• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs reportedly not coming any sooner than May or June 2014

Noam voices Aiden Pearce in the game.

nla6ncU.png

Via Watch Dogs forum

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
wow

are they adding content?

seems like the game was just completely unrealistically pegged with that Q4 2013 date.

Presumably the game just wasn't very good so they're polishing all the content for an additional six months after the original release date.

ramuh

I'm glad that they decided to push this back to fix their issues, a little saddened that it was so bad that they had to do that in the first place. Here's hoping they create a solid first title in a (hopefuly) future franchise. I still love the premise of it.

Ardvent

I didn't even know people expected it this early. At E3 they had a ton of ARG presence that went no where, I figured they'd do the same this year and have a release around September '14.

demolitio

It's now a race between Drive Club and Watch Dogs to see who releases first.

I do commend them for delaying the game though instead of the usual bullshit where we find out it's broken AFTER we play it since we know reviewers won't do that.

Honestly, I wasn't really interested in getting WD at all last year, but if it releases during the summer, before the Destiny beta, I might actually get it.

_hekk05

Banned
I like the delays. It shows that devs and publishers are no longer as willing to put out a broken-ass game and patch it later. Even ubisoft
holy crap is that even possible

megalowho

I can't imagine Ubi will let this one out into the wild without guaranteeing some measure of critical success, they seem to be banking on a generation spanning series and can't afford to falter or even be "just ok" out of the gate. If internal reviews didn't line up with what they were hoping for in the Fall, makes sense they'd delay and work on it for as long as it takes until they do. Actually fairly commendable considering the alternatives, curious as to just how much actual content is being changed as opposed to just optimization and polish.

Mikey Jr.

Wow, wonder what the fuck happened. They seemed like they were on track for being a launch title, then just this massive delay.

I can't imagine Ubi will let this one out into the wild without guaranteeing some measure of critical success, they seem to be banking on a generation spanning series and can't afford to falter or even be "just ok" out of the gate. If internal reviews didn't line up with what they were hoping for in the Fall, makes sense they'd delay and work on it for as long as it takes until they do. Actually fairly commendable considering the alternatives, curious as to just how much actual content is being changed as opposed to just optimization and polish.

Yeah, definitely. This will be there next Assassins Creed.

Pretty much, the size, scope, quality, response and most importantly, sales of GTA V spooked the shit out of them and I'd bet they went back to the drawing board with a lot of things.

calder

I think they also know they need a huge launch to start a new IP this ambitious. If this was just another AC I'd bet they release it after perhaps a short delay.

Musolf815

Well if Ubisoft has yearly Assassin's Cred games, maybe they're combinging Watch Dogs with the likely partially made Watch Dogs 2 to make the game better?

Tagg9

I'll be really interested to know if they've decided to overhaul the actual gameplay or if they just want it to be super polished.

For something like Assassin's Creed, I don't even know how six more months in the cooker would benefit the game. They've already got all the content, and no amount of work is going to improve stuff like the follow missions or assassination contracts - it's simply filler that isn't going to be fun no matter how you handle it. I guess they could put some work into improving free running, or the combat system, but even then it wouldn't be that beneficial.

My point being that when something with such a massive scope as Watch_Dogs reaches its current state, your hands are tied as to what you can feasibly change in order to improve the actual gameplay. You can buff up the graphics incrementally, but that's about it. Maybe a better multiplayer component?

li bur

Well I thought the game was done and the delay was more a strategic issues. But I guess the game really needs major overhaul if it won't be available in Q1.

Top Bottom