• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - Words of Radiance |OT| Stormlight Archives Book 2 (March 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
final_crisis_hc.jpg

Unfortunately i do not get the reference. I don't read comics.
Hell, i don't understand superheroes, they're so... American thing (sure, there's some in Europe but as a thing, it is decidedly American thing).

Faiz

I think he actually hinted that he might do one, but it would be years from now.
And i figure he would write it so that you don't have had to read his other books for it to make sense. I hope.

Yeah, if I recall correctly when someone suggested that Stormlight Archive was the series that will frame out the overarching story of the Cosmere he said something on the order of 'it's not... That's a different series'.

Which of course could mean anything at this point. He has a grand plan, but plans do change!

Kaladin

Unfortunately i do not get the reference. I don't read comics.
Hell, i don't understand superheroes, they're so... American thing (sure, there's some in Europe but as a thing, it is decidedly American thing).

It was a big story event encompassing multiple books and characters in one world / universe changing event and yeah, you were kind of lost if you didn't know a bit of DC history.

Kaladin

Figures. I'd imagine it is made for hardcore fans specifically though?

It was actually a fairly major DC Universe event that altered many storylines and was pretty much required reading.

Brief synopsis:

Darkseid unleashes the Anti-Life Equation on the Earth and puts much of the planet under his heel, while Superman travels through the Multiverse to find that all of the events are being manipulated by a rogue Monitor. The series sees Superman's in-depth exploration of the Multiverse, as well as the perceived death of Batman at the hands of Darkseid's Omega Effect. After he is killed the Multiverse starts to be destroyed, meaning Supermen from other worlds must be called up.

I doubt Sanderson would do something like this for the Cosmere though. I can see Sanderson writing a novel or a trilogy to tie up the connections and have an overarching storyline that threatens the connections throughout the Cosmere, or the entire Cosmere itself that forces characters from his different worlds to work together.

cdkee

Banned
Finished the book today!

Man, that was good. I had hoped it would keep going! I got excited when my kindle showed me Words of Radiance, but it turned out to just be a pre-order page :(

Oh well, a few weeks to go...but man, I didn't know this was supposed to be a 10-book series. GRRM already owns a bit of my soul with ASOIAF, and now I think Sanderson has as well.

hamchan

Final Crisis

I tried to read this before and it was incomprehensible. Terrible event comic and I really enjoyed previous big DC comics events like Infinite Crisis too. I hope Sanderson never ever makes something as bad as Final Crisis.

-

I finished reading The Emperor's Soul a couple of days ago and it was pretty great. Shai is a good protagonist with interesting abilities and I wouldn't mind seeing her again in another book. Even though it's supposed to be set in the same world as Elantris I didn't really notice any connections at all, maybe because my memories of Elantris are a bit fuzzy at this point.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Can't wait for this book. Wish Sanderson would narrow his focus so there's not decades between books like I feel there is, but I can't hate too much when nearly everything he writes is a good read.

Can't wait for this book. Wish Sanderson would narrow his focus so there's not decades between books like I feel there is, but I can't hate too much when nearly everything he writes is a good read.
He won't have to finish WOT again, so there shouldn't be any more huge gaps. The actual writing didn't take that long for a book this size.

hamchan

Do you know what the timeline is for the books? 2 years each or so? Or more?

I can't take another GRRM :(

It's been like 3 and a half years since the first book came out I think.

If Sanderson really wanted to he could finish a book a year in this series at the pace he writes, or maybe even less time than that.

cdkee

Banned
Can anyone recommend any other series similar to this while we wait for WoR?

I liked ASOIAF. I've heard people mention the wheel of time, the first law, and some others.

Zona

I liked ASOIAF. I've heard people mention the wheel of time, the first law, and some others.

I enjoyed The Wheel of Time more the ASOIAN by a large amount personally. May just be that I enjoy High/Epic fantasy more then the gritty/low fantasy Martin writes. For those who hate waiting between books it also has this charming trait of being finished. Heh

hamchan

I found the Wheel of Time extremely slow paced compared to a Sanderson series or ASOIAF. I got stuck somewhere in the 4th book because I was just plain bored of it, though I still plan to go through it eventually. It's one of the most well known fantasy series after all.

Have you read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? That gets a lot of love around here too.

Nezumi

Soooo hyped for this! Gotta start my re-read of Way of Kings soon.
Sadly I have to wait until the 6th because I preordered a kindle-version that somehow is released two days later :/

arkon

Do you know what the timeline is for the books? 2 years each or so? Or more?

I can't take another GRRM :(

He says about 18-24 months. The Stormlight Archive is his main project now but he shifts focus to smaller side projects in between to keep from getting burnt out. At the moment he's got the Steelheart trilogy, Rithmatist sequel(s) and Alloy of Law sequels as side projects.

I imagine he'll start on book 3 once he's finished with his WoR tour and signing events. So a 2016 release assuming the writing goes smoothly.. Worth following his blog as he gives regular updates on his projects.

Wurst

He says about 18-24 months. The Stormlight Archive is his main project now but he shifts focus to smaller side projects in between to keep from getting burnt out. At the moment he's got the Steelheart trilogy, Rithmatist sequel(s) and Alloy of Law sequels as side projects.

I imagine he'll start on book 3 once he's finished with his WoR tour and signing events. So a 2016 release assuming the writing goes smoothly.. Worth following his blog as he gives regular updates on his projects.

He's currently writing the Legion sequel (subtitled "Skin Deep"). He just finished the first draft for Firefight (Steelheart sequel), too. Isn't it Elantris' 10th anniversary next year? He wanted to write a sequel for that.

Anyways, there's a chance he starts writing Book Three soon. Good thing is that he actually keeps writing and putting out stuff.

Kattbuss

Really looking forward to this. My dilemma right now is if I should take a break from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series to read this. Or should I finish Malazan and then read this.... Decisions, decisions.

And then there's the new Jim Butcher in May and I know that will be my top priority over everything else.

arkon

He's currently writing the Legion sequel (subtitled "Skin Deep"). He just finished the first draft for Firefight (Steelheart sequel), too. Isn't it Elantris' 10th anniversary next year? He wanted to write a sequel for that.

Anyways, there's a chance he starts writing Book Three soon. Good thing is that he actually keeps writing and putting out stuff.

I didn't bother mentioning that as I consider it a side-side-project of his :p Especially if it's of similar length to the first one.

Just had a look through his tweets and he mentions Rithmatist 2 is next with stormlight 3 coming up very quickly.

scently

Really looking forward to this. My dilemma right now is if I should take a break from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series to read this. Or should I finish Malazan and then read this.... Decisions, decisions.

And then there's the new Jim Butcher in May and I know that will be my top priority over everything else.

I have to ask, where are you in the Malazan Book of the Fallen? I have finished the series and didn't enjoy it. My personal opinion is that you should read the Way of Kings.

Wurst

I have to ask, where are you in the Malazan Book of the Fallen? I have finished the series and didn't enjoy it. My personal opinion is that you should read the Way of Kings.

As I'm thinking about diving into the series: Why didn't you like it?

Kattbuss

Right now, I'm about 70% done with Deadhouse Gates. Like the book before it, it is really picking up in pace now and I'm having a hard time putting it down. How come you didn't enjoy the series?

Most likely, I'll read Word of Radiance in between Malazan books.

Meteorain

Oh man, it's so close. I want to read it so much right now :(

I'll re-read WoK to get all that shit fresh in my mind soon. Gotta be prepared!

Yep I read this last week. Oh man, this book was so good. Just could not put it down. I think I said it in the "what are you reading" thread but I cannot believe this had to self publish. It's so much better than some of the books I've read in the past. He really needs to get more recognition.

scently

Right now, I'm about 70% done with Deadhouse Gates. Like the book before it, it is really picking up in pace now and I'm having a hard time putting it down. How come you didn't enjoy the series?

Most likely, I'll read Word of Radiance in between Malazan books.

Ah I see. Then yeah, its still very fun at this point. I feel the book lost a lot of steam after at the end of the Bridgeburners arc. It goes a bit sideways and lost focus after that. It was just all over the place, especially toward the last books. But that's just my opinion anyway.

Faiz

I tried to read this before and it was incomprehensible. Terrible event comic and I really enjoyed previous big DC comics events like Infinite Crisis too. I hope Sanderson never ever makes something as bad as Final Crisis.

Final Crisis was difficult because it was Grant Morrison being as "Grant Morrison" as humanly possible, not because it was deeply steeped in its own mythology. I really don't believe anyone has anything to worry about similarities there.

I finished reading The Emperor's Soul a couple of days ago and it was pretty great. Shai is a good protagonist with interesting abilities and I wouldn't mind seeing her again in another book. Even though it's supposed to be set in the same world as Elantris I didn't really notice any connections at all, maybe because my memories of Elantris are a bit fuzzy at this point.

Yeah there isn't much if anything there to connect it at all. It takes place in an entirely different part of the world - same continent as Teod (though geographically separated) which itself is across the sea from Elantris/Arelon where the story of Elantris takes place.

Kattbuss

Ah I see. Then yeah, its still very fun at this point. I feel the book lost a lot of steam after at the end of the Bridgeburners arc. It goes a bit sideways and lost focus after that. It was just all over the place, especially toward the last books. But that's just my opinion anyway.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully our opinions will turn out to differ :)

Qvoth

Yep I read this last week. Oh man, this book was so good. Just could not put it down. I think I said it in the "what are you reading" thread but I cannot believe this had to self publish. It's so much better than some of the books I've read in the past. He really needs to get more recognition.

dafuq?
that's a travesty, because it's reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally good
any books of similar quality came out in 2013?

Meteorain

dafuq?
that's a travesty, because it's reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally good
any books of similar quality came out in 2013?

I think he got picked up after the first book came out. He's got cover art and everything now. Second book expected to come out later this year.

I don't think there's any risk of that with Sanderson. He can turn out a couple of books a year, even when he rarely seems to write anything shorter than 500 pages. He's impressively prolific.
No question he's more prolific than GRRM, but Sanderson's epic is still going to be a 20+ year effort.

cdkee

Banned

Jeez...sounds like he's a machine.

Any of you read the Mistborn trilogy? How are those books to keep me occupied until WoR?

Pollux

Jeez...sounds like he's a machine.

Any of you read the Mistborn trilogy? How are those books to keep me occupied until WoR?

Really good trilogy. There's also a 4th book out in the same universe...Alloy of Law, which is also fairly good. It takes place a few hundred years after the conclusion of the trilogy and provides a good insight into how the world has changed. Highly recommend reading all of them.

Also would recommend reading Elantris...It's not as polished as his more recent work, but it was his first novel and it's pretty good. I hear he's planning on writing a sequel sometime soon so now might be a good time to read it.

If you like all that I HIGHLY recommend Warbreaker. Actually, I would recommend you read Warbreaker before reading Elantris. I would honestly recommend Warbreaker before Mistborn as well, but I'm biased since I think Warbreaker is one of his best books yet. It has one of the more unique magic systems that I've seen in fantasy and it's a standalone book so you don't have to worry about getting yourself wrapped up in another long series.

Really good trilogy. There's also a 4th book out in the same universe...Alloy of Law, which is also fairly good. It takes place a few hundred years after the conclusion of the trilogy and provides a good insight into how the world has changed. Highly recommend reading all of them.

Also would recommend reading Elantris...It's not as polished as his more recent work, but it was his first novel and it's pretty good. I hear he's planning on writing a sequel sometime soon so now might be a good time to read it.

If you like all that I HIGHLY recommend Warbreaker. Actually, I would recommend you read Warbreaker before reading Elantris. I would honestly recommend Warbreaker before Mistborn as well, but I'm biased since I think Warbreaker is one of his best books yet. It has one of the more unique magic systems that I've seen in fantasy and it's a standalone book so you don't have to worry about getting yourself wrapped up in another long series.
Listen to this advice. It is all good.

Kaladin

Some of you may know, Brandon Sanderson does signed editions of his novels through Weller Books. They started doing pre-orders for the signed edition of Words of Radiance on Feb. 7th (they're long gone btw) and I asked about getting a copy of Way of Kings signed also since I missed it when it released. They've got back to me finally and I'm now getting both books signed. Probably going to wind up with the entire set by the time it's done.

I also got Steelheart signed from Weller Books. These signed first editions cost no more than the hardcover you'll get in a store + shipping, and they're great collector pieces.

cdkee

Banned

Thanks...I'll definitely check them out.

Mistborn are a little bit more "by the numbers" than WoK, though, so be warned. Very heavy on explaining the magic system and a bit lighter on plot development. Still great reads.

fanboi

Banned
While Mistborn was a OK series... Stormlight Archives is, so far, a much better series (yes yes one book)... and is more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom