• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Weekly update; Beta out in 2 months?

viveks86

Just read their Bungie Weekly Update and it sounds like the beta will start in May!

This week at Bungie, we entered a new phase of development.

The strife and conflict of the Pentathlon fades in our rear-view mirror. A fresh build of Destiny sits on every desk in the studio - a monument to a battle for the ages. Four dueling schools have laid down arms to reconstruct our union. Our team has been reunited.

This great time of reckoning will not be the end of our journey. If you’re thinking you’re two months from seeing this game on your shelf, I’m still here to ask you to put on the brakes. The next phase awaits, in which you’ll be invited to launch head-long into the world we’ve constructed, like a test pilot clad in exotic armor.

I might be reading too much into it, but it sounds like a good time to do a beta for a game as massive as Destiny. They mention the same time frame towards the end.

over the next eight weeks, Luke will implore me to walk the floor more often, to watch as what you will call Destiny emerges. I’ll share what I can.

Other interesting quotes:
Another humid day on Venus. The sulfur pools before me, my hands rest in my lap. The Judge begins the countdown: “3… 2… 1… GO!” Fireteams begin the race to be the fastest Strike team in the land. My Middle School compatriots and I race across the planet on our Shrikes.

The Shrikes are the real deal after all! For more info go here

Will you allow gamers to stream the beta on twitch from their PS4/Xbox One this summer?

We will do far more than allow you to share your glorious war stories from the frontier. We’ll amplify your voices, if they are brave. Some of you will even be selected to play a role in our stories, as we go to war with (and against) our community in the wild for the first time. That will be as glorious a moment for us as it will be for you.

So far, all of the trailers, in-engine and screenshots of Destiny have looked really awesome. Will the final build on next gen (particularly PS4) product look as clean and smooth as what we've been shown?

What you have seen is not even our final form.

In the moon trailer, we see that big chain several times as the guardians go down into the hell mouth. They never showed the end of the big chain.

(They did)
chainbreaker.jpg

When do you guys gear up for GDC? Can we expect something big this year?

That all depends on how curious you are. The Game Developers Conference is where alpha geeks converge to discuss their craft. We’re sending six of ours. They’re pulling back their respective curtains to show off the buttons and levers that will drive things like your face, your armor, your career search, and our development processes. In the words of Bruce Wayne, it’s all a bit technical.

We’ll carve a few notes from their sheet music so you can sing along, assuming you can follow their rhythm.

Simo

Just read the update and caught that too, they had been posting new (or at least seemed new) screenshots this week mentioning the beta that I expected the Weekly Update to mention a date.

Hopefully that's the case!

DJIzana

I am hype for this. Honestly this is the only FPS type of game I'm excited for. Unless Cliffy B starts his project soon.

Simo

Where do you sign up for the weekly update? Would be into the beta starting in May.

They're posted on Bungie's site every Friday:
http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---02282014/en/News/News?aid=11440

There used to be a time on GAF when a new thread was made every week for the Weekly Update when they were developing Halo.

Double checked and the screenshots weren't new but from the last batch released. Ah well, still worth reposting!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You might be reading too much into it, but I hope not! I want this game ASAP.

Simo

As the smoke cleared from the air, Luke Smith stopped by my desk. When he stops by, I listen. In the golden age of Halo 3, he walked this very beat. Now, he’s a game designer with grand conspiracies to send you screaming into the darkness of Destiny’s endgame. Like a veteran of the force, as he did the other day, he imparts his wisdom on rookie cops like me.

“Can you feel it?” he asked. “This is my favorite part. These next eight weeks are where it all comes together.”

“Closing at Bungie is when we look at the game we have now, the people we have here, and the time left on the clock to make what our fans will call Destiny.”

This is when the best memories from game development are made, when late night conversations form unbreakable bonds of friendship and teamwork.

“The people here are about to be a part of something that is a once-in-a-career opportunity. We have to use what little time we have left.”

“I can’t wait to see how we’re going to land it.”

Something is about to happen in 8 weeks. lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There used to be a time on GAF when a new thread was made every week for the Weekly Update when they were developing Halo.
I imagine we'll be back to weekly threads when Bungie starts putting out worthwhile information each week.

Chris_C

I'd really like to know if folks who pre-order the digital version will get access to the beta. I have no plans on getting a physical version.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd really like to know if folks who pre-order the digital version will get access to the beta. I have no plans on getting a physical version.
Just order it on Amazon then cancel it.

It's not super cool, but it's Sony/MS fault for having an under developed infrastructure.

N30RYU

Gold Member
I preodered a physical version and redeemed the beta code. As soon as I get into the beta I will cancel my preorder and preorder the digital one once it become available in europe.

Just in case amazon could talk bungie to disable some beta codes already redeemed.

Chris_C

Just order it on Amazon then cancel it.

It's not super cool, but it's Sony/MS fault for having an under developed infrastructure.

I preodered a physical version and redeemed the beta code. As soon as I get into the beta I will cancel my preorder and preorder the digital one once it become available in europe.

Just in case amazon could talk bungie to disable some beta codes already redeemed.

Well, I suppose I'll go ahead and do that.

Bsigg12

Since we have a Destiny thread up, have there been more codes for the cards released? Like 2 months ago I was up to date on all the cards but I'm not sure if there are more now.

If the game is gonna release in september, I don't really think that we're gonna get the beta more than 2 months before release.

That is exactly how they handled Halo 3. Beta in May, launch in September.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If the game is gonna release in september, I don't really think that we're gonna get the beta more than 2 months before release.
The Reach beta was in May and the final game in September, so who knows.

If it's a legitimate Beta test rather than a marketing "beta" then it could easily be started earlier than 2 months before launch. A legitimate Beta would be looking to actually find bugs and fix them.

N30RYU

Gold Member
If it's a legitimate Beta test rather than a marketing "beta" then it could easily be started earlier than 2 months before launch. A legitimate Beta would be looking to actually find bugs and fix them.
Online game betas looks more to stress servers than find bugs... but who knows.

Also the beta will be first on PS3 and PS4... lets hope to get our hands on it soon.

Gorillaz

I remember there was talk of a August beta, but that sounds way too close to their desired release. Especially something as big as this.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was late spring or summer

Online game betas looks more to stress servers than find bugs... but who knows.

Also the beta will be first on PS3 and PS4... lets hope to get our hands on it soon.

Actually typically when Devs are trying to stress the servers they do short concentrated testing times to pressure as many players to log in at once to push the servers. Anywhere from a few hours on a single day to a few days. A beta that doesn't have time restrictions is usually looking for extraneous bugs that made it past internal testers as well as bugs that are found as a result of a large amount of users doing a ton of things at once (slightly different from server stress).

In any case, the point is that if it's a true Beta, there's no reason not to test it well enough ahead of release as to fix any problems that can pop up.

I just want to point out that if you have to "read into it" then it is probably not a confirmation or announcement of anything. They'll probably make it loud and clear when they actually reveal beta dates.

Skeff

May is the perfect time for a Beta for a September release, If you want to fix bugs or balance issues found in a Beta, your going to actually need time to do so.

I hope this is the case. Im dying to get my hands on this game. I think ill go down and pre order tomorrow and redeem my beta code.

LycanXIII

I hope the beta lasts a good length. I don't want to be teased by the game for a week, and then go weeks/months without it again.

I still don't understand this game at all...

is it like Planetside 2? 2000 players in one server fighting each other and aliens in this case?
Is there a story?
will there be many vehicles?

Obscured

Yeah, I kind of doubt that anything Titanfall has done (or any other game for that matter) has changed Bungie's plan for how they are going to roll out. Those guys seem to do what they feel like and it usually works out fairly well. All of the pre-order cards in stores still say spring 2014 and I'm disappointed I won't be playing the full game by then, but definitely sounds like that is beta time then. Though since I'm going all digital this gen doesn't seem to be a way I'll get in since so far I can't pre-order a digital copy.

viveks86

is it like Planetside 2? 2000 players in one server fighting each other and aliens in this case?
Is there a story?

Not exactly. YES. 2 kinds of vehicles that we know of so far.

There is so much about this game that's out there. If you have the time and patience, check these out :)

Just wanted to post information regarding Destiny in case some gamers would like to know more,

General

• The core experience has that similar Halo-esque "tight loop" of battling groups of varied enemies
  • Characters level up along a branching upgrade tree
  • The player character's appearance, gear and vehicles can be personalised
  • Bungie doesn't call it an "MMO" since it's a loaded term, it says Destiny is difficult to describe, but people that like MMOs will enjoy it
  • Humanity is guarding the last safe city on Earth against the enemy of the Traveler, who appeared generations ago and bestowed technology and mystical powers on humans to prep them for expansion into the solar system
  • Locations in Destiny include planets, moons, asteroids and other features of the solar system, and are open for exploration
  • The game is very much about the places players get to go and see
  • Technical director Chris Bucher says it's about finding out what happened on the Moon, interacting with alien factions, seeing what they're up to
  • Story has a conclusion
  • Bungie is hoping to keep offering new locations, storylines and other content to keep players coming back
  • There's lots of co-op and competitive content outside of the main story
Characters and progression
  • Destiny is attempting to give players choice and a "flexible suite of character creation tools and upgrades" to build and rebuild their characters
  • Multiple characters can be created and assigned in slots to encourage players to adopt numerous roles
  • Guardians races are mostly a cosmetic choice and early character creation offers basic choices such as gender, face customisation, hair styles and tattoos
  • Humans are survivors of the Collapse trying to rebuild civilization
  • The Awoken also survived the Collapse but have been deeply affected and are described as having an "aloof" personality.
  • The exo are self-aware machines built during the golden-age of humanity, but have no memory after their reboot; they draw on familiar sci-fi archetypes.
  • Class choice is important as each has "a strongly defined role". In MMO speak all characters are damage-per-second characters, but can solve different situations differently. Bungie calls it "more of an emotional archetype"
  • While class choice dictates the style of abilities that characters can unlock, Focus determine the ability itself
  • A 'Focus' is described as a sub-class, and the main way characters level and improve
  • Focus goes from level one to 20 with abilities, passive bonuses, grenades and more unlocking along the way
  • Focus let's players "take the Traveler's light and turn it into effects in the world... [it] defines how you're going to be playing the game right now, much more so than your class"
  • Each upgrade tree is "distinct" with each tier offering new and different things ranging from proximity and homing grenades to upgrades that alter movement with teleports and double-jumps. Another tier may have changes for melee or upgrades for a super ability
  • Focus can be swapped out at will, much like picking a new weapon. Players can pick a different Focus profile to change the way the character plays without having to throw the character away and start from scratch, as in most MMOs.
  • Warlocks draw on the mysterious power of the Traveler for spells to supplement their gun-shooting
  • Classes also have one piece of unique gear, for Warlocks this is robes.
  • Warlocks star with a focus called "Circle of Night", it offers them good damage potential but less protection. The Focus' super ability is called the Nova Bomb, and can wipe out large groups of enemies from a distance. But another focus, 'Hear of Fusion', can also be built-up if the player wants to play a support role
  • Titans are heavily armoured and space marine-like. They're suited to charging in and taking damage and their Focus is designed to make them deadly at close-quarters. The 'Fist of Havoc' super ability can be used to create shockwaves and, later on, can be imbued with electrical charges
  • Hunters are a middle ground, they are bounty hunters that use pistols and are suited to stalking enemies. They start with the gunslinger Focus that lets them do big damage to single targets, but their super is a special weapon capable of one-hit-kills
  • Players will need to think about how Focus and their gear work together, since some items carry their own bonuses and abilities
  • An accompanying floating AI companion can be used as a flashlight
  • A personal vehicle likened to a speeder from Star Wars can be customised and used to move between locations in the open-world. It cannot, however, be used in combat.
  • Players also have a unique personal spaceship that is used to warp between planets. It can be seen floating in orbit along with those belonging to other players before co-op. There's an element of showing off with a spaceship's design
Races
  • The Fallen: Vicious space pirates made up of once noble species. They've fallen from grace and wear distinct sigils to represent their allegiances. They're arachnid-like in build, with four arms. They have mechanical vehicles inspired by Japanese mechs. Dregs are the lowest of the fallen, so they've had two of their arms chopped off. Vandals wield swords and guns and charge into battle. Captains are strategists coordinating battles; they have energy shields and are well-armoured. Shanks are mechanical drones that are essentially hovering turrets.
  • The Cabal: A corrupt "industrial, militaristic empire" that is imposing in everything from physical stature to their "unwavering resolve". Legionnaires dive into battle, while Centurions are mobile thanks to jump jets that launch them across battlefields. Gladiators are very big and strong, often shooting Gatling guns. Psions, meanwhile, use their mind powers to pilot ships
  • Vex: A familiar science fiction machine race that arrives in the player's time and space via warp gates. They are mostly machine, but show signs of organic elements. They shrug off headshots, but are staggered by damage to their abdomen, where their power cores are housed. Vex Goblins swarm enemies, while Minotaurs are larger and potentially more damaging. Hydras are robotic centipedes that float around the air and attack, while Harpies move in and out of battles
  • The Hive are an ancient race kept alive on "tomb-like sarcophagus ships". Thralls attack in a mob-like formation to pester the enemy while Troopers do the big damage. They are joined by Knights with giant cleavers, Wizards flying overhead and blasting Darkness-fuelled spells. Finally, the Orge is massive and enjoys stepping on things
Locations
  • Old Russia: Here players can explore the ruins of the Cosmodrome, a real location in Kazakhstan that serves as a launch site for the Russian space program. The Cosmodrome was humanity's bridge to outer space; it's now home to colony ships forgotten in the wake of its collapse
  • Venus: Once a scientific research settlement for humanity, it has now become engulfed in a jungle and a sulphuric storm rages. The buildings are being eroded away by the ocean but at its centre is the Vex citadel, a tower with an unknown purpose.
  • Mars: Formerly a thriving metropolis, it is now buried under a sand, with only the peaks of skyscrapers visible. It's home to the Cabal, who are clashing with the Vex.
  • The Tower: Home for the guardians, described as "Earth's Camelot". This is where players will be able to purchase items from vendors, turn in quest items, and interact with other players. It also has "class-focused areas" for Titans, Warlocks, and Hunters
  • Earth's Moon: Infested by the Hive, the moon's surface has splintered and spread around space. It once housed a human colony, but much of it has been buried in lunar soil.
Co-op and competitive
  • There is a defined story in Destiny, but there are plenty of side-quests that can be tackled without other players
  • Bungie has implemented a system that does matchmaking in the background to make it easy to get in and out of solo/co-op play. It says "the whole game is matchmade, in one sense... we have that technology running all the time invisibly"
  • All players are together in one world, instead of spread out across different servers like MMOs
  • It links together small groups based on the locations they're in and the times
  • Some areas are designed so that three players can go there and play through without being interrupted by other groups, while others are big public areas where the difficulty is scaled to match the amount of players
  • In competitive game modes downed players can be revived before they respawn
  • Guardians start without access to heavy ammo and pick-ups are dropped in occasionally to encourage collisions
  • Maps are quite vertical and players have lots of movement options to help them get around
  • Environments shift and change
Gameplay
  • Halo players will feel at home with Destiny's shooting
  • Left trigger is always ironsight
  • Right bumper is melee, but the type of melee attacks differ depending on the player's chosen Focus
  • Left stick click starts a sprint
  • Y/Triangle swaps weapons between primary and secondary, but holding the button brings out a heavy weapon
  • Left bumper throws grenade
  • A/X jumps and can be double tapped to activate the movement tied to a Focus ability
  • Both bumpers held down will wind-up a super which, depending on your character, can be a high-damaging attack, a support action such as reviving/buffing/healing, or something else entirely

Direct Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/441264/destiny-new-gameplay-races-and-multiplayer-details-released/

viveks86

Yeah, I kind of doubt that anything Titanfall has done (or any other game for that matter) has changed Bungie's plan for how they are going to roll out. Those guys seem to do what they feel like and it usually works out fairly well. All of the pre-order cards in stores still say spring 2014 and I'm disappointed I won 'to be playing the full game by then, but definitely sounds like that is beta time then. Though since I'm going all digital this gen doesn't seem yo be a way I'll get in since so far I can't pre-order a digital copy.

Here's an idea:

I have a strict no pre-order policy, so no beta fun for me :(

Is there a story?

- yes & no. All players in one server, but there are situations that make players/teams/etc invisible to each other outside of specific events locations.

Eg. you don't see another fire-team/player when doing exploration in dungeons. However, when it's a final boss with a lot of grunts, then suddenly 50 players appear simultaneously to fight it.

- yes, there is story and end-game.

- many vehicles? There will be vehicles, but many is unknown.

Leb

Not exactly. YES. 2 kinds of vehicles that we know of so far.

There is so much about this game that's out there. If you have the time and patience, check these out :)

I read every word you quoted and I still don't have a strong sense of what kind of game Destiny's going to be.

Possibly that's because Destiny is something new that will defy easy classification; possibly it's because their explanations seem to be bordering on the deliberately vague.

viveks86

I read every word you quoted and I still don't have a strong sense of what kind of game Destiny's going to be.

Possibly that's because Destiny is something new that will defy easy classification; possibly it's because their explanations seem to be bordering on the deliberately vague.

Agreed. We really need to see a lot more of the game in action for those very reasons :)

Mortemis

Banned
I really hope it comes in May, the earlier the better. I haven't been this excited for a new IP in forever, and I got a good feeling Bungie won't disappoint me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game is going to consume my life. My Halo bros from college all bought PS4s so we could play this together. So pumped for the beta and the final game.

Top Bottom