• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey release appears to be imminent

zroid

Banned
dp5e.png

Probably tomorrow.

(btw it's supposed to cost $29.99)

update: Natsume confirmed March 20th

Why do so many games want to have similar named to Abes Oddysee?

Because this

The name is written as four kanji characters: umi, hara, kawa, se meaning sea, belly, river, back. This is an extraction from a Japanese kitchen idiom "Sea fish are fat in the belly; river fish are fat in the back.". Shun means "in season".

Probably wouldn't translate / sell well

Also Abe doesn't own Odyssey any more than Candy Crush owns Candy

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Because this

It's the combination of Odd with Odyssee that makes it sound like Oddworld at a glance. Something Odyssee on its own wouldn't make me bat an eye. But put Odd and Odyssee near each other and I'll insantly think Oddworld. Plus there that game I found out about earlier called Abyss Odyssee. Seems to be a common theme today.

1emons

Neo Member
It's about fucking time this game came out. I would laugh my ass off if they announced the release date as next week.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Glad to see we're finally getting a release date/more news on this, especially since it was suppose to be released back in Jan. Just a shame $30 is a bit too high for me. Wish I had some spare cash for that eShop card sale at Best Buy...

bigmac996

Great game! Bought the Japanese release last summer and still play it. it's perfect for short gaming sessions, and has lasting value finding the hidden doors and new paths. Boss fights are great too! Definitely worth the 30 bucks

It got a physical release in Japan. It's region locked, but if you only want a shelf buddy for Shun, just import that.
The region locking is the killer here, I don't want it as just a decoration. I want the satisfaction of popping it into my 3DS and playing, the whole package. I'd gladly import it otherwise.

Shit, I only have 24 bucks in my account. Wish this was a retail release outside Japan.
ah well suppose its time to get an eshop card, I've been waiting soo long for this one.

rjc571

Banned
Great game! Bought the Japanese release last summer and still play it. it's perfect for short gaming sessions, and has lasting value finding the hidden doors and new paths. Boss fights are great too! Definitely worth the 30 bucks

I thought the boss fights sucked tbh, the rest of the game was terrific though.

Camjo-Z

What I'm hoping: "YOO is out TODAY!"

What I'm expecting: "Nintendo's finally reeled in a release date! Mark your calendars for July 27th!"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is it expected today or next week?
Unless it's mentioned in the press release today, I'm expecting later this month, especially since the game still isn't listed on Nintendo.com & they've already listed the games coming today.

Koppai

Nintendo can put stuff on the eShop anytime they want, don't forget that. They usually do it during Nintendo Direct's however. I'm glad more Japanese games are coming but wish we had a way to get a physical copy by either paying for it upfront or what have you.

genjiZERO

Why do so many games want to have similar named to Abes Oddysee?

I blame that hack Homer.

Because this

You know I think the people buying this game are likely to prefer the original title. This is pretty niche, and I think people buying it are buying it for the cultural experience as much as the game itself. With games like this I think I think publishers should embrace the minimalized localisation.

It would never happen, but would be a good social or economic experiment. You could have two games of similar content and quality both of which are likely to target a niche audience (people who like quirky Japanese games). One you give a full blown localisation. The other is localised as minimally as possible (it's given English menus and a coherent but semi-literal translation. but that's it - everything else is left as is original title, cultural references, audio track, etc). Repeat this with several games, and see which sells more.

I'd predict that the niche market would likely buy both in equal proportions. Unless you do things to piss off that niche like caucasianising characters (like in Zettai Zetsumei Toshi) or English only audio track (Yakuza 1) of course. But courting new purchasers? That I don't know. I'd predict however that they would be minimal, and that you'd see little difference in overall sales. It would then beg the question, from an economics point of view, if putting money in localisations of niche titles is worth it.

Oops, this post went on longer than I expected.... I've got social experiments on the brain right now!

zroid

Banned
Natsume Inc.
@Natsume_Inc

Excited to confirm Yumi's Odd Odyssey will be available exclusively on the US 3DS eShop starting in just 2 weeks, March 20th! #YOO-HOO!

Camjo-Z

Unsurprising, but at least we finally have a fixed date.

Unless you do things to piss off that niche like caucasianising characters (like in Zettai Zetsumei Toshi)

I had completely forgotten about that. The Aryan Domination™ in Raw Danger was hysterical.

Top Bottom