• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War series has sold over 22 million copies

Silky

Banned
Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

That's less than I would have guessed, to be honest. It's big, but I figured the games would actually be bigger.

The budgets were only $12m for the first two I think, so they cost a lot less to make than other AAA games due to the usage of Unreal Engine 3 at Epic, so the profit was very high for those. Need to add marketing costs as well though.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So how does this compare to the big Sony-franchises like Killzone, Uncharted, Infamous, Resistance and God of War?

E92 M3

Hmm, I am kinda underwhelmed with this number. I know it's a platform agnostic game (except for PC), but I figured it'd be at least at 30 million.

Kinthalis

Banned
I know people dump ont he story for this game, but t's probably the ONLY xbox exclusive game I wish would come to the PC. I liked the first one a lot.

Hmm, I am kinda underwhelmed with this number. I know it's a platform agnostic game (except for PC), but I figured it'd be at least at 30 million.

You mean platform "gnostic".

Platform agnostic is usually said for stuff that doesn't care for different platform because it's available and it works in all of them.

Somnid

Yeah I didn't get why people were calling the franchise "irrelevant" in the other thread. It's bigger than any Sony IP (except if you include legacy GT entries) and a great exclusive catalog builder for MS.

It's bigger than any of them, but Microsoft has generally had more success at each level of IP tier.

God of War is at 21 million over 7 titles and Uncharted is at 17 million over 4 titles as of the last updates.

Infamous, Killzone, and Resistance aren't really big franchises.

Wow if those numbers are right then Gears of War is really impressive sales wise, in 4 games they have achieved more sales than all God of War, and thats when PS2 was in its prime.

Leflus

That's roughly 5.5 million per game, on average. Nice. Gears of War is no Halo, and never will be as big, but it's still pretty damn big.
Keep in mind that Judgment sold considerably less than the mainline entries. The average for the numbered games is probably closer to 6.5 million.

Edit: Still not Halo numbers, though.

Ahasverus

Hmmm underwhelmed, this is considered a dude bro franchise yet Skyrim sold almost the sane than all of them together.
No one could ever deny its relevance though.

see5harp

This is the franchise that really got the whole coop shooter campaign thing going last gen. Hopefully with more horsepower, a new engine, and continuing to use dedicated servers will keep it good. Judgement was overkill and felt pretty stale to me.

EDIT: Let's compare this to Minecraft while we're making Skyrim comparisons.

So how does this compare to the big Sony-franchises like Killzone, Uncharted, Infamous, Resistance and God of War?

Roughly the same with Uncharted/GoW.

Killzone & inFamous are around the 1.5+ ~ 2+ mil range. No solid figures, but the ballpark's around there based on guesstimation + whatever figures available.

Resistance, I believe did 3m+, but sequel apparently didn't do too good, so I have no idea what it averages up to.

Yeah I didn't get why people were calling the franchise "irrelevant" in the other thread. It's bigger than any Sony IP (except if you include legacy GT entries) and a great exclusive catalog builder for MS.

Legacy?

GT5 sold 15 million with Prologue alone.

Also GoW was at 21 million 2 years ago, Kratos is most likely bigger than Gears.

harSon

Banned
That's less than I would have guessed, to be honest. It's big, but I figured the games would actually be bigger.

Well, the sales are probably front loaded with the first three entries in the series considering Judgement didn't sell too well, and considering that most of these sales are on one platform, it's pretty fucking good.

Riky

$MSFT
I presume Gears 3 must have got to Gears 2 sort of numbers to get to that sort of figure, maybe sales on Judgement have picked up as I saw it in Tesco last week for just £3.75.

A) Why would you discount Gran Turismo in order to suit your narrative, and B) it's about on par with Uncharted.

Yeah I updated. GT is bigger including 1-4 but not since PS3.

Gran Turismo 5 has sold more copies than any Halo instalment. Again, not sure why you're selectively ignoring some Sony games?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow if those numbers are right then Gears of War is really impressive sales wise, in 4 games they have achieved more sales than all God of War, and thats when PS2 was in its prime.

There's a reason so many co-op third person shooters popped up after Gears.

Then we started going down the Call of Duty game design path after it took off.

And now with Skyrim, GTA's resurgence, and Minecraft, we're all about open worlds.

Top Bottom