• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - Words of Radiance |OT| Stormlight Archives Book 2 (March 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

The first copies of Words of Radiance have arrived in Brandon Sanderson's hands.

His cat is already reading it.

1010789_10151890099255009_1737985755_n.jpg

The book will be released March 4th in all formats including Audiobook (recorded by Michael Kramer & Kate Reading) on the same day as the text editions.

I you need daily previews and hype leading up to the release, Tor is here to help.

Go here and sign up for daily previews starting February 11th.

Tor has also posted some preview chapters:

Prologue, One & Two

Three, Four and Five

Six, Eight, Nine

Ten, Twelve, Fourteen and Interlude 1-1

PLEASE SPOILER TAG ANY DISCUSSION OF WORDS OF RADIANCE IN THIS THREAD

EVEN AFTER RELEASE

EVEN AFTER RELEASE

EVEN AFTER RELEASE

Way Of Kings spoilers and plot discussion does not have to be spoiler tagged.

However, if you want to be friendly to those who may be new to the series, you can spoiler tag it and label it as WoK Spoilers.

We are so close......I can taste it.

1898759_10151890098650009_1817844263_o.jpg

Telaso

Banned
This little burb from amazon I found interesting.

"The Stormlight Archive sequence began in 2010 with the New York Times bestseller The Way of Kings. Now, the eagerly anticipated Words of Radiance continues the epic story and answers many of your questions."

I call BS on this.

Kaladin

This little burb from amazon I found interesting.

"The Stormlight Archive sequence began in 2010 with the New York Times bestseller The Way of Kings. Now, the eagerly anticipated Words of Radiance continues the epic story and answers many of your questions."

I call BS on this.

It's the second book of a planned ten book series.

We may get answers, but the answers will come in the form of questions.

fanboi

Banned
Is there any up to speed site for the first book?

I remember a lot I believe, the mystery man at the end and on of the ... cant remember the name came walking.

Also how it ended with Kalinor (?) joining that kings uncles army (name?).

Was fucking epic.

Necrovex

I remember a lot I believe, the mystery man at the end and on of the ... cant remember the name came walking.

Was fucking epic.

God, those final two hundred pages were so damn epic. My emotions were all over the place.

lightus

Was fucking epic.

I prefer reading wikis:

http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Category:The_Way_of_Kings

Evilpigking also linked this nice chapter-by-chapter break down in the other thread:

http://www.tor.com/features/series/the-way-of-kings-reread-on-torcom

ultron87

God, those final two hundred pages were so damn epic. My emotions were all over the place.

Yeah, the entire Battle of the Tower segment is one of the most exciting things I've read in quite awhile. I remember I was reading it super late at night and was quite tired but I just couldn't stop reading.

I honestly thought Dalinar was going to get Game of Thrones-ed for awhile there when the big betrayal happened.

My most anticipated book of the year. Yes, please!

I've already pre-ordered the Kindle book (since, you know, digital shortages...ummm, I'm giving Amazon an interest free loan).

Clegg

By reading the preview chapters it looks like Jasnah and Shallan are
looking for a Knights Radiant ; that's Kaladin presumably.

Tbh I have no idea how Sanderson is going to get 10 books out of this. I know all the books he's written share the same universe so there'll be connection made with them. But still, 10 books is an awful lot.

Kaladin

Was planning on getting the kindle version day 1, but upon seeing the hardcover...

I've pre-ordered the kindle, hardcover (those illustrations man) and the audiobook.

I mean, I may not read the hardcover aside from looking at the illustrations which may or may not make the kindle edition, but it'll look nice sitting on my physical book shelf.

By reading the preview chapters it looks like
Jasnah and Shallan are looking for a Knights Radiant ; that's Kaladin presumably.

Tbh I have no idea how Sanderson is going to get 10 books out of this. I know all the books he's written share the same universe so there'll be connection made with them. But still, 10 books is an awful lot.

Spoiler tag WOR discussion please.

Razzer

Looking forward to this, way of kings was superb, I only wish I could find it to give it a reread before the new one but I seem to have misplaced it.

Kaladin

Too bad i'm in the middle of another series, or i'd gladly jumped on this bandwagon.

This bandwagon is young and will only pick up steam as we go through 10 planned books.

Or the bandwagon could be a slave caravan heading to endless torture on Bridge #4.

Piecake

A month away...

I am avoiding reading those chapters since I don't like reading books on my computer and I feel like it would just be one big tease. Definitely looking forward to it because I love the first

lightus

First time I heard about this. What's so special about it?

It's just the sequel to a new fantasy series. Book one was generally well received, so many are excited for book two. It seems a lot of longer book series are older or already a good ways along, so it's cool to be at the start.

Tucah

you speak so well
I only got maybe 200 pages into the first book but I really enjoyed what I read. Looks like I have a month to read the rest!

Woorloog

Banned
I'll finish my re-read of A Memory of Light and then i'll re-read (for... 5th time?) The Way of Kings.
Can't wait.

I can't wait. The Way of Kings was one of my all-time favorite fantasy series debuts. At first I thought I'd be able to start on chapter 15, then I realized they skipped some chapters in the previews. This is going to be a long month.

First time I heard about this. What's so special about it?

Do you know anything about the author? He's one of the most prolific fantasy authors out there, but still manages consistently high quality.

He could be writing the next yellow pages and I'd be hyped for it.

You should make March's Book Club, Words of Radiance. ;-)

That is Cyan's bag...I'm the B-team.

Sadly, this wouldn't be a good fit since it's a sequel and not everyone has read the first part, and the length is a bit hefty for the usual one month club nomination.

Having said that, it can definitely be our book of the month. It's certainly mine.

Kaladin

That is Cyan's bag...I'm the B-team.

Sadly, this wouldn't be a good fit since it's a sequel and not everyone has read the first part, and the length is a bit hefty for the usual one month club nomination.

Having said that, it can definitely be our book of the month. It's certainly mine.

Month?

**looks at page count**

1088 pages

Try a few months.

Month?

**looks at page count**

1088 pages

Try a few months.

That's the same length as the first, which means I'll finish it in about 2-3 weeks. If I really pressed, I could finish it in a week (but, you know, work and family).

The deal is we can't put those milestones up in a book club thread, since those tend to be a bit more leisure in pace. Cyan is considering making a longer book like this be a two month book club nomination, which makes sense.

Mistborn books.

On my to read list, but I've never heard them referenced as prequels. I understand he does the whole shared universe setup, but is there a legitimate connection between the series?

Piecake

That's the same length as the first, which means I'll finish it in about 2-3 weeks. If I really pressed, I could finish it in a week (but, you know, work and family).

The deal is we can't put those milestones up in a book club thread, since those tend to be a bit more leisure in pace. Cyan is considering making a longer book like this be a two month book club nomination, which makes sense.

I think this is a poor choice for the book of the month club. THere will be plenty of discussion in this thread and in the what are you reading thread. I always thought the point of the book of the month club was to pick a more 'literary' and less widely read book so you could discuss its themes, etc.

On my to read list, but I've never heard them referenced as prequels. I understand he does the whole shared universe setup, but is there a legitimate connection between the series?

No, just basically shared universe easter eggs

Kaladin

I know the OP is lacking a bit on explaining this series. It's kind of hard to explain it with a quick paragraph or two actually. it's a deep storyline and while it isn't as involved as Song of Ice and Fire, it would take more than most people are willing to read to cover the first book well enough and explain the world and plot.

I think this is a poor choice for the book of the month club. THere will be plenty of discussion in this thread and in the what are you reading thread. I always thought the point of the book of the month club was to pick a more 'literary' and less widely read book so you could discuss its themes, etc.

Bingo. That's a more direct approach to what I was getting at. It may be one of the most read books among the "What are you reading?" crowd, but not really book club fodder.

It would fit better in a fantasy/science fiction book of the month club, but we don't really need that thread or more fragmentation in Reading GAF.

I think the Mistborn series takes place in the "Cosmere" but are not counted as a prequel to The Stormlight Archive. (I haven't yet read the Mistborn series, just going off of what I've heard)

That makes sense. Nothing I've heard about Mistborn seems very connected the the Stormlight Archives.

Necrovex

It was mostly a joke. I like how the Book Club looks at important and acclaimed pieces of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom