• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wants Reportedly Wants The Next Fallout Game To Come Sooner

Draugoth

Gold Member
1-fallout-games.jpg

• Xbox is reportedly planning a new Fallout game "sooner" than expected.
  • This would likely be separate from Fallout 5, as Bethesda has ruled that out until The Elder Scrolls 6 launches.

On a recent episode of The Xbox Two Podcast, Jez Corden claimed that ‘the company is aware’ of the demand for the Fallout label, and everyone is acutely aware of how successful the next title in the series will be. At this point, one of the only avenues the company could take to speed up the development of Fallout 5 is to take it away from Bethesda Game Studios entirely. That would make it the first major Fallout game not developed by Bethesda since 2010’s Fallout New Vegas.

Source

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hand it over to Obsidian and bring back the New Vegas crew. They won't do this because it hurts poor Todd Howards feelings that Obsidian arguably made a better Fallout game than they did.

Its fucking obvious that is the best decision.

Would MS do it? No, because they're run by incompetent fucking morons

If MS had any intelligence they would have commissioned remasters of Fallout 3 and New Vegas the day they acquired Bethesda. People were BEGGING for this.

Again, they're too fucking dumb to take easy wins.

C'mon Microsoft, show me.....just once....that you are capable of making a good decision in the Phil Spencer era.

Last edited:

Zheph

Hand it over to Obsidian and bring back the New Vegas crew. They won't do this because it hurts poor Todd Howards feelings that Obsidian arguably made a better Fallout game than they did.

Its fucking obvious that is the best decision.

Would MS do it? No, because they're run by incompetent fucking morons

If MS had any intelligence they would have commissioned remasters of Fallout 3 and New Vegas the day they acquired Bethesda. People were BEGGING for this.

Again, they're too fucking dumb to take easy wins.

C'mon Microsoft, show me.....just once....that you are capable of making a good decision in the Phil Spencer era.
Isn't F3 and Oblivion being remade as we speak? Not sure how reliable this was

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Isn't F3 and Oblivion being remade as we speak? Not sure how reliable this was
I won't believe that is happening until it actually happens. Fallout 3 remaster was posted on the leak, but we've heard nothing since then.

Knowing MS they probably cancelled it, because....big daddy Todd said no.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
who wants to come sooner? cuz I'm not 😔.

again...
Fable
Project Dark
State of Decay
Everwild
Contrband

fix your bullshit first, then talk about "wanting" things

and I also listen to that episode. Jez has completely lost his mind.
which episode. There are times when I respect Jez and times where I think he has lost his fucking mind. Sadly it's far more of the latter.

People like Colt Eastwood and now Destin I have no respect or hope for. They are deliberately lying to their audience.

mystech

Trying to “expedite” a Bethesda games doesn’t sounds like a good idea at all considering their latest releases.

If Microsoft were as smart as they claim, they would have split the company (or at least split the IP) to one team working Fallout while the other team works Elder Scrolls. Makes no sense to buy out a company which only releases their big titles once every 8 years. An entire generation could pass by without a new Fallout or Elder Scrolls.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Is New Vegas playable on PC? I just saw the Ultimate Edition on GoG and thinking of buying it. Never played Fallout but heard this one was the best.

CamHostage

I won't believe that is happening until it actually happens.
Knowing MS they probably cancelled it, because....big daddy Todd said no.

Dude, what's up with the hate on Todd Howard? What's the basis for this whole rumor that Howard is bitter/jealous over New Vegas come from?

Zheph

Is New Vegas playable on PC? I just saw the Ultimate Edition on GoG and thinking of buying it. Never played Fallout but heard this one was the best.
You can mode it to make it work better also it was offered long ago on Epic so if you do that, you might have it already

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dude, what's up with the hate on Todd Howard? What's the basis for this whole rumor that Howard is bitter/jealous over New Vegas come from?

There's no basis for it, only hearsay.

People tried to use the justification that they 'contradicted' NV's timeline but that was quickly debunked and the damn show ends with the tease that Season 2 takes place in New Vegas.

XXL

I bought it on Steam for like 3$

It goes on sale all the time, but it was just on sale recently.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
What do you mean? PC is the best platform to play all Bethesda games considering you can mod out all the junk.
I mean, is it a good port or is it unplayable with lots of bugs and glitches? It's an old game so unsure about the compatibility with modern hardware and configurations.

Lunarorbit

I like Todd Howard but he sets himself up for criticism for his double talk and unrealistic expectations he puts out there for his games.

Plus the new fo4 update is borked

adamsapple

I mean, is it a good port or is it unplayable with lots of bugs and glitches? It's an old game so unsure about the compatibility with modern hardware and configurations.

The Steam and GOG versions are probably better since you can mod them to hell and back.

I tried the GP version and it was such a stuttery mess on my laptop that I ended up playing it on the Xbox with its FPS boost. I was trying the GP PC version on a 1060 laptop with an i5 and 16GB RAM, which shouldn't have problems with this at all.

Atrus

Gold Member
Bethesda doesn’t do quick and the engine is so fucked that not even they are masters of it.

It’s not a bad idea to capitalize on the show but a capable and intelligent leader would have actioned on it in 2021 when they acquired the company and not after said show.

Laptop1991

Good i support that attitude, i agree with Xbox, more games is better than less or no SP like Bethesda's policy, would like Obsidian to make it but any studio that cares about Fallout will do.

CamHostage

People tried to use the justification that they 'contradicted' NV's timeline but that was quickly debunked and the damn show ends with the tease that Season 2 takes place in New Vegas.
Except I remember hearing stuff about Howard and New Vegas strife even before the show, I'm not sure where it comes from?

I mean, it makes sense to have a stronger connection to the products you were closer to, that's just natural. The GTA Stories & DLC and MGS PSP games (except Peacewalker) get iced out of franchise retrospectives/re-releases despite Benzies/GTA leads and Kojima being involved in the productions. The Super Mario Land series has barely courtesy representation in the Super Mario Maker apps. It happens that some products in a long line of titles, especially side-games which still manage to garner a strong following, get less flowers, and it rankles those who love the full history or specifically a certain excellent side-game.

I just don't know where this specific rumor stems from?

I like Todd Howard but he sets himself up for criticism for his double talk and unrealistic expectations he puts out there for his games.

Criticism is fine, he's a bigwig and should be held accountable if products he produces have issues. But there's this weird thing from New Vegas-specific fans that I've never gotten a bead on.

Last edited:
Breaking news at 11!

major game publishers want sequels to extremely popular series to be made quicker

Also news: Nintendo wants the next Zelda to be made faster and sell just as many copies as breath of the wild. Source: myself.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Except I remember hearing stuff about Howard and New Vegas strife even before the show, I'm not sure where it comes from?

I mean, it makes sense to have a stronger connection to the products you were closer to, that's just natural. The GTA Stories & DLC and MGS PSP games (except Peacewalker) get iced out of franchise retrospectives/re-releases despite Benzies/GTA leads and Kojima being involved in the productions. The Super Mario Land series has barely courtesy representation in the Super Mario Maker apps. It happens that some products in a long line of titles, especially side-games which still manage to garner a strong following, get less flowers.

Again, it's probably something that just stemmed from forum nonsense.

He's been ok on the game

Meanwhile, I also managed to pull Bethesda's Todd Howard aside and get his two cents, which basically amounted to a reiteration of Urquhart's sentiment. Nothing's set in stone, but New Vegas was great, and having another go at it certainly makes an awful lot of sense. So, right then, fingers crossed. Extra radiation-borne ones too, if you've got 'em.

------

“I wouldn’t say never,” he says. “[But] now that our company is so big, it’s always better to keep stuff internal ... it becomes less likely, but I could never say never. I thought the Obsidian guys did a fabulous job.”

Last edited:

gpn

The GOG version of New Vegas comes pre-patched with bug fixes and that's the version I played (along with their version of Fallout 3) when I was on my Fallout binge after playing 4. It was mostly fine, but it did crash more than 3 did. Not too bad for the main game, but the Big Mountain DLC in particular crashed the most for me.

adamsapple

Fallout 3(and NV) remade with the Starfield engine would hold people over nicely for Fallout 5. :messenger_winking_tongue:

The last word on it from a Virtuous studios employee (the studio supposedly doing the remaster) is that it's going to get a UE5 visual overhaul with the gamebryo physics running under it.

MayauMiao

At this point, one of the only avenues the company could take to speed up the development of Fallout 5 is to take it away from Bethesda Game Studios entirely. That would make it the first major Fallout game not developed by Bethesda since 2010’s Fallout New Vegas.
Yeah and how Halo franchise turned out?

Hugare

Best option is to remaster F3/NV like they did with Skyrim Anniversary edition or whatever

Obsidian is busy with Avowed and Bethesda is busy with ES VI. Not a chance that they will stop what they are doing to make a new Fallout. And even if they do, it would take at least 3-4 years to make.

MS being surprised by the boom in popularity after the tv series is such a MS thing. They fuck up every single time.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I mean, it makes sense to have a stronger connection to the products you were closer to, that's just natural. The GTA Stories & DLC and MGS PSP games (except Peacewalker) get iced out of franchise retrospectives/re-releases despite Benzies/GTA leads and Kojima being involved in the productions. The Super Mario Land series has barely courtesy representation in the Super Mario Maker apps. It happens that some products in a long line of titles, especially side-games which still manage to garner a strong following, get less flowers, and it rankles those who love the full history or specifically a certain excellent side-game.

Criticism is fine, he's a bigwig and should be held accountable if products he produces have issues. But there's this weird thing from New Vegas-specific fans that I've never gotten a bead on.
Honestly I just think it's as simple as shit talking Todd in terms of new vegas. There's been several teams that have worked on fo and he's been the figure head for awhile.

I think it's just as easy as people being dipshits. Obsidian has a strong narrative developing team and that's one thing Bethesda fallout is a little weak on. There's that meme of fallout characters always searching for a family member.

Top Bottom