased Developer]

I've only worked up two of the first variables so far:

EA is the worst thing to have happened to Popcap.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Bioware.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Bullfrog.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Pandemic.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Criterion.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Westwood Studios.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Visceral.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Origin.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Dice.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Maxis.

Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to High Moon Studios.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Radical Entertainment.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Infinity Ward.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Neversoft.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Sierra.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to RedOctane.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Luxoflux.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Bizarre Creations.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Infocom.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Blizzard.

Would honestly love if somebody could insert two variables and get <> True out of it. Offhand maybe if variable #1 = Valve?
Came for this.

Also:

EA distilling Bioware's RPG making spirit has been a travesty.

I also remember when Ubisoft was in fear of a takeover/buyout by EA; Ubisoft was able to them off.

Good for Ubisoft.

Watching Activision slowly bleed Blizzard is awful but no one can beat beat EA for pure industry hostility.

Activision have no power over Blizzard. Shit like the always online, auction house Diablo 3 and splitting Starcraft II into three games was entirely their doing.

Enosh

[Microsoft] is the worst thing that ever happened to [Rareware].

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707691
I'll never get this one
didn't MS allow them to make pretty much whatever after they bought them for some 300 million?
only for them to make 4 or 5 flops in a row
can't say I'm surprised at publisher wanting to get something back out of such a huge investment
allowing them to continue to make games everyone and their grandmother knew would flop hard isn't doing anyone any good

really the only ones to blame here are Rare, they didn't notice or didn't give a fuck that the market is changing and that they are not on a nintendo platform anymore and that the userbase is different
it's like ND making another mascot platformer for the PS3 instead of Uncharted or SP continuing with sly instead of going the infamous route, it might have pleased some fans but that's about it

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Activision have no power over Blizzard. Shit like the always online, auction house Diablo 3 and splitting Starcraft II into three games was entirely their doing.

d1zxa.gif

Blizzard changed, man. You can't see that?

fb7de634090ede330e5ee9b2b68dd3d3.png

Google search. "Menade du" is Swedish for "did you mean".

?

They basically gave Irrational all the money and time they wanted and gave them free hands. Sounds like a dream-publisher to me.

A pretty decent amount of Sony's studios were purchased (ND, SP, GG?, Bend, Liverpool, Cambridge). Worked out pretty well for must of them, but our hearts will never heal from the loss of Psygnosis.

Er, I was listing exceptions as a reaction to the OP. Should probably have made that more clear. And Guerilla Games indeed is a Sony studio.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Trying to find EA or Activision purchased studios that don't fit the formula.

Treyarch? Maxis?

:p

Imbarkus

So that leaves Treyarch as literally the only studio that's better off after being bought by Activision?

Blizzard went to the dark side on their own.

Maybe there was some evil osmosis or something. :)

Aylinato

So that leaves Treyarch as literally the only studio that's better off after being bought by Activision?

Maybe there was some evil osmosis or something. :)

Chris Metzen making every story line his own personal romantic (what I would call fan fiction) stories where he inserted himself into the games.

ShinMaruku

I never understood the Activision/Blizzard one. If anything, since their formation Blizzard has been more productive.

I just don't understand how Activision deserves flak for Blizzard's shortcomings/lackluster releases.

True. Whatever people blame Bobby for they forget Blizzard had those ideas first. Is it not incncievable that some people just make bad decisions?

Corto

Ubisoft was the worst thing to happen to THQ Montreal and Patrice Desilets in particular. That's some mobster grudge war bullshit without the deaths.

Sentenza

Westwood dying was the most shocking news. They were gold makers in the 90s. only similar news would be Activsion closing Blizzard now.
Yeah, they used to be a god-tier studio. Incredibly successful both in terms of quality/critical acclaim and sales.
At some point they had like 5-6% of the PC market on their own, according to some headlines.
Then EA decided they wanted a taste of it and bought the golden goose...

Sheroking

Trying to find EA or Activision purchased studios that don't fit the formula.

Treyarch? Maxis?

:p

Even though they list it in the OP, the idea that Activision was the worst thing for Infinity Ward is a pretty big joke.

I mean, if you just want to look at it is as the internet opinion of a loud minority - sure, but otherwise everybody is ungodly rich thanks to that marriage.

Berordn

Chris Metzen making every story line his own personal romantic (what I would call fan fiction) stories where he inserted himself into the games.

And refusing to kill off characters created under his reign. Garrosh should be dead. He was supposed to take Taran Zhu with him.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Worried for Sega acquiring Atlus; while we have yet to see fruits of Zenimax (owner of Bethesda) acquiring id Software.
If somehow, localizations stop happening on the Atlus side, many people are going to be very angry.

Zachi

Banned
Microsoft and EA are the worst offenders in this category

funny how these two names come up again and again when it comes to screwing up the industry

Harlequin

I'd also say that the publishing side of Ubisoft is the worst thing to happen to its development studios, considering what's happened to the AC franchise (or to Prince of Persia, for that matter, or THQ Montreal,...).

Nintendo is the worst thing ever happen to camelot/shining force
Shining Force fans, maybe, but not Camelot in general. The first two Golden Sun games were excellent and most of the Mario Tennis/Golf games are good. World Tour is also shaping up to be promising and the delay means they probably aren't rushing it *coughMTOcough*

And going from Sega to Nintendo at that time was not really stupid, if you consider what happened afterward...

Imbarkus

Even though they list it in the OP, the idea that Activision was the worst thing for Infinity Ward is a pretty big joke.

I mean, if you just want to look at it is as the internet opinion of a loud minority - sure, but otherwise everybody is ungodly rich thanks to that marriage.

Can we agree that their game quality peaked three or four titles ago? What's going to shake out from that?

Were West and Zampella mostly motivated by "their" vision of Infinity Ward, or a vision of long-term health for the studio?

I agree it's a tough one.

Top Bottom