• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

flood in basement (gaming related console salvage question)

Deku Tree

Hello GAF tech support,

So I got about two inches of water in my basement this weekend. All my consoles are in my basement, but fortunately they are raised up off the floor and they didn't get wet. The same can NOT be said for my plugs and power supplies etc. So the plugs and power supplies were plugged in an submerged in water for possibly up to 24 hours before we discovered the basement water pool.

My question is the following: can I dry out the power supplies and safely plug them back in and use them again? Or should I not even attempt that and instead replace all of that stuff and hope that the electronics still works anyway?

Thanks! DT

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Dude sorry to hear. I had a flood of sewer water a few months ago, and luckily got everything out in time.

Let's see, which ones are modular, 360 and the Wii? New consoles? In my case I had a lot of classic consoles so we were just talking about wet cords...

Deku Tree

Dude sorry to hear. I had a flood of sewer water a few months ago, and luckily got everything out in time.

Let's see, which ones are modular, 360 and the Wii? New consoles? In my case I had a lot of classic consoles so we were just talking about wet cords...

Well my Wii U has a power brick. Should I re-use it or just try to buy a new one somehow? I think my PS3 just has a wet power cord though... What about the surge protector strips? Should those be trashed? Thanks!

If they were connected AND submerged for potentially an extended period of time, I'm not sure I'd roll the dice plugging them back into your devices. You can try drying them out for a few days, cover them in plain dry white rice and try to extract every bit of moisture, but you're probably looking at a loss of those power supplies. Same with the surge protectors. I started mounting surge protectors on walls after a run in with water damage.

Anion

Well my Wii U has a power brick. Should I re-use it or just try to buy a new one somehow? I think my PS3 just has a wet power cord though... What about the surge protector strips? Should those be trashed? Thanks!
I don't have experience on this stuff, but this sounds dangerous as crap. I would pay for the power brick if it is a reasonable price

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I don't have experience on this stuff, but this sounds dangerous as crap. I would pay for the power brick if it is a reasonable price

Yeah some of those bricks have their own internal fans (or is that just XBox One) and so if they are dead I suppose there could be some danger there. Definitely new power strips.

If I were you I'd get new bricks for the modular ones, Wii, WiiU, 360, etc. You probably got a lot of other possible expenses right now, but as you know it could have been worse!

EVIL

I would try to get replacement power bricks if I where you. maybe you can find some at ebay or something. I wouldn't even attempt using the old ones. especially since they where plugged in. Also where your consoled turned off like, really off during the flood?

if not, the power surge of having a plugged power cord/power bricks underwater might have damaged those to, even when the console unit itself is dry.

Deku Tree

I would try to get replacement power bricks if I where you. maybe you can find some at ebay or something. I wouldn't even attempt using the old ones. especially since they where plugged in. Also where your consoled turned off like, really off during the flood?

if not, the power surge of having a plugged power cord/power bricks underwater might have damaged those to, even when the console unit itself is dry.

No the consoles were all plugged into the wall, but in the off state.

So my Wii U still had the little red light on even though there was two inches of water in my basement and the power brick and the power strip were submerged under the water !!!

I hate hearing that. Lost my launch PsOne and all my games my NES my Saturn and games in a basement flood.
I was able to restore some of the discs but the packaging and consoles were ruined

Skeff

No the consoles were all plugged into the wall, but in the off state.

So my Wii U still had the little red light on even though there was two inches of water in my basement and the power brick and the power strip were submerged under the water !!!

I'd dry out the cables(both ends in rice) or re-buy if there really cheap like PS1/PS2 cables and re-buy the power bricks.

Wereroku

I would be wary of using water damaged power supplies simply because it could break your consoles as well. For the WiiU and XBO give Msoft and Ninty a call and see if they would just replace them for you under warranty. If it is just a cord like ps4 just dry them really well and they should be good to go.

EVIL

So it still held a current when your power brick was submerged...

Imbarkus

Yes... Indeed... What does that mean?

got-lucky.png

Could have been a fire too!

Deku Tree

Just wanted to post an update.

Called Nintendo and they are sending me a new Wii U power brick for free because they feel bad that the flood was not my fault.

However the power bricks are backordered so not sure when I'll get it.

They also said it is OK to use the power brick for right now if it works. The guy claimed that using the existing power brick would not harm my Wii U since the brick has a surge protector in it. However the power brick could fail or start to smoke or something like that which I should monitor, and unplug it when it is not in use.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Top Bottom