• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So you can buy a full $60 game by pressing d-pad left x, x, x, x on the DS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What.

What. The. Fuck.

Are you serious? Try it and tell me what happens.

Because (Stories with my nephews continued), I came home today and it was very clear that my nephews had been in my room. There was a bottle on the floor. The blankets were all over the place. My PS4 was on. So I turn on my TV, and what do I see? None other than Lara fucking Croft greeting me. I'm like hmm... Demo? Back out to dash. Nope, the notification reads Tomb Raider: DE installed. 10:27 am.

How the hell?!

So, if you could, go to your dash press up, left, x, x, x, x and tell me if it gets you into a purchase screen.

slabrock

Banned
and psn crashes from everyone rushing to it at once to try it lol

Edit: misread and thought it was a free game glitch

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Okay? Require password on checkout if necessary. Better yet, don't link your credit card.

Just tried it with Assassin's Creed (game two slots to the right from TR on the store) and sure enough you can buy it that easily. Yea, Sony is getting a call from me be and I better get a refund.

What.

What. The. Fuck.

Because (Stories with my nephews continued), I came home today and it was very clear that my nephews had been in my room. There was a bottle on the floor. The blankets were all over the place. My PS4 was on. So I turn on my TV, and what do I see? None other than Lara fucking Croft greeting me. I'm like hmm... Demo? Back out to dash. Nope, the notification reads Tomb Raider: DE installed. 10:27 am.

How the hell?!

So, if you could, go to your dash press up, left, x, x, x, x and tell me if it gets you into a purchase screen.

Yeah... that's not how things work. How the hell did they manage to purchase something without your PSN password though? Or did they have it somehow?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Woah! It does! Don't accidentally press up and left and then x a whole bunch of times in a row.

Hahaha. Nice. Just call Sony and ask for a refund. If it's your first time they'll do it without even pestering you. At least it's a good game. They make it so easy =P

Is the option to have it ask for a password before checkout not implemented yet?

Beant

To be helpful, call up Sony and honestly explain what happened. They may offer you a ONE time gesture of good will and reverse the purchase.

Yeah... that's not how things work. How the hell did they manage to purchase something without your PSN password though? Or did they have it somehow?
It clearly is how things work, as others can attest to in this thread.

Damn it. Now I want to try it to see if it's worth keeping or not. Decisions, decisions.

Demon Ice

Banned
You should probably keep a better eye on your nephew instead of wanting Sony to make the purchase process more convoluted.

Vodh

Like that's unique to PSN. Buying a $100.000 NES game from Ebay is so easy it can be done by a toddler.

Carnby

Just tried it with Assassin's Creed (game two slots to the right from TR on the store) and sure enough you can buy it that easily. Yea, Sony is getting a call from me be and I better get a refund.

One Sony rep thought they heard every story... until today.

Dude, you're not getting your money back.

What.

What. The. Fuck.

How the hell?!

Hey that DS4 saved your Nephew's life so it had to cost something! $60 is a small price to pay. ;b

But on a more serious note. WTF are you doing leaving your PS4 with no security passcode input from your controller? Go under security and change that shit asap!

BTW thats some nephew you got there. Smart enough to press that in the same exact order lol.

You can get a refund if you call Sony within the day. Just don't tell them your nephew did it because even I have a hard time believing it.

Also was it PSN credit or CC charge?

It could have possibly been one of your other relatives.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
It clearly is how things work, as others can attest to in this thread.

Damn it. Now I want to try it to see if it's worth keeping or not. Decisions, decisions.
If you don't like it, you can burn your Get Out Of Jail Free card on the purchase and get a refund with minimal hassle. If you do, I suggest you keep it and use the card for when you really really regret a purchase.

hawk2025

OP nephews buying a game without his permission that's what this thread is about.

Right, but why does it need a "check"?

Yes, there's a sequence of commands that gets you to the store and purchases content? Why is that surprising?

I'm missing the joke, aren't I? :(

Axiom

I had this happen when my little cousin purchased a Snoopy game on the 360, from that point on I required a password on any checkout.

This also is a good way to avoid the glitch when you're charged full price for a "free" PS+ game, as you won't be asked for a password for only free purchases, but if one is glitched then it will ask.

Fox Mulder

I don't understand the significance of this Konami code-like sequence.

kid pushed a bunch of buttons and ended up buying a game. The same buttons you'd press if you were intentionally going through screens to buy something. Nothing wrong really, just shows why everyone should enable passwords at checkout.

emb

I never let kids play my games unattented, because I'm weary of games that erase data just as easily. I've never really had it happen, but apparently I erased my brother's half-finished FFIII/VI when I didn't know better. :(

But yeah, I wouldn't recommend saving credit card information either. But then I never buy much digital, so I guess I don't realize how annoying it would get to put it in all the time.

With the TV off and the PS4 booted up:

Up goes to the top bar
Left goes to the Store
X Selects the Store
X goes to the Welcome Page
X Chooses Tomb Raider
X Adds To Cart
X Confirms Purchase.

Right, but why does it need a "check"?

Yes, there's a sequence of commands that gets you to the store and purchases content? Why is that surprising?

I'm missing the joke, aren't I? :(
It's literally up, left, x x x x x. That's far too easy, as my one and a half year old nephew would tell you if he could form coherent sentences.

The cursor should default to Cancel, not Confirm on the purchase screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom