• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 28: Cagayan |OT| Colby votes out Keith again

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
250px-Survivor28logo.jpg

Meet the Cast vid

ELIMINATED PLAYERS

David
david2.jpg

Garrett
garrett2.jpg

Brice
brice2_0.jpg

J'Tia
jtai2.jpg

Cliff
cliff2.jpg

Lindsey
lindsey2.jpg

Alexis
alexis2.jpg

The Jury

Sarah
sarah2.jpg

Morgan
morgan2.jpg

LJ
jl2_0.jpg

Jeremiah
jeremiah2.jpg

Jefra
jefra2.jpg

Tasha
latasha2.jpg

Trish
trish2_0.jpg

Spencer
spencer2.jpg

Kass
kassandra2.jpg

Runner Up

Woo
woo2.jpg

Sole Survivor

Tony
tony2.jpg

UberTag

I'm liking the racial diversity of this cast.
At a glance, Team Beauty seems set up to fail but we'll see how this plays out in the season itself.
Small tribes make for some compelling do-or-die social dynamics right out of the gate.

Examiner.com's UPDATED Top 10 Survivor Winners of All-Time List

10. Tyson Apostol
9. Yul Kwon
8. Parvati Shallow
Kim Spradlin
Tom Westman
Richard Hatch
Brian Heidik
John Cochran aka 'Gumby'
Boston Rob Mariano
Sandra Diaz-Twine

Incidentally, I think this is a decent list but would have put Denise Stapley into this group ahead of Tyson.

whitehawk

Banned
alright, you got the OT, happy? lol

I'll be watching like every season. I'm just so happy we finally have a season with all new players

belushy

Banned
Not sure who I like so far from the casting list. Looking forward to all new cast season again, though. This time going in, not really knowing who to root for or against. Hopefully it is a good season.

Garrett and LJ are delicious. Woo and Jeremiah look nice too. Finally an abundance of male eye candy.

Also, NEW PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

It's a solid enough cast; I just hope the editing is as good as last season's. J'Tia and Morgan better snatch.

Jeff: "We're basing this season on qualities that it takes to win the game."
Hm.

10. Tyson Apostol
9. Yul Kwon
8. Parvati Shallow
Kim Spradlin
Tom Westman
Richard Hatch
Brian Heidik
John Cochran aka 'Gumby'
Boston Rob Mariano
Sandra Diaz-Twine

Incidentally, I think this is a decent list but would have put Denise Stapley into this group ahead of Tyson.

It's a good list and Survivor lists are Survivor lists, but you're absolutely right about Denise Stapley. I'd also boot Cochran and Westman, too, for Jenna Morasca, Chris Daugherty, or Todd. At least they got the Queen right.

kirblar

Cochran = most overrated contestant ever.

Also lol @ there likely being two gay guys on Beauty. (watch the interviews.)

DMeisterJ

Banned
#TeamJ'Tia #TeamMorgan

The video of Sasha proclaiming a 3.9 GPA in HS as if it's something super special is super lol-worthy. And Team Beauty isn't beautiful at all, really.

I'm liking the racial diversity of this cast.
At a glance, Team Beauty seems set up to fail but we'll see how this plays out in the season itself.
Small tribes make for some compelling do-or-die social dynamics right out of the gate.

10. Tyson Apostol
9. Yul Kwon
8. Parvati Shallow
Kim Spradlin
Tom Westman
Richard Hatch
Brian Heidik
John Cochran aka 'Gumby'
Boston Rob Mariano
Sandra Diaz-Twine

Edit: I'm blind.

UberTag

Why the Denise hate? I thought she played pretty good, given the fact that she went to every Tribal Council.
I wouldn't say this guy had extreme hate for Denise when compiling his list.
He had her ranked 13th (still in the top half) - just behind Todd (tragic how his life fell apart) and Chris and just ahead of Jenna.

Tom Santilli's pitch on why he ranked Cochran 3rd ahead of Heidik & Hatch:

The man who earned being called only by his last name, Cochran is the unlikeliest of Survivor winners on many different levels. There has also been growing backlash against Cochran, as many let their annoyance of him get in the way of the big picture. First, his win has created a new "type" of Survivor winner: Looking at Cochran and comparing him to the types of people who have previously won, there is nobody like him. A life-long Survivor-obsessed, self-proclaimed Harvard nerd, Cochran came into this season with a surprising amount of confidence. His in-game awareness was off the charts and his physical demeanor made him nearly invisible to others early on.

But then Cochran began winning physical challenges too. He never ran into too much danger all season, but it was because he had mastered the timing of Survivor: Knowing when to strike, before being struck. He orchestrated big moves and was in control of the game from start to finish. His game was only the second "perfect game" ever (after J.T. in Tocantins) where a winner won by a unanimous jury vote while also never having a single vote cast against them the entire game. What separates Cochran's game from J.T. is that Cochran orchestrated his game, whereas J.T. relied heavily on Stephen Fishbach to navigate his way to the end. A true student of the game, Cochran pulled off one of the most impressive and unlikely Survivor wins the game may ever see.

And his list of worst Survivor Winners of All-Time...

10. Bob Crowley
9. Danni Boatwright
8. Aras Baskauskas
Sophie Clarke
Amber Brkich (aka Mrs. Boston Rob Mariano)
Ethan Zohn
Tina Wesson
Earl Cole
Natalie White
Vecepia Towery

DMeisterJ

Banned
I wouldn't say this guy had extreme hate for Denise when compiling his list.
He had her ranked 13th (still in the top half) - just behind Todd (tragic how his life fell apart) and Chris and just ahead of Jenna.

I thought it was a worst Surviors list at first glance (my lack of reading comprehension). I'd I'd put her pretty high in the top 10 though, 13 is a tragedy a bit.

Yay new Survivor! And yay new Survivor-GAF. I love these threads. Hopefully this season is as good as the last few.

It's a good list and Survivor lists are Survivor lists, but you're absolutely right about Denise Stapley. I'd also boot Cochran and Westman, too, for Jenna Morasca, Chris Daugherty, or Todd. At least they got the Queen right.

Boot Cochran, sure, but Westman? No way. That was one of the most dominant performances ever. He caught a freaking shark! A SHARK. He had some help from Ian completely flaking out at the end, but still...he led his tribe to a perfect run, and that counts for a lot.

And his list of worst Survivor Winners of All-Time...

10. Bob Crowley
9. Danni Boatwright
8. Aras Baskauskas
Sophie Clarke
Amber Brkich (aka Mrs. Boston Rob Mariano)
Ethan Zohn
Tina Wesson
Earl Cole
Natalie White
Vecepia Towery

Agreed on the bottom two. I remember #3 winning, but I don't remember his season at all. I'd give #4 a lot of credit for getting
Colby
to take her to the end, even though he had a perfect goat sitting there in the final 3. And I go back and forth on
Sophie
...I liked her, but I don't know if that's because she played such a good game or because everyone else on her tribe was so thoroughly horrible. She was definitely helped by the fact she was sitting next to a pair of thoroughly unlikable douchebags at the end.

Sophie was amazing and deserved every one of those post-tax dollars she earned.

I wish she were more personable and interesting in interviews though

Foaloal

This is the only show I actively watch, so I'm excited for the new season to start.

There are some mighty fine looking ladies in this cast, but I'm not sure if there's anybody who I want to cheer on. Maybe Woo or Garrett, I like martial arts and poker.

I guess I've got a month to wait to see if this cast/edit is engaging enough to make me want to tune in every week.

UberTag

holy shit did that guy really put cochran on a list of best winners and says vecepia is the worst winner ever

i can't.
Hey, I love Marquesas more than almost anyone but Vee wasn't exactly a strategic dynamo. She won a couple crucial immunity challenges, she had to face the jury against Neleh of all people (who perfected the Amanda Kimmel approach to jury management long before Amanda played the game) and she survived the first instance of a rock tiebreaker. Everyone's jury speech consisted of how shitty the finalists were and how much they wanted to give Kathy a million bucks but couldn't.

Would I personally give her worst-ever winner honors over the likes of Fabio (who didn't even make Tom's list), Amber or Natalie? Probably not. But it would be hard to make an argument for her not to be in the discussion.

I think Vecepia makes the shortlist for least-deserving winners simply because there haven't been a whole lot of awful winners. Even in the worst seasons, we've still had deserving people win. (Or, at least, their edits have been good enough that their wins made sense.)

Natalie is obviously the one exception to that rule.

People are really still pretending Natalie didn't deserve to win?

The whole concept of "deserving" is pretty pointless anyway. If you make it to the end and get the votes you deserved to win, the only reason I take credit away from players like Cochran is because it took him more than once and he had so many outside factors play a part in his win. If someone doesn't win their first time I don't really take them seriously as a winner, sure they might have played good games, but All Star seasons are so weird and they get taken way too seriously.

The only person who won their first time who I don't really have a lot of respect for is Bob, since Sugar being an emotional wreck made that such a weird season. Yul too, kind of, since the idol was so overpowered, but it's not his fault that he took advantage of poorly thought out rules.

On Vecepia, she's like a quiet Sandra who can win challenges. One of the most underrated winners ever - put her on pretty much any season and she'll go really far. She's one of those rare players who's nearly impossible to vote out. Her only major issue is she's not as good as others at making personal connections. It takes being up against someone like Neleh for her to win.

she survived the first instance of a rock tiebreaker.

Vecepia was immune, she wasn't in any danger.

whitehawk

Banned
So a few days ago, Peih-gee Law's sister posted an application video for Survivor on YouTube. It had Peih-Gee in it as well. I think it may have been a possible BvW application. I really hope so. Peih-Gee is awesome, and her sister seemed awesome as well. The removed the video though.

UberTag

So a few days ago, Peih-gee Law's sister posted an application video for Survivor on YouTube. It had Peih-Gee in it as well. I think it may have been a possible BvW application. I really hope so. Peih-Gee is awesome, and her sister seemed awesome as well. The removed the video though.
At this point I'm expecting Season 29 to be Blood vs. Water 2 and Season 30 to be All-Stars 3 (I count Heroes vs. Villains as #2).

So this upcoming season is likely to be the last all-newbie run we get for a while. Hopefully it's good.

redhood56

Banned
Thank god there is actually new people! I can't wait to see them swim out and get bags of puzzle pieces, and then solve the puzzle.

789shadow

Banned
At this point I'm expecting Season 29 to be Blood vs. Water 2 and Season 30 to be All-Stars 3 (I count Heroes vs. Villains as #2).

So this upcoming season is likely to be the last all-newbie run we get for a while. Hopefully it's good.
I hope All-Stars 3 is the legendary All Winners edition.

Unless they're going with a reduced cast (16, maybe), I don't see how an all-winners season is feasible. Too many of the winners have actual lives now and some (Sandra especially) don't have anything to prove.

UberTag

I can't believe we have to wait until the 26th for this season to start. Stupid Olympics.
What's amusing is that AMC more or less said "fuck the Olympics" and will undoubtedly break more records for The Walking Dead due to the absence of first-run programming this month.

Thank god there is actually new people! I can't wait to see them swim out and get bags of puzzle pieces, and then solve the puzzle.
It's sad that all of the challenges have gotten this predictable.

whitehawk

Banned
Unless they're going with a reduced cast (16, maybe), I don't see how an all-winners season is feasible. Too many of the winners have actual lives now and some (Sandra especially) don't have anything to prove.
Well according to a guy on reddit who met Yul, he would be down to play again. Which I didn't expect.

Remember the really dumb idol rules from Panama and Cook Islands, where you could play it after the votes got read? Well Tyler Perry texted Jeff that they should bring those back, so once they get to the merge there's going to be a shitty overpowered idol in addition to the three they'll have pre-merge. So I guess don't expect to see any of the actual storylines and character development from last season that came (at least partially) from the idols being a nonfactor for so long. I guess they're trying to reward the players for making merge, or something? Why not just ditch idols pre-merge so the shitty players can't rely on them, then introduce one normal one at the merge (like in Guatemala, but with updated idol rules). I guess then you can't have dumb tribals where a million idols get played at once.

I think Jeff is actually trying to kill the show.

kirblar

The decision is certifiably insane. It's change for change's sake. The old idol was broken. We know this. They knew it. The rules are perfect. But they have to change to satisfy their need to make something different just because. Ugh.

789shadow

Banned
Wait, SlowRevolution only said that someone SUGGESTED they should change the rules. Where is the confirmation that they ARE?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Excited for my guiltiest, and most secret, pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom