• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone Twitch streaming 'a few more months' away

I'm not overly fussed by this as I can't stream for toffee on my connection, but I don't understand how something like this is taking so long to implement? Surely they just exploit the GPU's H.264 features to blast out a stream?

The Stig

I personally could not care less. Who the heck wants to watch OTHER people play games? Can't think of anything more boring.

Also it makes people like pewdiepie famous. Which is a crime.

Drencrom

I personally could not care less. Who the heck wants to watch OTHER people play games? Can't think of anything more boring.

Yeah, screw options and the people that like livestreaming of games
n34EorB.png

breakfuss

lololol! Mostly agree, but I like watching channels like rev3 and people i know.

jim2011

I concur about kinect support. I think this might me more like upload studio with pip if you want. Also, not too worried about it not being there now, glad they're at least commenting on it.

BadWolf

Sony were the first to announce and implement the feature.

MS announced the partnership with Twitch first but that's about it.

This makes it seem like MS decided to implement the feature after Sony announced it, which is why its still not ready.

Jamie OD

how were they the first to announce the partnership but the last to get the functionality

Twitch were very clever in organising their seperate deals for the Xbox One and the PS4. Xbox gets their timed exclusive viewing app while PS4 got their timed exclusive streaming app. That way Twitch appeared on both consoles at launch.

Tsundere

Banned
Sony were the first to announce and implement the feature.

MS announced the partnership with Twitch first but that's about it.

This makes it seem like MS decided to implement the feature after Sony announced it, which is why its still not ready.

They "showed" it at E3, obviously it was faked, but they were the first to show something outside of screenshots.

Eknots

f686fca4a105fbbb21a81fc5c6ed50ac.png

As you can tell from the viewer count no one wants to watch OTHER people play games
Those numbers are around double during the evening in NA

Wasn't Twitch announced for X1 first, What have they been doing since then?

They probably only got to announce it first because of exclusive marketing bullshit.

Who knows how long they have actually been working on steaming. Could have been a late addition after some late PS4 leaks and that explains why they are so behind on it.

dc89

Damn, streaming is awesome. I don't know if I'm the only one but I get a cheap thrill when I know people are watching. Even if it's only 5 people or so.

Edit: I'm currently watching someone near the end of FFX. Forgot to mention that.

Twitch were very clever in organising their seperate deals for the Xbox One and the PS4. Xbox gets their timed exclusive viewing app while PS4 got their timed exclusive streaming app. That way Twitch appeared on both consoles at launch.

"Exclusive viewing app" You can view (PS4) streams on Live from Playstation. :p

Drencrom

fair point, but you dont need a livestream to see gameplay footage

no need for aggression

You can actively ask streamers their opinon and experience with the games too and ask them to try out stuff in the game real time though which you can't with youtube videos.

No aggression, just highlighting how blunt and stupid your statement was.

I do... It helps inform me about other games I want to buy or helps me pass parts I'm stuck on. Plus some channels can be really entertaining. I guess its for REAL GAMERS ONLY.

The Stig

You can actively ask streamers their opinon and experience with the games real time too and ask the to try out stuff in the game real time though which you can't with youtube videos.

No aggression, just highlighting how blunt and stupid your statement was.

fair enough. sorry guys, I just got to work half an hour late and forgot to take my happy pill.

Ps4 accounts for 20% of twitch's streams. Even if you don't care about watching other people game, there are those who do. Also having an option to do so is better than not.

8byte

Banned

Excellent if there's a game you want to see outside of broll footage before a purchase...or learn things etc. It'll be the biggest new thing to happen this gen.

I like watching the streams on PS4. I was on the fence about buying Lego Marvel and after watching a stream I decided to buy it.

The streams will be even more interesting to watch once the PS4's library starts to rival PS3s. The Minecraft streams alone will be fun to watch

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your elgatos ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It's okay. I'll just keep streaming on PS4 for now.

Kinda ridiculous to be completely honest. I think they launched it a bit too early. I imagine if they had maintained the old Xbox One concept, we would've gotten a completely different console.

Shin-Ra

How easy is it for Xbone's GPU to decode fullscreen 1080p video (say you hit a prerendered cutscene) and encode a good quality live stream simultaneously?

If you don't care for it that is fine, but it's obvious a lot of people want it. So it's kind of silly to ask that.

bombshell

They "showed" it at E3, obviously it was faked, but they were the first to show something outside of screenshots.

No, MS have not at any point shown live streaming. They showed how to upload a short gameplay clip using Killer Instinct at E3.

how were they the first to announce the partnership but the last to get the functionality

Wasn't Twitch announced for X1 first, What have they been doing since then?

They announced the Twitch partnership first, but Sony announced Streaming capabilities first I think. They probably just jumped on a partnership as soon as Sony announced it and never had plans to actually have the feature.

I certainly don't mind seeing a little bit of a game here and there, but yeah, people who watch entire play throughs of games are one of the mysteries of the universe for me.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I remember when "Microsoft is a software company, Sony is not" used to be a bullet point even I would have duly noted as a plus to the Xbox brand. I'm just not seeing any meaningful gap in expertise anymore, but often times worse. MS really lost their way during this W8 generation which is a shame since X360 and W7 were damn strong.

Taking this long to launch, it better not be ultra basic and missing basic things like being able to ban users from your channel and more chat display options from within the app itself.

Top Bottom