• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney review thread

Kazerei

Banned
The game will be released in Europe on March 28th, and in North America later this year.

Nintendo World Report: 8.5/10
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is one beautifully crafted game and an extremely well put together crossover. The original story has many twists and it becomes more interesting as everything unfolds. The intriguing cast of characters, seamless transitions of the two gameplay styles and stunning presentation makes this all one adventure you don't want to miss. It will be somewhat easy for veterans and that is a slight irritation, but nothing that should stop you from having a fine time in Labyrinthia. If you have been searching for the next big Nintendo 3DS game, well, you have just found it. With roughly 25 hours of content and additional free stuff coming at a later date, you would be shamefully missing one of the best games to ever grace the system.

GameSpot: 8/10
THE GOOD
+ Some of the best courtroom scenes of any Ace Attorney
+ Hysterical dialogue
+ Quality cutscenes make the story a delight
+ Interesting setting that makes character crossover seem plausible
THE BAD
− Layton's sections are not as interesting as Phoenix's
− Feels like two games, rather than a cohesive one

Eurogamer: 8/10
"All rise!"

"Your Honour, we are here today to hear the case of Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, two popular 3DS puzzle series brought together for the first time by franchise creators Level-5 and Capcom. We will seek to establish that this collaboration has been both creatively fruitful and rewarding for fans of both."

Nintendo Life: 8/10
Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney delivers an utterly charming, enjoyable experience to satisfy fans of both franchises; it's a crossover that, when experienced, seems entirely natural. The individual parts are pleasurable and entertaining, as always, though perhaps fall a little below the exceptional standards of their main-series contemporaries, and there's a lingering sense that more gameplay innovation to blend the two brands could have been explored. These are minor complaints in the grand scheme of a lengthy adventure, however, and the storytelling — combined with character development — has been delicately constructed; Level-5 and Capcom have done a commendable job. The end result is another 3DS title that exemplifies much of what sets Nintendo's portable hardware and supporting software apart; it provides heart-warming, accessible fun, and entertainment to last for many hours.

Edge Online: 7/10
Though the necessities of catering to two different audiences mean that it perhaps never quite reaches the heights of either of the pair’s best individual outings, as the credits roll, you’ll likely experience a hollow feeling, the emptiness that only the best stories leave behind. In the end, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is a collaboration that rarely feels like a compromise; few, we imagine, would object to a rematch.

Metro: 9/10
In Short: Probably the most satisfying video games crossover ever made, and one that plays with the conventions of both franchises and still delivers a funny and touching story.

Pros: Utterly charming from the first moment, with a structure that never short changes either game or its characters. Some interesting twists to Ace Attorney’s gameplay and fantastic presentation.

Cons: It is still possible to get completely stuck on the Layton puzzles, although there’s a little more help than usual with Phoenix. It’s pretty easy to guess how the plot is going to end.

The Sixth Axis: 7/10
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is very much a jack of all trades, master of none. The puzzles in the Adventure scenario can be enjoyable, but are mostly far too easy and it feels like the whole thing was designed on autopilot, and I was disappointed with the way the plot explained certain things away. Thankfully, the witch trials are a lot better, and certainly provide the high points for the game.

Don’t get me wrong, the game is certainly above average, but doesn’t come close to touching the best that Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright has to offer.

God is a Geek: 7/10
Fittingly, the combination of the two series is a logical one. You use puzzles to find evidence to support a case, and it all makes sense, which is vital for this kind of crossover. Similarly, creating a new setting blends the world together better than making only one of them a fish out of water. But while the crossover may make sense, neither the Layton or the Wright sections are perfect. It’s all a bit too “entry level” on both counts.

Japanator: 8/10 (import)
Rather than relying on multidimensional portals or hackneyed excuses as to why these two franchises can come together, Shu Takumi (Ace Attorney) and his staff keep it simple. Layton lives in England and Phoenix lives in Japan. There's absolutely no reason why the two of them can't meet, which lends Layton vs AA consistency in terms of its overall narrative. These are the characters you know and love, and it feels surprisingly natural to see them interact and work together on screen. Professor Layton's wisdom and confidence complement Phoenix Wright's goofy underdog personality in ways that play with player expectations. Likewise, Luke and Maya are adorable together, forming something of an older sister/little brother bond. Bringing Shu Takumi, on board was clearly the right decision, as he manages to make these crossover relationships feel natural.
So Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney somehow manages to come together on a narrative level, but what about the gameplay? This is where I think people might need to temper their expectations. The game is divided into two very clear sections: the Layton part, and the Ace Attorney part. The different gameplay in both sections never really comes together in a cohesive way, which is something of a disappointment.

CVG: 8/10
The rest of the game follows the same structure as that featured in the prologue: a Layton exploration section, then a Wright courtroom section, then back to Layton again and so forth. Given the story's unusually long adventure - taking us around 30 hours to finish it, it's twice as long as an entry from either series - it's essentially two full games split into chapter-sized chunks and mixed together.
Does it work in practice? For the most part, yes. Fans of both series can be satisfied that each game is respectfully handled and well represented in this joint-venture, though there's still room for improvement.

IGN: 7.8/10
Ace Attorney and Professor Layton complement each other well, but in coming together, both have lost a little something of their challenge. I actually liked it most in the first two hours, before I was transported to Labyrinthia with all its medieval tropes and supernatural goings-on, when the thrill of hearing Ace Attorney sound effects against an aural backdrop of Layton background music was still fresh. Whatever else it is, Layton vs Wright is excellent fan service, and at 20-plus hours it’s far from insubstantial.
This unique crossover is a powerful draw for fans of either series, but it doesn’t make the most of its potential. It sacrifices some of both series’ challenge, and the alternate-universe story feels like a missed opportunity where there could have been more meaningful interaction between the worlds of Wright and Layton. The witty dialogue writing, however, is as charming and enjoyable as ever.

Pocket Gamer: 8/10 (import)

Digital Spy: 4/5

Nintendo Insider: 9/10

Games TM: 7/10

Metacritic compilation

Gamerankings compilation

I personally think it's a better Ace Attorney game than it is a Layton game, but I'm also not as crazy for the latter as I am the former.

Holykael1

Banned
Fuck me sideways.. I will have to start saving up for a 3DS. Going to have to import a NA one because of SMT IV(Im european).. Damn you Nintendo!

ZeroX03

Banned
Who's publishing this? Props to them for ending the review embargo a week before launch, Nintendo been doing that a lot lately. Looks like good reviews and I love me some Ace Attorney (and like me some Layton).

Edit: yep Nintendo published. Good shit.

After reading those snippets, I'm feeling pretty good about my pre-order.

Just started Dual Destinies the other day and I'm having a lot of fun with it...It's been too long! Surprised by how great the 3D models look, which I thought I would hate after the beautifully drawn animation of the old ace attorney games.

Frolow

Banned
Who's publishing this? Props to them for ending the review embargo a week before launch, Nintendo been doing that a lot lately. Looks like good reviews and I love me some Ace Attorney (and like me some Layton).

Think Nintendo is publishing this one, not entirely sure though.

Anyway, scores are what I expected. Will pick this up whenever it comes out in the states.

FluxWaveZ

+ Some of the best courtroom scenes of any Ace Attorney

Um... that's some really high praise. I don't really believe it; Ace Attorney has had some extremely memorable courtroom scenes and I was not expecting this game to have scenes of that caliber.

Like many others, the reason I'm most interested in this game is for the Ace Attorney side. I imagine I'll be somewhat annoyed by the Professor Layton side, though I haven't played much of the series.

Can't wait but the Wright model in comparison to AA5 DD ;__; this game should have came out before DD, fees like such a downgrade when you see the 3D models...
37.png

rekameohs

Banned
Damn, I wasn't expecting the reviews to be this glowing. I'll just have to look past the huge downgrade in graphics from AA5 and pick this one up.
wherez the US release date, yo

Some of the witnesses look and move fantastically, but there's no question that AA5 has the better models/animation.

It's one of the reasons I think it was a poor move to release this post 5 instead of before. I think a lot of folks are gonna have trouble moving backwards.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
damn i forgot this is coming out. Gonna buy it asap, but goddamn SMTIV keeps throwing content at me

GSR

I'm surprised the embargo's up already, given the game's still not out for a week and a half.

The reviews all sound right around where I expected them, and a lot of them line up with my own thoughts on the game. It's a good game and a lot of fun, but there's no denying the pacing problems or that the Layton segments tend to get outshone.

GSR

Ouch, that's pretty painful. Ace Attorney 5's models had a ton of character to them; this just lacks any of that.

To be fair, Wright's model is one of the weaker ones in the game, and he has the disadvantage of having a DD version to compare to. Many of the other characters' animations work much better, and the artstyle matches them much better.

DD is still much better, of course, but don't write off PLvsPW until you've played it.

FluxWaveZ

The Layton games all have fully voiced cutscenes, and it looks like PLvAA will be held up to that standard. Gonna be weird hearing Phoenix say more than just a few catchphrases.

Have we heard Maya's voice yet? This should be the first time ever hearing her, right?

Have they dropped any hints as to when we could see a NA release?

Can't wait for this but Amazon doesn't even have a preorder page up, which makes me feel this may be far off.

GSR

Have we heard Maya's voice yet? This should be the first time ever hearing her, right?

There was a video message from Akihiro Hino where she was talking in the background, but you couldn't really hear her all that well. Sounded fairly British, as I recall.

daydream

Banned
I love both series and it's great that this liaison is a thing.

That said, it's the AA part of the equation that will make me go out and buy it day 1.

Kazerei

Banned
30 hours long... Holy shit

Some of the other reviewers pegged it around 20 hours. I guess it depends on how fast you read or blast through the text. CVG and GameSpot took their time.

Nintendo World Report: "With roughly 25 hours of content ..."
GameSpot: "... this entire 30-hour-plus (yes, 30 hours...plus!) adventure..."
Eurogamer: "There's easily 20 hours of gameplay here..."
Nintendo Life: "It took us over 20 hours to complete the adventure..."
Metro: "...the game is around 20 hours long..."
The Sixth Axis: "Reaching the end credits took me over 19 hours, and that isn’t even with completing all of the puzzles on offer"

When is this coming out in the US?
Did I mention, "When is this coming out in the US?"

Salsa

30 hours long... Holy shit

well that depends on how you go through things. Some people clocked very few hours into AA5, I think I was around the 20s when I finished it (without the DLC), simply from trying to check out all the dialogue, etc.

GSR

Is every voice actor in this game going to be British now that it's launching in Europe first?

Seems like it, since NoE is handling the localization. Though NoA will have to re-record Luke's voice at least, so who knows, maybe they'll redo a few others as well.

With regards to length: I think even if PLvsPW and DD are about the same hours-wise for someone, PLvsPW will feel longer if only due to its plot being one long story rather than the segmented cases of DD.

So any reason to have this on my radar if I love Ace Attorney, but hate Layton?

Yes, of course. The AA parts are the stronger half of the game in my opinion, and it's fun to see Takumi play around with the idea of 'magical' trials. The game has some issues, but I wouldn't skip it.

Top Bottom