• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Big Publisher] is the worst thing that ever happened to [Purchased Developer]

Riki

Nintendo buying Monolithsoft.

Xenoblade isn't a good game. It's not even Monolithsoft's best game. It only seems good because the last generation was such a shitty generation.

Most of NeoGAF and many Japanese RPG fans disagree.
Hell, the world disagrees, honestly.

FyreWulff

Microsoft buying Rare is still going to be the #1 until the end of time. Talk about completely mishandling a purchase and a lesson on two completely different corporate cultures being incompatible. It's the single case I can think of in the game industry history where a developer was technically kidnapped.

I'll never get this one
didn't MS allow them to make pretty much whatever after they bought them for some 300 million?

No.

Trojan X

Banned
The creation of Bayonetta and Vanquish? Never!!!

Aside from their mishandling of Anarchy Reigns, not really, no.

Looks like neither of you know... SEGA had nothing to do with either games! Nothing!! (exclamation marks is not out of anger to both of you, but just for strong emphasis on the point highlighted).

SEGA bastardized Bayonetta, and Vanquish was not the true game that Platinum Games wanted to release. Anarchy Reign's production was completed ages prior released but it was incredibly delayed by SEGA and the marketing for the game was next to naught because SEGA's stupid internal staff thought it was a shitty button mashing game (especially looking at you, Sega Europe). Heck, Anarchy Reign was almost cancelled by SEGA. The only thing SEGA done great was SEGA Japan (note that I said Japan) marketing effort for Bayonetta in Japan, which was awesome.

Platinum Games has received nothing but incredible pain from SEGA and they have been trying very hard to make it work, but they couldn't do so due to SEGA's internal politics, frictions, illogical decisions and so much more! When Platinum Games tried to get Bayonetta back SEGA gave them the middle finger. Right now, I am hoping their relationship with Nintendo and Konami improves or, even better, the whole damn gaming world wakes up and start buying, appreciating and loving Platinum Games "games" so they can become a mega third party company. If SEGA was good for Platinum Games then you'll see MUCH MORE exciting and SEGA style games from Platinum Games because the love they had for SEGA was incredible. ... yes, "was" incredible.

Sony is NOT the worst thing that happened to Media Molecule.

Even though they're making Vita games, they're seriously not recognized enough for the some of the amazing work that they do.

SEGA is the worst thing that ever happened to ATLUS. They better not ruin Persona 5 or the Disgaea series.

Disgaea is Nippon Ichi Software. ATLUS USA brought the first game over here before NIS America was formed.

EDIT: ...um, I thought this thread was about developers that were BOUGHT by publishers. Don't know why people are posting about Platinum.

I would like to see Nintendo let Monolith go back to writing their stories first, even if they're in a good position right now and I should probably be glad Nintendo acquired them.

zhorkat

Looks like neither of you know... SEGA had nothing to do with either games! Nothing!! (exclamation marks is not out of anger to both of you, but just for strong emphasis on the point highlighted).

SEGA bastardized Bayonetta, and Vanquish was not the true game that Platinum Games wanted to release. Anarchy Reign was done ages ago and it was incredibly delayed by SEGA and the marketing was next to naught because they thought it was a shitty button mashing game. Heck, in fact it was almost cancelled by SEGA. The only thing SEGA done great was SEGA Japan (note that I said Japan) marketing effort for Bayonetta in Japan, which was awesome.

Platinum Games has received nothing but incredible pain from SEGA and they have been trying very hard to make it work, but they couldn't do so due to SEGA's internal politics, frictions, illogical decisions and so much more! When Platinum Games tried to get Bayonetta back SEGA gave them the middle finger. Right now, I am hoping their relationship with Nintendo and Konami improves or, even better, the whole damn gaming world wakes up and start buying, appreciating and loving Platinum Games "games" so they can become a mega third party company. If SEGA was good for Platinum Games then you'll see MUCH MORE exciting and SEGA style games from Platinum Games because the love they had for SEGA was incredible. ... "was" incredible.

Do you have a source for that stuff? Also, how does Sega's interference compare to the normal publisher meddling that affects almost every other video game?

2K is NOT the worst thing that happened to Firaxis.
THQ (was) NOT the worst thing that happend to Volition.

Firaxis has prospered and has enjoyed relative autonomy since the 2K purchase.
I'm pretty sure Volition would have gone the way of Looking Glass and Ion Storm in 2000 if THQ hadn't stepped in and bought them. They also prospered from the relationship.

Trojan X

Banned
Do you have a source for that stuff? Also, how does Sega's interference compare to the normal publisher meddling that affects almost every other video game?

Source? I know directly and not from some quotation from some magazine of some sort, and this isn't new news as lots of people known about this. Lastly, there is no such thing as a normal publisher; it's either a publisher is fully behind your product and believe in it or they are not. In this case, SEGA did a lot of crap to Platinum that will make you want to give them a major uppercut to the jaw.

Blizzard was the worst thing that ever happened to Swingin' Ape Studios. For those who don't remember them, they crafted this criminally underrated gem:

maxresdefault70sod.jpg

This was the company's very first (and disappointingly their final) project. You'd think otherwise about a game which spawned from a relative no-name company that also suffered from some development woes thanks to Vivendi's involvement (their publisher at the time), but Metal Arms was a remarkable third-person shooter that stood toe-to-toe with some of the best action games (FPS, TPS or otherwise) that came out of the PS2 / GC / Xbox generation. The shooting was extremely satisfying for a number of reasons: the enemy A.I. was surprisingly good for its time and right up there with Halo's, robots got chunked with explosive graphical splendor comparable to Binary Domain's, you could disable individual bodyparts of massive threats without wasting valuable ammunition to truly destroy them, there was a lot of variety in both your arsenal as well as the enemy types and its weapon upgrade system opened up considerable diversity in terms of viable playstyles. Its vehicular sections were underwhelming, but nonetheless there was a lot to like with the way it executed the core principles of a console shooter. The single player was unusually lengthy without grating repetitiveness too, Metal Arms didn't take itself seriously in the slightest, the game busted your balls (which is why the highest difficulty is aptly named Balls of Steel no less), the overall audio design was simply rad at times - the Zombiebots in particular were memorable - and its multiplayer was filled to the brim with potential. The latter was sadly ahead of its time, since services such as Xbox Live had not yet become popular enough to make a robust online multiplayer mode seem like a worthwhile investment for the majority of developers, much less smaller ones. So what happened?

Metal Arms didn't sell well and Vivendi owns the rights to the sequel that never officially materialized. Blizzard in their wisdom somehow noticed them; they bought Swingin' Ape to steer the troubled Starcraft: Ghost in the right direction... only to cancel it altogether while simultaneously dissolving the promising fledgling studio. In the end they made use of their talents by... absorbing them into their CG cinematics team. Brilliant.

For all the flak Blizzard got over the last few years no thanks to mismanaging all of their key franchises (World of Warcraft + Diablo III + Starcraft II), to me this is by far the worst call they've made as a company. One that I used to respect back in their prime. Now they can go fuck themselves... not that they haven't already been doing this with their internal circlejerking / self-congratulatory pats on the back by gloating about the x million copies they've sold of their latest uninspired sequel.

qko

Ctrl + F Microsoft

Ctrl + F Rare

My contribution has been submitted... Multiple, multiple times

Blizzard was the worst thing that ever happened to Swingin' Ape Studios. For those who don't remember them, they crafted this criminally underrated gem:

maxresdefault70sod.jpg

This was the company's very first (and disappointingly their final) project. You'd think otherwise about a game which spawned from a relative no-name company that also suffered from some development woes thanks to Vivendi's involvement (their publisher at the time), but Metal Arms was a remarkable third-person shooter that stood toe-to-toe with some of the best action games (FPS, TPS or otherwise) that came out of the PS2 / GC / Xbox generation. The shooting was extremely satisfying for a number of reasons: the enemy A.I. was surprisingly good for its time and right up there with Halo's, robots got chunked with explosive graphical splendor comparable to Binary Domain's, you could disable individual bodyparts of massive threats without wasting valuable ammunition to truly destroy them, there was a lot of variety in both your arsenal as well as the enemy types and its weapon upgrade system opened up considerable diversity in terms of viable playstyles. Its vehicular sections were underwhelming, but nonetheless there was a lot to like with the way it executed the core principles of a console shooter. The single player was unusually lengthy without grating repetitiveness too, Metal Arms didn't take itself seriously in the slightest, the game busted your balls (which is why the highest difficulty is aptly named Balls of Steel no less), the overall audio design was simply rad at times - the Zombiebots in particular were memorable - and its multiplayer was filled to the brim with potential. The latter was sadly ahead of its time, since services such as Xbox Live had not yet become popular enough to make a robust online multiplayer mode seem like a worthwhile investment for the majority of developers, much less smaller ones. So what happened?

Metal Arms didn't sell well and Vivendi owns the rights to the sequel that never officially materialized. Blizzard in their wisdom somehow noticed them; they bought Swingin' Ape to steer the troubled Starcraft: Ghost in the right direction... only to cancel it altogether while simultaneously dissolving the promising fledgling studio. In the end they made use of their talents by... absorbing them into their CG cinematics team. Brilliant.

For all the flak Blizzard got over the last few years no thanks to mismanaging all of their key franchises (World of Warcraft + Diablo III + Starcraft II), to me this is by far the worst call they've made as a company. One that I used to respect back in their prime. Now they can go fuck themselves... not that they haven't already been doing this with their internal circlejerking / self-congratulatory pats on the back by gloating about the x million copies they've sold of their latest uninspired sequel.

Oh man, it's nice to see a love post to one of my favourite games! :D

That's a good one. I forgot I was mad about that for a long time. Now I'm mad about it again.

Oh man, it's nice to see a love post to one of my favourite games! :D
I don't think I'll ever let Blizzard live this down and even if their recent releases weren't of questionable quality, I'd still go out of my way to 'boycott' them for denying us a promising new franchise.

Hell, even Jim Sterling is apparently very fond of Metal Arms: A Glitch in the System and I don't typically agree with the guy.

Riki

I would like to see Nintendo let Monolith go back to writing their stories first, even if they're in a good position right now and I should probably be glad Nintendo acquired them.
Nintendo isn't telling Monolith to not do those grandeous stories you saw in Gears/Saga. The directors in Monolith simply acknowledged that most gamers didn't want that and so they put a bigger focus on the world and gameplay.
And thus: Xenoblade.

injurai

Banned
I feel EA Partners was the worst thing to happen to both Insomniac and Crytek despite them keeping their independence.

Harlequin

how exactly did SquareEnix ruin Eidos?

Not completely sure about this one, either. I think it's too early to tell. I mean, some of the stuff they've said (planning to make the Eidos studios focus on online games) truly sounds idiotic but so far that's been all talk, no walk. The Thief and Tomb Raider reboots had been in development since before the takeover AFAIK (in case anyone unhappy with those wants to blame them on Square) and I don't think Square Japan directly meddled in the production of any big Eidos titles (other than Visual Works doing trailers for them which doesn't really count) - so far, at least. Well...maybe adding multiplayer to Tomb Raider was their idea? But that's pure speculation...and who's to say Eidos wouldn't have told Crystal to do that, anyway? And thanks to Square the Eidos studios do now have bigger budgets and more time to polish their games.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I feel EA Partners was the worst thing to happen to both Insomniac and Crytek despite them keeping their independence.

Yeah I don't think they really helped Grasshopper either, but none of these fit the formula. ;)

Not completely sure about this one, either. I think it's too early to tell. I mean, some of the stuff they've said (planning to make the Eidos studios focus on online games) truly sounds idiotic but so far that's been all talk, no walk. The Thief and Tomb Raider reboots had been in development since before the takeover AFAIK (in case anyone unhappy with those wants to blame them on Square) and I don't think Square Japan directly meddled in the production of any big Eidos titles (other than Visual Works doing trailers for them which doesn't really count) - so far, at least. Well...maybe adding multiplayer to Tomb Raider was their idea? But that's pure speculation...and who's to say Eidos wouldn't have told Crystal to do that, anyway? And thanks to Square the Eidos studios do now have bigger budgets and more time to polish their games.

Tomb Raider sold 4 million units and was a disappointment to SquareEnix.

If Eidos had accomplished that on their own they'd be flush, but now they're supposed to be somehow disappointed in their results, as directed by parent company expectations?

The fact that this perception was even communicated to PR circles at all is a "jump the shark" moment for me, but I'll be happy to change it if Thief somehow satisfies Squenix. ;P

EA is the worst thing to have happened to Criterion.

Thoughts on this given today's departure of the studio's founders?

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/03/burnout-studio-founders-leave-electronic-arts-to-start-afresh-with-new-game-company/

Nintendo isn't telling Monolith to not do those grandeous stories you saw in Gears/Saga. The directors in Monolith simply acknowledged that most gamers didn't want that and so they put a bigger focus on the world and gameplay.
And thus: Xenoblade.

I find it hard to imagine a scenario where preventing them from coming up with the story before building the game wouldn't prevent them from telling a Gears/Saga type story. Moreover, the constraints placed on monolith in that regard seem like a deliberate attempt to curtail the presence of the story element. I also find it hard to believe that there isn't a certain amount of complacency in the "we've seen the light now" comments, especially those from Soraya Saga.

In terms of what players want, obviously everyone wants a substantial gameplay experience out of their JRPGs, even if we have different ideas of what that may be. However, it's a bit strange to downplay the demand for story epics when Xenogears is held in such high regard to this day, despite the battle system not even comparing with the Xenosaga series.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
EA is the worst thing that ever happened to Maxis?

Microsoft is the worst thing that ever happened to Rare.

Konami is the worse thing that ever happened to Hudson Soft.

Edit: Woah, damn necrobump, this thread is over a year old!

Imbarkus

Yeah, sorry. Just... Maxis, ya know?

Imbarkus

Microsoft is the worst thing ever to happen to Lionhead.

Top Bottom