• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wind Waker HD sold 1 Million units. Good? Bad? Does this warrant more remakes?

Edit: Sales data:

Super Mario 3D World - 1.94 millions
New Super Mario Bros. U - 3.89 millions
New Super Luigi U - 1.51 millions
Wii Party U - 1.24 millions
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 1.15 millions
Nintendo Land - between 3 and 3.5 millions

All numbers include bundles and downloadable versions.

sources: 1 and 2

Original: In case this isn't known, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD has sold 1 Million copies so far worldwide:

With respect to “Wii U,” Nintendo released key first-party titles such as “The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD,” “Wii Party U” and “Super Mario 3D World” from the summer toward the year-end sales season. While these titles each sold over one million units,

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140129e.pdf (Page 3)

Is this considered good or bad for a remake sold for $50? Also a lot of the copies were surely from bundles so I don't know how much Nintendo would count as earned from those.

I personally think it's quite good after 3 months, especially considering the install base.

Should this encourage more remakes? Would remakes such as Xenoblade and such do well considering the likely short development and resources (remember Wind Waker HD took only 6 months!)?

I think so. I don't think Xenoblade would do a million, but I think it can do well if Nintendo use them to fill the barren line-up. People say Nintendo should focus on new games. Granted they should, but when you have (as far as we know) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze in February and Mario Kart 8 in May, I would think Nintendo could've easily gotten a team, even outsourced (Hexadrive helped with WWHD) to do them and placed them in said gaps. That's just my thought.

What say you GAF?

And I think this goes without saying; there's a time and place for you-know-what kind of discussion, keep this to the topic at hand, being remakes and how Wind Waker did all things considered, so no doomed talk please. Thanks. :)

It'd be a good way to plug holes in the release schedule and would keep the external studios they use for this stuff busy and employed, so it would probably be good for everyone if all the remakes used Wind Waker HD as a minimum bar.

terrisus

I would say it means that we're highly unlikely to get a "GCN Virtual Console," with remakes taking their place.
I'm fine with that though, since straight ports of console games I already own wouldn't do anything for me. Remakes are nice though.

Draconian

It's incredibly good when you consider the install base. I think the best bet for a remake is a Super Mario Galaxy collection. I'd be shocked if something like Xenoblade got one, because Nintendo will look for a title that they know will sell and has broader appeal.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I thunk a million units is pretty good considering the install base.

I'd be interested in full remakes with new assets and improved gameplay, and not just upscaled like a lot of past Nintendo releases.

shira

Nintendo is fine doing these remakes, but they really needs that homerun app or tech if they want to compete

It's very good and yes it warrants more. When you can churn these out quickly, fix some problems with the original release, and fill gaps in your release window, there's no reason not to.

-Horizon-

Only 6 months? I think that's pretty good.
Yeah, if WW found success, I think Nintendo should devote some resources just for HD remakes. Nintendo Vault: Classic Hits.
Cover GameCube games first, then move onto Wii games.

Probably. The ROI is still good because of the work done to HDify it was still little. Nintendo also has a working GC to Wii U HD engine that they can use now.

I agree. The sales do warrant further remakes because they require very little out of the company, but relative sales to other Wii U titles are high when bundled with Wii U hardware.

Remakes are good pack-in titles to offer as incentives.

Yuripaw

Banned
Considering the install base, I'd say that's very good. Even if that includes bundles sold, it means more people wanted to buy a Wii U for that game.

Nintendo also has a working GC to Wii U HD engine that they can use now.
If this works somewhat like that technology that developers use to port DirectX games to Mac (cider?) it could allow do a steady stream of releases of GCN games in glorious 1080p.

I'd definitely buy some of these especially if released at a reasonable price like $30/40, my gamecube library was pretty small and I missed out on titles like 1080, star fox, F Zero GX, and Mario Kart DD. (Didn't buy wind waker because I have it on cube already.)

ohlawd

I thunk a million units is pretty good considering the install base.

I'd be interested in full remakes with new assets and improved gameplay, and not just upscaled like a lot of past Nintendo releases.
what games? I'm drawing a blank.

Don't tell me you're counting WWHD as some half assed remaster with bloom.

Revven

I'd say so, yeah. As long as they make good choices on what to remake (Metroid Prime Trilogy would be amazeballs, F-Zero GX, or the Galaxy games) I would be interested in rebuying them if they're similar to what WWHD had changed.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Considering the gloom surrounding the Wii U, I was actually quite surprised by how good the sales figures are. (Wii Party U selling that well is especially surprising.) I'd prefer new games, but I don't mind the odd remake as a stopgap. Imagine an F-Zero remake.

As N64 was confirmed for Wii U VC (though a long time ago...) I don't see N64 games getting the same treatment.

Luckily as Wii was a beefier GC, then adjusting the GC-to-Wii U engine used in WWHD should be easy as pie.

I would adore a Sunshine remake, the game looked great as it was, just imagine it with better textures and lighting and in glorious 1080p.

didn't it only take them 6 months to make it? if so thats a good return for their efforts.

I have no problem paying 50 for an HD remake like WWHD, seeing the effort and care they put into it; the fresh coat of paint they gave it is more than some of the ps2 remakes got, plus i dont recall any new or game breaking bugs coming out for it.

there are a ton of good games on GC and Wii that I would love to see remade in HD. More of these would be a great addition to the wiiU library, and if they can pump them out in 6 months then it shouldn't take too many resources away from new wiiu games. Hell, they have enough money they should prop up another dev studio who's sole job is to do HD remakes.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
didn't it only take them 6 months to make it? if so thats a good return for their efforts.

I have no problem paying 50 for an HD remake like WWHD, seeing the effort and care they put into it; the fresh coat of paint they gave it is more than some of the ps2 remakes got, plus i dont recall any new or game breaking bugs coming out for it.

there are a ton of good games on GC and Wii that I would love to see remade in HD. More of these would be a great addition to the wiiU library, and if they can pump them out in 6 months then it shouldn't take too many resources away from new wiiu games. Hell, they have enough money they should prop up another dev studio who's sole job is to do HD remakes.

Yep took 6 months. Don't see how this wasn't a great profit venture for Nintendo.

6 months of work to update a great game in a classic franchise that netted them over a million in sales and obviously some hardware sales as well.

PS: I'd kill for a Metroid Prime HD remake.

oatmeal

Banned
Even if bundled, that's good news!

Now give us a SMG HD bundle, and then work your way through some catalogue GC games. Get two teams going on them, bring two out every six months, or one every three months, rinse and repeat.

Tripon

I do think Nintendo should have down TP for the first HD Zelda remake if they wanted more Wii owners to upgrade, but Anouma loves Wind Waker, and that's what they picked. I don't buy that TP or SS looked ugly in their attempts to upscale their past works. Maybe uglier than what WW HD turned to be, but those games still look great in Dolphin, and it wouldn't have been that much work compared to WWHD turned out to be.

Ah well, C'est la vie, they can still do it now.

KiN0

I want a Twilight Princess remake in the same vain as Wind Waker.

I would like this but I'm not sure if it'd be possible to play with just the gamepad, how would you collect/shoot Starbits?

Collecting star bits could be done on the touch screen along with alot of the pointer functions.

AaronB

I don't expect HD remakes of Wii games, because they're already backwards compatible and it's a little too soon. The only exception is Xenoblade, because it was limited by supply and they want to increase visibility of X, but I still don't think it's too likely. An HD Mario Galaxy collection sometime during the next generation (after Wii U) would make sense to me, though.

There aren't a lot of GC or earlier games I would pay $50 for, if the remake is comparable to WW HD (that is, nicely enhanced but nothing like extra areas).

What I'd really like are HD collections of series where only some entries appeared on Nintendo systems - especially RPGs. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales, Kingdom Hearts...I bet HD collections of any of them would do surprisingly well.

Sinistral

If we stick to GC era HD remakes. I'd love to play Metroid Prime Trilogy, Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmins, F-Zero GX. These games seem like they would take a while for a true current gen incarnation to come (sans pikmin).

seady

I like it when they do remake like this with hearts. But when Nintendo treat this remake as one of the only two leading title for the holiday (alongside Mario), something is not right.

Prime Trilogy HD plz. (Lol no the sales were too low for this to happen. Would like to see it as a "gauge of interest title")

Cost to profit wise, it probably made good money. I can see them pulling the same with other games as a stop gap for the release calendar, with ports of N64 games to the 3ds.

Not bad!

I wouldn't mind seeing more HD ports/remakes to be honest. I think they need to be priced a bit better though... oh who am I kidding? I'll buy them anyways! :D I'd love to see Metroid Prime Trilogy HD. It's impossible to find and I'd rather not buy it used.

Top Bottom